These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

New PC, & Windows 8

Author
Sergeant Acht Scultz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#21 - 2013-03-09 16:31:10 UTC
Kai Sheia wrote:
please move wherever would be best if neccessary, not sure where this sort of question is best suited for.

looking towards getting a new computer. the one I have now is REALLY terrible, so dang near anything will be an upgrade from what I have now. BUT, I've got a few questions, largely related to EVE, as its what I am most concerned with playing effectively.

the main uses for this computer would be usual internet-browsing type stuff, EVE (likely 2-3 boxing in the forseeable future), Tribes Ascend, possibly Mechwarrior Online. I don't need super-awesome maximum settings running at 1000fps or anything of that sort, just want it to run nicely at nice settings, rather than run barely-sufferably at minimum settings.

Windows 7 vs Windows 8.
not heard a lot of good things about Windows 8. how much of these issues are legitimate concerns, and how much is people just being reluctant about change?

in essence, what "warnings" would you have for someone who is thoroughly computer literate but a little out of date on some things, about choosing Windows 8 over Windows 7? what limitations or quirks might come up that one might wish they knew about ahead of time?

AMD Fusion Processors.
from what I've read, these processors likely would serve my needs and budget rather well. a particular system I'm looking at uses an A8-5600K, comes with 8gb ram, and can take up to 32gb. this seems like it should suit my needs to a T, am I missing anything about this that would make it substantially less-so?

I got the Win8 64 pro version while it was at promo prices -around 95 bucks- all I can say is for everything else than Eve this thing is absolutely fantastic.
If you really want your old bureau like you can, there's this little program named Classic Shell that helps you keep your old bureau style like XP Win7 or even 95/98

If you pick the regular recent rig with Win8 you can't notice that much the difference, I saw it only because my computers are all tuned by my self as per software installation, and hell the difference is the same between XP and Win8 than campaign route and a straight line highway foot to floor on gaz pedal.
Then current hardware with those multiple cores and logic cores (double)+memory amounts being totally managed with minimal resources by win8, put an XP in and it's giving candies to pigs, it can't handle all that memory or such recent hardware, it's a makeshift job no matter how much people will try to convince them selves it's not one.

Now in what Eve is concerned there's a little "Hic", some guys can run 10 accounts and more with, I couldn't play without a crash or freeze for 3 months now but got recently fixed and can now at least play graphics on top.

For the example, little it's true but still:
Blacklight Retribution -uses Dx11 -tessellation, flares and whatever you might think or imagine about graphics, I can play it with full settings on top (high) without crash freeze or anything else than the usual lag from pc-server communications with this kind of game

Planet side 2- it's not really known to be a monster for graphics but whatever, Physix and yada ya all settings on top (high), no crash freeze or even lag of whatever sort, nothing.

Eve, well depends, seems some guys never encountered issues with or did but since it's their job they just came here show how good they are and others are bad, anyway, a huge number of players have or had issues but CCP seems a bit more reactive to fix this.

Last but non least: if you buy whatever computer and just close yourself the door for everything else than Eve, you're doing it wrong.

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#22 - 2013-03-09 16:42:17 UTC
I got windows 8 recently

Apart from the start menu it's pretty much the same thing as 7. There are only a few things I dislike, and they're all minor

It took a while for me to find the 'shutdown' command (hold mouse at top-right corner, click 'settings', shutdown

You can't turn wifi off. Instead, you can only 'turn on airplane mode'. (ie turn wifi off) It took me a while to figure out what the hell it was

I still can't figure out how to turn off 'apps' (I hate that word) without using the task manager

None of that is actually a real issue though. It looks the same and runs everything the same as 7, just a little better
Sergeant Acht Scultz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#23 - 2013-03-09 16:50:12 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
Stuff

Here it is, this is what you need.

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

Aaron Canis
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2013-03-09 17:14:25 UTC
Computer technician and Windows 8 user here.

I have had no problems using my Windows 8 since I got it back in October. I recently started playing Eve again a couple of days ago and so far Eve has run smoothly.

Working as a computer tech the problems I have seen with Windows 8 have been due to user error and compatibilty. Given most compatibility issues are from upgrades in which the user did not check the specs of their computer to see if they can operate with Windows 8, did not check for available driver updates, or have not checked to see if software they want to use is compatible with Windows 8.

My adviced, Windows 8 is compatible with Eve so you should have no problems there. Just make sure that you perform all your Windows updates and be prepared to get used to a new operating system.

Hope this helps! Big smile
Mon Diddies
Indigo Generation
#25 - 2013-03-09 17:47:24 UTC
windows 8 is great once you get used to it.
with that said i bought this comp just for EvE and got it the day 8 came out.
dell insperion (like 6600 or something)
intel i5 3330 ivy bridge 4 core
ddr3 11 gig
intel hd graphics
1 tb hd
blah blah anyways great comp 700 dollars usd at wallmart
runs 5 clients no lag GPU never goes above 41
never once heard the fan.
take my advice its a cheap well worth it comp.

Dont believe anything you read, and only half of what you see. To be fair dont trust what you hear either.!!!!!!! TINFOIL ACTIVATE!!!!!!!!!

Dheeradj Nurgle
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#26 - 2013-03-09 17:55:22 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:

It took a while for me to find the 'shutdown' command (hold mouse at top-right corner, click 'settings', shutdown

I still can't figure out how to turn off 'apps' (I hate that word) without using the task manager

If you are a shortcut man, Win+I for quick access to shut down.

Closing the Metro Applications is done by dragging from the top to the bottom. (This is weird, but a minor anoyance after finding out how. Took me some time too.)
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#27 - 2013-03-09 18:14:18 UTC
Shocked It works. Thankyou.

(It still makes no sense to me, though)
Dheeradj Nurgle
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#28 - 2013-03-09 18:31:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Dheeradj Nurgle
Benny Ohu wrote:
Shocked It works. Thankyou.

(It still makes no sense to me, though)

I fully agree, but atleast it eases the pain.

Win+X is also neat :p
Zoe Schereau
Interstellar Expeditionary Group
Einstein-Rosen Brigade
#29 - 2013-03-13 18:06:10 UTC
Just got a new laptop with Win8, as well. The EVE client is running like gangbusters, save for the odd FPS issues.

I'd like to dual box on this baby, but am unsure if it's wise to follow the instructions for the Win7 dual box.

Any pointers to Win8 dual box instructions?
Palovana
Inner Fire Inc.
#30 - 2013-03-13 19:22:36 UTC
Leetha Layne
#31 - 2013-03-13 19:44:21 UTC
Zoe Schereau wrote:
Just got a new laptop with Win8, as well. The EVE client is running like gangbusters, save for the odd FPS issues.

I'd like to dual box on this baby, but am unsure if it's wise to follow the instructions for the Win7 dual box.

Any pointers to Win8 dual box instructions?

If you are already comfortable with Win 8, yes set it up like Win 7 dual box. I strongly recommend a second monitor.
Previous page12