These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Offensive/Rude Names, Does Anyone Report Them?

First post
Author
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#101 - 2013-02-12 08:19:20 UTC
Arronicus wrote:
Turelus wrote:
"While I'm the kind of person who doesn't get offended by these names"

"I bring this up after seeing a corporation being advertised named "Window Lickers. [DWNZ]" and all I can think is yeah... that's pretty close to the line if not already over it in my mind."

Really? REALLY? It took you only one paragraph to call yourself out on your blatant lie, thus proving you ARE the sort of pansy that is offended by every little thing?

There is absolutely nothing racist, homophobic, or vulgar about the name Window Lickers. I am not only appalled, but frankly insulted, to be playing a game that advertises itself as dark, hard, cold, and adult oriented, with such a whiny little schoolmarm.

Seriously, please, just uninstall your accounts and go back to nursing your infant children, Mommy-9-1-1, before my head explodes.

I agree with this.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Garia666
CyberShield Inc
HYDRA RELOADED
#102 - 2013-02-12 08:26:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Garia666
ccp used to be very tight about names.. but not anymore..

when i started 10 years ago my 1st ceo was fidel castro.

and eventualy after 3 years some US nublet peitioned him so ccp forced him to change his name..

He refused and in the end he got an name provided by ccp them selfs.. Which was a very gay name.. probably hot in iceland.
Now you see names like insulting words and they been ingame for years now..
Goran Konjich
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#103 - 2013-02-12 08:33:24 UTC
Nerath Naaris wrote:
What´s wrong with licking windows? Lots of kids do that.

yea, i did it 2 days ago on my wife's shop window Cool

I'm a diplomat. Sometimes i throw 425mm wide briefcases at enemy. Such is EVE.

Ai Shun
#104 - 2013-02-12 08:45:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Ai Shun
March rabbit wrote:
you will understand it... some day... maybe.... when you leave your childhood in past.

Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
....more like when they leave the parent's basement, neckbeard and all.

For two people claiming to live by the rules of society and wanting to rule by the majority; you sure are offensive with your insults to other people simply for disagreeing with you.

You do know such random insults and incivility is considered rude and offensive in our society, right?

Edit: And if you understand why that is silly; you'll understand why trying to impose your view of offensive on others and claiming it's the view of "society" is so ludicrous. Taking Crumplecorn's point is a good idea :)
Signal11th
#105 - 2013-02-12 08:53:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Signal11th
Ahh the joys of EVE where you can kill,enslave,scam and generally be the scum of the known and unknown universe but god forbid you choose a name that offends someone.

One word for you ...pathetic.

Problem with the world today everyone is offended by everything, grow up get some balls or flaps (whichever is the female equivilent) and enjoy life and stop worrying about something that in reality doesn't effect you one bit apart from your self inflated sense of importance and outrage.

Really who give's a toss if you're offended? Why should it matter to me that you/someone is offended by a statement I have made?

God Said "Come Forth and receive eternal life!" I came fifth and won a toaster!

Arronicus
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#106 - 2013-02-12 09:39:24 UTC
Signal11th wrote:
Ahh the joys of EVE where you can kill,enslave,scam and generally be the scum of the known and unknown universe but god forbid you choose a name that offends someone.

One word for you ...pathetic.

Problem with the world today everyone is offended by everything, grow up get some balls or flaps (whichever is the female equivilent) and enjoy life and stop worrying about something that in reality doesn't effect you one bit apart from your self inflated sense of importance and outrage.

Really who give's a toss if you're offended? Why should it matter to me that you/someone is offended by a statement I have made?

I feel the same way. There is stuff that certainly crosses a line, ie, strong racism, and then there is stuff, that makes some angry kid with diabetes in a basement somewhere shake his hands till he accidentally knocks his computer off his desk and screams because it broke. The OP of this thread seems to be the character cited in the latter example.
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#107 - 2013-02-12 09:56:37 UTC
Ai Shun wrote:
March rabbit wrote:
you will understand it... some day... maybe.... when you leave your childhood in past.

Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
....more like when they leave the parent's basement, neckbeard and all.

For two people claiming to live by the rules of society and wanting to rule by the majority; you sure are offensive with your insults to other people simply for disagreeing with you.

You do know such random insults and incivility is considered rude and offensive in our society, right?

i'm sorry for your society then.

However it's not the end: you just wait for some time (propably 50-100 years) and you will have new one! With new improved rules and morale. Cool

(as i said already: society which doesn't defend its culture and morale will give away its place to more strong society. This is what we see already in RL)

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

SoOza N'GasZ
L F C
Ethereal Dawn
#108 - 2013-02-12 12:58:57 UTC
you guys do realize this game is about killing people how can offensive names be any worse?Lol

Legba

Piugattuk
Saiyans United
Death from Above..
#109 - 2013-02-12 13:10:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Piugattuk
Oh boy it's started...I knew Mrs. Kravitz would stick the nosey nose in now we got the everything offensive "TO ME" crowd growing what's next? Stay tuned.
Klymer
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#110 - 2013-02-12 14:29:02 UTC
I reported an afk cloaker for an 'offensive' corp name and got it changed. Had he been some random pilot I had come across in my daily travels I wouldn't have bothered and would've probably even complimented him on the cleverness of the name. But since he was just cloaking and wouldn't fight, I figured a smack upside the head with the rule book was better than nothing. I had, and still have, him in my contacts and he closed that corp about a week after the name change and joined a new one. So while he didn't get any kills on us and we were never able to kill him, I was able to inflict a small isk loss on him as a result of the corp abandonment and perhaps a bit of grief as well over the loss of his clever name.

Rico Minali
Sons Of 0din
#111 - 2013-02-13 18:52:51 UTC
March rabbit wrote:
Rico Minali wrote:
Lets hope not, this is a game geared towards adults after all.

what i always find funny is: children think that using "colorful" language, smoking cigarette or drinking beer makes them look like adults.... in my 34 i see quite the opposite situation: very small part of adults use these "attributes of adult". It mostly shows that person is "bottom class citizen".

to the topic: i always report offending names and BIOs. It's not that i get offended because of it. But if you don't wash yourself you will not become more clear. You will just collect more dirt. The same can be said about community. Some rules and culture MUST BE cultivated unless we want to become monkeys.

You see I am cut from a somewhat different cloth. I let people be the people they are, I dont expect them to pretend to be something else for the sake of my sensibilities. Whilst I dont use offensive language or smacktalk, I dont have a juvenile rude name or anything else, I see it as other peoples freedom to do so if they wish.

This is a game, I am 40 years old, am married and have three children, I am here to enjoy my game not to try and tell other people how to enjoy theirs. If people want to act like virgin teenagers, then they should be free to do so. Most people use what they consider to be terribly insulting terms in complete ignorance and with little regard for what it may mean. I have a younger brother with downs syndrome, I do not however get offended by people using the term as derogitory, it merely shows an ignorance of the real world. I can only hope that the people who use these terms as insults are lucky enough to not be affected by such things in the future, after all, none of us know how our children (except for you neckbeards that think women are a godly race of unearthly beings and will never touch one, so wont be affected) will turn out. Any single one of us could wake up tomorrow mental health issue, or a disability, a fall, a stroke, a car accident is all it takes.I have seen it all as I work in the care sector.

We all feel that we are invulnerable, that we will always be healthy and so will our children. The world is not so kind.

Let people use whatever they see as funny, and hope that they never look back and feel very, very small when they realise the aweful truth.

Trust me, I almost know what I'm doing.

Palovana
Inner Fire Inc.
#112 - 2013-02-13 21:49:19 UTC
People who find they are continually offended by others, would do well to work on their defense, not whine to the refs.
Glathull
Warlock Assassins
#113 - 2013-02-13 22:12:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Glathull
Arronicus wrote:
Turelus wrote:
"While I'm the kind of person who doesn't get offended by these names"

"I bring this up after seeing a corporation being advertised named "Window Lickers. [DWNZ]" and all I can think is yeah... that's pretty close to the line if not already over it in my mind."

Really? REALLY? It took you only one paragraph to call yourself out on your blatant lie, thus proving you ARE the sort of pansy that is offended by every little thing?

There is absolutely nothing racist, homophobic, or vulgar about the name Window Lickers. I am not only appalled, but frankly insulted, to be playing a game that advertises itself as dark, hard, cold, and adult oriented, with such a whiny little schoolmarm.

Seriously, please, just uninstall your accounts and go back to nursing your infant children, Mommy-9-1-1, before my head explodes.

It's a reference to kids with Down syndrome, you dolt. Down is touchy for people who have close personal experience with it. My nephew was born recently with a great deal of difficulty. After a very challenging first month of life on all kinds of machines with only a slim chance of survival, the doctors suddenly discovered that he also has Down syndrome.

It's tough realizing that your brother's first son is never going to grow up into a normal adult and hang around with you on the porch and drink beer and tell jokes in the same way that all your other nieces and nephews will some day. It a lot worse for my brother who has to deal with all those things about his son.

People get really touchy about things like that. And I can see why.

But personally, I don't give a rat's a**, and I wouldn't ban the name or report the corp. I still make 'tard jokes, and call people ugly names for slow people. Because I'm a f****** adult, and I can separate a game from my real life.

Calling yourself or someone else some thing doesn't make it true. The only thing that would make me angry is if someone made fun of my nephew for being a Down syndrome kid. That's not his fault.

I honestly feel like I just read fifty shades of dumb. --CCP Falcon

Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#114 - 2013-02-13 23:10:42 UTC
I don't it's a waste of my time and everyone else's. Filing a petition that probably won't do anything only makes the waiting time for people with actual problems longer. Plus, I find the vast majority of these "offensive" names rather funny. Even if someone's name is offensive to me I probably won't report it anyway.

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Acac Sunflyier
The Dysfunctionals
Goonswarm Federation
#115 - 2013-02-13 23:14:02 UTC
Rico Minali wrote:
Lets hope not, this is a game geared towards adults after all.

Adults wouldn't name their character Anal ****
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#116 - 2013-02-13 23:23:43 UTC
In WoW, I had a bank alt I'd mail stuff to, named Anorexia, as she was a skinny human mage. Apparently that was offensive to someone, as I had to change it.

What is offensive can be quite subjective. I pity the GM staff.
Vin King
State War Academy
Caldari State
#117 - 2013-02-13 23:31:44 UTC
I think OP is just feeling a bit down today.

Proud member of the New Order of HighSec