These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Training Queue Time Increase

First post
Author
Kilmannan
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2011-10-25 20:25:13 UTC
Apologies for posting again here but no other choice!

I remember the big bane of this game for me when I originally played was the 24hr limit to the skill queue.

I've searched the forums but surprisingly, unless I'm using really poor search terms, can't find much discussion on the matter.

Has there been any real push to get the queue limite upped to, for example, a week?

For myself it's always a problem when I'm away for weeks or months at a time and can only stick on one 24+ skill. Just wondered if there'd been any serious soundings from the heads of shed on the matter?

Velicitia
XS Tech
#2 - 2011-10-25 20:30:02 UTC
it's not a "queue" per se. It's a 24 hour reprieve from having to remember to switch skills. You can have 23 hours and 59 minutes of skills in the queue, and then throw in a 30 day skill without any trouble...

Back before we had the "queue", you either had to wake up at ZOMGWTF Early to switch skills or toy around with your skill plan to ensure you didn't have something finishing during downtime.

The addition of the 24 hour "queue" was enough to let you set your skills up in such a way as to avoid logging in at stupid times to change the skills that were training. There's no need for it to be any longer than 24 hours.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#3 - 2011-10-26 00:43:34 UTC
It was worse, there was no skill queue; you had to do every single one manually and some times at odd hours of the night.

We're pretty happy with what we have now....

The Drake is a Lie

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#4 - 2011-10-26 05:22:29 UTC
Why is the 24hr queue a "bane"? How was it stopping you playing the game?

As has been pointed out, you can queue up any number of skills to train as long as the last one in the queue starts before the 24hr window is over. Thus you can start training a skill at level 1, queue up level 2 and 3, and not need to look at the queue again until tomorrow night.
CCP Phantom
C C P
C C P Alliance
#5 - 2011-10-26 15:04:59 UTC
Hello Kilmannan,

The most likely reason for almost no discussion of the skillqueue length might result from several facts: Many players log into the game at least once every 24 hours. Also, many skills - especially the higher ranks and levels - need a few days before they are completed. Training Battleship to Level 5 needs a good month if I remember right. So after even only a few weeks playing EVE the need for a much longer skillqueue is considerably reduced.

That might explain why there is not much discussion about this topic.

I remember the old times with no skillqueue at all. You either had to time your skills in a really clever way or you had to get up in the middle of the night to start training a new skill. Big smile

CCP Phantom - Senior Community Developer

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#6 - 2011-10-26 15:45:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Lors Dornick
There's one more reason to keep it at 24 hours.

Several actions in the game are delayed 24h to make sure that people aren't left out due to Timezone differences.

You'll get a 24h alert on wars, a 24 alert on attacks on POS and Sov structs.

EvE is alive 23 1/2h a day (unless Tuxford is unlucky) so there has to be some balance between EvE is Real and People need to sleep and work/study.

So really, checking your queue and notifications every 24 hours is a good thing.

But as F4 said, don't worry, you'll end up with skills that can take 30d+ ;)

ps
A more annoying thing is that you can't queue advanced skills despite having the required one in queue.
ds

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Camios
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2011-10-26 19:23:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Camios
Sometimes I miss those times when you had to wake up early for a skill... it made you feel that EVE was "real time"... that something important was going on...
Besbin
Blue Republic
RvB - BLUE Republic
#8 - 2011-10-26 21:04:30 UTC
One thing that I've considered would be a very very very pleasant quality of life addition, is if you retained the present 24H queue as it is, but allowed for setting one skills as a "after this queue finishes training, this skill will train. After that's trained, you're on your own".

The problem is when you have a large number of skills at the 1-3d range. You can only fit one of those into the queue, but if you're away for the weekend, that won't really suffice. So... If you could set of those 16+d skills in as a default-to training skill, it would never be worse than the queue switching over to one of those long hauls, while you could still keep your everyday focus on the shorter (3d-) skills that're more fun to train (dunno about you, but watching paint dry IS more interesting than watching BS V skills train).

/Besbin
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#9 - 2011-10-26 21:32:25 UTC
You can plan for a weekend by training one of those 1.5d skills down to <24h, then training something else instead. When it comes to the weekend, start training the <24h skill again, then pack a 1.5d skill in behind it: problem solved :)

I worked around the "alarm clock skill training" problem by leaving long skills to train overnight, then training something not-so-long e.g.: 10h when I left for work. I always had something interesting to fill in time with. Then my playtime in the evening was a case of juggling skills to ensure that I had something to train tonight and tomorrow :)
KaarBaak
Squirrel Team
#10 - 2011-10-26 22:00:23 UTC
I have a couple of lvl5 skills that are partially trained for those long breaks between logins.

The issue I dislike is the prerequisites. Not being able to throw Skill-y lvl1,2,3 into the queue after I finish Skill-x lvl5 because Skill-x lvl5 is required. Not a huge deal....I just throw something onto the end of the queue and then get Skill-y going next time I'm on. I kinda understand why it has to be that way, but seems like someone smart in Iceland could figure out a way around it.

Dum Spiro Spero

Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#11 - 2011-10-29 01:23:27 UTC
Besbin wrote:
One thing that I've considered would be a very very very pleasant quality of life addition, is if you retained the present 24H queue as it is, but allowed for setting one skills as a "after this queue finishes training, this skill will train. After that's trained, you're on your own".

The problem is when you have a large number of skills at the 1-3d range. You can only fit one of those into the queue, but if you're away for the weekend, that won't really suffice. So... If you could set of those 16+d skills in as a default-to training skill, it would never be worse than the queue switching over to one of those long hauls, while you could still keep your everyday focus on the shorter (3d-) skills that're more fun to train (dunno about you, but watching paint dry IS more interesting than watching BS V skills train).

/Besbin

thats a quite cool idea
+1

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Kilmannan
State War Academy
Caldari State
#12 - 2011-10-30 12:30:28 UTC
Thanks for the replies!

I played back in late 2003 / early 2004 and I don't remember there not being a skill queue. Having said that, it was a long time ago. All I do remember is getting my Badger MkII smashed to bits and rage quitting as I'd been soloing and my entire Eves lifes work vanished in a plume of ganking. :D

I understand all the arguments and see why there's not much debate however the suggestion made above about having a default 'train this when queue is empty' is a pretty damn good idea.

Thoughts?
Gentle Josie
Radchak's Raiders
#13 - 2011-11-01 11:34:37 UTC
Besbin wrote:

/Besbin

+1