These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Consensual wars only

First post
Author
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#181 - 2013-03-07 05:15:48 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Zaraz Zaraz wrote:
I imagine most PVP happens to pad KB with easy targets and if KB were removed most people who profess themselves to be PVPers would unsub and go play CoD or something instead.

Why should kill reports be removed? You do realize they serve purposes other than ego boosting, right?

Just the tears of people unable to use their ego boosters would be pretty compelling argument ...

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#182 - 2013-03-07 05:18:08 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Zaraz Zaraz wrote:
I imagine most PVP happens to pad KB with easy targets and if KB were removed most people who profess themselves to be PVPers would unsub and go play CoD or something instead.

Why should kill reports be removed? You do realize they serve purposes other than ego boosting, right?

Just the tears of people unable to use their ego boosters would be pretty compelling argument ...

Well I'd be pretty disappointed. I like going back and analyzing battles and encounters. It's also a useful source of intel on enemy fits, or a way for corps and alliances to determine if their own pilots are using the proper fit.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#183 - 2013-03-07 05:35:58 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Alavaria Fera wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Zaraz Zaraz wrote:

Well I'd be pretty disappointed. I like going back and analyzing battles and encounters. It's also a useful source of intel on enemy fits, or a way for corps and alliances to determine if their own pilots are using the proper fit.

Oh yeah, the poor reimbursement people would have trouble catching the morons who armor tank their Drakes or have terribly fit maelstroms.

Hm, that's pretty important. So keep the lossmails. Though you might need spies to see aenemy lossmails on their killboard instead of having CCP hand you free intel. Then again, outside of wormholes we do have local, so free intel is always nice.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Robus Muvila
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#184 - 2013-03-08 03:13:15 UTC
I think to fully understand this sort of thing we need to ask what a wardec is in the first place?

A wardec is a means not an end. If a wardec doesn't have a motive it SHOULD suck

Let us pretend that we play in a game where everyone is not an idiot.

Indy corp has found an Icebelt. Indy corp wants to drive up Ice Prices in the region and reap the profit so they can mine the belt exclusively. They wardec their competing corps in that area.
Now lets look for a second at the reaction of TWA Lahara or whatever it is. He docks and disappears off the face of the map. The Indy corp can now mine exclusively to their hearts content. Their imposed Ice monopoly on the area could cause the other corps to communicate and band together to hire someone to get rid of these assholes and get their ice belts back. They could look for some newer greener pastures. Hell, they could look at setting up some sort of awesome stealth importing business to undercut this new aggressive mining corp that don't want to share.
But no, instead Tawara or whatever sits in his dock and declares himself the winner. And the worlds keep turning.

TMC Senior Developer http://themittani.com - Because EvE has needed a proper news site for ages

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#185 - 2013-03-08 03:25:46 UTC
Robus Muvila wrote:
But no, instead Tawara or whatever sits in his dock and declares himself the winner.

Why didn't they drop to an NPC corp.... these are the things given to all highsec people to preotect themselves from the evil "highsec pvp"

Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#186 - 2013-03-08 04:53:10 UTC
Robus Muvila wrote:
I think to fully understand this sort of thing we need to ask what a wardec is in the first place?

A wardec is a means not an end. If a wardec doesn't have a motive it SHOULD suck

Let us pretend that we play in a game where everyone is not an idiot.

Indy corp has found an Icebelt. Indy corp wants to drive up Ice Prices in the region and reap the profit so they can mine the belt exclusively. They wardec their competing corps in that area.
Now lets look for a second at the reaction of TWA Lahara or whatever it is. He docks and disappears off the face of the map. The Indy corp can now mine exclusively to their hearts content. Their imposed Ice monopoly on the area could cause the other corps to communicate and band together to hire someone to get rid of these assholes and get their ice belts back. They could look for some newer greener pastures. Hell, they could look at setting up some sort of awesome stealth importing business to undercut this new aggressive mining corp that don't want to share.
But no, instead Tawara or whatever sits in his dock and declares himself the winner. And the worlds keep turning.

This is a great scenario for a working wardec, no doubt the kind of idea the system was intended for.

But does it work that way?

In order for a wardec to mean anything it means you are dealing with a resource in highsec. At last check no ice belt was exclusive to only a pair of corps. A single wardec wouldn't suffice. Several would be needed. Lets go further and say NPC corp wardec invulnerability and corp hopping is fixed and those corps are dec'd as well. You still have the issue of all other belts of the same type in highsec and types which yield the same isotopes elsewhere to contend with on the markets. Securing the highsec resources means that many more wardecs.

Is it really even remotely feasible to control that much of a single resource to compensate for the cost of the wars?

Even if that was somehow successful, what happens when other entities, noticing the increase in ice prices and decide to take advantage of your work? Do you add even more decs to further increase your costs that you must now make up for?

Also an industrial entity interested in this is likely not going to have the strength in numbers or PvP capability to police these wardecs on their own so mercenary costs would likely become involved. It's just not a feasible way to do things for profit. Even securing territory in highsec, such as securing a belt for your corp or all the belts in a system, falls painfully short of placing the greater gain in favor of the aggressor because of the population harvesting and lack of scarcity. But at least in that scenario there can be a convenience factor with not having the rocks in your home system mined out from under you.

Ice on the other hand lacks even that.

We've only seen this plan work once, and it wasn't done through wardecs.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#187 - 2013-03-08 05:21:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Alavaria Fera
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
In order for a wardec to mean anything it means you are dealing with a resource in highsec. At last check no ice belt was exclusive to only a pair of corps. A single wardec wouldn't suffice. Several would be needed. Lets go further and say NPC corp wardec invulnerability and corp hopping is fixed and those corps are dec'd as well.

"Yo dawg"

I heard you like ridiculous assumptions, so I added some assumptions to your assumptions so you can assume CCP will make highsec more dangerous while assuming they won't make highsec even safer.

P.S. Your post is quite correct, wardecs are not the way to engage in anti-player actives. "Working as intended"

Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#188 - 2013-03-08 05:57:13 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
In order for a wardec to mean anything it means you are dealing with a resource in highsec. At last check no ice belt was exclusive to only a pair of corps. A single wardec wouldn't suffice. Several would be needed. Lets go further and say NPC corp wardec invulnerability and corp hopping is fixed and those corps are dec'd as well.

"Yo dawg"

I heard you like ridiculous assumptions, so I added some assumptions to your assumptions so you can assume CCP will make highsec more dangerous while assuming they won't make highsec even safer.

P.S. Your post is quite correct, wardecs are not the way to engage in anti-player actives. "Working as intended"

I made no assumptions really, but I'll admit I haven't been in ice belts for a while. So for all I know there could only be 2 corps represented there now.

But if that isn't the case what I said stands. As for the rest, without it policing a resource through wardec is impossible so bringing up this scenario makes no sense.

In the end it's just another reason why when it worked wardecs weren't the tool of choice. They do have their purposes, but several of those purposes (especially in the cases of large scale resource denial and economic warfare) don't work in the game as it currently stands.
Robus Muvila
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#189 - 2013-03-08 09:52:15 UTC
Hence in a perfect world.

TMC Senior Developer http://themittani.com - Because EvE has needed a proper news site for ages

Takseen
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#190 - 2013-03-08 13:54:53 UTC
EI Digin wrote:

6) Lastly, set any highsec mercs or alliances that enjoy fighting wars to orange. Marmite Collective, Whores in space, RvB, Eve Uni, etc.

If you've gotten this far and haven't filtered that player out, chances are that this player is wardeccable, and does most of their activities in highsec. Whether this individual is willing to sit in this corp after it is wardecced is a different story however. You end up filtering out the majority, if not all of the players in any given system.

So in short there's two groups of people.
-those who don't mind or even enjoy being wardecced
-those who don't like being wardecced and have therefore taken steps to make it unrewarding or impossible for the attacker to dec them

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#191 - 2013-03-08 13:58:49 UTC
I support consensual only wars. not in EVe, but in real life. That way all those Japanese aircraft would have hit an invisible barrier just outside of Pearl Harbor, and that would have been hilarious.

EVE needs more war, death and killing, not less.
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#192 - 2013-03-08 14:10:58 UTC  |  Edited by: March rabbit
Jenn aSide wrote:
I support consensual only wars. not in EVe, but in real life. That way all those Japanese aircraft would have hit an invisible barrier just outside of Pearl Harbor, and that would have been hilarious.

should it be this way there will be no Pearl Harbor at all.
Because there will be no USA.
because european bandits never invaded and tainted american continent Lol

Jenn aSide wrote:
EVE needs more war, death and killing, not less.

agree. It's bad tho that some people to risk averse to accept wardecs and use decshields/etc and other players are so risk averse so they only wardec peaceful miners/industrials/bears/etc....

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Brewlar Kuvakei
Adeptio Gloriae
#193 - 2013-03-08 14:56:57 UTC
EVE gets more World of War crack style everyday. Move level 3 and 4 missions to low, allow war dec's to follow players who bail fromp corp and prevent seasoned players from entering NPC corps.

EVE is a multiplayer game, people who disagree should pull out their net cable and play freelancer.
LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#194 - 2013-03-08 14:59:56 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Zaraz Zaraz wrote:

If only they had a module that allowed you to scan a ship to see how it is fit.... Then we could remove the kill reports.
LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#195 - 2013-03-08 15:02:38 UTC
Brewlar Kuvakei wrote:
EVE gets more World of War crack style everyday. Move level 3 and 4 missions to low, allow war dec's to follow players who bail fromp corp and prevent seasoned players from entering NPC corps.

EVE is a multiplayer game, people who disagree should pull out their net cable and play freelancer.

Why do you want all the carebears to quit and bankrupt CCP?

Angelic Resolution
The Arcanum
#196 - 2013-03-08 17:03:11 UTC
Brewlar Kuvakei wrote:

You may want to open up the Map, go to the Star Map tab, then Stars and under Statistics - you know, those things that CCP base their player count projections on - and click the "Average Pilots in space in the last 30 minutes".

I'll post a picture within 24 hours if you won't post one yourself.
Takseen
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#197 - 2013-03-08 17:49:51 UTC
LHA Tarawa wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Zaraz Zaraz wrote:

If only they had a module that allowed you to scan a ship to see how it is fit.... Then we could remove the kill reports.

But then how would I know that I'm winning or losing at Eve? May as well take away the Wallet balance of an industrialist.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#198 - 2013-03-08 18:31:33 UTC
Brewlar Kuvakei wrote:

You do realize evasion of aggressors, which only exists because of another player's attempt to destroy your ship, is a form of multiplayer interaction, right?
EI Digin
irc.zulusquad.org
#199 - 2013-03-08 18:48:55 UTC
Takseen wrote:

So in short there's two groups of people.
-those who don't mind or even enjoy being wardecced
-those who don't like being wardecced and have therefore taken steps to make it unrewarding or impossible for the attacker to dec them
Nothing wrong with making it more difficult, it's the making it impossible that breaks the game, because then very few people are going to bother taking steps to make it unrewarding.

Angelic Resolution wrote:

You may want to open up the Map, go to the Star Map tab, then Stars and under Statistics - you know, those things that CCP base their player count projections on - and click the "Average Pilots in space in the last 30 minutes".
How many of those players would dislike these changes?
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#200 - 2013-03-08 19:48:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
Brewlar Kuvakei wrote:

Having decs follow pilots, or preventing those pilots from being in NPC corps will not result in those pilots participating in war. They will just log into an alt who is not at war, or if there are none, start a buddy account so they can create some that are not at war. Or just play a different game for the duration.

Again, you cannot force a player to log in.

People who do not like war not saying they do not like multiplayer games, they just do not want to participate in this one particular type of multiplayer interaction. Eve is such a wide open game that it has far far more ways of interaction.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction