These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Why are Forum Avatars different from in Game Avatars?

Author
Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-02-26 10:34:31 UTC
I always thought it was just my imagination when I made an avatar that looked awesome in the character creator but turned out to look much less impressive later.
But now look at this: http://i.imgur.com/SUufxAI.jpg
Both are supposed to be the same image- the first one is a screenshot from the game, the second was saved from the forums.
You can easily see that for example the hair in the in game version is much longer and thus casts different shadows on the face that change the whole expression.
Is this some kind of bug or working as intended?

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#2 - 2013-02-26 10:36:36 UTC
Do you have your in-game settings to max? and also high-quality characters turned on?

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#3 - 2013-02-26 10:41:30 UTC
Chribba wrote:
Do you have your in-game settings to max? and also high-quality characters turned on?

/c

Yes.
Do the forum downgrade the portraits to a lower setting?
But that should maybe change the textures, but not the length of the hair...

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#4 - 2013-02-26 10:42:19 UTC
From what I was able to experience :

When you change your avatar, the server first renders roughly a picture of the new version of you. Usually, this version has aliasing, and physics stuff like hair is clipping with the body. At this point, your avatar on the forums remain unchanged.

Then, after a duration ranging from a minut to a day, the server generates a better quality version of your avatar, which is applied to the forums, and in game.

The problem is that in game, you have that cache thing preventing you from having the last up-to-date portraits. And not only for a short duration. It's been two weeks now that a corpmate changed his avatar, and some of his portraits on my client are not updated, while others are.

So, you are probably seeing the "quickly generated" version of you, in game, because you didn't clean your game cache.

Signature Tanking Best Tanking

[Ex-F] CEO - Eve-guides.fr

Ultimate Citadel Guide - 2016 EVE Career Chart

Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#5 - 2013-02-26 10:54:47 UTC
OK, clearing the cache worked, now the in game avatar looks like the forum avatar.

Crap, I liked the ingame version much more Cry

Seven Noctis
#6 - 2013-02-26 11:06:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Seven Noctis
What also happens is that when you are taking your avatar shots, the character goes through an animation cycle (breathing, changing facial expression, moving the head around a bit, etc). The shot you take in-game captures the exact moment of that animation cycle. The forum avatar, however, does not, as far as I can tell. It's based on the default/rest position between the animation cycles. It's rendered separately and noticeably quicker than the in-game avatar, in my experience.

This is what I've observed through testing when I was trying to get the reflection on my glasses appear just as it does and noticed a discrepancy between in-game and forum avatars.
Renzo Ruderi
Doomheim
#7 - 2013-02-26 11:11:39 UTC
Zimmy Zeta wrote:
OK, clearing the cache worked, now the in game avatar looks like the forum avatar.

Wha? Your forum one was worlds better. Looks great.
Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#8 - 2013-02-26 11:15:52 UTC
Renzo Ruderi wrote:
Zimmy Zeta wrote:

It's a matter of general principle.
If I design a portrait, I want the result to look exactly like what I created, not going through some weird post-processing and giving me a slightly randomized version of my original work.
Yeah, I might be a little OCD....

Renzo Ruderi
Doomheim
#9 - 2013-02-26 11:23:25 UTC
Zimmy Zeta wrote:
Renzo Ruderi wrote:
Zimmy Zeta wrote:

If I design a portrait, I want the result to look exactly like what I created, not going through some weird post-processing and giving me a slightly randomized version of my original work.

No I get it, I just do the opposite and sit there waiting and refreshing until the chopped-up shadows get killed by that very same post-processing :)
Seven Noctis
#10 - 2013-02-26 11:27:15 UTC
Zimmy Zeta wrote:

If you want the avatar to look exactly like you intended, make sure it looks the way you want it to at the rest position between animation cycles and take the shot when it's in that state as well. Again, this is what I've determined through personal experience.
Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#11 - 2013-02-26 11:38:53 UTC
Seven Noctis wrote:
Zimmy Zeta wrote:

If you want the avatar to look exactly like you intended, make sure it looks the way you want it to at the rest position between animation cycles and take the shot when it's in that state as well. Again, this is what I've determined through personal experience.

Yeah..all that blinking is annoying (A weeping angel would have killed Zim several times over until the first photo is taken)
But breathing and blinking should not change the length of the hair....

Seven Noctis
#12 - 2013-02-26 11:43:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Seven Noctis
As far as I could tell, the problem was not the length of your hair but that the head was tilted at a slightly different angle in relation to the camera, as the result of all that breathing.
Lucy Oreless
Rise of Rephaim
#13 - 2013-02-26 11:51:15 UTC
I would like to suck long and hard on those lips Zimmy... Very nice portrait indeed Blink

I did not have sexual relations to THAT woman....

Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#14 - 2013-02-26 12:04:43 UTC
Seven Noctis wrote:
As far as I could tell, the problem was not the length of your hair but that the head was tilted at a slightly different angle in relation to the camera, as the result of all that breathing.

I just gave it another try.
The thing is, for the hair to only reach up to the eyebrow, I would need to tilt my head back quite a bit, much more than any breathing or twitching could do; so maybe the problem is with this haircut being slightly bugged.
I shall see in about one hour when the avatar updates.

@ Lucy Oreless:
Er...thank you...I guess....

Kristopher Rocancourt
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2013-02-26 12:42:53 UTC
the image i took has eyes closed, why do neither my forum or in game avatar show this?

http://killalliance.co.uk/tears/tears-holeysheet/

Halete
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2013-02-26 12:54:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Halete
Kristopher Rocancourt wrote:
the image i took has eyes closed, why do neither my forum or in game avatar show this?

Avatars will always render with their eyes open. That is to say, if you take the capture whilst blinking, you won't be blinking when it renders.

There's a way to get apparently closed eyes on an Avatar by squinting as a Vherokior whilst making it's expression, after tweaking the mesh in sculpting for maximum squint.

See my alt; https://image.eveonline.com/Character/92126033_512.jpg

"To know the true path, but yet, to never follow it. That is possibly the gravest sin" - The Scriptures, Book of Missions 13:21

Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#17 - 2013-02-26 13:12:29 UTC
OK, I cleared the cache, redid the portrait and it just updated.

Same issue as before: http://i.imgur.com/8pdyzxi.jpg

Seven Noctis
#18 - 2013-02-26 13:27:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Seven Noctis
You're right, hair is rendered very differently and it has nothing to do with difference in view angles. Guess it could be an issue with certain hairstyles, like you said.

EDIT: You could try to experiment with turning "physically simulated cloth and hair" on/off for the capture.
Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2013-02-26 13:35:05 UTC
You think you have a hair problem...? :P
Babar Baboli
Walrus Mafia
SONS of BANE
#20 - 2013-02-26 13:42:19 UTC
I'm sexy as hell both ingame and on the forums
12Next page