These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Best T1 Frigs for a 2 person roam

Author
Rusef Book
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-02-07 19:47:32 UTC
Hello again fellow capsuleers,

I recently started a thread about my entry into the harsh world that is EVE pvp. It detailed a recent Low Sec roam from the other night where my brother and I, both new players to EVE, attempted to go find some trouble; and trouble we did find. If you have read that thread then I'd like to ask a follow up question. If you missed it, here's the link:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=202081

I got some really great responses there from people about how to fight, when to fight, and what to look out for but most people were telling me that the Slasher can be a bit squishy for a new player to be flying.

My question is as the title suggests. What are the best T1 or Faction Frigs for a newer player to be flying in a 2 person, low sec roam? What would give us the best chance of winning a fight while still being cost effective.

Also, feel free to post about your favorite PVP frigs even if they aren't practical for newer players or tell us some of your most memorable stories of PVP combat when you were a newer player.

Looking forward to reading your responses,

Book
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#2 - 2013-02-07 19:49:15 UTC
Define 'newer' as correct responses will need this info.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Top Belt for Fun
#3 - 2013-02-07 19:49:25 UTC
I'd go with a pair of Condors, but an Executioner + Condor would be pretty great as well. Maybe a Slasher + Condor?

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

Rusef Book
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2013-02-07 20:00:39 UTC
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
Define 'newer' as correct responses will need this info.

I'm talkin' 2 months. Real fresh. lol
Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#5 - 2013-02-07 20:27:14 UTC
Liang Nuren wrote:
I'd go with a pair of Condors, but an Executioner + Condor would be pretty great as well. Maybe a Slasher + Condor?

-Liang

RE the Condor, do you fit rockets or missiles? I've been mulling over T1 frigates myself, been playing around with the idea of a blaster/shield Atron, but it's pretty squishy @ 5K.

A professional astro-bastard was not available so they sent me.

Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Top Belt for Fun
#6 - 2013-02-07 20:39:05 UTC
Karl Hobb wrote:
Liang Nuren wrote:

-Liang

RE the Condor, do you fit rockets or missiles? I've been mulling over T1 frigates myself, been playing around with the idea of a blaster/shield Atron, but it's pretty squishy @ 5K.

I really like both variants, but prefer LML. Rocket Condors have some definite advantages over blaster/shield Atrons.

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#7 - 2013-02-07 20:41:10 UTC
Liang Nuren wrote:
I really like both variants, but prefer LML. Rocket Condors have some definite advantages over blaster/shield Atrons.

I'll look into that, thanks.

Gogela
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#8 - 2013-02-07 20:43:13 UTC
You can fit a pretty mean Merlin...

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Rusef Book
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2013-02-07 20:44:30 UTC
Gogela wrote:

is the Merlin a Gallente Frig?
Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#10 - 2013-02-07 20:49:15 UTC
Rusef Book wrote:
Gogela wrote:

is the Merlin a Gallente Frig?

No, it's Caldari. With high enough skills or decent implants you can get two Medium Ancillary Shield Boosters on it, which makes a mean tank. It's a pretty slow pig, though.

Sab Sab Five
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2013-02-07 21:01:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Sab Sab Five
the merlin is a good defensive ship, it has bonused shields.

the incursis (gallente) is a fun ship, has bonused active hardners, but you can fit 2 and run one with cab stable.

the Atron is fast and nimble, so you can get a quick tackle, but its weak defensively.

ideally with 2 frigates you want one that can tackle quick, and another that focuses on damage (imo) , an argument can also be made for the newer logi frigates, but i have not really seen those in action yet.

just remember not to neglect your defense... although the 5k comment is kinda ridiculous, as most tanked frigaates, at t1, come in lower than that.

look for ships that have nice combat bonuses, tracking bonus, defense bonus of some kind, damage bonus.

the rifter is still a great ship... but CCP has made it so that each race has a couple now.
Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-02-07 21:02:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Zimmy Zeta
I'd go for something like Crucifier + Executioner (or any other fast and nimble tackler).
Crucifier orbits at 15-20 and uses its tracking disruptors and drones on the target (and maybe even a long point as backup) while the Executioner goes into tight orbit and keeps the target tackled and dishes out damage with its guns.
Of course you should stay away from missile ships.

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#13 - 2013-02-07 21:27:33 UTC
Sab Sab Five wrote:
just remember not to neglect your defense... although the 5k comment is kinda ridiculous, as most tanked frigaates, at t1, come in lower than that.

Yeah, well, chalk it up to running buffer Merlins and Enyos with LG Slaves...

In that case, maybe I will try that Atron...

Midori Amiiko
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2013-02-07 22:56:12 UTC
Me and an unnamed pal tried out Gallente and Caldari EAS working in tandem. The ECM and damping really compliment each other nicely and you can really dictate the terms of engagement. With the reworking of the T1 equivalents, the concept should still work.

Just look out for F.O.F missiles (lawl).
Tubrug1
Meme Regime
#15 - 2013-02-07 22:59:26 UTC
Why's no one mentioned Rifters yet? Rifters!
Leah Solo
Lag No Use
#16 - 2013-02-07 23:13:31 UTC
Tubrug1 wrote:

Because CCP ruined them! :runsoffcrying:
ACE McFACE
Dirt 'n' Glitter
Local Is Primary
#17 - 2013-02-08 01:09:01 UTC
Tubrug1 wrote:

Because they aren't the only t1 frigate to fly anymore!

Now, more than ever, we need a dislike button.

Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#18 - 2013-02-08 01:11:54 UTC
ACE McFACE wrote:
Tubrug1 wrote:

Because they aren't the only t1 frigate to fly anymore!

*\o/* because **** Rifters.

Karrin Rawlter
The Darieux Society
#19 - 2013-02-08 04:02:59 UTC
I have been rolling in a duo, but we've only been on for about 10 days. We've had a fair amount of success with a destroyer/frigate combo. We've been using a catalyst decked with railguns for long range and a tristan or navitas for in your face swarm (tristan) or supporting the destroyer (navitas).
GreenSeed
#20 - 2013-02-08 04:14:44 UTC
slashers are a good bet, they are a nice ewar platform.

3 - 4 slashers can take on anything with enough ewar. 2 will be enough to learn the basics, just don't listen to people telling you prop/point/web is the holy trinity. drop the point, you don't want kills you want experience, and most people will commit anyway, no need to force them to.

tristans are even better, but they do rely a lot in drone skills, slashers can work with meta stuff just fine.
12Next page