These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Miner Bumping

First post
Author
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#21 - 2013-02-10 10:05:02 UTC
another thread demanding that npcs fight all of your battles for free, and nobody is surprised

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Aramatheia
Tiffany and Co.
#22 - 2013-02-10 10:24:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Aramatheia
RubyPorto wrote:
That would result in either:
1) Concord Ganking Freighters in Jita or
2) Ganking frieghters around Jita with no Concord intervention.

Simply park a Freighter in front of the undock or at the warp-in to a gate, and watch people go flashy as they bump you.

Alternatively, take a Stabber and bump a large group of Mackinaws into each other and watch as they all bump each other and go flashy.

tl;dr No. This is not a new idea. This idea is just as idiotic now as it was every other time it was presented.

if only it was viable to have deep space collision mechanics, such as warp range from a station or a gate (ie anything further than 150km). But its already been said that realistic collision modeling has been tried and dismissed in eve.

I still reckon watching a mwd stabber exploding on the side of a tanked hulk would be amazing!
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#23 - 2013-02-10 10:26:52 UTC
Read what the GMs said about it and shut ...

... the HELL ...

... up !
Aren Madigan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2013-02-10 10:27:34 UTC
While I do see the problem with bumping being able to be used as an act of aggression that can't be retaliated against "legally" (as in by in game law), there really isn't a fix to it that won't be abused to hell. Just gotta prepare countermeasures until this stops being a source of entertainment for whoever is funding these cornballs or have a mission alt in the area at all times, ready to blast the gank squad that wants to trash your miner. Sorry AFKers, you're screwed (actually, I'm not that sorry, be at the computer at least with a second monitor or something)
Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#25 - 2013-02-10 10:31:18 UTC
Isn't bumping without further purpose and if done repeatedly considered harassment that can be petitioned?
Aren Madigan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2013-02-10 10:35:43 UTC
Abrazzar wrote:
Isn't bumping without further purpose and if done repeatedly considered harassment that can be petitioned?

Depending... like I'm pretty sure if you bump someone to prevent warp or them doing anything for half hour or something with no other purpose in mind, and they can't do anything for some reason, that falls pretty hard under harassment. Otherwise, if its to delay them for a short period until a gank squad shows up or to just try to extort them briefly before ganking if they refuse? Then its accepted.
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#27 - 2013-02-10 10:35:44 UTC
Abrazzar wrote:

Solstice Project wrote:
Read what the GMs said about it and shut ...

... the HELL ...

... up !

It's in Crimes & Punishment.
Go look it up yourself !

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#28 - 2013-02-10 10:38:32 UTC  |  Edited by: RubyPorto
Aramatheia wrote:
I still reckon watching a mwd stabber exploding on the side of a tanked hulk would be amazing!

Why would you think that would happen?

The Hulk's 40 million kg is quite a bit less than the Stabber's 60m kg, and (with a slight alteration in fit), the Stabber will have more EHP than the Hulk. So you'd end up with the Hulk get quite simply creamed by the Stabber coming through.

In the following educational video, representing the consequences of your proposed mechanic, the Hulk is represented by a standard Semi-Truck and the Bump ship is represented by a Freight train. Enjoy.

*NB: No injuries were reported as a result of the incident depicted in the video.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Aren Madigan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2013-02-10 10:42:31 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:
Aramatheia wrote:

The Hulk's 40 million kg is quite a bit less than the Stabber's 60m kg, and (with a slight alteration in fit), the Stabber will have more EHP than the Hulk. So you'd end up with the Hulk get quite simply creamed by the Stabber coming through.

In the following educational video, representing the consequences of your proposed mechanic, the Hulk is represented by a standard Semi-Truck and the Bump ship is represented by a Freight train. Enjoy.

*NB: No injuries were reported as a result of the incident depicted in the video.

While I'm sure the Hulk would get the worst of it by those numbers, its not quite as extreme as you represent it.... the Stabber would be pretty well trashed too by the impact, but the Hulk would be totaled, yeah. Also, Solstice, chill, you'll give yourself an aneurism by taking things too seriously like this.
Mhax Arthie
Doomheim
#30 - 2013-02-10 10:43:06 UTC
I'm a bit offtopic on this, but I swear.. I would invest in James business if they could figure out a way to apply the code on those mofo Jita spam bots. I can't believe that CCP is allowing so many bots in this game without giving us the tools us to fight them. At least we should be able to report them! Seriously, this is one of the main reason I want WiS, so I can grab my BFG and boomheadshoot all those fokin bots :S
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#31 - 2013-02-10 11:00:17 UTC  |  Edited by: RubyPorto
Aren Madigan wrote:
RubyPorto wrote:
Aramatheia wrote:

While I'm sure the Hulk would get the worst of it by those numbers, its not quite as extreme as you represent it.... the Stabber would be pretty well trashed too by the impact, but the Hulk would be totaled, yeah. Also, Solstice, chill, you'll give yourself an aneurism by taking things too seriously like this.

Then the bumpers switch to bump Machariels. More than enough EHP to survive any collision and to do enough damage to result in making that Hulk look like that Truck.

6,000m/s, ~140m kg, and over 100k EHP. And, of course, since CONCORD can't be set to get involved (for reasons detailed earlier), we'd get some strange Spider-Tanked bump-gank Machariel squads ganking all the Freighters in addition to all the Hulks and Orcas, and Retrievers (oh my).

Mind you, I think this would be an absolute riot to see implemented. A lot of the mechanics suggestions that HS Miners and the like tend to suggest would tend to be riotously funny while they did absolutely horrible things to the game.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Herr Wilkus
Aggressive Salvage Services LLC
#32 - 2013-02-10 11:03:25 UTC
.......did someone say "miner bumping??????????????????????????"
Aren Madigan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2013-02-10 11:07:12 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:

Then the bumpers switch to bump Machariels. More than enough EHP to survive any collision and to do enough damage to result in making that Hulk look like that Truck.

6,000m/s, ~140m kg, and over 100k EHP. And, of course, since CONCORD can't be set to get involved (for reasons detailed earlier), we'd get some strange Spider-Tanked bump-gank Machariel squads ganking all the Freighters in addition to all the Hulks and Orcas, and Retrievers (oh my).

Mind you, I think this would be an absolute riot to see implemented. A lot of the mechanics suggestions that HS Miners and the like tend to suggest would tend to be riotously funny while they did absolutely horrible things to the game.[/quote]
How the heck do you get a Machariel to 6,000 m/s? 0.o
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#34 - 2013-02-10 11:18:43 UTC  |  Edited by: RubyPorto
Aren Madigan wrote:
How the heck do you get a Machariel to 6,000 m/s? 0.o

Snakes, Overdrives, a Gist X-Type MWD, Quafe Zero, and a Loki booster. I guess it only maxes out at ~5400m/s. (5200m/s with decent tanky/RR fit for the new damage bumping).

It is HS. You're pretty unlikely to get ganked, and a Machariel would be fairly hard to gank.

Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
#35 - 2013-02-10 11:57:03 UTC
Karl Hobb wrote:
A more likely scenario is that, even if the bumper went red, the miner would do nothing because that's all they want to do in EVE anyway.

More or less this. Actually they do something. They turn out to be pretty competitive at the keyboard, when they finally realize that they got bumped out of range. I couldn't really believe all this until I went to some of those systems the New Order visits and watched the show myself. It's hilarious.

Sadly they use their keyboard only to trash local instead of playing the game.

Remove standings and insurance.

Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#36 - 2013-02-10 12:37:53 UTC
Sariah Kion wrote:
Whats funny about this whole thing is that this is a bunch a bored goons at the helm of this "movement". Says a lot about what has happened to null under their guidance.

Irony.

I actually have not seen many threads or posts from Goons saying that they are bored. Tons and Tons of posts by highsec players who are very concerned about Goons having something to do out in the dark cold depths of space.
Belaz Purvanen
Doomheim
#37 - 2013-02-10 12:38:55 UTC
I'm not afk mining and I'm not interested in having Concord fight for me.

I'm interested in fighting back.

Just another carebear gone bad....
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#38 - 2013-02-10 13:33:45 UTC
Belaz Purvanen wrote:

So do it.

[Thrasher, Suicide Thrasher Cheap]

Cross-Lateral Gyrostabilizer I

J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I
X5 Prototype Engine Enervator

200mm Light Carbine Repeating Cannon I, Republic Fleet EMP S
[Empty High slot]

Small Projectile Burst Aerator I
Small Projectile Collision Accelerator I
[Empty Rig slot]

Belaz Purvanen
Doomheim
#39 - 2013-02-10 14:58:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Belaz Purvanen
RubyPorto wrote:
Belaz Purvanen wrote:

So do it.

J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I

[Empty High slot]

Small Projectile Burst Aerator I
Small Projectile Collision Accelerator I
[Empty Rig slot]

ha ha and get concorded?

I don't think so...
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#40 - 2013-02-10 15:05:05 UTC
Belaz Purvanen wrote:
RubyPorto wrote:

So do it.

ha ha and get concorded?

I don't think so...

There's a reason it's cheap.

Otherwise move out of Highsec so that CONCORD can't interfere.
CONCORD's shield extends in both directions. You choose to live under it, you get to deal with fighting other people who live under it.

Previous page123Next page