These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Should my Tormentor exit warp cloaked ?

Author
Edam Neadenil
Bax Corporation
#1 - 2013-02-20 05:21:24 UTC
What the topic says, my tormentor frigate comes out of warp gates cloaked. its a generic Tormentor with no cloaking device.

Is this normal and I am misunderstanding something about warp gates or is something odd going on ?
Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#2 - 2013-02-20 05:24:19 UTC
Edam Neadenil wrote:
What the topic says, my tormentor frigate comes out of warp gates cloaked. its a generic Tormentor with no cloaking device.

Is this normal and I am misunderstanding something about warp gates or is something odd going on ?

You get about a minute of gate cloak so that you have time to, for example, load grid. You will always be cloaked upon entering a system until you take an action.
Edam Neadenil
Bax Corporation
#3 - 2013-02-20 05:29:34 UTC
Kahega Amielden wrote:
Edam Neadenil wrote:

You get about a minute of gate cloak so that you have time to, for example, load grid. You will always be cloaked upon entering a system until you take an action.

Cool thanks,
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#4 - 2013-02-20 05:36:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
The cloak effect is 30-60 or so seconds or until you move, you can't be targeted while gate cloaked, unless you move (the effect will still be there for a few seconds but you will appear on another players overview as soon as you start to move)

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Oraac Ensor
#5 - 2013-02-20 10:16:10 UTC
Kahega Amielden wrote:
Edam Neadenil wrote:

Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
The cloak effect is 30-60 or so seconds or until you move, you can't be targeted while gate cloaked, unless you move (the effect will still be there for a few seconds but you will appear on another players overview as soon as you start to move)

From a warp gate? (Which presumably means an acceleration gate.)
Eliniale
Co-operative Resource Extraction
#6 - 2013-02-20 11:08:51 UTC
Oraac Ensor wrote:
Kahega Amielden wrote:
Edam Neadenil wrote:

Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

From a warp gate? (Which presumably means an acceleration gate.)

I assume he got the two mixed up and was in fact talking about a stargate.

For those who are unfamiliar witht he difference:

An acceleration gate (or warp gate) creates a warp bubble around you and then slings you in the direction it's facing, this will always be less than an AU of warp.

A stargate creates a mini-wormhole around you, and uses this to transport you to the linked system.

System ideas: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=191928&find=unread

Vilnius Zar
SDC Multi Ten
#7 - 2013-02-20 11:16:07 UTC
Gate cloak is exactly 60 seconds.
Aptenodytes
Reckless Abandon
#8 - 2013-02-20 11:21:16 UTC
The reason for this is to combat lag. If you were instantly able to be shot and killed before your client had even loaded the new system up, then it wouldn't be very fair. So the gate cloak allows you to be ready to go, before you are able to be killed.
Merouk Baas
#9 - 2013-02-20 13:07:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Merouk Baas
When you undock from a station, you're also invulnerable for 30 seconds provided you don't do anything, other than look around. Unlike gates, you're not cloaked, just nobody can target you, and you will pass through the other ships instead of bumping into them.

This is also to give your computer time to load up and display the people around you (load up the grid, as we call it), and give you a chance to assess the situation and react if you're in enemy space.