These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Why are Forum Avatars different from in Game Avatars?

Author
Rotten Tuna
VSP Corp.
#21 - 2013-02-26 13:54:04 UTC
I've been having issues with the hair rendering as well. Here's an example of an alt I've been working on recently-

Hair Test #1

Hair Test #2

I hope something can be done to fix this, as I really liked those hair styles/poses :(
Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#22 - 2013-02-26 14:01:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Zimmy Zeta
Jake Warbird wrote:
You think you have a hair problem...? :P

"On the first day the came for our haircuts- and I said nothing, because I was bald."

Oh really?

That's it?

GD, I am disappoint. CCP is clearly censoring our avatars.

Where is the outrage, where is your righteous fury?

Shouldn't we go cancel all of our accounts, biomass all of the characters and then bomb a monument in Jita?

Tyranny has reared it's hideous face, ready to devour all that is good and just and you are going to ignore it?
Is this what our forefathers have fought for? Or would they rather hold the truth self-evident that all avatars are created equal and that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights and that amongst these are haircuts?

Sure, you could just ignore this issue and go on. At least a while.
And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell CCP that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our haircuts!

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Kristopher Rocancourt
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#23 - 2013-02-26 17:44:42 UTC
Babar Baboli wrote:
I'm sexy as hell both ingame and on the forums

you look like you should be taking bribes at a police checkpoint or whipping someone with an electrical cord,.

http://killalliance.co.uk/tears/tears-holeysheet/

Orlacc
#24 - 2013-02-26 18:48:32 UTC
Zimmy Zeta wrote:
OK, clearing the cache worked, now the in game avatar looks like the forum avatar.

Crap, I liked the ingame version much more Cry

See? That's what happens when you get what you wish for!

"Measure Twice, Cut Once."

Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#25 - 2013-02-26 18:50:26 UTC
Seven Noctis wrote:

EDIT: You could try to experiment with turning "physically simulated cloth and hair" on/off for the capture.

You are right.
If you turn off "physically simulated cloth and hair" before you enter the character editor, you will see your portrait exactly like it will look on the forums.
I am not quite sure why CCP have even chosen to add this option, like "Hey guys, that's a cool new feature, your avatar will look better during editing, but those changes will not show in your portrait".
But yeah, the problem is that the post-processing deactivates the physically simulated stuff retroactively.
Mystery solved.

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Major 'Revolver' Ocelot
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#26 - 2013-02-26 20:23:45 UTC
Zimmy Zeta wrote:
Shouldn't we go cancel all of our accounts, biomass all of the characters and then bomb a monument in Jita?

It may be a good idea to bomb the monument before deleting our characters... but what do I know?
Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#27 - 2013-02-26 20:27:13 UTC
Major 'Revolver' Ocelot wrote:
Zimmy Zeta wrote:

It may be a good idea to bomb the monument before deleting our characters... but what do I know?

You clearly have the wrong attitude, mate.
Delete characters first, shoot the monument later.
That'll show 'em how bloody serious we are.

Indahmawar Fazmarai
#28 - 2013-02-26 21:00:02 UTC
Zimmy Zeta wrote:
Seven Noctis wrote:

EDIT: You could try to experiment with turning "physically simulated cloth and hair" on/off for the capture.

You are right.
If you turn off "physically simulated cloth and hair" before you enter the character editor, you will see your portrait exactly like it will look on the forums.
I am not quite sure why CCP have even chosen to add this option, like "Hey guys, that's a cool new feature, your avatar will look better during editing, but those changes will not show in your portrait".
But yeah, the problem is that the post-processing deactivates the physically simulated stuff retroactively.
Mystery solved.

The physical simulation is used for your ingame avatar -I mean the CQ one- but the image server uses a different set of postprocessing tools. The image server does not render your ingame image, it renders a standard mesh modified by the data you input from the CC, then delivers the finished image to the clients.

And actually there are 6 renders of you: the sculpting render, the portrait maker render, the client portrait render, the client live render, the image server render and the full body view render.
Halete
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#29 - 2013-02-26 22:34:45 UTC
Whilst we're on the discussion of weird avatar ****, I have another character I was playing around with. It's a bad portrait, yes, but I immediately proceeded to capture after getting this effect. Eyelashes; https://image.eveonline.com/Character/92683700_512.jpg

"To know the true path, but yet, to never follow it. That is possibly the gravest sin" - The Scriptures, Book of Missions 13:21

Sheimi Madaveda
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#30 - 2013-03-02 00:08:29 UTC
Ive had that issue with this hairstyle, i was worrying because my hair was completely covering my right eye when i took the photo, but when it rendered, it came out like this, so i dunno, maybe the hair on certain hairstyles are longer in the prerendering.

Arma Purgatorium - Once for the State, Now for the King Low Sec, PvP, Industrial - Open for Recruiting http://armapurgatorium.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/arpur_recruit1.pngĀ 

Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#31 - 2013-03-02 08:43:52 UTC
@Sheimi Madaveda

The issue is only in the physically simulated hair. If you turn this option off, your hair will stick to your head like a helmet no matter how you tilt your head.
If you turn "physically simulated hair" on, it will follow gravity instead and might cover your eyes if you tilt your head forward. But this version shows only ingame, all forum avatars have "helmet-hair".

BadAssMcKill
Aliastra
#32 - 2013-03-02 08:50:28 UTC
Kristopher Rocancourt wrote:
Babar Baboli wrote:
I'm sexy as hell both ingame and on the forums

you look like you should be taking bribes at a police checkpoint or whipping someone with an electrical cord,.

Not that that's a bad thing
Angelique Duchemin
Team Evil
#33 - 2013-03-02 09:18:53 UTC
You're over thinking it. Zimmy looks fantastic.

The very sun of heaven seemed distorted when viewed through the polarising miasma welling out from this sea-soaked perversion, and twisted menace and suspense lurked leeringly in those crazily elusive angles of carven rock where a second glance shewed concavity after the first shewed convexity.

Seven Noctis
#34 - 2013-03-02 09:57:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Seven Noctis
On the contrary, (though Zimmy does look good) I salute the OP's determination and the fact that it lead us to better understanding of how this stuff works.

As a side note, behaviour can only be said to be compulsive if it repetitive but doesn't get results, and we got results.
Dalmont Delantee
Gecko Corp
#35 - 2013-03-02 10:02:03 UTC
Zimmy Zeta wrote:
Jake Warbird wrote:
You think you have a hair problem...? :P

"On the first day the came for our haircuts- and I said nothing, because I was bald."

Oh really?

That's it?

GD, I am disappoint. CCP is clearly censoring our avatars.

Where is the outrage, where is your righteous fury?

Tyranny has reared it's hideous face, ready to devour all that is good and just and you are going to ignore it?
Is this what our forefathers have fought for? Or would they rather hold the truth self-evident that all avatars are created equal and that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights and that amongst these are haircuts?

Sure, you could just ignore this issue and go on. At least a while.
And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell CCP that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our haircuts!

I don't really care what I look like, I fly a spaceship thats what I care about :P
Previous page12