These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Does anyone think the male portraits turn out so much better than the female ones?

First post
Author
Angelique Duchemin
Team Evil
#121 - 2013-02-13 04:16:40 UTC
Dersen Lowery wrote:
The aviators don't really help.

That brings up another point. Why are there not any non-douchebag glasses in this game?

It's either wrap -arounds or pilot shades and they are all sunglasses. Why are there no regular glasses at all? How much work could that have been? To add regular transparent glass. Throw in a pair of Gordon Freeeman glasses in there too. They'd look great on some Deteis and Gallente for sure.

The very sun of heaven seemed distorted when viewed through the polarising miasma welling out from this sea-soaked perversion, and twisted menace and suspense lurked leeringly in those crazily elusive angles of carven rock where a second glance shewed concavity after the first shewed convexity.

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#122 - 2013-02-13 07:35:23 UTC
Angelique Duchemin wrote:
Dersen Lowery wrote:

That brings up another point. Why are there not any non-douchebag glasses in this game?

It's either wrap -arounds or pilot shades and they are all sunglasses. Why are there no regular glasses at all? How much work could that have been? To add regular transparent glass. Throw in a pair of Gordon Freeeman glasses in there too. They'd look great on some Deteis and Gallente for sure.

There's a technical conflict there. IRL, eyelashes collide with the glasses, but implementing such collision detection in the creator would be troublesome and so the eyelashes are removed when the character is wearing glasses. That looks weird when the glasses are transparent (there was a bug that failed to render the lenses and only would render the frame, and it really didn't look natural). The opposite, without collision detection and eyelashes, makes the eyelashes ricochet de glasses, and that's even weirder...

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Col Arran
Doomheim
#123 - 2013-02-13 08:05:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Col Arran
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
there was a bug that failed to render the lenses and only would render the frame, and it really didn't look natural

I want those hipster glasses

Dersen Lowery wrote:

You know I happen to like the way aviators look and not in the typical douchebaggery way. I mean we are all pilots in one sense of the title.
Angelique Duchemin
Team Evil
#124 - 2013-02-13 16:54:28 UTC
Col Arran wrote:
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
there was a bug that failed to render the lenses and only would render the frame, and it really didn't look natural

I want those hipster glasses

Dersen Lowery wrote:

You know I happen to like the way aviators look and not in the typical douchebaggery way. I mean we are all pilots in one sense of the title.

And you can certainly pull it off. But me personally. I really like eyes.

The eyes are the most attractive and interesting physical attribute of a person and therefore I consider sunglasses such a waste. It takes away what I appreciate the most and leaves the face a blank husk. No depth, no emotion.

The very sun of heaven seemed distorted when viewed through the polarising miasma welling out from this sea-soaked perversion, and twisted menace and suspense lurked leeringly in those crazily elusive angles of carven rock where a second glance shewed concavity after the first shewed convexity.

Dessau
The Scope
#125 - 2013-02-13 19:08:42 UTC
As clones of 'evolved' humans, shouldn't characters look a little weird anyway, regardless of gender? I found the charm of the old avatars was in the exaggerated features.

I agree though, OP. Male avatar faces tend to have more personality.
Sunrise Aigele
Pemberley Enterprises
#126 - 2013-02-13 19:31:45 UTC
Angelique, I love your portrait. It's pensive and Hellenistic. It took me a long time to get something I was comfortable with. I didn't help matters by choosing a complicated face to work with in the first place! >.<

Most of the expressions I can get on Sunrise are haughty or arrogant. After struggling and struggling I finally embraced that. It's just her.
Angelique Duchemin
Team Evil
#127 - 2013-02-13 20:33:33 UTC
Sunrise Aigele wrote:
Angelique, I love your portrait. It's pensive and Hellenistic. It took me a long time to get something I was comfortable with. I didn't help matters by choosing a complicated face to work with in the first place! >.<

Most of the expressions I can get on Sunrise are haughty or arrogant. After struggling and struggling I finally embraced that. It's just her.

Aw thanks I couldn't be happier with the current portrait. It started out looking terrible and I did 2 resculpts within the first day of playing but then I got it right.

Sunrise looks great.

Dyjal'Ryn
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#128 - 2013-02-13 20:33:39 UTC
I think female portraits just require more time.
Personally, I think my portrait looks great.
Draakon Hullu
Perkone
Caldari State
#129 - 2013-02-13 20:48:31 UTC
Sexy and i know it
Angelic Constance
Xevera
#130 - 2013-02-13 20:58:42 UTC
I too would like more options.

It might be kinda fun to also have "limited" options that cycle, or just come around once. This creates unique characters that also have some worth to them as well. Most in the sense that as the same as Fanfest or other events, it would be nice just to have some randomized things every month, or even year.

The base ones are fine... but options are always cool... and tbh barbers should know how to cut more then 10-20 styles :P
Wescro2
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#131 - 2013-02-13 23:05:25 UTC
You don't need a fancy haircut to look sexy.
Lord Okinaba
Aliastra
#132 - 2013-02-14 01:20:48 UTC
The female characters look like porcelain most of the time. They never look aged or naturally weathered. I want to see female toons like Zelda from the Terahawks.
Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#133 - 2013-02-14 01:24:23 UTC
Lord Okinaba wrote:
The female characters look like porcelain most of the time. They never look aged or naturally weathered. I want to see female toons like Zelda from the Terahawks.

we're clones.

you have to get old to look aged and weathered. most of us in EvE die periodically. so we are stuck in a stage or perpetual youth...or however you first created your toon.
Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#134 - 2013-02-14 01:34:52 UTC
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
Lord Okinaba wrote:

we're clones.

you have to get old to look aged and weathered. most of us in EvE die periodically. so we are stuck in a stage or perpetual youth...or however you first created your toon.

Did you just call me *young* ?
Lord Okinaba
Aliastra
#135 - 2013-02-14 01:35:32 UTC
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
Lord Okinaba wrote:

we're clones.

Evidently not everyone gets cloned when theyre young, as we have old male toons.
Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#136 - 2013-02-14 01:38:50 UTC
I was always quite pleased with the way this avatar came out. Female characters however, always seem to come out looking fake or like a doll.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Leela LaRue
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#137 - 2013-02-14 01:50:04 UTC
Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#138 - 2013-02-14 01:57:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Eurydia Vespasian
Abrazzar wrote:
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
Lord Okinaba wrote:

we're clones.

Did you just call me *young* ?

=)

you fall under the "however" category. the point being you are stuck at the stage you got cloned at.
Melody Cadelanne
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#139 - 2013-02-14 02:28:03 UTC
I'd venture to say that female portraits just take longer to make them look well. I'm pleased with my result. My alt, which is a male, was a lot easier to sculpt and take a portrait for. But this character took at least twice as long to make.
Awngrid Butimmune
Doomheim
#140 - 2013-02-14 04:48:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Awngrid Butimmune
But you really can't make a male portrait as young as I look. Jail bait! P

Rebel rebel

edit - which also reminds me about another axis in the character creator. Why are the amarr all so old looking and the Minmatar able to create young uns like me?