These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Navy Dominix destroyed...entering the world of PVP and low/null sec

Author
Florin Pelecaci
Doomheim
#1 - 2011-10-26 11:34:35 UTC
So yesterday, I decided to go for a cigarette whilst in my mission with my navy domi. Long story short...it got destroyed due to my stupidness of not cilcking properly on my LAR II and hardners (oops).

Not that bothered really, I should be because it cost me 700 mill for the ship and faction fits, but meh.

Gives me a chance to do something I've been wanted to do for ages! Explore in low sec and null sec. Being a bit of a carebear I have no idea what to do. All of my time has been spent missioning in high sec and have no immediate desire to go back to that. Do I hunt down sites? Go ratting? what is profitable?

So what I'd like to do is, bit of exploration, see the universe that is Eden and maybe engage in a bit of PVP whilst I'm out there. The main problem I have is that I have no idea what ship I should be flying for this?
Do I go for a small fast frigate? Do I invest in another domi?

I'm needing advice on what to fly. Money is not a problem, if I need to I'll just sell a plex.

I can fly anything up to a BS, mainly drone skills. If someone can tell me how to post my skills on here then I gladly will if it helps people.

Florin
Caulk H0lster
Kazakh Ministry of Wealth Redistribution
#2 - 2011-10-26 11:39:18 UTC
Find a lowsec or 0.0 corp, join them, ask them.
Florin Pelecaci
Doomheim
#3 - 2011-10-26 11:43:17 UTC
Caulk H0lster wrote:

I don't really want to leave my corporation, I am the CEO and I like my corp. I will just be taking an extended vacation for a while Big smile
Alara IonStorm
#4 - 2011-10-26 11:43:51 UTC
For PvP a Shield Nano Cane is always good for a beginner. Stealth Bomber is better for getting around but hard to fight in.

For Exploration a Cloaky T3 for Complexes or a Tier 2 and a Cov Ops Scan Alt.

The best thing you can do is join a Corp who does this sort of stuff.
Wacktopia
Fleet-Up.com
Keep It Simple Software Group
#5 - 2011-10-26 11:47:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Wacktopia
Florin Pelecaci wrote:
Caulk H0lster wrote:

I don't really want to leave my corporation, I am the CEO and I like my corp. I will just be taking an extended vacation for a while Big smile

Create an alt on your account, make them CEO, leave and join a 0.0 corp, learn how to explore and PvP.

If you try to set out on your own you will learn very slowly, die A LOT, and get complacent quickly because you will not understand a whole load of stuff and will probably end up back here shedding tears all over the show.

Yeah if you can sell plex for ISK that's cool but you might end up getting butthurt after you start shedding billions learning the hard way.

Kitchen sink? Seriousy, get your ship together -  Fleet-Up.com

David Grogan
NerdHerd
#6 - 2011-10-26 11:47:01 UTC
Florin Pelecaci wrote:
So yesterday, I decided to go for a cigarette whilst in my mission with my navy domi. Long story short...it got destroyed

they do tell you smoking kills on the packet!!!!

Everytime you buy something that says "made in china" you are helping the rising unemployment in your own country unless you are from china, Buy locally produced goods and help create more jobs.

JC Anderson
RED ROSE THORN
#7 - 2011-10-26 11:47:35 UTC  |  Edited by: JC Anderson
Cane, or even just go out in a rifter to get your feet wet.

Anything that wouldn't really bother you much iskwise if it was lost.

And no, DONT go out in a battleship.
Florin Pelecaci
Doomheim
#8 - 2011-10-26 11:47:49 UTC
Alara IonStorm wrote:
For PvP a Shield Nano Cane is always good for a beginner. Stealth Bomber is better for getting around but hard to fight in.

Hmmm, a cloaky ship....I like that idea, I have an alt as well but not many SP (600k) I could get him as a salvager for complexes I suppose. I think I recall seeing a cloaking skill, might have to put the drone interfacing 5 on hold and start training for that.

Can all ships fit cloaks? Or is there a preferable one to use?
Florin Pelecaci
Doomheim
#9 - 2011-10-26 11:49:58 UTC
Wacktopia wrote:
Florin Pelecaci wrote:
Caulk H0lster wrote:

Create an alt on your account, make them CEO, leave and join a 0.0 corp, learn how to explore and PvP.

If you try to set out on your own you will learn very slowly, die A LOT, and get complacent quickly because you will not understand a whole load of stuff and will probably end up back hear shedding tears all over the show.

Yeah if you can sell plex for ISK that's cool but you might end up getting butthurt after you start shedding billions learning the hard way.

Haha, nobody will ever hear me shedding tears on here. it's a game and I treat it as such. My brother is a director so I could leave him in charge for a while and join back later.

I think a null-sec corp is going to be the way to go. How do I even go about getting in to one? Don't they require x amount of SP. I have about 4 million.
Jooce McNasty
Islefive Consulting
#10 - 2011-10-26 11:50:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Jooce McNasty
Florin Pelecaci wrote:
So yesterday, I decided to go for a cigarette whilst in my mission with my navy domi. Long story short...it got destroyed due to my stupidness of not cilcking properly on my LAR II and hardners (oops).

Not that bothered really, I should be because it cost me 700 mill for the ship and faction fits, but meh.

Gives me a chance to do something I've been wanted to do for ages! Explore in low sec and null sec. Being a bit of a carebear I have no idea what to do. All of my time has been spent missioning in high sec and have no immediate desire to go back to that. Do I hunt down sites? Go ratting? what is profitable?

So what I'd like to do is, bit of exploration, see the universe that is Eden and maybe engage in a bit of PVP whilst I'm out there. The main problem I have is that I have no idea what ship I should be flying for this?
Do I go for a small fast frigate? Do I invest in another domi?

I'm needing advice on what to fly. Money is not a problem, if I need to I'll just sell a plex.

I can fly anything up to a BS, mainly drone skills. If someone can tell me how to post my skills on here then I gladly will if it helps people.

Florin

1 word Rifter...

if you cannot fly that then

Ares/Tanaris

maybe a Ishkur

Fit them, Fly them, Loose them. Learn PVP.
JC Anderson
RED ROSE THORN
#11 - 2011-10-26 11:51:45 UTC  |  Edited by: JC Anderson
Florin Pelecaci wrote:
Alara IonStorm wrote:

Hmmm, a cloaky ship....I like that idea, I have an alt as well but not many SP (600k) I could get him as a salvager for complexes I suppose. I think I recall seeing a cloaking skill, might have to put the drone interfacing 5 on hold and start training for that.

Covert Ops cloaking devices allow you to warp cloak and can only be fit on specialized ships such as Stealth Bombers, Black Ops, and one of the recon ships for each race.

Any ships can fit the standard cloaking devices, but you cannot warp cloak and there are quite a few drawbacks to having one fit. (More than just the fitting requirements)

http://www.eve-wiki.net/index.php?title=Cloaking_device

If your hell bent on getting into a cloaky FAST, then stealth bombers would be the quickest to train into.
JC Anderson
RED ROSE THORN
#12 - 2011-10-26 11:52:37 UTC  |  Edited by: JC Anderson
Jooce McNasty wrote:

1 word Rifter...

Though, Jooce also mentioned the Taranis, I wouldn't advise it.

But only because it is NOT an easy ship to learn in.
I Love Boobies
All Hail Boobies
#13 - 2011-10-26 11:57:51 UTC
Florin Pelecaci wrote:
Alara IonStorm wrote:

As far as I know, all ships can fit a cloak. But there are some that can fit the covert ops cloaking device which lets you warp while cloaked and so on. Cloaks on regular ships won't allow you to warp, just sit there and hide. T3s with the right subsystems, Covert Ops frigates, and recon ships get you the cloaking with the ability to move around. If you get good at it in one of those, you can fly around without ever being seen. Lol

There are a couple of drawbacks to adding a cloak to ship that doesn't have a cloak bonus. First is you have a targeting delay after decloaking, meaning it takes you longer to target something. Then you cannot cloak again for a set amount of time, I think it's like 30 seconds or something like that. Unless it has changed, haven't flown a standard ship with a cloak on it for a long time. I suggest you explore the options and figure out which best suits your needs. I would think it is going the T3 route to be honest. Smile

Also, some of the frigs and T3s get scan bonuses, depending on how you set them up.
Caulk H0lster
#14 - 2011-10-26 11:58:02 UTC
You realize that EVERYBODY is going to be trying to kill you in 0.0 if you don't have a corp (who is in an alliance, who has allies), right?

You realize your chances of even getting into 0.0, having never been there before, and knowing nothing other than running highsec missions is pretty unlikely, right?

Here's how this is gonna play out, assuming you're going for the "I'm gonna do this all alone" approach:

1. You're going to arrive at the highsec to 0.0 entry gate in some crappy battleship or something.

2. You're going to jump in, and there will be 8-10 large tech 2 bubbles anchored on the gate, and about 20 dudes orbiting the gate.

3. You decloak, and it doesn't matter now whether you try to escape the bubbles or burn back to the gate, you're going to get warp scrambled and webbed, and then your ship is going to get blown up and you are going to be podded.

4. You will then declare how terrible 0.0 and PvP are, and return to running level 4 missions, never leaving the safety of highsec again.

5. If you somehow manage to skip steps 2 and 3, I predict you will find an anomoly or plex somewhere, and promptly get blown up and podded by a roaming gang of Dramiels or something equally lame.

People with zero combat experience just don't take SUCCESSFUL little jaunts into 0.0. I have close to 5 years of PvP experience and over 5000 kills to my name, and quite frankly, I quite enjoy ganking innocent people like yourself. So, if you don't wanna be the butt of some BITTERVETS jokes about how terrible your fitting is after we gank you, then GO FIND A CORP TO JOIN WHO WILL TEACH YOU HOW TO PVP.

Also, allow me to welcome you to the real game of EVE: PvP.
Jooce McNasty
Islefive Consulting
#15 - 2011-10-26 11:59:34 UTC
JC Anderson wrote:
Jooce McNasty wrote:

1 word Rifter...

Though, Jooce also mentioned the Taranis, I wouldn't advise it.

But only because it is NOT an easy ship to learn in.

Ya I don't fly Galente and could not remember which of their interceptors is really good.
Caulk H0lster
#16 - 2011-10-26 12:02:31 UTC
Also, if you fly gallente, even if you can fly T2 frigates, go train up Minmatar frigates and guns and get a rifter.

Seriously, the only good T2 gallente frigate is the ishkur, and even an ishkur will get owned quite easily.

Other than that, a well fit rifter is probably going to win a straight-up fight against any of the other gallente frigs, and it's also considerably cheaper than a T2 hull.
Florin Pelecaci
Doomheim
#17 - 2011-10-26 12:11:15 UTC
Caulk H0lster wrote:
You realize that EVERYBODY is going to be trying to kill you in 0.0 if you don't have a corp (who is in an alliance, who has allies), right?

You realize your chances of even getting into 0.0, having never been there before, and knowing nothing other than running highsec missions is pretty unlikely, right?

Here's how this is gonna play out, assuming you're going for the "I'm gonna do this all alone" approach:

1. You're going to arrive at the highsec to 0.0 entry gate in some crappy battleship or something.

2. You're going to jump in, and there will be 8-10 large tech 2 bubbles anchored on the gate, and about 20 dudes orbiting the gate.

3. You decloak, and it doesn't matter now whether you try to escape the bubbles or burn back to the gate, you're going to get warp scrambled and webbed, and then your ship is going to get blown up and you are going to be podded.

4. You will then declare how terrible 0.0 and PvP are, and return to running level 4 missions, never leaving the safety of highsec again.

5. If you somehow manage to skip steps 2 and 3, I predict you will find an anomoly or plex somewhere, and promptly get blown up and podded by a roaming gang of Dramiels or something equally lame.

People with zero combat experience just don't take SUCCESSFUL little jaunts into 0.0. I have close to 5 years of PvP experience and over 5000 kills to my name, and quite frankly, I quite enjoy ganking innocent people like yourself. So, if you don't wanna be the butt of some BITTERVETS jokes about how terrible your fitting is after we gank you, then GO FIND A CORP TO JOIN WHO WILL TEACH YOU HOW TO PVP.

Also, allow me to welcome you to the real game of EVE: PvP.

Point understood and taken Caulk Big smile
I WILL leave my corp and join a null sec one. I just need to find one who will take an unexperienced '4m SP pvp noob' like me and is willing me to train me.
Michael Turate
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2011-10-26 12:21:27 UTC
Good advice here and it's positive to see you have the right attitude and you are ready to get your feet wet, that alone is a more important than SP when you go looking for a corp. Have a look in the Corp recruitment section or even post there yourself with details of what you are looking for and go from there.

The rifter advice is solid, it's the best place to start and you will feel that you are flying a ship that has a genuine chance against other frigs. In terms of gallente frig progression, the ishkur is a good one to look at as it gives you some PVE/isk making options as well as strong PVP options but the taranis is also a great ship to work towards as it is currently cheap as chips. It is more complicated to fly than some others but can give most frig hulls out there a bad day if you get it right.

Best of luck!
Ejit
STD contractors
#19 - 2011-10-26 13:23:24 UTC
So you warped to a mission, took aggro, then decided to go for a smoke without giving any thought to activating hards/reps or the very obvious, warp out!

Well hell son I'll sign you up. We're always on the lookout for awesome new corpies, especially players like yourself who are clearly a cut above the rest...Lol
Rhinanna
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2011-10-26 13:35:21 UTC
Try The Volition Cult
Very friendly to newer players and always willing to help.
Mostly very nice players there as well and based in NPC null currently.

http://www.eve-volt.net/

-The sword is only as sharp as the one who wields it! Other names: Drenzul (WoT, WoW, Lineage 2, WarH, BloodBowl, BSG, SC2 and lots more) 

12Next page