These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How often do haulers get suicide ganked?

Author
Lord Battlestar
CALIMA COLLABORATIVE
Atrox Urbanis Respublique Abundatia
#21 - 2013-02-12 06:19:39 UTC
I have never been ganked, but then again i don't carry stupid loads either. It is all about making yourself difficult to kill and not profitable to kill.

I once podded myself by blowing a huge fart.

Atlas Durham
Ancient Architects
#22 - 2013-02-12 18:52:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Atlas Durham
Edit: Move along, nothing to see here.
DarthNefarius
Minmatar Heavy Industries
#23 - 2013-02-13 01:20:34 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:
RubyPorto wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:
2. Don't be a loot PiƱata.

Really just this.

An ATK Freighter/Indy is only marginally harder to gank then an APing one.

* You can't be bumped approaching the gate when you warp-to-zero.
* If someone bumps you as you are trying to leave a gate, they have to kill you within 1 minute if you logoff, and the gank squad probably isn't even on grid yet (gank squads don't often hang around gates).
* AFK gives potential gank squads a lot of time to organize (or to be awakened, or login) though gank-pros have alts all along major pipes.

1. True, but they can just bump the juicy target on the other side of the gate while movinging your Taloses across.
2. Noobship+Civvy gun = 15min timer. More than long enough to bump you out of the 250km of a Concord spawn's insta-gib radius or to reset the spawn. (You want to bump the Freighter away from the gate anyway to avoid Gate guns if you're using Taloses).
3. Sure, but you can bump an atk freighter indefinitely too.

One thing not mentioned here is the safe log off. It takes 25 seconds of not being agressed & you don't have to worry about bumping. #2 has to time it right or have multiple noob ship alts while the DPSgets set up.
An' then Chicken@little.com, he come scramblin outta the    Terminal room screaming "The system's crashing! The system's    crashing!" -Uncle RAMus, 'Tales for Cyberpsychotic Children'
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#24 - 2013-02-13 01:36:07 UTC
DarthNefarius wrote:
One thing not mentioned here is the safe log off. It takes 25 seconds of not being agressed & you don't have to worry about bumping. #2 has to time it right or have multiple noob ship alts while the DPSgets set up.

Safe logoff cannot be initiated during the 15min logoff timer, and gaining said timer cancels the safe logoff.

Quote:
You cannot be safely logging off while:
  • You have aggression from players or NPCs
  • You cannot initiate a safe logoff while any of these things are happening, and if they happen once the countdown is running, it will be aborted.

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Safe_logoff

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Dex Thunakar
    Evil Genius Organisation
    #25 - 2013-02-13 10:23:53 UTC
    How often? Hmmm.... every day.
    DarthNefarius
    Minmatar Heavy Industries
    #26 - 2013-02-13 20:12:27 UTC
    RubyPorto wrote:
    DarthNefarius wrote:

Safe logoff cannot be initiated during the 15min logoff timer, and gaining said timer cancels the safe logoff.

Quote:
  • You cannot initiate a safe logoff while any of these things are happening, and if they happen once the countdown is running, it will be aborted.

Yep so it's no longer possible to just bump a ship w/o them being agressed unless the pilot is unaware of the safe logoff.
    Can you extend the 1 minute 'unsafe logoff' by continuously bunping the ship?
    An' then Chicken@little.com, he come scramblin outta the    Terminal room screaming "The system's crashing! The system's    crashing!" -Uncle RAMus, 'Tales for Cyberpsychotic Children'

Kara Books
    Deal with IT.
    #27 - 2013-02-14 04:09:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Kara Books
    Bugsy VanHalen wrote:
    RubyPorto wrote:
    Bugsy VanHalen wrote:
    The gank made a profit of 400M and took less than 5 minutes. Even split between 8 ganker pilots that is 50M each for 5 minutes work, or effectively 600M per hour. There are very few activities in game that can make that kind of isk

1) Each gank takes a minimum of 15min (due to GCC).
    2) You're excluding the time you have to wait before you get a target.

True but the point still stands. Even one gank per 15 minutes or even one per half hour is good isk, especially if you consider only ganking two freighters per hour you will be spending more time finding worthwhile targets, ganking ships that will give you far more profit. Not to mention gankers usually use alts, and you can have more than one alt to avoid the 15 minute GCC. I would say 500-600M/hour is doable ganking freighters, perhaps not likely, but doable. For sure you can do better than the 50-60M you would get from running missions.

My point was ganking freighters can not only be done for profit, but can be more isk/hour than most other high sec activities. You are a GOON. If you have participated in these ganks you know this to be true. It can be verified by looking at the kill boards. I have seen many many freighter ganks where up to 10 billion in loot dropped. I have actually seen very few where less than 1B dropped. Although I do not know how big of a cut your corp/alliance takes of the top.

But then again this could be used by the anti gankers to call for change. Why should Ganking be amount the most lucrative high sec activities? Considering it is based on players being stupid enough to undock with way to much value in there cargo hold, there is really not much CCP can do about it without breaking the game.

if your corp takes more then their fair share, as in taxes your loot and adds corp tax then you need to find another corp alliance pronto.

(edit part V)

the numbers I dont remember exactly but it goes something like this.

in .5-.6 systems 6-8 Talos are best used.
    the cost of the Talos fully gank fitted is about 110M isk (don't quote my exact numbers) - or 80M isk for the Hull and 25-30M isk fittings.
    the Talos, salvaged should yield about 20M~ isk on average and half of the fittings drop so another 15M isk in fittings drop average.

That means, each 110M isk Talos investment, if looted and salvaged really costs the ganker 75M isk.
    6 Talos 450M isk / 8 Talos 600M isk.

A salvaged freighter, I don't know what the average is, but lets say 50M isk more into the gankers pockets.

So, in 0.5- 0.6 systems, your cargo cannot exceed 400 and 550M isk to be completely immune to profit seekers.

Point is, calculate exactly how much the Gankers have to lose and that's the cargo limit.
    RubyPorto
    RubysRhymes
    #28 - 2013-02-14 04:28:44 UTC
    DarthNefarius wrote:
    RubyPorto wrote:
    DarthNefarius wrote:

Quote:

Yep so it's no longer possible to just bump a ship w/o them being agressed unless the pilot is unaware of the safe logoff.
    Can you extend the 1 minute 'unsafe logoff' by continuously bunping the ship?

My main thing was the "or have multiple newbie ships." If you can't get your gank squad together in 15m (while you're actively looking for targets) there's something wrong.

IMHO the proper time to use your newbie ship is as soon as you start bumping (more experienced gankers might have reasons why I'm wrong). You're going to be bumping them out of gate gun range anyway, so the Newbie ship pilot will just dock his pod then undock to draw CONCORD away from the gate (this takes less time than bumping a freighter ~150km and has the added benefit of guaranteeing the increased response time, though you should have set that up anyway).

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Bugsy VanHalen
    Society of lost Souls
    #29 - 2013-02-14 15:09:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Bugsy VanHalen
    RubyPorto wrote:
    Bugsy VanHalen wrote:

My point was ganking freighters can not only be done for profit, but can be more isk/hour than most other high sec activities. You are a GOON. If you have participated in these ganks you know this to be true. It can be verified by looking at the kill boards. I have seen many many freighter ganks where up to 10 billion in loot dropped. I have actually seen very few where less than 1B dropped. Although I do not know how big of a cut your corp/alliance takes of the top.

As usual, still never paid my ::tenbux::

Sure. If you count all the successful ganks of all the gank groups, assume that they're consistently making that income and ignore both the failed ganks (which don't show up on kbs) and the fact that each drop is split over 10+ people (or accounts if you want to go that direction) per squad and the fact that you're counting the results of multiple groups, you get 500-600m/hr.

Ok, So 500-600M was more an ideal max based on what I have seen dropped by freighters on the KB's rather than a sustainable income. I was speaking of what a single fleet could obtain though not multiple fleets.. 500M/hr for a 12 man fleet would only require 4 ganks per hour at 1.5B profit per gank. Say the gank fleet costs 800M (GOONS have claimed in the past that a freighter gank only costs 650M) after considering loot and salvage from the ganking ships, that only requires an average drop of 2.3B which is very common on the kill boards.

I don't know the exact doctrine the GOON gank squads use. But say you have a fleet of 12 including a scout or two. the scout scans freighters until it finds one WORTH ganking. This will not take long. There are loads of very dumb freighter pilots hauling loads worth several billion isk out of Jita constantly. the scout follows the freighter letting the fleet know its course. The fleet sets up for the gank in a appropriate 0.5-0.6 system. 5 minutes the gank is done. The scout then has 15 minutes to find the next high value target while the gank fleet waits out the GCC timer. And that is only if the gank fleet does not have other gank alts to switch too thus avoiding the 15 minute GCC.

So you should be able to pull off about 4 ganks per hour, most likely more using multiple alts to avoid waiting for GCC cool down. with 15 minutes to find the next target you will be hitting ships for maximum profit. conservatively say 1B profit per gank as you are probably hitting freighters with at least 4B in cargo. So at 1B profit per gank, your fleet should make about 4B profit per hour. Divided by 12 fleet members that is still Over 300M/hr per fleet member, and should be well attainable for an organized fleet not using multiple alts.

Even if you believe that to be still much higher than realistic, considering a mission runner typically makes 40-60M/hr. Even making 100M/hr ganking freighters should be easy, still making it one of the highest paying activities in high sec.

Yet with the amount of freighters on the kill boards that have dropped more than 2B in loot, a well organized gank squad, that does use multiple alts so you can gank the next target before GCC wears off. Combined with good competent scouts, and a little luck finding freighters with more than 4B in cargo, 500-600M/hr is possible, even if not regularly attainable.

Or are you GOONS denying this only because you fear this high paying high sec activity will get nerfed, or freighters will get buffed, making this easy money go away?
    Bugsy VanHalen
    Society of lost Souls
    #30 - 2013-02-14 15:12:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Bugsy VanHalen
    double post sorry
    RubyPorto
    RubysRhymes
    #31 - 2013-02-14 20:24:41 UTC  |  Edited by: RubyPorto
    Bugsy VanHalen wrote:
    Ok, So 500-600M was more an ideal max

So, exactly what I said.

You are not going to get a 2.3b drop (avg scanned value 4.6b) coming through a gate every 15 minutes.

If you're using multiple alts, you need to account for the cost of them as well (as in divide the payout by all accounts being used in the operation) to come up with comprable ISK/hr numbers (otherwise the Wis mining ISE is the best ISK/hr in the game).

It also takes more than 12 fleetmembers (btw, the Hauler is also on a 15 min cooldown now) to run a gank squad.

In other words you are making a ton of absolutely ridiculous assumptions (all making errors on the side of making ganking seem more profitable) in order to come up with all of your over the top "estimates."

And finally, I still never paid my ::tenbux::

Oh, and mission running income is not absolutely dependent on the idiocy of other players. You're acting like you think gankworthy freighters are spawned by NPCs.

Kzkkns r'kst
    Doomheim
    #32 - 2013-04-09 09:18:03 UTC
    Also consider maxing out mechanics, hull upgrades, spaceship command etc.

With a freighter having no module slots, that extra gain of agility and hitpoints from the core skills could mean the difference from life and death.
    Dave stark
    #33 - 2013-04-09 11:17:03 UTC
    Kzkkns r'kst wrote:
    Also consider maxing out mechanics, hull upgrades, spaceship command etc.

With a freighter having no module slots, that extra gain of agility and hitpoints from the core skills could mean the difference from life and death.

thankfully, the agility skill is becoming a prerequisite to train in to a freighter now.

then again if a few seconds off your align time, or a few thousand more ehp will save you then you're being ganked by terrible players.
    Sola Mercury
    Republic Military School
    Minmatar Republic
    #34 - 2013-04-12 14:24:44 UTC
    Bob Killan wrote:

Always use warp to zero, and if you absolutelly have to carry some high value stuff, run a few test flights with a shuttle and try to map the best route, that is the route that requires less alligning between jumps even if it takes you extra jumps. You may find that warping to a sun/planet and warping from there to the gate can break your allign time by doing half the turn to get to the planet/sun and the other half to get to th gate. This will cut down the time you're sat around as a sitting duck.

This is wrong advice.
    A ship with zero velocity needs the same space of time to enter warp for all possible directions.

I use a minmatar recon to double web my freighter. It takes like +- 5 seconds to get the freighter into warp.
    The most important stat for the webber is the webber range.
    Gizznitt Malikite
    Agony Unleashed
    Agony Empire
    #35 - 2013-04-12 16:27:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Gizznitt Malikite
    I did some statistics on Freighter Ganks in Uedama last month...

There were 50 ganks between the 3-31rst of March. 48 seemed to be suicide ganks. 4 were ganked empty (due to bad standings with goons), 4 were ganked because they had double-wrapped packages, 4 were ganked with a cargo between 0.4-3b isk.

In general, your chances of getting ganked are very slim... and if you carry under 1b isk in cargo, your chances are extremely slim (i.e.you'll have a better chance of being struck by lightening!).

With this in mind, there are a few points I suggest above and beyond the "don't be a loot pinata" rule. If you are carry a blingy load, the options below help reduce your risks:

A.) The safest means when carrying valuable cargo is to use a web-to-warp scout. You need to be traveling at 75% of max velocity to enter warp, and webbing your ship instantly reduces it's max velocity, but doesn't instantly reduce your current speed. Using 60% webs (t2 or meta 4 or various faction), 2 webs will reduce the max velocity of a freighter from ~100 m/s to ~19 m/s, and 13 m/s with 3 webs. 75% of this speed is 10 m/s, which takes only a few seconds to achieve. Carefully timing the webs allows you typically enter warp before anyone can bump you... but can be inhibited by a suicide tackler.

B.) Another method is to enter suicide gank systems in an unexpected manner. For example, if you're traveling to Amarr from Jita, you generally go through Niarja. The autopilot typically has you travel Amar -> Ashab -> Madirmilire -> Niarja. Don't jump directly from Madirmilire to Niarja... but instead go Madirmilire -> Bahroma -> Niarja. You could still get ganked in Niarja, but usually scouts don't "follow" your progress (yet), so they will generally be setup on the Madirmilire gate rather than the Bahroma gate in Niarja, Which allows you to bypass their suicide camp.

C.) Another method to use is to dock up prior to entering a suicide gank system. For example, if you're traveling jita to amarr through Niarja, set your destination to Kaaputenen and dock up there for 15 minutes or so. In general, your ship's assets are scanned earlier in the pipe so suicide gankers have time to prep an attack. They generally gank in 0.5 systems, as concord takes the longest to respond in these systems. By taking the break, they may assume you dropped off goods, or took a different route... and may write you off as a target. The longer the break, the more effective this technique works... and if truly AFK hauling (while at work, or asleep), breaking the trip into 2 parts (Part 1: Amarr -> Madirmilire, dock up/log off. Part 2: Log on, manually fly through Niarja, Autopilot to Jita), you're unlikely to be a target as no-one will have recently pre-scanned you prior to entering Niarja.
    Sola Mercury
    Republic Military School
    Minmatar Republic
    #36 - 2013-04-12 17:08:38 UTC
    Gizznitt Malikite wrote:

I did some statistics on Freighter Ganks in Uedama last month...

There were 50 ganks between the 3-31rst of March. 48 seemed to be suicide ganks. 4 were ganked empty (due to bad standings with goons), 4 were ganked because they had double-wrapped packages, 4 were ganked with a cargo between 0.4-3b isk.

In general, your chances of getting ganked are very slim... and if you carry under 1b isk in cargo, your chances are extremely slim (i.e.you'll have a better chance of being struck by lightening!).

With this in mind, there are a few points I suggest above and beyond the "don't be a loot pinata" rule. If you are carry a blingy load, the options below help reduce your risks:

A.) The safest means when carrying valuable cargo is to use a web-to-warp scout. You need to be traveling at 75% of max velocity to enter warp, and webbing your ship instantly reduces it's max velocity, but doesn't instantly reduce your max speed. Using 60% webs (t2 or meta 4 or various faction), 2 webs will reduce the max velocity of a freighter from ~100 m/s to ~19 m/s, and 13 m/s with 3 webs. 75% of this speed is 10 m/s, which takes only a few seconds to achieve. Carefully timing the webs allows you typically enter warp before anyone can bump you... but can be inhibited by a suicide tackler.

B.) Another method is to enter suicide gank systems in an unexpected manner. For example, if you're traveling to Amarr from Jita, you generally go through Niarja. The autopilot typically has you travel Amar -> Ashab -> Madirmilire -> Niarja. Don't jump directly from Madirmilire to Niarja... but instead go Madirmilire -> Bahroma -> Niarja. You could still get ganked in Niarja, but usually scouts don't "follow" your progress (yet), so they will generally be setup on the Madirmilire gate rather than the Bahroma gate in Niarja, Which allows you to bypass their suicide camp.

C.) Another method to use is to dock up prior to entering a suicide gank system. For example, if you're traveling jita to amarr through Niarja, set your destination to Kaaputenen and dock up there for 15 minutes or so. In general, your ship's assets are scanned earlier in the pipe so suicide gankers have time to prep an attack. They generally gank in 0.5 systems, as concord takes the longest to respond in these systems. By taking the break, they may assume you dropped off goods, or took a different route... and may write you off as a target. The longer the break, the more effective this technique works... and if truly AFK hauling (while at work, or asleep), breaking the trip into 2 parts (Part 1: Amarr -> Madirmilire, dock up/log off. Part 2: Log on, manually fly through Niarja, Autopilot to Jita), you're unlikely to be a target as no-one will have recently pre-scanned you prior to entering Niarja.

Listen to him!
    I wish I could articulate myself so well in english as he does.

The webbing goes like this:
    Both ships sit with gate cloak near the gate.

- I order the freighter to jump through next gate. ( Freighter starts to gain velocity )
    - I change Eve-client window and order webber to approach freighter ( Webber canceles gate cloak and is abel to target)
    - I target freighter and activate webbs ( Freighter enters war almost instantly)
    - I order Webber to align next gate and warp to it when I get noticed that webbers have been deactivated.
    - Webber jumps next gate when aggro Timer finishes.( If freighter has jumped next gate, he keeps his gate cloak, until the webber jumps in)

Derath Ellecon
    University of Caille
    Gallente Federation
    #37 - 2013-04-12 20:52:01 UTC
    Meh,

I autopilot freighter loads all the time. It is something I can easily do for 12+ hours when I'm working from home. Never had an issue. I keep my loads under ~ 1bil value. (keep in mind collateral =/= value).

If I'm going to go through the trouble of actively flying the beast with a webber alt, I'd go do one of the other far better isk/hour activities I can do.
    Bugsy VanHalen
    Society of lost Souls
    #38 - 2013-04-14 02:05:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Bugsy VanHalen
    Huttan Funaila wrote:
    Mara Rinn wrote:
    Avoid Uedama, Niarja, Sivala, Jita.

A number of the ganks along the Niarja corridor happen in Madirmilire.

If you see someone yellow boxing you at a jump gate, go park your ship in a station for a while as they've scanned your cargo and will gank you if they like the value.

I agree with this, however many gankers use a passive targeter which allows them to target you without alerting you that you are targeted. As in they can target you and scan your cargo without you ever seeing the yellow box.

As far as how often freighters get ganked. Well it has increased a lot lately. For example Uedama which seem to be a popular ganking system, in the last 6 months has often seen up to 50 freighters ganked per month. more that 6 months ago it was rare to see more than 3-4 per month. 50 freighters per month is not a huge number, but is still a 600% increase over only 6 months. If it keeps rising it will be a real problem.

perimeter used to be a big ganking system, not sure why it has dropped as it is a major choke point on route to Jita.
    Mistah Ewedynao
    Ice Axe Psycho Killers
    #39 - 2013-04-14 04:23:45 UTC
    Keep flying those freighters...

Me?

When I am doing a high value run, I jump into my crystal clone and my Hauler orca, 248k ehp and dual x-large ASB's.

Bring on the 10...or 12+ Tier 3 BC's please. Nope, I can't haul 900k m3 of cargo,but I sure can haul a bunch of billions in smaller stuff.

Never been bothered yet.

I also stay away on weekends and avoid peak player count times. Oh dark hundred is a great travel time.

Of course I have been tracking the high gank count corps and have them all set as "unfriendly" so if local looked really bad I might dock up but haven't had to yet.

If it's a really high isk haul, I bring command ship(s) with serious boosts escort..heck pushin almost 300k ehp.

If it is a "gamebreaker" load, I have suicided a couple of guys at the key gates just to get concord there.

A load of plex's is just stupid, mixing up your load (unstacking stuff so there is TONS of crap to look at) can't hurt either.

I have personally never bothered with the double wrap thing, and have hauled over 10B loads in the orca.

They are not set up for a serious defense Orca when waiting for freighter ganks

Nerf Goons

Nuke em from orbit....it's the only way to be sure.

Fhaerbaline Khent
    University of Caille
    Gallente Federation
    #40 - 2013-04-14 05:27:27 UTC
    They blow up all over NewEden every day. Haul smart, less ganks.