These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Please add a counter to bumping.

Author
sabre906
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2013-02-26 02:54:28 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
bumping is a brilliant mechanic for disrupting enemy warps or transversal movement. it takes a fair amount of pilot skill to do it to a moving target, and should be rewarded.

bumps against stationary targets are easily avoided (just move) and are not a real issue.

Err... No. Bumping is easy as cake in a small cruiser with oversized mwd. You turn it on after aiming. And moving a freighter out of the way is... impossible. Different size boats' handling are different.

I don't support counter for bumping, btw. But with these forums full of vets, don't expect to lie in their face and have it unanswered.Roll
Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#22 - 2013-02-26 03:32:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Zan Shiro
Quintessen wrote:
This would be easily fixable with requiring an approach command first.

you have the problem of this game does not have precise control of ships....ie no joystick/throttle flight sim junky setups. You navigate by right clicking on points heavily. That point could be a ship. A ship an empire bear might approach too fast.

Even in 0.0 where you have the "pro's" you always get those tards who warp to 0, or close to 0 too damn fast. Simple thing to not do, yet many fail at it. If there is no hope for 0.0 to solve this, training empire bears a tad more difficult. Trust me...I learned to not warp to 0 by hearing the tirades of pissed off titan pilots or fc's tear the bumping tards new asses. How others do not learn from this, I have no clue.

Empire bears won't have this motivation to remember the above lesson I learned.

Tl;dr....lacking fine ship controls you won't be seeing this happen.
Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2013-02-26 03:50:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Fredfredbug4
All I see is whining, is this really that big of a problem? Is it worth CCP investing time and money to introduce a mechanic just so you don't have to move out of the way or pay attention?

Seriously, criminal flag just for bumping into someone? This is ridiculous. With this implemented I can be shot dead just from undocking from a busy station.

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Cyprus Black
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#24 - 2013-02-26 04:50:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Cyprus Black
Micro warp drives, afterburners, logoffski/relogging, and orbiting.

The very tools used to counter such a stupid tactic are already in the game and have been for some time.

You're welcome.
/thread

Summary of EvEs last four expansions: http://imgur.com/ZL5SM33

Mag's
Azn Empire
#25 - 2013-02-26 14:02:17 UTC
Quintessen wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Quintessen wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Bumping is a perfectly legitimate mechanic to use. There are counters, but they require team mates and imagination.

I should have been specific to 1v1 counters then.
I'm not sure it's wise to alter a mechanic, just to suit solo play. This is after all, an MMO.

MMOs have to support solo play because without it, there is no group play.

If I'm the first person to log on and no one is around, then if the only thing I can do it group play I'm not going to stick around long enough for someone else to log on. Solo play is the intermediate activity until enough people are on for group play.

While I don't make any claim to speak for the people, I for one prefer group play. EVE is a pretty crappy solo game. It's boring. But I tolerate the solo play while hoping someone will pop online so that I can do group play. I even go out and advertise the activity I'm doing in order for strangers to play as well, but I rarely have takers. EVE is sometimes too spread out.

EVE needs to improve both the single player experience, but also the group experience.
There may be times when solo play is the activity you're taking part in, but it's not the majority. It's not wise to alter mechanics, to suit limited solo play in an MMO.

I would even say solo, there are ways to counter this. But that would require the imagination part, of my first answer.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#26 - 2013-02-26 14:27:04 UTC
Do you bumping complainers understand that bumbing is a mechanic intendeed to prevent ships to get stucked?

Removing or reducing it would lead only to have ships trapped and unable to move.
If removed people could do it on purpose: one or due ships could not simply bumping you away but just trapping you forever in a place.

And what about the criminal flag for bumping? Seriously? So let's say i sit in a battleship on an undock point and i can legally kill any hauler undocking and bumping me? Really do you want this?

Quintessen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2013-02-26 14:27:46 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Quintessen wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Quintessen wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Bumping is a perfectly legitimate mechanic to use. There are counters, but they require team mates and imagination.

I should have been specific to 1v1 counters then.
I'm not sure it's wise to alter a mechanic, just to suit solo play. This is after all, an MMO.

MMOs have to support solo play because without it, there is no group play.

If I'm the first person to log on and no one is around, then if the only thing I can do it group play I'm not going to stick around long enough for someone else to log on. Solo play is the intermediate activity until enough people are on for group play.

While I don't make any claim to speak for the people, I for one prefer group play. EVE is a pretty crappy solo game. It's boring. But I tolerate the solo play while hoping someone will pop online so that I can do group play. I even go out and advertise the activity I'm doing in order for strangers to play as well, but I rarely have takers. EVE is sometimes too spread out.

EVE needs to improve both the single player experience, but also the group experience.
There may be times when solo play is the activity you're taking part in, but it's not the majority. It's not wise to alter mechanics, to suit limited solo play in an MMO.

I would even say solo, there are ways to counter this. But that would require the imagination part, of my first answer.

I agree that development time should not focus on group activity, but rather some small percentage of dev time should be used to make sure that the solo game doesn't absolutely stink so people don't log on, realize there's nothing to do and log off. You can make the solo game engaging, but the group game even more engaging that people want to do that.

In terms of solo counters to bumping. There are some mentioned that work for the majority of hulls, but certainly not all. Also I believe that a mechanic and that's mechanic's counter should be about as easy to learn and discover. Bumping is far too easy and the counters not quite so obvious (when talking about very large hulls).
Quintessen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2013-02-26 14:30:00 UTC
Sura Sadiva wrote:
Do you bumping complainers understand that bumbing is a mechanic intendeed to prevent ships to get stucked?

Removing or reducing it would lead only to have ships trapped and unable to move.
If removed people could do it on purpose: one or due ships could not simply bumping you away but just trapping you forever in a place.

And what about the criminal flag for bumping? Seriously? So let's say i sit in a battleship on an undock point and i can legally kill any hauler undocking and bumping me? Really do you want this?

As I said before if you do an approach command and then actually bumped them you would get flagged. But it requires an active action on the part of the bumper. If people just happen to bump, oh well.

This could also be fixed by making approach not approach to 0, but that would eliminate it entirely most likely or at least make it far too difficult to accomplish.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#29 - 2013-02-26 14:32:47 UTC
Quintessen wrote:
Mag's wrote:

I agree that development time should not focus on group activity, but rather some small percentage of dev time should be used to make sure that the solo game doesn't absolutely stink so people don't log on, realize there's nothing to do and log off. You can make the solo game engaging, but the group game even more engaging that people want to do that.

In terms of solo counters to bumping. There are some mentioned that work for the majority of hulls, but certainly not all. Also I believe that a mechanic and that's mechanic's counter should be about as easy to learn and discover. Bumping is far too easy and the counters not quite so obvious (when talking about very large hulls).
Oh I'm not saying no dev time on solo play, but solo participation in bumping has to be rather limited and I disagree with altering it for that.

I agree solo in certain hulls, bumping will be an issue. But wouldn't you say that points more to those hulls needing group play, rather than bumping being the problem? I certainly would.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Quintessen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2013-02-26 14:41:54 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Quintessen wrote:
Mag's wrote:

Oh I'm not saying no dev time on solo play, but solo participation in bumping has to be rather limited and I disagree with altering it for that.

I agree solo in certain hulls, bumping will be an issue. But wouldn't you say that points more to those hulls needing group play, rather than bumping being the problem? I certainly would.

I would definitely agree that group play for some of these hulls would be good, but I have no idea (and in 10 years neither has CCP) on how to make the group play mind-numbingly boring. Well at least jump freighters can make use of a second character for jumps, but frankly I'm not sure how to make industrial hauling a group activity and I don't think that people should have to suffer in the mean time. Frankly I'm okay (though many will not be) with them making the solo parts a bit better and then going the other direction and making it a group activity.

Partly the problem is that in the real world trucking is a solo activity. Truckers talk to each other, but for the most part they don't travel together (any real truckers feel free to counter this -- I'm basing this on popular knowledge). Though most truckers don't have to deal with people blowing them up and taking their stuff.

It's a difficult problem and I don't really have an answer. Frankly I'm not really a victim of bumping but I see its use get reported all the time as a griefing tactic. Maybe it's just against people who are AFK, but I imagine it's still a problem with really large, heavy hulls.
Mike Whiite
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#31 - 2013-02-26 15:26:02 UTC
The best way to arange a counter is by, making it a real mechanic.

Ramming ships \o/

Though that would require a physics make over, again something i'd cheer for.

would makes mass somthing that has a positive side as well.

and would give a bonus to armor tankers against Shield tankers.

Sergeant Acht Scultz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#32 - 2013-02-26 16:01:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Sergeant Acht Scultz
Quintessen wrote:
EVE needs to improve both the single player experience...

CCP stated they're looking in to this, there's no valid reason why this shouldn't be possible in all areas of the game, however doing so without stepping on "group" abilities to mess with those is tricky.

You already have the option to move to another system and mine quietly, the best counter to bumpers is to ignore them and let them without nothing to mess with, they'll get bored at some point and move somewhere else.

Mine mission sites is another available option, probe sites etc. In the end you'll win a little bit more isk than dealing with those nerds. Eventually you can also find those huge neutral null sec corps those bump nerds are actually protecting and just bump them.

Cheapo Thorax with nanos shield extenders and mwd +rigs is dam agile and tops over 4km/s (add OGB and this number goes crazy for a cruiser), nice tool for bumping the bumper or bumper mining friends. Have fun messing with them as much as they have messing with you, even if they gank your ship you're still wining in the end.
You're making them get less isk/h and making them loose isk in your gank+loss SS. See this on a larger scale than the simple rock you want to mine, and it's good fun waiting your friends to log in then give them a reason to wardec said miner corporation.

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#33 - 2013-02-26 17:11:11 UTC
sabre906 wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:
bumping is a brilliant mechanic for disrupting enemy warps or transversal movement. it takes a fair amount of pilot skill to do it to a moving target, and should be rewarded.

bumps against stationary targets are easily avoided (just move) and are not a real issue.

Err... No. Bumping is easy as cake in a small cruiser with oversized mwd. You turn it on after aiming. And moving a freighter out of the way is... impossible. Different size boats' handling are different.

I don't support counter for bumping, btw. But with these forums full of vets, don't expect to lie in their face and have it unanswered.Roll

calling me a liar because i failed to mention a circumstantial scenario is a tad dramatic. and there are still things u can do to get around being bumped even in a freighter.Roll

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Quintessen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#34 - 2013-02-26 18:25:02 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
sabre906 wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:

calling me a liar because i failed to mention a circumstantial scenario is a tad dramatic. and there are still things u can do to get around being bumped even in a freighter.Roll

Hmm. specifics? How does freighter which cannot fit modules avoid bumps? Counter positions are good I think, but specifics are necessary to keep it from being useless arguments in the form of "uh huh... nuh uh".
methosbhunter
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#35 - 2013-02-26 18:43:04 UTC
back in the early stages of eve ships would take damage from ramming into each other this was quickly exploited with large ships sitting at warp in points and getting kills on smaller ships like using smart bombs so ccp disabled this mechanic.

bringing it back will only cause the same issues to represent themselves again but would be interesting to see if was returned would require a warning system in place with a cool-down be for suspect flag initializing but and so on it could be worked out

or could get more interesting in it and have modules or systems get damaged or disabled depending on where the ship was hit when bumped there is alot of imagination that can go into it from a developers stand point but initialization is the issue and planning to prevent exploitation is also another issue.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#36 - 2013-02-26 18:54:29 UTC
An earlier suggestion was a "space anchor" which lets you anchor your ship sort of like how POS arrays and GSCs get anchored. Like those cases, you could not anchor your ship too close to other anchored items such as GSCs, other anchored ships, or stations. (Which means you cannot clog up an undock with anchored ships). Unlike normal anchoring, it would not make you totally fixed. A bump would still move you, just not as much.

Although this would limit bumping off roids (it would still be possible, just harder), it does nothing for the case of using bumping as a substitute for a scram.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Daichi Yamato
#37 - 2013-02-26 20:05:02 UTC
Quintessen wrote:

Hmm. specifics? How does freighter which cannot fit modules avoid bumps? Counter positions are good I think, but specifics are necessary to keep it from being useless arguments in the form of "uh huh... nuh uh".

getting bumped when u try to undock? use an insta-undock or a have a friend in fleet sit out at one.

getting bumped when ur out and hauling? log off and comeback later. they'll get bored. if it persists everytime u try to haul and they follow u everywhere, it apparently constitutes as harassment. get a friend or alt to haul while petition goes through.

getting bumped and ganked? ur already dead. the bumping is legit and is the least of ur worries.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Quintessen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2013-02-26 20:13:16 UTC
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Quintessen wrote:

getting bumped when u try to undock? use an insta-undock or a have a friend in fleet sit out at one.

getting bumped when ur out and hauling? log off and comeback later. they'll get bored. if it persists everytime u try to haul and they follow u everywhere, it apparently constitutes as harassment. get a friend or alt to haul while petition goes through.

getting bumped and ganked? ur already dead. the bumping is legit and is the least of ur worries.

I mentioned 1v1 play, so presume no friends.

Secondly it seems a player's options when being bumped is to stop playing -- a true recipe for success.

And lastly, bumping as a stalling tactic (where the bumped can't aggress) until the rest of your fleet shows up is just dumb in my opinion. If you web/scram me I can defend myself. But if you're bumping I cannot until it's too late.

It's like the guy who keeps getting in your way without touching you until his buddies can show up and beat the crap out of you. I can't think of a single decent court that wouldn't see the guy stalling you as part of the aggressors.
Daichi Yamato
#39 - 2013-02-26 20:15:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Daichi Yamato
Quintessen wrote:
Daichi Yamato wrote:
Quintessen wrote:

I mentioned 1v1 play, so presume no friends.

Secondly it seems a player's options when being bumped is to stop playing -- a true recipe for success.

And lastly, bumping as a stalling tactic (where the bumped can't aggress) until the rest of your fleet shows up is just dumb in my opinion. If you web/scram me I can defend myself. But if you're bumping I cannot until it's too late.

It's like the guy who keeps getting in your way without touching you until his buddies can show up and beat the crap out of you. I can't think of a single decent court that wouldn't see the guy stalling you as part of the aggressors.

then i think the source of ur problem is that ur trying to 1v1 in a freighter...edit- u cant defend urself when ur scrammed in a freighter. just sayin

2nd edit - in a 1v1 the bumper has no friends to bring to the fight. so all hes doing is bumping u on his own. make an insta-undock or log off and come back later.

Weasel Juice
Mayhem and Destruction
#40 - 2013-02-26 22:01:52 UTC
Yes, give suspect flags for bumping. That would make the docking ring of Jita 4-4 REALLY fun to watch.

Bumping is fine, deal with it.

Solutions among others include: Insta undocks, webs, MJD, dodging, jump drives or just plain staying docked up.