These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

CCP IT Job Security

First post
Author
Sidrat Flush
Deep Core Mining Inc.
#1 - 2013-03-10 11:14:18 UTC
http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2013-03-10/

This is how all programmers keep their jobs.

Its time to stand up against the bad empire based CEO telling falsehoods about what new characters can accomplish and pushing them towards an in game experience of drudgery and loneliness keeping them in the shadow of ignorance for at nest their own profit at worse apathy towards all the experiences that Eve has to offer.

Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#2 - 2013-03-10 11:18:46 UTC
That's why you have to force programmers to add documentation to their code by gunpoint.
Xearal
Dead's Prostitutes
Initiative Mercenaries
#3 - 2013-03-10 11:45:24 UTC
I KNEW I was doing somethign wrong when I documented my stuff on my previous job...

Does railgun ammunition come in Hollow Point?

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#4 - 2013-03-10 11:54:20 UTC
Not documenting your own code is a great way to lose your job when you're dealing with code you haven't touched in six months. So much for job security!

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#5 - 2013-03-10 11:54:31 UTC
dilbert still exists?
ISD Suvetar
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#6 - 2013-03-10 12:10:17 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
dilbert still exists?

Yeah, it's going strong!

[b]ISD Suvetar Captain/Commando Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs) Interstellar Services Department[/b]

Spurty
#7 - 2013-03-10 12:43:55 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
dilbert still exists?

Scott Adams weaved his cartoon into every major IT company and if you don't look at his comic everyday, your PC enters a death spiral. So if you want your pc to run ok, you'd better go spend twenty mins over there and dance on the table like a monkey.

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Azami Nevinyrall
#8 - 2013-03-10 14:16:27 UTC
Wouldn't surprise me...

Annihilious
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#9 - 2013-03-10 14:28:29 UTC
Abrazzar wrote:
That's why you have to force programmers to add documentation to their code by gunpoint.

That's because no one reads it. Ever...

I find the Computer Operators are so damned lazy they think it's better to pick up the phone and whine for support rather then leaf through a 1 page document...
Sidrat Flush
Deep Core Mining Inc.
#10 - 2013-03-10 14:53:10 UTC
Annihilious wrote:
Abrazzar wrote:

I find the Computer Operators are so damned lazy they think it's better to pick up the phone and whine for support rather then leaf through a 1 page document...

QFT!

It's not just Computer Operators though it's the general public when faced with a new product and reading material most get on to the phone to be told verbatim what it says in the instructions if they bothered to read it.

Still it keeps people employed but there's little job satisfaction doing it.

Dilbert is still going strong and Scott Adams has released several books, not all comic archives.

Its time to stand up against the bad empire based CEO telling falsehoods about what new characters can accomplish and pushing them towards an in game experience of drudgery and loneliness keeping them in the shadow of ignorance for at nest their own profit at worse apathy towards all the experiences that Eve has to offer.

Felicity Love
Doomheim
#11 - 2013-03-10 15:35:13 UTC
I always liked that one Dilbert comic where he puts an electrical extension cord into a mechanical (non-electric) stapler and calls it "Good".

Says it all right there. BlinkBlink

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Gotch Urarse
Perkone
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-03-10 15:51:31 UTC
Andski wrote:
Not documenting your own code is a great way to lose your job when you're dealing with code you haven't touched in six months. So much for job security!

One could argue, the majority of the time, comments clutter cleanly written code. Not all the time, of course.
Sidrat Flush
Deep Core Mining Inc.
#13 - 2013-03-10 16:03:44 UTC
When did programming languages stop using line numbers?

It's a conspiracy!! Line numbers helped a lot.

If dll's are supposed to be so good - why can't the same .dll be used multiple times?

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#14 - 2013-03-10 22:27:12 UTC
Annihilious wrote:
Abrazzar wrote:

Code documentation isn't for lowly operatars or other plebs of the general public.

It's for other esteemed members of the trade to be able to understand wth you where thinking when you wrote that piece of spaghetti.

Or, as Andski pointed out, for yourself six months down the line.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Dheeradj Nurgle
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#15 - 2013-03-10 23:17:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Dheeradj Nurgle
Annihilious wrote:
Abrazzar wrote:

Hey now, Stupid people are the reason we have jobs.

Not commenting code is a cardinal sin. Have fun looking at it in a few months.

edit; And apparantly others have said the same :/
Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#16 - 2013-03-11 07:37:29 UTC
Actually that cartoon is basically a remake of an even older one.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Sidrat Flush
Deep Core Mining Inc.
#17 - 2013-03-12 23:45:23 UTC
Katran Luftschreck wrote:
Actually that cartoon is basically a remake of an even older one.

Great find. Prooves Wally takes it all in and learns. The teacher should be proud.

ISD Suvetar
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#18 - 2013-03-13 00:12:13 UTC
Moved to the correct sub-forum.

[b]ISD Suvetar Captain/Commando Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs) Interstellar Services Department[/b]

Annihilious
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#19 - 2013-03-13 00:57:42 UTC
Lors Dornick wrote:
Annihilious wrote:
Abrazzar wrote:

Code documentation isn't for lowly operatars or other plebs of the general public.

It's for other esteemed members of the trade to be able to understand wth you where thinking when you wrote that piece of spaghetti.

Or, as Andski pointed out, for yourself six months down the line.

Not true in my case. I write a great deal of documentation specifically for our Operators. But I'm not writing code it's mostly support for Production Procedures and How To stuff.
Noriko Satomi
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2013-03-13 19:41:15 UTC
Sidrat Flush wrote:
When did programming languages stop using line numbers?

It's a conspiracy!! Line numbers helped a lot.

If dll's are supposed to be so good - why can't the same .dll be used multiple times?

You mean you don't code in ASTs? Pffft. Somebody needs to meta their model.
12Next page