These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Fiction

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Food

First post
Author
Thgil Goldcore
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2013-02-19 06:17:31 UTC
Kinda did some digging around, and am curious about the different cultures food. From high end stuff to commoner's meals. Anyone have any sources related to what people in New Eden eat?
Ashlar Vellum
Esquire Armaments
#2 - 2013-02-19 15:01:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Ashlar Vellum
Solinum and Rockjaw are pretty common food in the empire. There is an article about food/flora/fauna on eve wiki, and a chron that mentions few dishes.
food/flora/fauna
chron
Stitcher
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#3 - 2013-02-19 15:54:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Stitcher
We know Caldari Prime was terraformed, it's not that much of a stretch that other worlds probably were as well. So, a lot of what's on those planets would probably be Terran species (i.e.: from Earth) maybe with a few of the more palatable and useful alien species discovered by humanity back in the Milky Way prior to the EVE gate collapse (which would explain where Kresh trees came from).

I think that spacefarers are probably primarily vegetarian out of necessity. Raising a meat creature in space is a significant investment of volume and calories, and hauling it up out of a gravity well would take a fair old whack of energy, so meat is probably quite expensive in space.

One possible exception might be fish. If you kept a basically brainless cloned fish in a tank barely larger than itself and electrically stimulated it to swim against a constant current, you could farm huge numbers of edible fish in a fairly small volume. If you go with the dimensions of an Atlantic Salmon, at 120cm by 50cm by 50cm you could farm the fish in a box that was about 0.8m3, and it would yield 24-25Kg of meat, plus useful byproducts that could be used as fertilizer for the hydroponic farm, plus roe to restock the farm and sell the surplus as caviar.

So a 500m3 volume (about the space of a battleship's cargo hold) could yied 15,625Kg of salmon meat every harvest (about 5 years or so for an atlantic salmon to reach maturity). The cargo hold of a Charon could yield a minimum of 24,531,250Kg of salmon meat every five years.

During the years 2000-2004, Americans consumed an average of about 284,000 metric tons of salmon annually (first hit on Google). so, it takes the cargo capacity of about 60 freighters to produce enough salmon meat for a population of approximately 300 million people. If the population of one station is about a million people (judging from the death toll of Malkalen) then that means that one station has the capacity to produce enough salmon meat to feed the population of 300 stations.

Plus, let's be honest, giant-ass racks of fish with wires in their brains is pretty frakking scifi.

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

Tayno Errakken
Peace and Progress
#4 - 2013-02-19 16:56:27 UTC
All from ingame items:

"Protein Delicacies are cheap and nutritious food products manufactured by one of the Caldari mega corporations, Sukuuvestaa. It comes in many flavors and tastes delicious. Despite its cheap price and abundance it is favored by many gourmet chefs in some of the finest restaurants around for its rich, earthy flavor and fragrance."

"Cereal grasses have been localized on hundreds of worlds. The grains of the wheat plant make a solid foundation for the production of foodstuffs within empire space. Amarrian Wheat is known for it's purety, and has reputedly never been tampered with by genetic engineering."

"These products, extracted from livestock, are one of the biggest cogs in the food production cycle. Dairy products are rich with calcium and help make sure the inhabitants of the EVE universe all have shiny teeth."

"Frozen food is in high demand in many regions, especially on stations orbiting a non-habitable planet and a long way from an agricultural world."

"The eggs of the hanging long-limb are among the most sought after delicacies in fancy restaurants. The roe is quite rare because no one has succeeded in breeding the species outside its natural planetary habitat."

Sepherim
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2013-02-19 17:49:09 UTC
Okay, I'm going to stretch and over-simplify tons of things from every culture in this temptative post, so before you go jump saying "Caldaris are not japanese!", I know. Just making a starting point, or something. Other influences can be added later on.

-Amarr: most people relate the empire to either Rome or Byzantium in many things, so I'd say that if we apply this to food they'd probably have some sort of mediterranean diet: meat, whine, good bread and similair things (like empanadas), fish, olive oil, and salads.

-Caldari: playing on their japanese influence, they'd probably have many dishes with rice, noodles, fish both cooked and not, tea (there was even an RP Caldari chat room called the tea house or something).

-Gallente: let's focus mostly on their american influence (instead of the french, which would be closer to Amarr's food), they'd have fast food, whikey and other alcoholic drinks, lots of meat, pizza, wheat and other such things, different kinds of sandwiches, good cheeses.

-Minmatarr: to be honest, I'm not too clear on Minmatarr influences, so I'll leave that for other posters.

All this, as I said, is an over-simplification to give a starting point to the debate, and would have to include the alien species mentioned like the long-limb.

Sepherim Catillah Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris Liuteneant Ex-Imperial Navy Imperator Commander

CCP Eterne
C C P
C C P Alliance
#6 - 2013-02-20 11:38:34 UTC
There is a fairly extensive section on Ni-Kunni cuisine in their article. I definitely am not pointing this out because I wrote that article. Nope.

Otherwise, most other items have been brought up, though a few have not, such as:
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Nidupadian_Yorak_Eggs

Suffice to say, cuisine in New Eden can be quite varied.

EVE Online/DUST 514 Community Representative ※ EVE Illuminati ※ Fiction Adept

@CCP_Eterne ※ @EVE_LiveEvents

Grideris
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2013-02-20 12:23:08 UTC
For Gallente, this article might be useful: http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Culture_of_the_ethnic_Gallente#Cuisine

http://www.dust514.org - the unofficial forum for everything DUST 514 http://www.dust514base.com -** the** blog site with everything else DUST 514 you need

Seriphyn Inhonores
Elusenian Cooperative
#8 - 2013-02-20 12:27:03 UTC
Sepherim wrote:
-Gallente: let's focus mostly on their american influence (instead of the french, which would be closer to Amarr's food)

Sure about that?

Don't really see any French influences amongst the Amarr outside of folks who want to play the High Middle Ages in Space.
Sepherim
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2013-02-20 13:01:04 UTC
No, but southern France has a cuisine quite similair to that of the italian and spanish. Northern France probably has one more different indeed, but I don't know it much beyonde crepes. xD

Sepherim Catillah Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris Liuteneant Ex-Imperial Navy Imperator Commander

Samira Kernher
Cail Avetatu
#10 - 2013-02-20 13:14:38 UTC
CCP Eterne wrote:
There is a fairly extensive section on Ni-Kunni cuisine in their article. I definitely am not pointing this out because I wrote that article. Nope.

Otherwise, most other items have been brought up, though a few have not, such as:
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Nidupadian_Yorak_Eggs

Suffice to say, cuisine in New Eden can be quite varied.

Ni-kunni food is best food. Yay spicy!
Anslo
Scope Works
#11 - 2013-02-20 15:16:32 UTC
Amarr- European/Byzantine influence
Caldari- Japanese/Chinese/Korean influence (<3 kuashis)
Gallentean- Western European/American with various fushions
Minmatar- Middle Eastern, South Asian, and Northern African influences

You're welcome.

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Stitcher
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-02-20 15:19:33 UTC
Caldari also have a bit of a northern European (or at least Finnish) influence.

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

LOL56
STK Scientific
The Initiative.
#13 - 2013-02-22 07:07:32 UTC
The Amarr have SOME European influences, but they are more Persian than anything.
Fener Iste
Deep Cover Operations Command
#14 - 2013-02-23 01:52:49 UTC
Minmatar eat bananas

No but interesting topic really. i think that Gallente has a very wide and open food culture, much imported from the other empires but there is some traditional dishes they love and are proud of but they still really dont bother that much and will eat anything that tastes good and want to try out new stuff. While the Caldari and the Ammarians are proud and only eat what their parents and grandparents ate. Oh and also Minmatar is much like the Caldari and the Ammarians but they also try out some traditional Gallente dishes, cause you know Gallente is Gallente.

Wannabe outlaw.

YuuKnow
The Scope
#15 - 2013-02-23 02:09:59 UTC
Capsuleers don't eat. Nutrients are pumped directly into there veins matrix style. Waste is recycled by on-board waste-nutrients bioconverters... mmmmm yummmy!

yk
YuuKnow
The Scope
#16 - 2013-02-23 02:10:52 UTC
Fener Iste wrote:
Minmatar eat bananas.

Stealth racism detected.

yk
Eli Green
The Arrow Project
#17 - 2013-02-23 04:33:39 UTC
YuuKnow wrote: