These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why do people do missions in hisec?

Author
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#41 - 2013-02-18 14:50:40 UTC
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#42 - 2013-02-18 14:57:39 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
It does make me wonder why high sec thinks 0.0 is safer when they havent even left high sec because its too dangerous
Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#43 - 2013-02-18 15:05:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Mina Sebiestar
Because it is common sense?

How about you open in game map and set it to pilot docked and active and take a look at it any given day and at any given time to see where ppl are.

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#44 - 2013-02-18 15:06:10 UTC
Mina Sebiestar wrote:
Because it is common sense?

How about you open in game map and set it to pilot docked and active and take a look at it any given day any at any given time to see where ppl are.

That proves what point?
Ad'Hakim Tahous
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#45 - 2013-02-18 15:12:01 UTC
La'Krul wrote:
DrunkenNinja wrote:
Hello folks I am sort of confused, why do so many people do missions in hisec?
I have been told that the ISK/hour of ratting in nullsec (which is more fun) is higher than missions in safe systems—and if you do nullsec missions or exploration you can make far more ISK.
So please tell me why do so many people (not beginning players) do missions in hisec? Do they offer some reward I don't know about?

Standings = high sec POS and reduced market and refining costs.

LP = rewards which you can sell or use.

Safety = a consistent isk stream without having to regularly replace ships

Ratting and exploration in null sec will probably require being part of a null alliance and that is likely to make you a drone, playing the game at the behest of your masters. It will also mean having to buy a fleet of alliance fit ships and replacing them when they inevitably pop. These are all costs which the high-sec mission runner avoids.

This!
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#46 - 2013-02-18 15:14:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Felicity Love
Mhax Arthie wrote:
It's much more safe to rat in null, but it''s boring as hell.. as renter. If your in a pvp alliance, you may have no time for rating. Hi/low sec is much more fun, plenty of targets, a lot of drama.

Because CTA's lasting 2+ hours, repeatedly grinding structures for no actual gain, strategic or otherwise, is about as boring as it gets ?

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Darius Brinn
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#47 - 2013-02-18 15:23:58 UTC
DrunkenNinja wrote:

But the constant safety is no fun at all.

Who are you to say?

To me, mining for three hours in High Sec is no fun at all.

Fleeting with another 200 lemmings, locate someone in Local, lock & press F1 when ordered to do so, is no fun at all.

We all have our playstyles.
Sasori BaeI
Adepta Sororitas.
#48 - 2013-02-18 15:44:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Sasori BaeI
It's no fun to me to watch the local while beeing a sheep (PVE FIT). No Thrill either, doesn't get me excited when i know i have to log off or stop doing what i do (earning isk) to play it "safe".

Neither do i play for making ISK, i started playing for making group sized pvp, (roaming). So high sec missions are an acceptable necessity for providing the ISK i need for pvp.
Sasori BaeI
Adepta Sororitas.
#49 - 2013-02-18 15:45:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Sasori BaeI
-(sorry) browser / forums sucked my post out and posted an empty window.
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#50 - 2013-02-18 15:51:37 UTC
DrunkenNinja wrote:
I have been told that the ISK/hour of ratting in nullsec (which is more fun) is higher than missions in safe systems—and if you do nullsec missions or exploration you can make far more ISK.
So please tell me why do so many people (not beginning players) do missions in hisec? Do they offer some reward I don't know about?

1. nullsec ratting is not more fun than lvl4s. Actually if we speak about farming then we speak about anomalies. And people tend to run the same type of anomaly again and again (for example when i lived in Droneland i only did Drone Hordes - the best anomaly at that time). Missions offer wider range of situations (close/long ranges, different NPC types, different tasks: kill'em'all or check if they will attack you).
2. Empire is where all live is. In 0.0 you only have farming or "pvp" (actually it is more: check intel+local, hide when enemy appear)
3. Runnins missions in low-sec is not possible to regular mission runner (because of local piwates)
4. there is more benefits to running missions in empire (like reducing taxes for trading)

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Zak Breen
Breen Enterprises
#51 - 2013-02-18 15:56:03 UTC
It's not worth the ship loss.

Maturity, one discovers, has everything to do with the acceptance of not knowing. http://www.di.fm/spacemusic

Mhax Arthie
Doomheim
#52 - 2013-02-18 16:00:06 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Mhax Arthie wrote:
It's much more safe to rat in null, but it''s boring as hell.. as renter. If your in a pvp alliance, you may have no time for rating. Hi/low sec is much more fun, plenty of targets, a lot of drama.

How many time does a high sec mission runner have to dock up because a neutral entered local?

In hi sec, local is full with neutrals! Compared to null when you see the neutral gang coming from a long way thanks to the intel reports. Hi and low sec is way more dangerous than null will ever be. Kill the local in null and maybe the danger will be at the same level.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#53 - 2013-02-18 16:07:41 UTC
DrunkenNinja wrote:
Whitehound wrote:
You need to include the cost of a ship loss when in low-/null-sec, which can occur far more often. You also cannot just do complexes or go ratting whenever you want when in low-/null-sec, but have to make yourself available for corp and alliance duties, which cuts into your available time.

Of course, if you are currently living in a blue zone ... *cough* ... then it might appear like a peaceful haven and you'd be probably right.

But the constant safety is no fun at all. Doing hisec missions, nothing interesting ever happens. AND the isk/hour is lower.
I guess what im trying to ask is: "In a game like EVE Online, why do people so covet a ridiculous level of safety?"

What you call "fun" others call stress. Stress that results in a rather horrid feeling that can persist for days and is to be avoided whenever possible.

So why play eve at all? Because its the best sci fi simulation game on the market. You know of a comparable one? Star Trek on line is not a sandbox, SWOL is not.., What is?

Why are some people like this? Because different people have brains built differently. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21487016

"Some of the connections between different parts of the brain might be different for people with different characters and abilities, so for example there's one connection we already know about in people who like taking risks and (a different one) for people who like playing it safe. "

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Tialano Utrigas
Running with Dogs
Triumvirate.
#54 - 2013-02-18 16:16:17 UTC
Mhax Arthie wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Mhax Arthie wrote:

How many time does a high sec mission runner have to dock up because a neutral entered local?

In hi sec, local is full with neutrals! Compared to null when you see the neutral gang coming from a long way thanks to the intel reports. Hi and low sec is way more dangerous than null will ever be. Kill the local in null and maybe the danger will be at the same level.

I'm not entirely sure we're playing the same game What?
Nuela
WoT Misfits
#55 - 2013-02-18 16:20:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Nuela
DrunkenNinja wrote:

HI sec is much more safe. You can still get jumped but just don't overpimp your ship and you'll be fine. This allows you to fly a ship that does more DPS/has more tank unless you wish to risk such a ship in null sec.

Hi sec you can use a clone with expensive implants allowing you to run missions better/faster.

Hi sec gives you LP and LP is a significant portion of your income doing these missions.

Null usually wants something from you for your being there. They want isk, higher tax rate because of the infrastructure upkeep, Call to Arms etc.

If you salvage or 'gun mine' you can sell your stuff for more than you can in null. In addition, the market is much, much larger in Hi sec.

It is easier to move stuff around in Hi sec. Getting your stuff out of null runs from irritating to dangerous....though usually just irritating. If you rely on others it is more expensive as well to get your stuff out.

You always have to be 'on' in null sec. No relaxing.

Always the possibility of a war started and you being on the losing side. Since you spend much time/isk getting set up to run efficiently there this is a pain.

You are limited in exploring/ratting in Null sec. You are usually 'allowed' to probe/rat in only a few systems and many people are competing with you in those systems. You can go elsewhere but if you get caught people get royally pissed. If you explore/rat in NPC space there is usually competition and the danger factor is higher.

In order to fit your ship...try somethign new...replace a loss it is near instant in hisec. In null the market is weaker and many times you have to ship your stuff in.

Much more drama in Null. Someone is alwayspissed off at someone else (in the same alliance)

Finally, Hisec just PAYS more than null. I know people think I am nuts when I say this...but ALL THINGS CONSIDERED I make the most isk/hour running hisec missions.

I have tried many different types of activities. I have lived in WHs. I have run Incursions. I have ratted and explored in Null. I have run anoms in null. Many different things. The one that pays most AFTER ALL THINGS CONSIDERED are hisec level 4 missions.

The activity I have not tried but am close to is running anoms in Null with a carrier. It appears that this will break my ceiling and will be the way to go.

So why do I usually hang in Null? Because it forces you to interact with alliance mates and that is where more excitement is. Excitement is negatively correlated to isk generation however,
Soulpirate
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#56 - 2013-02-18 16:27:38 UTC
Posting in yet another "Nerf Highsec" thread.
Davith en Divalone
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#57 - 2013-02-18 16:31:38 UTC
Some nights, I like playing hide and seek with everyone else in local (or on D-Scan if i'm daytripping in w-space).

Some nights, I don't.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#58 - 2013-02-18 16:31:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Vincent Athena wrote:
DrunkenNinja wrote:
Whitehound wrote:
You need to include the cost of a ship loss when in low-/null-sec, which can occur far more often. You also cannot just do complexes or go ratting whenever you want when in low-/null-sec, but have to make yourself available for corp and alliance duties, which cuts into your available time.

Of course, if you are currently living in a blue zone ... *cough* ... then it might appear like a peaceful haven and you'd be probably right.

But the constant safety is no fun at all. Doing hisec missions, nothing interesting ever happens. AND the isk/hour is lower.
I guess what im trying to ask is: "In a game like EVE Online, why do people so covet a ridiculous level of safety?"

What you call "fun" others call stress. Stress that results in a rather horrid feeling that can persist for days and is to be avoided whenever possible.

So why play eve at all? Because its the best sci fi simulation game on the market. You know of a comparable one? Star Trek on line is not a sandbox, SWOL is not.., What is?

Why are some people like this? Because different people have brains built differently. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21487016

"Some of the connections between different parts of the brain might be different for people with different characters and abilities, so for example there's one connection we already know about in people who like taking risks and (a different one) for people who like playing it safe. "

The cut-down of that is that some people just shouldn't be playing certain types of games, like sandboxes. Alos a perfect example of why one game can't be for "everyone". "Everyone" doesn't have the same brain chemistry. EVE is a game for the people who find "cold/dark things" to be "fun".

A sandbox situation is unpredictable and that means stress, High Sec (particularly missions) ARE themepark style content, BUT at it's heart eve is still a non-consensual pvp sandbox.

This is probably why you see people (who you can tell JUST got suicide ganked) come to the forums complaining about how unfair that kind of thing is. They got hit with an unexpected and stressful situation (which hurts) and they then advocate removal of those kinds of things...because it hurts.

But again, they are looking at it the wrong way around, it's not that the game needs to change to prevent situations that hurt them (why punish the majority of us that LIKE the unpredictability and conflict?), it's that they need to find another game that has NO non-consensual pvp and thus no surprise stress situations...like Star Trek Online.

Edit: TL;DR A person who finds core features of EVE "stressful" instead of "Fun" but still chooses to keep playing makes as much sense as a guy with epilepsy choosing to play a game called "Flashy-Flashy Lighbulbs".
Anabella Rella
Gradient
Electus Matari
#59 - 2013-02-18 16:35:26 UTC
Why the hell do you care? I smell a troll.

When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around.

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#60 - 2013-02-18 16:47:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
Jenn aSide wrote:
Vincent Athena wrote:
DrunkenNinja wrote:
Whitehound wrote:

The cut-down of that is that some people just shouldn't be playing certain types of games, like sandboxes. Alos a perfect example of why one game can't be for "everyone". "Everyone" doesn't have the same brain chemistry. EVE is a game for the people who find "cold/dark things" to be "fun".

A sandbox situation is unpredictable and that means stress, High Sec (particularly missions) ARE themepark style content, BUT at it's heart eve is still a non-consensual pvp sandbox.

This is probably why you see people (who you can tell JUST got suicide ganked) come to the forums complaining about how unfair that kind of thing is. They got hit with an unexpected and stressful situation (which hurts) and they then advocate removal of those kinds of things...because it hurts.

But again, they are looking at it the wrong way around, it's not that the game needs to change to prevent situations that hurt them (why punish the majority of us that LIKE the unpredictability and conflict?), it's that they need to find another game that has NO non-consensual pvp and thus no surprise stress situations...like Star Trek Online.

Edit: TL;DR A person who finds core features of EVE "stressful" instead of "Fun" but still chooses to keep playing makes as much sense as a guy with epilepsy choosing to play a game called "Flashy-Flashy Lighbulbs".

The stress is not caused by unpredictability, its caused by a confrontational interaction with another person. People who do not like stress can still like doing a new mission for the first time because they do not know whats coming, its unpredictable. Also they can like watching conflict between others, even though the results are unpredictable. Or paying the market. Or exploration.

As a real world example, consider fishing. Its considered a relaxing pass time, yet you have no idea when, or if, you will catch a fish.

And I think you may need a recount as to who the majority of eve players are.

But last your comment actually answers the question posed by the OP. For many players leaving high sec would be like a guy with epilepsy choosing to play a game called "Flashy-Flashy Lighbulbs".

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction