These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Themepark Eve

Author
Mr Kidd
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2013-02-07 22:10:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Kidd
Mr Pragmatic wrote:
Most people know the difference between a theme park and a sandbox. A few things to discuss.

1) Is it possible to have a theme park and sandbox in the same mmo?

2)How would eve be able to accomplish a theme park style of play?

Many moons ago, in a place very much like Hoth, some programmers attempted this. After years of anticipation and many tens of thousands of man hours to the detriment of their own clients they produced.........a closet and a door! Apparently, it was more effort than they thought it would be just to program the physical parameters. Functionality was lacking. Oh, there was a mirror and a catwalk but nothing else. The door just beeped at you. Even the mirror was so poorly placed that it was dysfunctional. All in all, it received lots of feedback....all bad. Not only was everyone PO'd that their game was being put on hold for 18mos for a closet and door but it also required a cray supercomputer to render more than 30fps for what in effect was a 10' x 8' (that's 3m x 2.5m for you metric fans) jail cell.

So, to answer your questions. Maybe and noone knows.

Quote:

3)If the theme park element was extremely difficult, would it be acceptable to bitter vets?

Vets won't care if it's not a detriment to the game. That CCP attempted to themepark the game putting space ship pewpew on old for 18mos and added a MT store while accidentally let slipping that they were also wanting to more to MT for advantage pretty much sealed the idea shut never to be approached for the foreseeable future.

Quote:

4)Passive skill generation is good, but it doesn't reward constant playing. would there be a
way to incorporate a hybrid system of passive skill generation and active skill generation.

Your reward is a second job and a paycheck in isk. Congrats!

Quote:

5)For be a social game there is not a whole lot of socializing, or getting together in fleets.

6)Would it be nice for players to set different types of corporations. Not vanilla corporation that
attempt to specialize in something. IE Mining corp get more mining yield, PVP corps do more damage.

If you're not socializing in this game you're not really playing it. I load up the client just to socialize sometimes.

As for different types of corps, there are different types of corps. Mining corps generally get more yield because their training is focused in mining whereas a pewpew corp gets more dps because that's where their training is focused.

Don't ban me, bro!

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#22 - 2013-02-07 23:01:20 UTC
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
running around killing bears

Gaining skill for killing carebears.

I'd love to see that !
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#23 - 2013-02-07 23:04:34 UTC

Confirming that EVE needs a little amusment park style planet where you throw beer steins at grotty little dwarves that tunnel up through the floor to ruin your fun -- and there had better be some L33T gear for me to beat my throbbing Epeen with in front of all my unemployed neckbeard friends -- or I'll ragequit. Roll

So there. Blink

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#24 - 2013-02-07 23:07:40 UTC
if you didn't scam some idiot out of all of his belongings within a week of starting eve i don't want to speak to you

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#25 - 2013-02-07 23:10:19 UTC
Confirming there is still not a robot alien chocobo mount in my CQ...

Confirming still no pirate hat or peg leg option in character creator too...

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#26 - 2013-02-07 23:12:19 UTC
"hi guys i'm new to this game and i just podjumped to deklein, what should I do? what do you mean this game is full of people ready to give me all of their isk hand over fist?"

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Kanexus
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#27 - 2013-02-07 23:42:02 UTC
no theme park please...only thing i would want is WIS or maybe on story missions it has a lil more bang for example maybe a small cutscene using in game graphics or dialogue between people etc....nothing game changing but just more immersion.
Sab Sab Five
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2013-02-07 23:53:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Sab Sab Five
Quote:
running around a forest killing boars with your +3 axemace of....

u gotta finish this, i need to know what the axemace is called, and it drops in the forest??

is that in the Sortet system, or near OMS?

Quote:
robot alien chocobo mount in my CQ

that would be awesome!
Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#29 - 2013-02-08 00:26:15 UTC
Mr Pragmatic wrote:
Most people know the difference between a theme park and a sandbox. A few things to discuss.

No. More theme park elements equal to less sandbox.
You can have hybrid games but more you put in themepark more you subtract from sandbox.
Generals4
#30 - 2013-02-08 00:40:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Generals4
Mr Pragmatic wrote:

Considering the vast majority of MMO's are some kind of hybrid between sandbox and themepark, yes. Usually what determines whether an MMO is called a sandbox or themepark is the main focus, but even an MMO like WoW has Sandbox elements, just like EVE has themepark elements.

_-Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily. _

Ai Shun
#31 - 2013-02-08 00:45:24 UTC
Mr Pragmatic wrote:
However if one plays other games, you realize that eve is lacking in some things.

No, but it is aimed at a different audience to those game. What you perceive as a lack is simply the target demographic swooshing past you followed rather rapidly by the core design philosophy and concept behind EVE Online.
Xen Solarus
Furious Destruction and Salvage
#32 - 2013-02-08 00:46:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Xen Solarus
The closest thing EvE has to a themepark is in Highsec. They're mostly perfectly happy there on the rides, having fun and doing their thing. Its all the people outside, looking in, that seem to have the problem. I dunno if its just that they expect everyone to play the game and enjoy it for all the non-themepark related activities, or if they just want those guys to form a nice and orderly line into awaiting gate-camps. Perhaps they can't handle real PvP? Regardless, these often so-called PvPers just HATE the idea of this. An whole area filled with players that enjoy the game for completely different reasons to themselves? Why, they must just be playing the game wrong!

EvE is a sandbox for exactly the reason that it allows a multitude of different play styles. EvE is a great game, for this very reason. As much as you scream "PvP-only-game!" while suicide ganking defenceless carebears, if doesn't and probably never will change them into like-minded players. If anything, i'd argue you are the very problem itself, dissuading and preventing their natural progressiong out of highsec.

And everyone knows that the main reason highsec players are so preyed upon is because they don't shoot back. Much better than low and null, right? The areas where PvP is supposed to happen.......

You take away the things that make the people happy to subscribe and play, and you'll just make them leave. I'm sure alot of you might consider this a good thing, but you're wrong.

Post with your main, like a BOSS!

And no, i don't live in highsec.  As if that would make your opinion any less wrong.  

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#33 - 2013-02-08 00:47:01 UTC
Ai Shun wrote:
Mr Pragmatic wrote:
However if one plays other games, you realize that eve is lacking in some things.

No, but it is aimed at a different audience to those game. What you perceive as a lack is simply the target demographic swooshing past you followed rather rapidly by the core design philosophy and concept behind EVE Online.

If you don't like a game, don't play it. It's easier than trying to change it in to every other MMO.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Ai Shun
#34 - 2013-02-08 00:52:29 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Ai Shun wrote:
Mr Pragmatic wrote:

If you don't like a game, don't play it. It's easier than trying to change it in to every other MMO.

Alright; so you can summarise what I said in a shorter, easier to digest chunk. Thank you. Oh wait. You're in Goonwaffe. Am I allowed to thank you then? ;)
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#35 - 2013-02-08 00:57:08 UTC
Ai Shun wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Ai Shun wrote:
Mr Pragmatic wrote:

Alright; so you can summarise what I said in a shorter, easier to digest chunk. Thank you. Oh wait. You're in Goonwaffe. Am I allowed to thank you then? ;)

Of course!

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#36 - 2013-02-08 01:01:02 UTC
Generals4 wrote:
Considering the vast majority of MMO's are some kind of hybrid between sandbox and themepark

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Jimmy Gunsmythe
Sebiestor Tribe
#37 - 2013-02-08 01:03:29 UTC
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
Mr Pragmatic wrote:
4)Passive skill generation is good, but it doesn't reward constant playing. would there be a way to incorporate a hybrid system of passive skill generation and active skill generation.

WoW. Its that way ------->

Dust is that way too.

John Hancock

auraofblade
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#38 - 2013-02-08 01:07:34 UTC
Ehhh, a theme park style in EVE? How the heck would that even work?

The major issue is that every theme park to date has essentially made the player some sort of god walking among mere mortals. Y'know, the whole save the world thing. Problem is...that's not even close to the intended mentality of the game. Not only that, but I feel a theme park would be as jarringly out of place as I find it in, well, GW2.

If you haven't played GW2's personal story yet, here's my synopsis. You're kind of a big deal during any given story arc, the arc ends and you're a hero. Then you move on to the next story arc, where suddenly everyone spontaneously forgets the previous arc even existed. Oh, and then Traherne hijacks your story.

I believe the reason why that framework exists is that the theme park requires the game to empower the player, yet the intent of an open world means that the player also cannot be someone of consequence. The very idea of an NPC hijacking your story is actually rather vital to keeping that concept intact, because doing otherwise means either every player who ever played the game is suddenly a demigod that every faction reveres, or else you get the slightly awkward GW1 situation where you go down as "That Nameless Hero"...which doesn't work so well when you're supposed to show up again the next day instead of a 250 year timeskip.

To be blunt, I don't even think the theme park has any place in any open or sandbox world, period. The very idea that there's a structured, definite line of progression in a system that's inherently designed for there to NOT be a structured, definite line of progression only serves to muddle the true purpose of the game...but now I'm getting close to derailing the thread, so I'll stop here.
Shalia Ripper
#39 - 2013-02-08 01:07:47 UTC
I want to ride the Titan-a-Whirl and the DramielCoaster NOW DADDY!

Sig blah blah blah blah

Tesal
#40 - 2013-02-08 01:20:52 UTC
Shalia Ripper wrote:
I want to ride the Titan-a-Whirl and the DramielCoaster NOW DADDY!

I'm sorry but you aren't tall enough to be on those rides.
Previous page123Next page