These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Stay in NPC Corp or Join another 'real' corp?

First post
Author
Sovereign Solette
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-02-06 18:58:16 UTC
So what is best or what is the general consensus?
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#2 - 2013-02-06 19:05:34 UTC
Sovereign Solette wrote:

It really depends on what YOU want.

I can say why I want a player corp over a NPC corp, but this doesn't mean that it will also apply to you.

There are people who never leave the New Player NPC corp (Oraac for instance) and have a great time.
There are people who join a player corp ASAP and have fun.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Bow'en
Solutum
#3 - 2013-02-06 19:27:48 UTC
From an advantage standpoint, player corps are typically more close knit, and the tax rate is usually less.

NPC Corps are a cluster, the tax rate stays at 10%, but you can't be Wardec'd
J'Poll
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-02-06 19:33:36 UTC
Bow'en wrote:
From an advantage standpoint, player corps are typically more close knit, and the tax rate is usually less.

NPC Corps are a cluster, the tax rate stays at 10%, but you can't be Wardec'd

NPC tax = 11%

And plenty of corporations use 15% tax rates, but good corporations mean you also get something in return for that (like ship replacement program, ore buy back system, POS towers for research, SOV null-sec to live and make ISK).

But yes. A player runned corp is more of a community then the NPC corp, because they all fly under 1 ticker and all decided that they wanted to join that group instead of being placed there by a game mechanic.

This doesn't mean that player runned corporations are always better then the NPC ones. That's, like I said, personal preference.

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

ISD Cyberdyne
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#5 - 2013-02-06 19:49:14 UTC
From our wiki:

Quote:
NPC vs Player Corporations

NPC Corporations don't have anyone at the helm running them. They are mostly placeholders, a place to be in, if your pilot is not in a player-run corporation or not enlisted in a militia. Three main differences between NPC corporations and Player corporations are that NPC corporations charge a flat tax rate of 11% (for amounts over 100000 ISK), you cannot be a war target and you cannot put up player-owned structures nor claim sovereignty in the name of an NPC Corporation.

A Player corporation opens up a wide array of opportunities within the EVE Universe for an enterprising pilot ranging anywhere from organized industry involving player-owned-structures to epic fleets battling it out over sovereignty in 0.0 space. If you have a desire, somewhere out there is a Player corporation to fulfill it.

Enlisting in a militia falls somewhere in-between an NPC and a Player corporation. A militia is an NPC corporation, but it charges no tax, as the pilot is fighting for the faction and paying his dues that way. Note that Player corporations can also be allied with a militia faction.

Why Join a Corporation

Why choose one corporation over another? As mentioned before, different corporations bring different benefits and opportunities within New Eden. Your pilot will always be in a corporation. By default, when not in anything else by choice, you are always returned to your original NPC corp. However, whether you remain in that NPC corporation or not will likely depend on where your interests lie at any given time. The most common advice other pilots offer on the subject of joining a corporation is to know what your interests are, look around at what corporations are out there and whey have to offer, and to ask other pilots about their experiences.

Hope this helps :)

ISD Cyberdyne

Lieutenant Commander

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Nerath Naaris
Pink Winged Unicorns for Peace Love and Anarchy
#6 - 2013-02-06 20:04:21 UTC
The question is not stay in the NPC corp or join a player corp but finding a GOOD player corp to join.

And unfortunately, that is perhaps the most difficult part of Eve....

Je suis Paris // Köln // Brüssel // Orlando // Nice // Würzburg, München, Ansbach // Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray

Je suis Berlin // Fort Lauderdale // London // St. Petersburg // Stockholm

Je suis [?]

J'Poll
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-02-06 20:18:20 UTC
Nerath Naaris wrote:
The question is not stay in the NPC corp or join a player corp but finding a GOOD player corp to join.

And unfortunately, that is perhaps the most difficult part of Eve....

But this can help: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16943&find=unread

Yes NightCrawler, I'm back and beating you to it againEvil

Bud Austrene
Secure Haven
#8 - 2013-02-06 20:26:38 UTC
Sovereign Solette wrote:

You need to define "best".
If you want to play solo or be anti-social then the NPC corp would be best.
If you want group activity or social company then finding the right player corp would be best.

Yes I am an alt. I see no reason to make it easy for bullies and greifers

NightCrawler 85
Phoibe Enterprises
#9 - 2013-02-06 20:26:47 UTC
J'Poll wrote:

But this can help: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16943&find=unread

Arg! Im always too late! Lol

To the OP.
As J'poll mentioned earlier weather or not you would be more happy in a NPC corp or a player run corp changes from person to person but in general (note there are expections as always) people are more happy and feel they get more out of the game by being in a player run corporation.
There are however benefits and disadvantages to both (think most have already been mentioned) but for the social aspect (atleast in my own opinion) a player made corp is the best option and for me the social aspect is one of the things i enjoy the most with EVE.

Good luck!
J'Poll
Caldari State
#10 - 2013-02-06 21:00:55 UTC
NightCrawler 85 wrote:
J'Poll wrote:

Arg! Im always too late! Lol

To the OP.
As J'poll mentioned earlier weather or not you would be more happy in a NPC corp or a player run corp changes from person to person but in general (note there are expections as always) people are more happy and feel they get more out of the game by being in a player run corporation.
There are however benefits and disadvantages to both (think most have already been mentioned) but for the social aspect (atleast in my own opinion) a player made corp is the best option and for me the social aspect is one of the things i enjoy the most with EVE.

Good luck!

I even have days (as in sometimes weeks) where I log in, chat with corp/alliance/friends and join TS3 server but never undock or something. It's the community, not the actual game that makes me want to log in.

Sovereign Solette
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2013-02-06 21:02:15 UTC
wow thanks guys, need to find a good corp now!
Kathern Aurilen
#12 - 2013-02-06 21:31:03 UTC
Sovereign Solette wrote:
wow thanks guys, need to find a good corp now!
Also think about what u would want to join... A big teaching corp like the RvB alience and EVE Uni(till you figure out where you wanna go or do from there or a small close nit player corp and that could be divided into a indy corp or a PVE or a PVP or even a all in one corp(but I think tht it would have to be bigger than the small player corps).

No cuts, no butts, no coconuts!

Forum alt, unskilled in the ways of pewpew!

Maire Gheren
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#13 - 2013-02-06 23:30:48 UTC
Corps are good buut..

don't join a corp just to join a corp. Otherwise you're like the guy who's like 'omg I need a girlfriend sooo bad!' and gets snapped up by that one girl who just thinks it's awesome to be able to get some boy to buy her jewelry and pay her rent and buy her fancy dinners without ever having to do anything for him because hey, any girlfriend is better than no girlfriend right? nooo... there's like twenty really awesome girls who would've gone out with him if he'd chilled out and held out for someone awesome. Corps are the same thing. Don't go looking for a corp 'omg I need a corp'. Go looking for stuff you like to do, and a place you want to do it at, then meet and hook up with the people who are doing that same thing in the same part of space that you like.
MadMuppet
Critical Mass Inc
#14 - 2013-02-07 02:00:56 UTC
I have two alts on this account, both are trained to be CEO alts. I have corps on both of them for the sole purpose to avoid paying taxes (the 11% NPC tax sucks when you are able to do level 4s in your sleep). Anyhow, yeah you can get wardecced, but just leave the corp if you get decced. With your alts running the corp there are no roles to drop so if you find a group of people you want to play with you can hop right in and join them instead, and if it goes south, hop back in to your private corp.

I have two corps for two reasons, one to dodge wardecs, but the secons reason is because I have one corp in Faction Warfare in case I want to pew-pew for a weekend.

This message brought to you by Experience(tm). When common sense fails you, experience will come to the rescue. Experience(tm) from the makers of CONCORD.

"If you are part of the problem, you will be nerfed." -MadMuppet

mkint
#15 - 2013-02-07 05:01:21 UTC
As far as finding a corp, there are a couple routes you can go. You can search ads to see what corps are doing what you want to do, except corp ads lie. All the time. Before joining a corp, fly an op with them. Get a sense for how they get along, and how organized they are. Look them up on public killboards to get a sense of how active they are and how competent they are. It's okay to join a corp of noobs as long as they seem committed enough to stick through their first wardecs and ideally at least attempt to fight. When you find your corp, don't hesitate to stand up and take part. There are always talent gaps, and you might just be the person your corp needs to win eve.

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#16 - 2013-02-07 10:04:17 UTC
I think it's safe to say the general consensus is that NPC corps are kind of meh. Even on these forums, posting a rant with a character in an NPC corporation is often met with a few sneers and the advice to post with your main. I am actually quite surprised how mild people speak of NPC corps in this topic. NPC corps are PVP poison, a default option intended as a placeholder for when you start out, or when you are looking for a new corp that better suits your playstyle. That being said, I agree there are many different corps and it's perfectly fine for newer players to remain in an NPC corp untill they have a good grasp of the game's mechanics. The consensus is more or less that staying in an NPC corp indefinately is for the ultra-casual and risk averse.
Sovereign Solette
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2013-02-07 10:23:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Sovereign Solette
Ok, I am looking for a corp. Should I rely on the battleclinic killboards? Like what if their position is like 100,000! Or their 7 day tracker is empty. Do these stats matter for my general purpose needs?
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2013-02-07 10:37:36 UTC
Depends what you want. If you're looking for a mission-running or indy corp, then killboard stats won't be of much value (other than to see if they are frequent victims). If you're looking for a PVP-centric corp then killboard stats will probably be of more interest.
NightCrawler 85
Phoibe Enterprises
#19 - 2013-02-07 14:48:19 UTC
Sovereign Solette wrote:
Ok, I am looking for a corp. Should I rely on the battleclinic killboards? Like what if their position is like 100,000! Or their 7 day tracker is empty. Do these stats matter for my general purpose needs?

You have to remember that there is a LOT of corps out there so the position dosent really matter that much unless you are looking for a more spezialised PVP . For the PVP tracker.. Well again if your looking for a heavy PVP spezialised corp the 7 day tracker actually is usefull to you.

But if what your looking for is an all around corp, a mission corp or an industry corp these stats wont matter that much to you and it will not give you an accurate idea on how many members they actually DO have, so at the best you can use it as a base on what to expect. Also if your looking for a industry corp and see you a lot of..say barge or hauler losses you can be pretty sure that either the corp/alliance gets war decced a lot (please note that its normal to find a loss like this here and there, but consistantly for the past two months and you should be careful).
Ofc its also very possible these losses are all suecide gankers and so on so if you find a corp with this kind of stats look at who kills them and compare it to their war history ingame.

Please note im not saying that you should dismiss any corp that is in a lot of wars, just that you want to keep it in mind so you know what to expect and can talk to the recruiter about how this will affect you. Also make sure you ask if they know why they get war decced in the first place. In some cases you will find that industry corps almost begs for it without realizing what they are doing and this can kill a corp really fast.

So, pretending your looking for an industry corp.. If they are not in a lot of wars, dont loose a lot of ships to gankers ( and dont try to mine in Amamake because its such a great idea Lol ) your best way of finding out how active they are is to hang out in their public channel, and possibly ask if you can join their operations or hang around their HQ. Please note that some corps will be very vary of this since, as you will learn soon, EVE players are very paranoid and that innocent noob is really a spy for *arc nemesis* that is looking to kill you! Blink
Cameron Zero
Sebiestor Tribe
#20 - 2013-02-07 16:23:38 UTC
Kathern Aurilen wrote:
Also think about what u would want to join... A big teaching corp like the RvB alience

Just a quick point of order...

RvB is not a teaching alliance like Eve University. We ARE new player friendly, and you CAN learn a lot in RvB, but we aren't set up to specifically teach people "how to Eve Online".

(Sidenote: We do have a small group of pilots who like to help new players out, but they do that in their free time, and there's no real structure involved.)

MESSAGE TO THE OP:

Take things like Battleclinic rank with a grain of salt. You know what they say about statistics...

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. …"

12Next page