These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

So...the new Sim City is a Disaster (Update Post 87)

Author
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#41 - 2013-03-08 03:00:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Krixtal Icefluxor
Graygor wrote:

Honestly I agree with you Krix, why the hell does a single player game require internet connection?

This, Most Indeed, had my eyes bugging out 3 years ago when announced. The feedback was terrible.....

...and they did it anyway.

May they live with it in infamy.

EDIT: I will never, EVER purchase it now just on principle. I'm old enough to do that now and so are you.

This Industry needs to learn a hard lesson.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#42 - 2013-03-08 03:00:18 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:

I'm seeing some potential for this year... I'm sure "Outlast" will be awesome.

It LOOKS great...

...but even I am getting tired of green-tinted hand-held horror-based camera work (that's a LOT of hyphens !),

Then go try to play sim city P

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#43 - 2013-03-08 03:04:09 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

It LOOKS great...

...but even I am getting tired of green-tinted hand-held horror-based camera work (that's a LOT of hyphens !),

Well, you apparently have to reach in and grab and eat the still beating heart of a Dev to log on..........

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Graygor
1kB Realty
#44 - 2013-03-08 03:06:12 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

It LOOKS great...

Well, you apparently have to reach in and grab and eat the still beating heart of a Dev to log on..........

Hmm.... i wonder if this would improve productivity at CCP?

Release meaningful WIS and POS upgrade or we eat your hearts!

But we're nice so we'll let you choose, tobasco or BBQ sauce?

"I think you should buy a new Mayan calendar. Mine has muscle cars on it." - Kenneth O'Hara

"I dont think that can happen, you can see Gray has his invuln field on in his portrait." - Commissar "Cake" Kate

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#45 - 2013-03-08 03:08:36 UTC
Graygor wrote:

But we're nice so we'll let you choose, tobasco or BBQ sauce?

...only if it is Lime/Chipotle.

peacebee
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2013-03-08 03:27:11 UTC
Kingdom Under Fire II is the only game i will even think of taking a chance on, because i loved the first.
But the fact i loved the first means i should fear this more then some random IP....
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#47 - 2013-03-08 03:30:47 UTC
Argh!..to it all.

Time to absolutely MELT everyone with a fierce weapon: https://twitter.com/Kennygoing2Mars/status/275151671619903488/photo/1

Mark Munoz
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2013-03-08 03:42:36 UTC
Yeah this DRM stuff is out of control. The unfortunate part is everyone says vote with your wallets, and while I will typically agree and say the same that just can't be done in the gaming industry. Most anything worth spending hard earned dollars on is published by a a mammoth corporation like EA. They only publish games using this business model this will not change no matter how FUBAR'd a launch goes. Why is that you ask? Because they know damn well that no matter how big of a **** storm happens the first few days the gamers will just buy it anyway because there is no other option for the entertainment. Now don't get me wrong there are plenty of games that are awesome fun that don't have these issues. I like to think of it like the rides at Six Flags. While sure you can have tons of fun and wait in almost no lines for the older smaller roller coasters, for the most entertaining experience however you will need to wait HOURS. People do as well because it is that level of extreme that they have never experienced before.

DRM practices like this are not going away no matter how much we *****, these blockbuster titles will still sell by the millions just for the cutting edge experiences they provide.

Once a developer/publisher start picking up notoriety and breaking the norm these publishers will do what they do best, squash the competition by buying them out.

The one thing I will say about this experience with SimCity however is this game brings people from ALL walks of life. It may just get the critical mass it deserves for the world at large to take notice of these shady business practices. Then again to what end. It is not like a court is going to rule you need to make a game single player, etc. The best we can hope for are penalties and consumer protections to take place as result.

I will say though I haven't really played many "Online" games other than EVE and I have been lately, the more and more that I play the more that I appreciate CCP's approach with EVE. IMO it is the only one that makes sense.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#49 - 2013-03-08 03:49:50 UTC
Mark Munoz wrote:
Yeah this DRM stuff is out of control. The unfortunate part is everyone says vote with your wallets, and while I will typically agree and say the same that just can't be done in the gaming industry. Most anything worth spending hard earned dollars on is published by a a mammoth corporation like EA. They only publish games using this business model this will not change no matter how FUBAR'd a launch goes. Why is that you ask? Because they know damn well that no matter how big of a **** storm happens the first few days the gamers will just buy it anyway because there is no other option for the entertainment. Now don't get me wrong there are plenty of games that are awesome fun that don't have these issues. I like to think of it like the rides at Six Flags. While sure you can have tons of fun and wait in almost no lines for the older smaller roller coasters, for the most entertaining experience however you will need to wait HOURS. People do as well because it is that level of extreme that they have never experienced before.

DRM practices like this are not going away no matter how much we *****, these blockbuster titles will still sell by the millions just for the cutting edge experiences they provide.

Once a developer/publisher start picking up notoriety and breaking the norm these publishers will do what they do best, squash the competition by buying them out.

The one thing I will say about this experience with SimCity however is this game brings people from ALL walks of life. It may just get the critical mass it deserves for the world at large to take notice of these shady business practices. Then again to what end. It is not like a court is going to rule you need to make a game single player, etc. The best we can hope for are penalties and consumer protections to take place as result.

I will say though I haven't really played many "Online" games other than EVE and I have been lately, the more and more that I play the more that I appreciate CCP's approach with EVE. IMO it is the only one that makes sense.

Yes.

Even my parents who are now over 85 appreciated Sim City when they were ~65.

This has been a really disappointing experience for them, and a demonstration of what can happen with any online endeavor, NOT JUST GAMES.

Again, EA is now losing all future cash from myself, I promise.

I hope other s join in this pact.

Comparatively, CCP Rocks !

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#50 - 2013-03-08 03:59:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Krixtal Icefluxor
Graygor wrote:

Release meaningful WIS and POS upgrade or we eat your hearts?

There is no telling at all about the Vikings ! Lol

edit: And I thought we had them by the HORNS ?!?!

Graygor
1kB Realty
#51 - 2013-03-08 04:11:34 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Graygor wrote:

Release meaningful WIS and POS upgrade or we eat your hearts?

There is no telling at all about the Vikings ! Lol

edit: And I thought we had them by the HORNS ?!?!

Theyre vikings. Their horns have horns!

We just cant have them by enough horns. Its like a horn hydra! Shocked

"I think you should buy a new Mayan calendar. Mine has muscle cars on it." - Kenneth O'Hara

"I dont think that can happen, you can see Gray has his invuln field on in his portrait." - Commissar "Cake" Kate

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#52 - 2013-03-08 04:12:58 UTC
Graygor wrote:

Shocked

...just like Michael Bay's Lens Flares have Lens Flares ?

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#53 - 2013-03-08 05:29:37 UTC
I give it a month max before an "unofficial" version with all the DRM stripped out appears on various websites that are supposedly blocked by ISPs, no matter what the big companies do there's always somebody clever enough to circumvent any DRM, and who's willing to share.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Graygor
1kB Realty
#54 - 2013-03-08 06:06:19 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Graygor wrote:

Shocked

I thought it was Abrams who was guilty of that?

And Jonah its evolution!

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#55 - 2013-03-08 07:16:27 UTC
Graygor wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Graygor wrote:

Shocked

I thought it was Abrams who was guilty of that?

And Jonah its evolution!

Lens flair is Abrams. Michael Bay does Baysplosions.

As for sim city, its now dead. Long live Cities XL
Graygor
1kB Realty
#56 - 2013-03-08 07:19:24 UTC
Is cities XL any good? I was tempted to buy it on steam but wondered about it.

Alice Saki
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#57 - 2013-03-08 08:29:34 UTC
I'm really annoyed that lots of game nowadays HAVE to be online to play... Even for Single player mode. WHY?!

FREEZE! Drop the LIKES AND WALK AWAY! - Currenly rebuilding gaming machine, I will Return.

Graygor
1kB Realty
#58 - 2013-03-08 08:39:56 UTC
Because bean counters and their investors dont play video games. If golf had DRM there would be uproar.

Sidus Isaacs
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#59 - 2013-03-08 11:32:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Sidus Isaacs
lol EA... what did people expect?

Graygor wrote:

Imo, no, it was a poor imitation of sim city last time I tired it a couple of years ago.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#60 - 2013-03-08 11:32:50 UTC
Graygor wrote:

Its a great game and fans of sim city 4 will love it. The only drawback is a lack of disastors.