These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Largest problem with the EVE economy

Author
zarkaron
Brave Empire Inc.
Brave United
#21 - 2013-02-27 23:52:50 UTC
The inability to see who you are buying from before your purchase.
Candy Oshea
Techfree Investment Group
#22 - 2013-02-28 00:10:31 UTC
players with no patience.

builders that don't calculate there profits properly, when all they are doing really is flipping minerals using the product as a vehicle.

builders that don't spread out there orders out and place 2300 of an item at the lowest price & update it regularly. (creating a un-intentional blocking order, which generally tumbles there own market)

Centralization of the whole games economy around 1 system, 1 station.

iCandy  - I have accidently swallowed some Scrabble tiles, my next shit could spell disaster!

mechtech
Ice Liberation Army
#23 - 2013-02-28 00:40:08 UTC
High sec/no risk activities provide too much income. Most ships represent a few hours of playtime at most, and even capitals aren't really worth that much. Too much in the game is expendable, even objects that used to be very large corporate investments, like POSs are now just "meh" if they get blown up for most people.
Wescro
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#24 - 2013-02-28 00:48:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Wescro
This isn't my observation, though I'm forgetting now where I read it. It basically goes like this: EVE is unlike a real economy because an invisible bank holds all your ISK and makes it available to you no matter where you are. This renders any legitmate bank like businesses moot.

Now if ISK was an item, and you had to carry it on you, and risk losing it, then we'd see a lot of interesting, realistic economic phenomenon play out. It would make banks that hold your money and move it securely for you viable businesses. You would see things like the EVE equivalent of Western Union money transfer. You might even see financial entities slowly evolve to the point where they trade derivative instruments based on ISK deposits, and then we could have their greed bring down the EVE economy and go through a galactic depression and blame the space 1% for our troubles.

Something like that.
Whang'Lo
Cosmically Irrelevant
#25 - 2013-02-28 00:48:15 UTC
No attention to detail on a working stock market.

The whole storyline/backdrop of EvE is a vast world controlled and run by corporations. So this means by
definition the game should have a sophisticated stock market system.

I understand that a stock market system in a video game is subject to griefing/scamming/manipulation,
especially in this game. But it's totally doable, it just has to be well thought out and all the angles covered.

[u]A Paranoid is just someone with all the facts - William Burroughs[/u]

Wigglenomics
C O C A I N E
#26 - 2013-02-28 01:03:30 UTC
Varius Xeral wrote:
My dong.

confirming Varius's dong causes major lag and screws up the economy.
Candy Oshea
Techfree Investment Group
#27 - 2013-02-28 01:07:14 UTC
Wigglenomics wrote:
Varius Xeral wrote:
My dong.

confirming Varius's dong causes major lag and screws up the economy.

hey there you are, how did your conquest over null go?

did you end up trying arbitrage?

On topic: mining sucks

iCandy  - I have accidently swallowed some Scrabble tiles, my next shit could spell disaster!

Claire Coffee
Coffee Inc
#28 - 2013-02-28 03:01:17 UTC
In the end, it's all about lack of coffee. Cool
/thread

[b]DRINK COFFEE Do stupid things Faster with More Energy[/b]

Thoraemond
Far Ranger
#29 - 2013-02-28 03:06:21 UTC
It is too easy to obtain market history and status data.
Blueprint Seller
Bring Me Sunshine
#30 - 2013-02-28 10:32:58 UTC
shar'ra matcevsovski wrote:
aww I already prepared for a another T2 BPO-hate thread :( bummer

The initial method of seeding T2 BPOs was flawed.

The implementation of the cartel breaking invention mechanic is clunky, unfinished and long overdue an iteration.

But the existence of strictly limited edition, premium priced items that give a small but worthwhile advantage in a narrow area of industry is very much a good thing in my opinion. They are one of the few things that an industrialist can aspire to once they have conquered the basics of their profession.

I would like there to be a few more things like that, preferably with a little more thought put in to their implementation and distribution.
Benjamin Arthie
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#31 - 2013-03-11 12:48:35 UTC
I dont get enough free ****.

End thread here.

I'm not a low-sec roamer, i just need to blow off some steam every now and then.

Samroski
Middle-Earth
#32 - 2013-03-11 18:57:11 UTC
PLEX

Any colour you like.

Edmund Drakenfel
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2013-03-11 19:30:40 UTC
I started playing this game because reviews online talked about a rich economic environment. In many ways this is true, but in the way that matters most to me (trade) it is not true hardly at all. Even Pirates of the Burning Seas had a less saturated and stagnant market environment.

Last week I thought that perhaps I was not looking deeply enough so I exported market files for about a dozen regions for about 30 products including ores, metals, and trade goods. There was literally little to no price fluctuation in anything! Across whole stellar nations, across security status, all prices the same with few exceptions.

Only way to make any money in this game is mining, period. Might as well play Starcraft if resource gathering is the name of the game.
Mari Hata
Main Street Crafts and Goods
#34 - 2013-03-11 20:47:35 UTC
There are no problems, only opportunities.

♫ ♪ ♪

Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#35 - 2013-03-11 20:58:21 UTC
Edmund Drakenfel wrote:
I started playing this game because reviews online talked about a rich economic environment. In many ways this is true, but in the way that matters most to me (trade) it is not true hardly at all. Even Pirates of the Burning Seas had a less saturated and stagnant market environment.

Last week I thought that perhaps I was not looking deeply enough so I exported market files for about a dozen regions for about 30 products including ores, metals, and trade goods. There was literally little to no price fluctuation in anything! Across whole stellar nations, across security status, all prices the same with few exceptions.

Only way to make any money in this game is mining, period. Might as well play Starcraft if resource gathering is the name of the game.

lmfao

trading is the most lucrative profession in the game, by far

Official Representative of The Nullsec Zealot Cabal

Kara Books
Deal with IT.
#36 - 2013-03-11 21:12:07 UTC
Edmund Drakenfel wrote:

Hi, im market manipulation, have we met? im pretty sure that's a no.
Alex Grison
Grison Universal
#37 - 2013-03-11 23:29:41 UTC
Kara Books wrote:
Edmund Drakenfel wrote:

Hi, im market manipulation, have we met? im pretty sure that's a no.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH KARA?

yes

Ark Destroyer
BLOMI
#38 - 2013-03-12 19:07:37 UTC
Just to many people can do everything or just short of it is all. if you had specializations that took years (like in RL) you could make area's harder to get to and less producers of products etc.

In this sense you could create long barriers to entry through extensive skills required for niches and such, however all in all this would take years and just **** people off and make new players have a very difficult barrier to entry for producing

Either way its a trade off.

Neutral Talent CEO Specializing in "complete" super-capital packages

Complete supercapital packages

flakeys
Doomheim
#39 - 2013-03-12 20:54:50 UTC
Edmund Drakenfel wrote:

Only way to make any money in this game is mining, period.

The .... but .... it's like ........ WHAT THE HELL HE SMOKING ?ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Mari Hata
Main Street Crafts and Goods
#40 - 2013-03-12 22:01:10 UTC
Edmund Drakenfel wrote:
There was literally little to no price fluctuation in anything! Across whole stellar nations, across security status, all prices the same with few exceptions.

Trying to buy from sell orders and re-sell to buy orders, are we? Roll

♫ ♪ ♪

Previous page123Next page