These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Call for witnesses in the trial of Leopold Caine

Author
Khanton Angka
Doomheim
#1 - 2013-02-18 20:09:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Khanton Angka
Today Leopold Caine was taken into Shandian Iu custody by Salena Ashera under my direct orders as an elder of the Shandian Iu sub-clan. He faces several charges of Terrorism, slave trading, destruction of a holy site and murder.

The Shandian Iu clan would greatly appreciate anyone with information pertaining to his suspected criminal actions and affiliations, while no reward will be posted for this, it will be very helpful to the pursuit of justice.

We are awaiting the appearance of any witnesses, for or against Mr Caine before we organize a time and date for his trial, we would appreciate it if any witnesses could come with some sort of evidence to prove their claims.

According to the laws of the Shandian Iu, the prisoner is entitled to visits from friends and family. He may also request to meet with witnesses, under supervision of the sub clan enforcers.

Spirits bless.
Safai
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2013-02-18 20:49:13 UTC
Hopefully the investigation leads to a swift execution.
Valerie Valate
Church of The Crimson Saviour
#3 - 2013-02-18 20:56:05 UTC
This one time, I saw Leopold Caine do this thing with this person.

True story.

Doctor V. Valate, Professor of Archaeology at Kaztropolis Imperial University.

Halete
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2013-02-19 00:11:41 UTC
Oh, but I assure you; in no way is Leopold Caine associated with the Angel Cartel.

Wait, you didn't mention the Angels?

Well...

"To know the true path, but yet, to never follow it. That is possibly the gravest sin" - The Scriptures, Book of Missions 13:21

Carmilla D'Morenta
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2013-02-19 00:29:07 UTC
Hopefully this farce will be over soon. The only people who can determine the guilt of Leopold Caine are his peers. And those, sir and not within the Minmatar Republic.
Ishta Maleto
#6 - 2013-02-19 01:10:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishta Maleto
I'm willing to speak, contact me for details.
Ishta Maleto
#7 - 2013-02-19 01:10:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishta Maleto
(( delete ))
DeadRow
Daeuuas.
#8 - 2013-02-19 01:12:33 UTC
How much does it pay?
Koronakesh
Seekers of a Silent Paradise
#9 - 2013-02-19 02:07:34 UTC
Safai wrote:
Hopefully the investigation leads to a swift execution.

Indeed.

SASPR Amir al-Mu'minin

Khanton Angka
Doomheim
#10 - 2013-02-19 02:34:42 UTC
DeadRow wrote:
How much does it pay?

Khanton Angka wrote:
The Shandian Iu clan would greatly appreciate anyone with information pertaining to his suspected criminal actions and affiliations, while no reward will be posted for this, it will be very helpful to the pursuit of justice.

I'll be sending you a mail soon, Ishta.
Saede Riordan
Alexylva Paradox
#11 - 2013-02-19 06:07:01 UTC
Well here's a farce of justice waiting to happen If I've ever seen one.
Lasairiona
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2013-02-19 10:31:28 UTC
I'm sure I'm the odd one out, but I've never had any trouble from Mr. Caine. I would like to visit him though, if possible.
Ishta Maleto
#13 - 2013-02-19 13:14:21 UTC
Offer withdrawn.
Stitcher
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#14 - 2013-02-19 16:09:26 UTC
Execute a capsuleer. That's a good one. Oh how we laugh.

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

Brother Ludwigus
#15 - 2013-02-19 16:13:09 UTC
Is the detainee's galnet access supervised as well as his visitations? He seems to be planning attendance of parties.

Soli Deo gloria.

Leopold Caine
Stillwater Corporation
#16 - 2013-02-19 16:54:13 UTC
Parties scheduled almost a whole week from now.

I'm sure I'll manage to get back home by that time once this little thing has been sorted out.

Unless you're implying you doubt my innocence, Mr. Ludwigus?
  • Leopold Caine, Domination Malakim

Angels are never far...

Stillwater Corporation Recruitment Open - Angel Cartel Bloc

Khanton Angka
Doomheim
#17 - 2013-02-19 17:23:44 UTC
All his conversings and Galnet access are being monitored and recorded.
Merdaneth
Angel Wing.
#18 - 2013-02-19 19:59:24 UTC
On what basis are the Shandian Iu claiming jurisdiction over this case? I would like to determine if I would be to the clan's justice?

Can you provide us with a more details about the accusation?

Can you give me more details about the Shandian Iu subclan judicial process? For all I know the ultimate determination of guilt is decided by summoning the tribal spirits and looking in which direction the flames waver.
Khanton Angka
Doomheim
#19 - 2013-02-19 21:05:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Khanton Angka
Merdaneth wrote:
On what basis are the Shandian Iu claiming jurisdiction over this case? I would like to determine if I would be to the clan's justice?

Can you provide us with a more details about the accusation?

A few months ago there was a slave raid against Republic space, a small station in the Haligur system was assaulted by a small contingency of Archangel space craft. Aboard this station was a Shandian Iu standing place, a location sacred to the Minmatar. During the raid it was destroyed by auto cannon fire from a Cynanbal operated under Leopold Caine's pilots license.

The stations security software was also attacked at the same time and our shields were brought down, allowing for a boarding party to take 56 Minmatar, among them members of the Thukker, Vherokior, Krusual and a member of the Starkmanir tribe. Among them was a Shandian Iu Mystic and her apprentice that were maintaining the standing place.

As Leopold Caine was present during the attack, took Shandian Iu tribesmen and eradicated a hundred years old meeting place for the leaders of the Shandian Iu, we believe ourselves to be firmly in our jurisdiction to detain, try and punish Leopold Caine for his crimes against the Shandian Iu and some of our dearest allies among our people.

Merdaneth wrote:
Can you give me more details about the Shandian Iu sub clan judicial process? For all I know the ultimate determination of guilt is decided by summoning the tribal spirits and looking in which direction the flames waver.

A pairing of judges are selected to try the accused. Any learned member of the Shandian Iu could conceivably be called to this role, depending on the severity of the crime. In the case of serious crimes, like the desecration of a sacred place and slave raids tribal elders are selected to preside over the trial.

There are no lawyers, the accused represents himself and is given up to 3 weeks to gather witnesses to his good character and moral fiber, alibi, or necessity in committing the crime (Shandian Iu elders have long held the belief that only people that willingly commit a crime should be punished. A man that steals a loaf of bread in order to save himself from starvation for example, would be freed by the court after successfully presenting his case for helplessness.) the Shandian Iu sub clan call upon the community for witnesses and evidence in his crime or poor character and lack of morality. A witness to a crime cannot attest in court as having witnessed the crime its self without evidence of having been there. Surveillance records of the crime are considered witnesses with iron-clad testimony.

At this point we chant the magic words and throw bones into a wooden bowl to decide whether or not the accused is guilty.

Only kidding. the two members of the Shandian Iu acting as judges decide among themselves on the accused guilt based solely on the evidence provided in the court. If something is left out then it cannot be brought up in the trial, no matter the importance of it. In the event of the judges being of differing opinions, the audience of the trial votes on innocence, helplessness or guilt of the accused.

In the event of the accused being innocent, he is absolved of all guilt and paid reparations. If found helpless in the crime he is freed and if found guilty the judges settle on a punishment between themselves, submit it for review and then have enforcers carry out the punishment, be it incarceration or for the Shandian Iu that request it, the traditional tribal punishment.

We have not contacted the spirits in a trial since before the darkest days of our clan. Secularism has always been substantial in the Shandian Iu, and our leaders generally rule with both halves to us in mind as they are largely equal in numbers today.