These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Breaking the boot - Designing an EWAR fire ship

Author
DIsposible Hero
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-02-19 02:15:43 UTC
Quote:
A fire ship, used in the days of wooden rowed or sailing ships, was a ship filled with combustibles, deliberately set on fire and steered (or, where possible, allowed to drift) into an enemy fleet, in order to destroy ships, or to create panic and make the enemy break formation. Ships used as fire ships were usually old and worn out or purpose-built inexpensive vessels.

This is potentially a really dumb idea, but I'd be interested to know exactly how dumb, and how/if it can be made not-dumb.

I've been pondering potential counters to the now ubiquitous "boot" carriers. Something that isn't "drop dreads on them", "drop supers on them" or "drop even more boot carriers on them". The only way to beat the boot's reps would be to either deal enough damage to counter the capital reps (not likely), or disrupt the reps in some way. I.e, ECM or energy neutralizers.

I'm looking to put together some kind of fire ship; a suicide EWAR boat, effictively. I'm not expecting anything going up against slowcats to last very long. For this reason, I'm ideally looking at cheap frigate or destroyer-sized hulls. The idea would be to warp in on top of the slowcats and deploy EWAR in support of a conventional fleet (probably snipers sat at 120km+); they don't need to be able to do any kind of DPS, or have much tank. My leading candidates so far are:

ECM Burst Punisher (aka: "Little B*****d", inspired by the battleclinic fit of the same name, could be any frig really):

Pros: Cheap, fast enough to hopefully evade sentry drone fire at close range
Cons: Not likely to have much impact unless used in very large numbers, will have to come into smartbomb range to be at ECM burst's optimal

Neut Thrasher (aka, I pulled this out of be arse after 5 minutes in EFT):

4x small neuts, 4x Small nos (cap stable without MWD)

Pros: Cheapish, draining cap also prevents jumping out and smartbombing
Cons: Needs to be in smartbomb range to use neuts

Suicide Blackbird:

Pros: Good odds of jamming something, can orbit outside of smartbomb range
Cons: Large target compared with frigs or destroyers and more expensive than both, luck-dependent; could do nothing at all

Sensor dampening *something*

Pros: No idea
Cons: No idea

Seems like sensor damps could be used to good effect here, but to be honest I've never touched them. Maybe someone else can comment

So those are terrible but you see what I'm trying to do; how do you cause the maximum amount of disruption to a slowcat blob with a minimum amount of pilots and isk? I'd be interested to see what people come up with.
Hamatitio
The Forsakened Few
We Forsakened Few
#2 - 2013-02-19 05:05:57 UTC
I've always wanted to try 10-15 brick tanked scorpions with ecm bursts warping into the middle of a hostile fleet., staggering ecm bursts, and waiting to see if it was worth the isk.
DIsposible Hero
State War Academy
Caldari State
#3 - 2013-02-19 22:07:14 UTC
Hamatitio wrote:
I've always wanted to try 10-15 brick tanked scorpions with ecm bursts warping into the middle of a hostile fleet., staggering ecm bursts, and waiting to see if it was worth the isk.

Can't you only fit one ECM burst per ship now though? So surely there wouldn't be much advantage to a Scorpion over a random frigate, except maybe for cap. It would also be a target large enough for the sentries to blap if they do manage to get a lock.

I'm beginning to think the key here must be sensor damps. In my distant past I recall being in a level 4 mission where I was sensor damped so badly I couldn't lock anything, I'm wondering how many ships it would take to do the same thing to an Archon. Will try to do some experimentation and report back, but if anyone else knows how to crunch the numbers or has done this before, please let me know!
Sjugar
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-02-19 22:49:26 UTC
Why a scorpion?

The scorpion has a range bonus to ECM burst.

Why don't you just warpin smartbombing battleships right on top the Boots?
John DaiSho
JDS Enterprises
#5 - 2013-02-20 01:15:51 UTC
Bombing runs are effective also. While they dont scratch the carriers or their ability to spidertank, killing so many T2 sentry drones is costing the enemy a LOT of ISK. Plus: eventually they will run out of those (That will take a lot of bombing runs, though)

The biggest problem I see with that...killing drones does not generate killmails, regardless of how many hundret million ISK are destroyed. That alone will keep most PvPer from doing it repeatedly.
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#6 - 2013-02-20 01:38:50 UTC
How many people facing how many carriers are we talking bout here?

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

DIsposible Hero
State War Academy
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-02-20 05:06:28 UTC
Liang Nuren wrote:
How many people facing how many carriers are we talking bout here?

-Liang

This is mostly hypothetical anyway, but assume the carriers are outnumbered.
feihcsiM
THE B0YS
#8 - 2013-02-20 10:02:48 UTC
Your best bet would be to choose the support class, lay your C4 charges on a jeep, drive it into your target then detonate.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.