These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123
 

A fix for the fix for AFK cloaking

Author
Goldiiee
Bureau of Astronomical Anomalies
#41 - 2013-03-14 22:08:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Goldiiee
Anyone else think removing local is like Zaphod Beeblebrox's favorite Sunglasses:
'They were a double pair of Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses, which had been specially designed to help people develop a relaxed attitude to danger. At the first hint of trouble they turn totally black and thus prevent you from seeing anything that might alarm you.'

Douglas Adams

Edit: Forgot to give the literary genius credit

Things that keep me up at night;  Why do we use a voice communication device to send telegraphs? Moore's Law should state, Once you have paid off the last PC upgrade you will need another.

AZENBRAKEN
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#42 - 2013-03-14 22:14:53 UTC
Please do not nerf cloaking, fix the local problem. That is all.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#43 - 2013-03-14 22:16:58 UTC
Goldiiee wrote:
Anyone else think removing local is like Zaphod Beeblebrox's favorite Sunglasses:
'They were a double pair of Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses, which had been specially designed to help people develop a relaxed attitude to danger. At the first hint of trouble they turn totally black and thus prevent you from seeing anything that might alarm you.'

That's a funny analogy.
Lol

I like Douglas Adams writings myself, good stuff.

As to removing local, it is dumbing down gameplay and consequently potential rewards in some parts of the game.
We are actually getting players who seem to complain about other pilots hunting them in the game!

You would not expect this sort of thing from pilots in null, but go figure....
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#44 - 2013-03-14 22:42:26 UTC
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:


Its constantly reported as part of an organised campaign by the null bears in the hope that if they moan long enough and often enough then someone at CCP might adopt their suggestion.

Thats why I always post to say that afk cloaking is fine. The bears want all of the rewards of null sec without any of the risks. If they thought about it for a minute though they would realise that an afk player has never harmed anyone.


It is constantly reported because it is one of the main reasons so many industrialists stay in high sec.

It sucks because you don't even have to be "playing the game" to be effecting the game.... And then they whine about afk miners... sheesh.

If you want to shut down a null bear system, then you should have to actually, you know... be playing the game. Warping from safe to safe, creating new safes, some risk you could mess up and get caught.


Log in, hit cloak, go to work, come back 12 hours later to laugh at how you have shut down the system (and caused another dozen null bears to return to being high sec carebears). That is some ubber game play on your part.a


Bot detected. Roll

Here is the thing, move over a system. If the guy is AFK he wont follow you.

As for null industry...bahahahahahaha....there is minimal industry in null. Most of it is in high sec because it is better in high sec, and no it has nothing to do with afk cloaking. High sec industry is better because you have more slots and access to better facilities. In high sec you can do everything in a single system. In null you can't.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#45 - 2013-03-14 23:10:58 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:


Here is the thing, move over a system. If the guy is AFK he wont follow you.


Outposts, system upgrades, POSes, rental agreements, etc, etc, etc,

In null, you can't just "move over a system" on a whim.

So, instead, I move back to high sec.



The local problem.... there is no local problem. The problem is that AFK cloakers can effect the game when not even at their keyb..... heck, not even in the house that the keyboard is in.

If you want to F with someone, you should, you know, have to be playing the game, not just log in, cloak up, then leave the house for hours.

LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#46 - 2013-03-14 23:12:53 UTC
Remove local in null, and null will be empty. More empty than low sec.

It will be much easier to hunt...but there will be no one there to hunt.
DataRunner Attor
Doomheim
#47 - 2013-03-14 23:15:49 UTC
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Remove local in null, and null will be empty. More empty than low sec.

It will be much easier to hunt...but there will be no one there to hunt.



total fail, if you remove local, it will be that much harder to hunt someone as to hide from someone. Jeeze people are as thick as a brick sometimes.

Local at it current state is used by both the hunters, so they they don't have to spend hours scanning each and every system to see if someone there, and by the hunted so they know when suddenly dock up if someone enter their system and they are not blue.

“Point out to me a person who has been harmed by an AFK cloaker and I will point out a person who has no business playing this game.”

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#48 - 2013-03-14 23:28:27 UTC
Reasons why there are new threads about the same issue.

1) CCP has said somewhere that its a form of game play they do not like. But they also have not done anything. Maybe that's because they have yet to see the perfect idea about it. Hence the need to propose a new idea.

2) If you post in an old thread found via the search function, you are accused of necroing.

3) After using the search function you say "Some of those are interesting ideas, but none are MY idea, so Ill start a new thread with mine."

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#49 - 2013-03-14 23:40:55 UTC
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Outposts, system upgrades, POSes, rental agreements, etc, etc, etc,
In null, you can't just "move over a system" on a whim.
So, instead, I move back to high sec.


And move back to high sec, it's fine, is what 90% of current null sec crowd should do. There's nothing bad, is not mandatory to be in null or low and high sec is designed just for risk-adverse gameplay.

You already get huge bonuses and rewards in null, for the most part null is safer than HS too. But is still not enough, you want more, you want to be able to be 100% safe, 99% is not enough, while running your bot farms. You never adapt your gameplay and never put any effort, is the general gameplay always having to downgrade to adapt to you.

Go back to high sec, who cares...

Since Dominion CCP is nerfting EVE gameplay to make happy a small null bears minority, null was turned in a joke of farmvile. Enough is enough.

Go back to HS, it's fine.


Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#50 - 2013-03-15 18:26:37 UTC
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:


Here is the thing, move over a system. If the guy is AFK he wont follow you.


Outposts, system upgrades, POSes, rental agreements, etc, etc, etc,

In null, you can't just "move over a system" on a whim.

So, instead, I move back to high sec.



The local problem.... there is no local problem. The problem is that AFK cloakers can effect the game when not even at their keyb..... heck, not even in the house that the keyboard is in.

If you want to F with someone, you should, you know, have to be playing the game, not just log in, cloak up, then leave the house for hours.



You know, I actually do do a bit of industry in null and surprisingly rarely have issues with neuts in system. Whether 1 or 10. I do things like:

1. Have safe spots I can warp too.
2. Keep the intel channel open.
3. Watch local.
4. Fit a cloak of my own!
5. Have an insta-warp spot from undock.
6. Use a scout alt when jumping industrial haulers around.

And shockingly when I'm in a POS I am as safe as that cloaky camper. When I'm in station/outpost doing stuff for corp, etc. I'm as safe as the cloaky camper.

And guess what, it has been over a years since I've had an industrial alt killed in null.

And yes there is a local problem. It is a very, very good intel tool. See, here is how it works.

I want to jump into a system with my cloaky ship. I hit the jump button. For several seconds I sit there seeing the system I jumped out of and local. You, in the system I'm jumping into however, see me almost instantly after I hit the jump button. I know this because I run a dual screen set up and have seen it when using a scout alt/industrial alt.

So you get several seconds of advanced warning that I am going to be in system before I even load grid, let alone start aligning to some point to war to.

If you pay attention local chat will save your a$$ almost every time somebody comes hunting you. Thus, one solution is the cloaked ship at a safe...hoping to lull you into a false sense of safety ("Oh, ignore him he's AFK") so he can kill you himself or maybe cyno in the BLOPs gang to kill you.

Quote:
If you want to F with someone, you should, you know, have to be playing the game, not just log in, cloak up, then leave the house for hours.


Cry me a river. This happens with other things as well. Back aways my industrial alts were in hi sec doing indy stuff there. The standing orders whenever our industrial corp was decced was always the same: "Stay docked, don't die, don't give them cheap kills, they'll get bored and move on". Did these guys have to be at their keyboard to impact us? Nope. Did they have to be in their house/apartment? Nope.

I think freighter ganking does the same thing as well. It is the mere prospect that it could happen that makes me change the way I play. My freighter alt no longer autopilots through Udema while I'm afk. In fact, I'll set the autopilot to dock up a few systems before so I can come back later and fly it through manually. Do the freighter gankers have to be at their keyboard? Nope. Do they have to be home? Nope. But it has impacted how I play.

Do I come to the forums and whine and cry and kick my feet on the floor till I can barely breath? Nope. I developed a new strategy. Could the freighter gank squads change their strategies? Sure, and I'll do what I can to adapt to that.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#51 - 2013-03-15 18:30:36 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
Reasons why there are new threads about the same issue.

1) CCP has said somewhere that its a form of game play they do not like. But they also have not done anything. Maybe that's because they have yet to see the perfect idea about it. Hence the need to propose a new idea.

2) If you post in an old thread found via the search function, you are accused of necroing.

3) After using the search function you say "Some of those are interesting ideas, but none are MY idea, so Ill start a new thread with mine."



1. It is always the same sh***y ideas over and over and over again.

2. These doorknobs don't use the search function or Eve Search because of 1.

3. There is very, very rarely a new idea on how to nerf cloaky campers.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#52 - 2013-03-15 18:34:22 UTC
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Remove local in null, and null will be empty. More empty than low sec.

It will be much easier to hunt...but there will be no one there to hunt.


Right because WH space is empty...oh wait....

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Ham burgers
Flowers of Happiness
#53 - 2013-03-15 18:48:48 UTC
Oh lord, they took over my thread and turned it into a debate on AFK cloaking.
DataRunner Attor
Doomheim
#54 - 2013-03-15 18:57:45 UTC
Ham burgers wrote:
Oh lord, they took over my thread and turned it into a debate on AFK cloaking.



first let me put this first and foremost....your mug shot looks creepy as all hell.

second I didn't turn it into afk cloak, I was trying to turn it into fix local but that failed! D:

“Point out to me a person who has been harmed by an AFK cloaker and I will point out a person who has no business playing this game.”

Cyprus Black
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#55 - 2013-03-15 19:28:09 UTC
The problem with AFK cloaking is that it's not actually broken or misused. So many whiners and moaners cry that it is but in reality it isn't.

Summary of EvEs last four expansions: http://imgur.com/ZL5SM33

Onomerous
Shockwave Innovations
#56 - 2013-03-16 20:59:26 UTC
The fix for the fix for cloaking (AFK or otherwise) was put in (stealthy as well) by CCP in the last patch.

The fix was pretty easy for them... do nothing!! It's not broken so they don't have to fix it.
Previous page123