These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Fix Null > Nerf Hi

First post First post
Author
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#421 - 2013-02-26 06:51:31 UTC  |  Edited by: James Amril-Kesh
Stop with the "I don't want highsec trashed" stuff. Neither do we. When you cheapen the argument by saying that's all we want, then it shows you're not taking things very seriously.

CCP has made some decisions in the past that were too drastic or just plain bad, but in some cases it's also done things that just weren't enough to accomplish their primary goal. For example: releasing the armor honeycombing skill and the AAR.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#422 - 2013-02-26 07:37:02 UTC
Aren Madigan wrote:
RubyPorto wrote:
Aren Madigan wrote:
Increasing it a little bit is no problem. Increasing it a lot? Is massive inflation.

Nope. Cost increases != Inflation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation

First sentence. I can bring up other sources if wiki isn't good enough. But when 3 seconds is all it takes to prove you wrong.. well...

Look up what it means when the costs incurred in production increase. Because that's what we're talking about.

(Hint: It aint inflation).

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#423 - 2013-02-26 07:38:28 UTC
Tesal wrote:
RubyPorto wrote:

Shifting where stuff is built is the goal.

Shifting production, more slots, more offices, better POS is one thing. Rendering hi-sec obsolete is another thing. Also, shifting production from very many players to a few powerful players cuts out a large amount of the player base from industry. That's not good for the game.

Hey, I get to use the same line twice in one thread...

So, doing something that literally nobody is calling for is a bad thing? No ****....

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#424 - 2013-02-26 07:41:28 UTC  |  Edited by: RubyPorto
Aren Madigan wrote:
Eventually it becomes stable, but runaway inflation does sometimes happen for brief times. I find it more likely the other possibility will happen where mineral prices drop like a rock which probably eventually greatly reduce the number of miners in all areas until a certain point, but also cause problems with supply. Then to take into account of the relation to null sec... lets see...

say average of jump freighter is 310k m3 just to throw a number out there.. 16 million fuel costs...

...will get you to nearby Lowsec.

When I lived in Detorid, Fuel costs were about 100m/round trip. I don't even want to think about costs to Dronelands.

Aren Madigan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#425 - 2013-02-26 07:42:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Aren Madigan
RubyPorto wrote:
Aren Madigan wrote:
RubyPorto wrote:
Aren Madigan wrote:
Increasing it a little bit is no problem. Increasing it a lot? Is massive inflation.

Nope. Cost increases != Inflation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation

First sentence. I can bring up other sources if wiki isn't good enough. But when 3 seconds is all it takes to prove you wrong.. well...

Look up what it means when the costs incurred in production increase. Because that's what we're talking about.

(Hint: It aint inflation).

Don't need to because the articles I gave already makes what I stated fall under inflation. If anything, what you're trying to say would only mean that it also falls under the term you're thinking of as well. As well, not instead, especially if you're affecting all production. More likely what you're referring to is just the production cost increase and not the price increase as a result of the production cost increase.

RubyPorto wrote:

When I lived in Detorid, Fuel costs were about 100m/round trip. I don't even want to think about costs to Dronelands.

...you realize that just makes the number look scarier, right?
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#426 - 2013-02-26 07:45:42 UTC  |  Edited by: RubyPorto
Aren Madigan wrote:
Don't need to because the articles I gave already makes what I stated fall under inflation. If anything, what you're trying to say would only mean that it also falls under the term you're thinking of as well. As well, not instead, especially if you're affecting all production. More likely what you're referring to is just the production cost increase and not the price increase as a result of the production cost increase.

From the Wiki article that you linked:
"Measuring inflation in an economy requires objective means of differentiating changes in nominal prices on a common set of goods and services, and distinguishing them from those price shifts resulting from changes in value such as volume, quality, or performance."

A change in the fundamental cost of doing business is one of those price shifts.

That's 3 times in one thread that you have made my point for me.

Aren Madigan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#427 - 2013-02-26 07:49:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Aren Madigan
RubyPorto wrote:
Aren Madigan wrote:

"Measuring inflation in an economy requires objective means of differentiating changes in nominal prices on a common set of goods and services, and distinguishing them from those price shifts resulting from changes in value such as volume, quality, or performance."

A change in the fundamental cost of doing business is one of those price shifts.

You missed three words.. "volume, quality, or performance". Meaning quality or performance in the product or volume being produced, such as producing a higher or lower volume and adjusting price on that basis. Reading comprehension for the win. You have to look at the WHOLE sentence.

EDIT: For further evidence, http://www.investopedia.com/articles/05/012005.asp#axzz2LyTXBw6s
Cost-push inflation.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#428 - 2013-02-26 07:56:00 UTC  |  Edited by: RubyPorto
Aren Madigan wrote:
RubyPorto wrote:
Aren Madigan wrote:

You missed three words.. "volume, quality, or performance". Meaning quality or performance in the product or volume being produced, such as producing a higher or lower volume and adjusting price on that basis. Reading comprehension for the win. You have to look at the WHOLE sentence.

Wrong.

You missed the words "such as" which indicate that what follows are examples, not an exhaustive listing.

Changes in manufacturing practices (and thus costs) represent a change in the product.

You have to have some basic understanding of Economic principles (also English). Technology (i.e. fundamental production cost) changes are not inflation.

Arguing otherwise is claiming that IBM causes deflation when they improve their manufacturing process and reduce the price on their CPUs.

Aren Madigan wrote:
EDIT: For further evidence, http://www.investopedia.com/articles/05/012005.asp#axzz2LyTXBw6s
Cost-push inflation.

Read the whole article. Cost-Push inflation is when Labor or Raw material costs go up. Not when technology (i.e. fundamental production cost) changes (otherwise, again, IBM causes deflation whenever it improves its manufacturing process).

Aren Madigan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#429 - 2013-02-26 08:05:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Aren Madigan
RubyPorto wrote:

Wrong.

You missed the words "such as" which indicate that what follows are examples, not an exhaustive listing.

Changes in manufacturing practices (and thus costs) represent a change in the product.

You have to have some basic understanding of Economic principles (also English). Technology (i.e. production cost) changes are not inflation.

Arguing otherwise is claiming that IBM causes deflation when they improve their manufacturing process and reduce the price on their CPUs.

And they do in a sense. Their costs are down, resulting in a price drop on the product, thus for others to compete at the same level, they'd have to do the same. I didn't edit quick enough, so I'll link again...

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/05/012005.asp#axzz2LyTXBw6s

read under cost-push inflation. I'm not sure what the reverse is called but eh. The production costs are listed as a factor to inflation all over that article. They're passingly mentioned in the wiki article too but you choose to ignore them. If you're trying to argue that someone needs "some basic understanding of Economic principles" you should practice what you preach first.

EDIT: and to your edit, you listed two of the four factors listed, ignoring the other two.

EDIT2: "Aggregate supply is the total volume of goods and services produced by an economy at a given price level. When there is a decrease in the aggregate supply of goods and services stemming from an increase in the cost of production, we have cost-push inflation."

EDIT3: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/factors-production.asp#axzz2LyTXBw6s
"The capital is all of the tools and machinery used to produce a good or service."
Caitlyn Tufy
Perkone
Caldari State
#430 - 2013-02-26 08:31:45 UTC
Nicolo da'Vicenza wrote:
I merely say rebalance the industrial capacity of all the regions around their ship and goods consumption rate. That is the definition of fair. Newbies can still manufacture to fuel highsec conflicts and whatnot and nullsec industrialists will be called upon to fuel nullsec wars. The problem with universal outsourcing of industry to highsec is that it pits newbie industrialists against the most advanced and resource-rich industrial operations in EVE.

I disagree. One of the core mechanics of EVE economy is trade - trade between various parts of the game. By separating manufacturers, you reduce an important drive to keep trade lanes open and (relatively) safe. Imo, PI and exploration got it about right - you can do it in high sec, it can be profitable, but in order to really benefit from it, you need to risk the lower security.

The same should be done about industry, missions, mining (or, more precisely, refining) - they should all be more profitable in lower security areas, possibly with certain parts having different gains - for instance, low sec would be better for pirate industry and chance based mechanics.

That said, I also highly disagree with near perfect security in null sec, deep within sov territory. In order for risk vs. reward system to work, there must, above all else, first be risk. In my opinion, null needs more mechanics that drive conflict. One such imo cool mechanic would be randomized resources - they pop up in one area, then as you drain them, the materials would move elsewhere. For instance, you could get Technetium in Dekklein one month, then in Providence the next, then in Cobalt Edge and so on. In addition to this, steps would be undertaken to allow smaller groups to sneak by the guards and ninjamine in hostile territory. Simply ways to spark up conflicts, make things unpredictable, to turn it from a relatively stable, stale entity that it is today into a massive mess of shifting alliances and constant struggle for economic benefits.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#431 - 2013-02-26 08:45:10 UTC
Karl Hobb wrote:
An increase in manufacturing costs that is passed on to the consumer does not automatically signify inflation since the purchasing power of the money has remained the same.

Not automatically but it does happen. I am living in a country where inflation rose despite the crysis worsening and despite a loss of circulating capitals.

Economy is not an exact science, this forum looks like made by Monday quarterbacks talking each other.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#432 - 2013-02-26 08:46:52 UTC  |  Edited by: RubyPorto
Aren Madigan wrote:
RubyPorto wrote:

Wrong.

You have to have some basic understanding of Economic principles (also English). Technology (i.e. production cost) changes are not inflation.

And they do in a sense. Their costs are down, resulting in a price drop on the product, thus for others to compete at the same level, they'd have to do the same. I didn't edit quick enough, so I'll link again...

Milton Friedman: "Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon."
Inflation is Supply of Money Going up. That is all.

Increased production costs are not inflationary. Just like arguing that IBM lowering its prices is deflationary is ridiculous.

Let's, however, assume your defintion of inflation is correct, for now.
CCP clearly doesn't think that kind of inflation is a problem.
Mining Barges, Frigates, Cruisers, Battlecruisers. Soon Battleships. All have had their fundamental costs increased dramatically. The economy hasn't come tumbling down.

So even if we grant your definition, it's clearly not the problem you make it out to be.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#433 - 2013-02-26 08:53:27 UTC
Caitlyn Tufy wrote:
Nicolo da'Vicenza wrote:
I merely say rebalance the industrial capacity of all the regions around their ship and goods consumption rate. That is the definition of fair. Newbies can still manufacture to fuel highsec conflicts and whatnot and nullsec industrialists will be called upon to fuel nullsec wars. The problem with universal outsourcing of industry to highsec is that it pits newbie industrialists against the most advanced and resource-rich industrial operations in EVE.

I disagree. One of the core mechanics of EVE economy is trade - trade between various parts of the game. By separating manufacturers, you reduce an important drive to keep trade lanes open and (relatively) safe.

OK, let's swap the relative amounts of production in hi-sec and 0.0. We'll do ~95% of production in 0.0, and that production will have to supply hi-sec. Thus preserving the volume of "trade" which you think is the most important factor, right?

Right?

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Aren Madigan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#434 - 2013-02-26 09:09:44 UTC
Not "my" definition, its THE definition. I provided the proof, you just choose to ignore it or ignore the words in the statement you want to use to prove your faulty definition. You refuse to look at the whole picture. Also just because inflation at a certain level is ok, doesn't mean its ok at ALL levels. Its expected, but there's a limit. Frigate prices doubling I think surpasses that limit quite a bit. Potentially even worse than that... T2s do fall at a high, but perhaps acceptable level, but that's with numbers that likely predict the low low end of things. I could see those going to POS only if nothing else regardless, but overall, at the current costs, I just got see it as viable to balance all prices around bringing stuff from null sec into high sec. In fact it looks downright absurd to do that.

You're also taking Milton's statement out of context. The basis of the statement was that price inflation could be controlled with monetary deflation and price deflation controlled with monetary inflation. Not a concept I believe is entirely accurate, and neither do several modern day economists, but eh, I digress. He still doesn't control the definition of the word and inflation's definition is focused on prices. If you want to prove me wrong, cite sources, quit trying to twist things to fit YOUR definition. This is a silly thing to argue about, the definition of a word, when its pretty clearly laid out, black and white. If you want to prove me wrong on it, cite sources that actually prove it wrong rather than ignore context.
Lin Suizei
#435 - 2013-02-26 10:04:48 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Gargant
[Incorrect quote from Aren Madigan removed. Please don't misquote - CCP Gargant]

Taste the irony. You've tried to isolate the issues facing nullsec industry as one of profit margins, without considering the greater opportunity costs and quality-of-life issues faced by not-highsec pilots on a daily basis.

Making the issue solely about numbers highlights how much of the issue you are ignoring with each post you make.

Lol I can't delete my forum sig.

Rhugor
Viziam
#436 - 2013-02-26 10:04:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Rhugor
New to the game so I wont pretend to have a bit of an understanding of the culture war between null high and low sec, but reading through the first few pages of arguments makes me chuckle a bit. I do realize this is a video game, but games mimic life and life lessons since that is what designers pull from when creating them. Where in the world is efficient industry run on the front lines of any conflict? Highsec is the equivalent of an industrialized nation / arms dealer pumping cheap weapons into a war zone and laughing all the way to the bank with the blood money.

I'm not saying that I can't see the other side of the argument, there does need to be an incentive of sorts to producing in nullsec, but claiming its unfair that those in a relatively safe environment can produce goods with little to no risks is exactly right. It is unfair, its what every country in the world does on a daily basis. While maybe its not always based in war, countries do everything they can to increase their revenues by encouraging businesses to setup factories and use their local workforce and they wrap it all up in a nice little package of minimal risk for return on investment. Whether they do it through reduced taxes, lower paid work forces, etc etc. It's all risks that effect the bottom line and who in their right industrial oriented mind wouldn't want high profits at minimal risk to themselves?

Asking for concessions to make it fair to produce similar quality materials, in a decidedly more hostile environment is ridiculous.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#437 - 2013-02-26 10:09:24 UTC
Rhugor wrote:
Asking for concessions to make it fair to produce similar quality materials, in a decidedly more hostile environment is ridiculous.
Not really, no, since as you point out, it's a game and since the designers want it to work that way.

Asking for concessions to make the available game content meaningful rather than a waste of space is about as sensible as it gets.
Rhugor
Viziam
#438 - 2013-02-26 10:14:24 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Rhugor wrote:
Not really, no, since as you point out, it's a game and since the designers want it to work that way.

Asking for concessions to make the available game content meaningful rather than a waste of space is about as sensible as it gets.

If it was a waste of space, people wouldn't be there and threads like this wouldn't exist. I could see imposing a tariff or another form of increased cost for goods being imported from Highsec into Null and low as a viable concession that fits into the universe and makes sense compared to I want to punish those with better business acumen than myself.
Akiyo Mayaki
Perkone
Caldari State
#439 - 2013-02-26 10:18:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Akiyo Mayaki
Surely wouldn't mind a 'buff' to null security space. It's a sandbox game after all, digging should be rewarding.

No

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#440 - 2013-02-26 10:19:36 UTC
Rhugor wrote:
If it was a waste of space, people wouldn't be there and threads like this wouldn't exist.
Guess what: people aren't there, which is why threads like this exist.

Instead, they're in highsec, where they produce for free and with ease.

Quote:
I could see imposing a tariff or another form of increased cost for goods being imported from Highsec into Null and low as a viable concession that fits into the universe and makes sense compared to I want to punish those with better business acumen than myself.
Yes, let's make the problem even worse. That'll solve things. Roll

It has nothing to do with business acumen — it has to do with game mechanics that render parts of the game obsolete, and about fixing those mechanics so that the game actually offers the full range of activities it is designed to provide.