These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why do people do missions in hisec?

Author
Orlacc
#61 - 2013-02-18 16:48:48 UTC
0/10

"Measure Twice, Cut Once."

Google Voices
Doomheim
#62 - 2013-02-18 16:57:37 UTC
DrunkenNinja wrote:
Hello folks I am sort of confused, why do so many people do missions in hisec?
I have been told that the ISK/hour of ratting in nullsec (which is more fun) is higher than missions in safe systems—and if you do nullsec missions or exploration you can make far more ISK.
So please tell me why do so many people (not beginning players) do missions in hisec? Do they offer some reward I don't know about?

Yes, and the Easter bunny is coming to town........

"Fozzie could not comment on when this issue would be resolved and stated that “one day Veritas will come up to me and say ‘hey I fixed off-grid boosting’”, but he had no idea on a potential timeframe for this sort of miracle."

Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#63 - 2013-02-18 17:00:29 UTC
Soulpirate wrote:
Posting in yet another "Nerf Highsec" thread.

It needs a nerf something fierce.

A professional astro-bastard was not available so they sent me.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#64 - 2013-02-18 17:05:38 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

The stress is not caused by unpredictability, its caused by a confrontational interaction with another person. People who do not like stress can still like doing a new mission for the first time because they do not know whats coming, its unpredictable. Also they can like watching conflict between others, even though the results are unpredictable. Or paying the market. Or exploration.

The point is highlighted. non-consensual PVP everywhere is a core feature of EVE, even in high sec (the only difference there are the consequences). Choosing to play a game where you can be suicide ganked (one of those so-called "confrontational interactions with another person") and that gank makes you "sick" makes as much sense as that epileptic playing the flashy flashy lightbulb game.

Quote:

As a real world example, consider fishing. Its considered a relaxing pass time, yet you have no idea when, or if, you will catch a fish.

The unpredictability of when a confrontation can or will happen is what I'm talking about, not unpredictability in a vacuum

[quote]And I think you may need a recount as to who the majority of eve players are.

The majority of eve players don't get physically ill (as you suggest) playing EVE, so we're not talking about them.
Kai Sheia
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#65 - 2013-02-18 17:05:47 UTC
The way I see it, it all boils down to a bad balance of tradeoffs.

Null appears, at least to some, to pretty much be harshly polarized. Either you are "in", and you can do what you want, making money hand over fist, with a degree of safety that would bore the pants off of many high-sec dwellers.... Or you are not, you die quickly and decisively, without having had any chance at all to do anything.

Is there somewhere in between, in null?

The other issue is what it takes to get "in", and attain the null access with less than absolute certainthy of death and failure.

Some people do not find the idea of having to spend their game time, doing what others tell them, or being obligated to do certain things, ect.

Its more profitable and (to you) more fun to rat and run anoms in null? Ok... Now make a list of what you give up in order to have that, that someone in HS doesnt have to give up.

Make sure that list includes everything. (Including things like being able to drop the game at a moments notice, ect)

Now... Assuming that people value the things on the list differently, can you conceive that the trade off might not be worhwhile for some?

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#66 - 2013-02-18 17:11:45 UTC
Kai Sheia wrote:

Null appears, at least to some, to pretty much be harshly polarized. Either you are "in", and you can do what you want, making money hand over fist, with a degree of safety that would bore the pants off of many high-sec dwellers.... Or you are not, you die quickly and decisively, without having had any chance at all to do anything.

The other issue is what it takes to get "in", and attain the null access with less than absolute certainthy of death and failure.

Some people do not find the idea of having to spend their game time, doing what others tell them, or being obligated to do certain things, ect.

Its more profitable and (to you) more fun to rat and run anoms in null? Ok... Now make a list of what you give up in order to have that, that someone in HS doesnt have to give up.

Make sure that list includes everything. (Including things like being able to drop the game at a moments notice, ect)

Now... Assuming that people value the things on the list differently, can you conceive that the trade off might not be worhwhile for some?

This post is a perfect summation of all the things high sec people believe about null sec that's mostly not true (or only true of specific null sec groups, my group, for example, doesn't make anyone do anything they don't want to).
Josef Djugashvilis
#67 - 2013-02-18 17:39:02 UTC
DrunkenNinja wrote:
I have been told that the ISK/hour of ratting in nullsec (which is more fun) is higher than missions in safe systems—and if you do nullsec missions or exploration you can make far more ISK.
So please tell me why do so many people (not beginning players) do missions in hisec? Do they offer some reward I don't know about?

Because I can and want to.

As an added bonus, it upsets many null-sec forum warriors.

This is not a signature.

Ankles McGlashan
Doomheim
#68 - 2013-02-18 17:42:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Ankles McGlashan
Kai Sheia wrote:

yes there are many non-sov regions of null, like syndicate, where the stations are NPC corp held just like in low and high. it's basically a free-for-all.

I mean, they're still extremely dangerous but it's possible to live there. even red frog (black frog) will deliver for a handsome reward.
Takseen
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#69 - 2013-02-18 18:20:04 UTC
Ankles McGlashan wrote:

yes there are many non-sov regions of null, like syndicate, where the stations are NPC corp held just like in low and high. it's basically a free-for-all.

I mean, they're still extremely dangerous but it's possible to live there. even red frog (black frog) will deliver for a handsome reward.

Reminds me of a big issue of trying to operate solo in nullsec. Getting your ammo and modules in and your loot back out to market is shockingly expensive. Black frog atleast makes it tolerable.
Barbara Nichole
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#70 - 2013-02-18 18:27:02 UTC
DrunkenNinja wrote:

I going to pretend you are serious. Most who do missions in high sec (those not mission botting) are doing it for standing and LP. Standing of a certain level is required for jump clones in high sec and for refining ore without excessive tax. The LP is mainly used to buy items for sale on the market. Botters (if they still exist) do it for the margin of safety high sec provides while they are AFK.

- remove the cloaked from local; free intel is the real problem, not  "afk" cloaking -

[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/DawnFrostbringer/consultsig.jpg[/IMG]

Kai Sheia
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#71 - 2013-02-18 18:34:09 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

This post is a perfect summation of all the things high sec people believe about null sec that's mostly not true (or only true of specific null sec groups, my group, for example, doesn't make anyone do anything they don't want to).

and I 100% concede that possibility. personally I'd be interested in operating in null if I could do my industry and rat and run signatures and all that good stuff without having to be obligated to do what others say and such for CTA's or whatever, that'd be great!

I for one have nothing against contributing. ... just a matter of the distinction between contributing when and how you can, and being chained to simply playing for someone else, at their whim.

Ankles McGlashan wrote:

and people don't arbitrarily blow you to **** whenever you try to do anything? interesting.

Hestia Mar
Calmaretto
#72 - 2013-02-18 21:09:53 UTC
DrunkenNinja wrote:

Yes they do...I can drop in, do missions for an hour then log-off; not having had to open 4 chat channels, scan for intel, answer a CTA, and make sure that no naughty red has wormed his way through the 5 blue systems surrounding my ratting system.

Casual. That's all I need from the game.

H
Reuben Johnson
Gal-Min Industries
#73 - 2013-02-18 21:15:59 UTC
DrunkenNinja wrote:
"
Hi, Im a Null/Sov gatecamper that's going to kicked from Test if I don't get my killboard up higher, seeing how we're all to incestually invovled with Goons to have a real fight ,so Im wondering if a bunch of hi-sec missioners would be stupid enough to venture through my gate in vain hopes of making more ISK per hour to help me out. Thank you."
There, fixed that for you.

While you can make more per mission in low/null/sov, you can make more per hour in Hi, since you don't have to constantly be looking over youre shoulder and multiboxing to check gates for campers. Most missioners only have a couple hrs of play time before work (you know, real life stuff) and want to maximize their time. Hi sec missions per hour is more lucrative per hour then low/null/sov.
Ankles McGlashan
Doomheim
#74 - 2013-02-18 21:19:50 UTC
Kai Sheia wrote:
and people don't arbitrarily blow you to **** whenever you try to do anything? interesting.

no they do you have to learn how to get around, especially avoiding bubbles but there's plenty of youtube vids can show you how.

there's also a bunch of people in your npc corp that live in null you could ask about them in corp chat. they sometimes organise roams so newbies can try out null en masse.
Core Researcher
Not You Fat Jesus
#75 - 2013-02-18 21:32:13 UTC
DrunkenNinja wrote:

1. SUPPORT CASUAL AND SOLO PLAY.
No CTAs
no-one camping your station
no pecking order for the complex
no searching for a system to rat in
no ship to ship pvp unless you choose it

2. SUPPORT "BEST USE OF TIME"
no searching for mods, ammo, ships, skills
no trawling multiple jumps for a system
no-one camping your station

3. ITS MORE INTERESTING THAN MINING
new AI has made life more interesting

4. SUPPORT SMALL GANG AND CORP PLAY

do you need more? There are more but these are pretty big ones.

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#76 - 2013-02-18 21:36:51 UTC
DrunkenNinja wrote:

LP. If you're getting the right stuff with you LP, highsec missions pay more than nullsec ratting. Of course most mission runners don't know what to spend their LP on & I have no problem with this.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#77 - 2013-02-18 21:37:22 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Vincent Athena wrote:
[quote=Jenn aSide]

The stress is not caused by unpredictability, its caused by a confrontational interaction with another person. People who do not like stress can still like doing a new mission for the first time because they do not know whats coming, its unpredictable. Also they can like watching conflict between others, even though the results are unpredictable. Or paying the market. Or exploration.

The point is highlighted. non-consensual PVP everywhere is a core feature of EVE, even in high sec (the only difference there are the consequences). Choosing to play a game where you can be suicide ganked (one of those so-called "confrontational interactions with another person") and that gank makes you "sick" makes as much sense as that epileptic playing the flashy flashy lightbulb game.

That depends on if the flashy lightbulbs, in this case ganks, are largely avoidable. In highsec they for the most part are so the game can be enjoyed despite what other feel it's "all about"
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#78 - 2013-02-18 21:37:45 UTC
DrunkenNinja wrote:

LP. If you're getting the right stuff with you LP, highsec missions pay more than nullsec ratting. Of course most mission runners don't know what to spend their LP on & I have no problem with this.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Red Maiden
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#79 - 2013-02-18 22:03:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Red Maiden
DrunkenNinja wrote:

I've probably been playing computer games since before you were born, so if I want to recreate my fun times playing the original "Elite" games by missioning and trading in high sec, I'll do so. Being old kinda immunizes you against kids who don't have a lot of perspective or responsibility. In between the many missions that I run, I'll probably yell out the window at the kids on my lawn too.

I love the idea of null sec, and the type of gameplay (actual and meta), that happens there, and I don't begrudge the people who play there. EVE wouldn't be EVE without it. But I just don't have the time for null sec (beyond reading about it or watching the occasional video).
Dyjal'Ryn
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#80 - 2013-02-18 22:11:05 UTC
I do missions in a Sentry Domi to maintain standing so I don't have to leave my corp to install jump clones on those rare occasions I lose them.

I nulsec rat in a Mymridon.

Some people like doing missions. Some people don't want to risk their ships. There are a host of reasons why people might do Highsec missions, and they are all valid.