These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Self Challenge- One Ship One Year

Author
Savnire Jacitu
Undead Retirement Crypt
#1 - 2013-02-27 00:11:06 UTC
So I've been bored with my life in high sec/low sec and I want to give myself a challenge. After watching Firefly for the millionth time I found myself thinking, it would be fun to just stick to one ship and treat it like it was my only ship that I had.

As the title states, I want to use a ship for as long as possible, in this case I'm shooting for a year long adventure into low sec/ null/ worm space. But before I do this I want to choose the right ship for the challange. It will need to be something that can handle a fight/stay hidden for long stretches of time and dodge the enevitable blobs. Also add on the fact that I want it to be fun to fly.

Any ideas on what would be a good choice? I was leaning towards ther proteus but wasn't sure if it was the best opition I had. Money is not really a concern, but lets keep it under 2 bill ish.

Once I decide on the ship, I'm going to make sure I have near perfect/perfect skills for flying it and then I'll be off. I might start up a blog to regain my stories if it looks like I'll last longer than a month haha. To make things interesting I'll probaly make sure to engage in a pvp battle atleast once a week, just so I'm not always running. Don't want this to be too easy.

Diesel47
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2 - 2013-02-27 00:22:58 UTC
Your ship won't last for a month, I promise.
Savnire Jacitu
Undead Retirement Crypt
#3 - 2013-02-27 00:26:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Savnire Jacitu
Doesn't matter. I have no delusions that I will last longer than a week. It's just something fun to do rather than sit there and spin my ships.

Diesel47
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-02-27 00:28:54 UTC
Why not just undock any ship instead of trying to limit yourself to one ?
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#5 - 2013-02-27 00:29:38 UTC
I'd probably try to use an Ishtar for that. Make sure you have a cloak and a probe launcher in two of the highs, and maybe an armor RR for the drones. A NOmen could be pretty fun too.

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

Kusum Fawn
Perkone
Caldari State
#6 - 2013-02-27 00:32:45 UTC
I have several ships that have lasted more then three Years, but mostly because i dont take them out very often. I have a Rokh, the first battleship i ever got, (i built it with my own mining) that saw the first incursion in Yulai, ran from PL in Vale and Flew to help Chribba in Provi. but thats a very special case.

If you plan on doing any pvp, in Wh/null you are gonna die. sooner or later it will catcch up with you.
Plan for one ship type, not one ship. I would say cloaky proteus is good for a variety of things and probably fits your bill but i doubt that it will survive a month of activity like you are describing.

Its not possible to please all the people all the time, but it sure as hell is possible to Displease all the people, most of the time.

sabre906
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2013-02-27 00:33:58 UTC
Get a covops and never decloak. Extreme risk aversion is easy.Big smile

If you want to actually do stuff, a cloaky gank proteus is the best bet. If you select your targets right, it'll never die. That's a big if...
Diesel47
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#8 - 2013-02-27 00:35:44 UTC
Usually, if you train to fly one ship.. you can also fly many other ships just as well.

No need to limit to one ship, unless you want to be bored.
Savnire Jacitu
Undead Retirement Crypt
#9 - 2013-02-27 01:03:22 UTC
Alright so got some backing to the proteus and I'm looking the ishtar too.

And to clear this up, I do have an Abaddon that has survived since the day I first pimped it out all those hundreds of days ago( I think it is just over a year old). But that thing is only meant for certain things. I guess I want to stress test a ship, take it to the utter limit and beyond, way past enemy lines. Everytime i have gone out looking for a fight in any situation before, I have done so with the mindset that this ship isn't coming back with me. This time I want to be out in the think of it and after everything is said and done I want to make it back home in more than just my pod.

Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2013-02-27 01:19:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Fredfredbug4
Just to suggest something different that might be cool, have you considered a Black Ops ship? I'm no expert, I'm not even sure if it would be possible with your requirements (don't you need someone else to cyno for you?). If you can jump from system to system on your own you it could be easy.

Gates are easily where most people get caught in Low and Null, a Black Ops ship could bypass them entirely, to an extent.

I don't know much at all about Black Ops ships though, I could be suggesting the dumbest idea ever.

For an extra challenge that can be done with any of these ships, see how long you last without having to dock. You undock and never dock again until you die, so you have to fit for sustainability.

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Inkarr Hashur
Skyline Federation
#11 - 2013-02-27 01:48:58 UTC
Interdiction nullifier in null means you need a T3, IMO. Choose one.
sabre906
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2013-02-27 02:04:01 UTC
Fredfredbug4 wrote:
Just to suggest something different that might be cool, have you considered a Black Ops ship? I'm no expert, I'm not even sure if it would be possible with your requirements (don't you need someone else to cyno for you?). If you can jump from system to system on your own you it could be easy.

Gates are easily where most people get caught in Low and Null, a Black Ops ship could bypass them entirely, to an extent.

I don't know much at all about Black Ops ships though, I could be suggesting the dumbest idea ever.

For an extra challenge that can be done with any of these ships, see how long you last without having to dock. You undock and never dock again until you die, so you have to fit for sustainability.

Solo black ops = big fat expensive km waiting to happen. It'll die in fire.

Savnire Jacitu wrote:
Alright so got some backing to the proteus and I'm looking the ishtar too.

And to clear this up, I do have an Abaddon that has survived since the day I first pimped it out all those hundreds of days ago( I think it is just over a year old). But that thing is only meant for certain things. I guess I want to stress test a ship, take it to the utter limit and beyond, way past enemy lines. Everytime i have gone out looking for a fight in any situation before, I have done so with the mindset that this ship isn't coming back with me. This time I want to be out in the think of it and after everything is said and done I want to make it back home in more than just my pod.

Ishtar is completely different from cloaky gank proteus. It's not flown the same, and it'll die long before a year's up.

It's a bubble proof cloaky proteus with 500+ dps. You go anywhere you choose, choose your target carefully (solo victim only), decloak on top of him, lock him down, finish him off, and be gone before friends arrive. If you do everything by the book, you will never die.
Froggy Storm
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#13 - 2013-02-27 03:17:40 UTC
Maybe try the new prophecy. Keep it tanked and a flight of ecm for gtfo factor. If your goal is to stay alive without the obvious boredom of afk cloaking that is. You can likely do anoms decently quick with good drone skills. Add stabs for moving between systems if your worried about camps.
Drake Doe
88Th Tax Haven
#14 - 2013-02-27 03:51:35 UTC
Choose any t3, you'll thank me and yourself later.

"The homogenization of EVE began when Gallente and Caldari started sharing a weapon system."---Vermaak Doe-- "Ohh squabbles ohh I love my dust trolls like watching an episode of Maury with less " Is he my Dad " but more of " My Neighbor took a dump on my lawn " good episode! pops more corn" ---Evernub--

Jack Miton
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#15 - 2013-02-27 04:26:37 UTC
Proteus.
Had my original one for 3 years before I finally lost it. (It was also by far my most used ship during that time.)

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

Kasutra
No Vacancies
No Vacancies.
#16 - 2013-02-27 08:41:30 UTC
The Pilgrim comes to mind.

Caveat: Never flown one. Big smile
Tul Breetai
Impromptu Asset Requisition
#17 - 2013-02-27 09:13:19 UTC
Pilgrim or Legion.

There's nothing worse than an EVE player, generally considered to be top of the food chain in the MMO world, that cannot smacktalk with wit and coherency.

Roseline Penshar
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2013-02-27 11:47:04 UTC
Legion, cause lasers not broken that easily and you can undock for a very long time

loki or proteus if you don't mind to dock to refill your ammo
Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#19 - 2013-02-27 12:06:57 UTC
If you literally mean stay in space the whole time, probably an Amarr something, since lasers are the only thing that doesn't use ammo. Or perhaps a drone-boat.

If you just plan on only running one hull in NPC null I'd say stealth bomber, in w-space you pretty much have to go T3 or, at minimum, heavily tanked BC.

All that said, for any given ship there's a part of space that won't give you a lot of trouble, especially if you're mostly focused on PvE like farming belt rats or doing missions. My mission BS is a couple years old now, iirc, I don't even insure it anymore.

(Albeit I SHOULD insure it, I'm just dumb.)
Aylin Aslim
Memintolar Tombikto
#20 - 2013-02-27 12:22:30 UTC
t3's would suit that.

-its expensive
-somewhat customized
-you can fit cloak,probes
-you can change the fit, so you can fly with fleets and such.

either of them will do.

12Next page