These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Where's Red Frog an Push on this nerf NPC thing?

Author
Nicolo da'Vicenza
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#341 - 2013-02-07 00:27:23 UTC
Aren Madigan wrote:
El Digin wrote:

This is what this game is all about. You have described this game to a T. But you know what, there's ways you can play the big boys against eachother. Or start your own exclusive club of people who hate the big boys.

Really, because I was more under the impression that was more what low sec and null sec was about. High sec being some protection from those attitudes. Key word obviously being some.
As in not total.
Aren Madigan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#342 - 2013-02-07 00:33:08 UTC
Tallian Saotome wrote:
Aren Madigan wrote:

Because really, the consequences of going straight to throwing people in head first I guarantee would be too much. It isn't a solution that'd expand on gameplay. I've played a lot of games that played loose with things like that and it always becomes about the chosen few groups. Don't kiss their feet? You die, and I know some of the big corps would jump all over that. EVE is different from a lot of games, yeah, but not so different that human psychology changes at its base level. And I know I keep repeating this point, but its because I've seen it happen so much. Definition of insanity.

I see an easy way to deal with which is already in game... Mercenary marketplace.

I my suggestion many pages back, I clearly said that wardeccing the NPC corp would cause the NPC corp to open up a request in the marketplace, which would be paid for by the NPC corp, and temporary bounties placed on the wardeccing corp to pay the mercs.

In other words, if you wardec NPC corp, in addition to the very large fee to pay for it, it automatically calls for help and pays said help to deal with the wardeccers.

We have enough white knights and people who just want to fight in this game that the fight would still be stacked in the defenders favor.

Edit: I R gud at gramer.

I've ignored that suggestion for a good while because it won't work that way. While some would come to their defense, they will be outnumbered, outmatched, and essentially screwed regardless. Not my first rodeo. They'd end up very rapidly outmatched and destroyed constantly. Being a member of an NPC corp would become so dangerous that joining a player corp would no longer be a choice if you wanted to get anything done.

Nicolo da'Vicenza wrote:
Aren Madigan wrote:
El Digin wrote:

This is what this game is all about. You have described this game to a T. But you know what, there's ways you can play the big boys against eachother. Or start your own exclusive club of people who hate the big boys.

Really, because I was more under the impression that was more what low sec and null sec was about. High sec being some protection from those attitudes. Key word obviously being some.
As in not total.

And certainly not virtually none.
Tallian Saotome
Nuclear Arms Exchange Inc.
#343 - 2013-02-07 00:54:29 UTC
Aren Madigan wrote:

Being a member of an NPC corp would become so dangerous that joining a player corp would no longer be a choice if you wanted to get anything done.

wat?

It would, at worst, make being in NPC corps dangerous if you wanted to accomplish anything... Guess what, thats a GOOD thing because it gets people into player corps.

Oh, and Akasai begs to differ. It is proof that given a chance everyone in EVE will dogpile the big guys in an attempt to hurt him.

Inappropriate signature removed, CCP Phantom.

Aren Madigan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#344 - 2013-02-07 00:57:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Aren Madigan
Tallian Saotome wrote:
Aren Madigan wrote:

Being a member of an NPC corp would become so dangerous that joining a player corp would no longer be a choice if you wanted to get anything done.

wat?

It would, at worst, make being in NPC corps dangerous if you wanted to accomplish anything... Guess what, thats a GOOD thing because it gets people into player corps.

Oh, and Akasai begs to differ. It is proof that given a chance everyone in EVE will dogpile the big guys in an attempt to hurt him.

Given an opening, a large number of people will take it, yes... but a fight like Asakai is the exception, not the rule, otherwise they'd be getting battered daily, not just when they did something stupid that leaves themselves exposed. And no, what you're imagining is not the worse by even a long shot. Noooot even close. If it was, I'd maybe consider it as a valid concept, but that isn't how those things turn out in the long run with that kind of situation. Never has been, never will be.
Tallian Saotome
#345 - 2013-02-07 01:08:43 UTC
Aren Madigan wrote:
Tallian Saotome wrote:
Aren Madigan wrote:

wat?

Given an opening, a large number of people will take it, yes... but a fight like Asakai is the exception, not the rule, otherwise they'd be getting battered daily, not just when they did something stupid that leaves themselves exposed. And no, what you're imagining is not the worse by even a long shot. Noooot even close. If it was, I'd maybe consider it as a valid concept, but that isn't how those things turn out in the long run with that kind of situation. Never has been, never will be.

Explain, please, how making NPC corp wardeccable would make being in a player corp dangerous.

Tarryn Nightstorm
Hellstar Towing and Recovery
#346 - 2013-02-07 01:22:03 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
[...]
I wish people like the OP would somehow come to understand that sometimes, things that are good for the game (in this case, a player driven game NOT having an npc based safe haven for veteran players) might not be the same as things that are good for their own narrow personal interests.

They never will. Because they refuse to.

This is the kind of player to whom "carebear" used as a pejorative applies most aptly.

They don't seem to understand that you can never be truly alone in an open-world single-sharded sandbox, no matter what you want.

Star Wars: the Old Republic may not be EVE. But I'll take the sound of dual blaster-pistols over "NURVV CLAOKING NAOW!!!11oneone!!" any day of the week.

Aren Madigan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#347 - 2013-02-07 01:22:05 UTC
Tallian Saotome wrote:
Aren Madigan wrote:
Tallian Saotome wrote:
Aren Madigan wrote:

wat?

Explain, please, how making NPC corp wardeccable would make being in a player corp dangerous.

Imagine every large alliance looking to exert their power wardeccing NPC corps.
Imagine every pirate corp looking to make a profit wardeccing the NPC corps.
Imagine groups like New Order wardeccing the NPC corps.
Imagine every scumbag who wants to kill easy target and make a profit while doing it wardeccing the NPC corps.

There would be such a massive string of sudden wardecs that would outmatch what any mercenary corp would be capable of defending against. For profit, to forcefully increase their numbers, to destroy potential future competition, for whatever reason. Amongst the most powerful groups of EVE? These are not the minority. Amongst individuals, the majority will be the indifferent, the followers, or the scared. This isn't just a wild guess, not fortune telling, this is based off human psychology and experience with a large variety of other pure FFA games. And this would continue for a good while. About up to the point where the tension between this groups competing erupts.

Granted, a lot would be going on, which is good in theory, but you have not seen how bad and hostile a community can get until you've seen things get to that point. I would not look forward to seeing it on EVE's scale.
Tallian Saotome
#348 - 2013-02-07 01:51:45 UTC
Aren Madigan wrote:
Tallian Saotome wrote:
Aren Madigan wrote:
Tallian Saotome wrote:
Aren Madigan wrote:

wat?

Imagine every large alliance looking to exert their power wardeccing NPC corps.
Imagine every pirate corp looking to make a profit wardeccing the NPC corps.
Imagine groups like New Order wardeccing the NPC corps.
Imagine every scumbag who wants to kill easy target and make a profit while doing it wardeccing the NPC corps.

There would be such a massive string of sudden wardecs that would outmatch what any mercenary corp would be capable of defending against. For profit, to forcefully increase their numbers, to destroy potential future competition, for whatever reason. Amongst the most powerful groups of EVE? These are not the minority. Amongst individuals, the majority will be the indifferent, the followers, or the scared. This isn't just a wild guess, not fortune telling, this is based off human psychology and experience with a large variety of other pure FFA games. And this would continue for a good while. About up to the point where the tension between this groups competing erupts.

Granted, a lot would be going on, which is good in theory, but you have not seen how bad and hostile a community can get until you've seen things get to that point. I would not look forward to seeing it on EVE's scale.

None of that makes being in a player corp more dangerous, it makes being in a NPC(NON-player character) corp more dangerous.

You keep insisting that this will make being in a player corp more dangerous, and as proof you are explaining why being in a non-player corp would be more dangerous.

This would all encourage people to leave the NPC corps(this is a good thing, why should a PLAYER be in a NON-PLAYER corporation?), and it would give free wars with all those big boys to those who want it.

Make sure you distinguish between player corps(like the one I am in) and NPC(NON-PLAYER) corps before you go any further.

Aren Madigan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#349 - 2013-02-07 01:59:58 UTC
Tallian Saotome wrote:

None of that makes being in a player corp more dangerous, it makes being in a NPC(NON-player character) corp more dangerous.

You keep insisting that this will make being in a player corp more dangerous, and as proof you are explaining why being in a non-player corp would be more dangerous.

This would all encourage people to leave the NPC corps(this is a good thing, why should a PLAYER be in a NON-PLAYER corporation?), and it would give free wars with all those big boys to those who want it.

Make sure you distinguish between player corps(like the one I am in) and NPC(NON-PLAYER) corps before you go any further.

Wait wait wait... what? I never said it makes player corps more dangerous, I said it'd make joining them no longer a choice. As in, if you want to do anything, you'd have to join one. If you don't want to get blapped every other gate, you'd have to join one. At no point did I say anything remotely resembling player corps being the ones that are more dangerous.
Tallian Saotome
#350 - 2013-02-07 02:11:54 UTC
Aren Madigan wrote:

Wait wait wait... what? I never said it makes player corps more dangerous, I said it'd make joining them no longer a choice. As in, if you want to do anything, you'd have to join one. If you don't want to get blapped every other gate, you'd have to join one. At no point did I say anything remotely resembling player corps being the ones that are more dangerous.

My bad, I misread that :P

And what you say is true, staying in the NPC corp would no longer work to keep people safe.

Thats the whole point. Right now NPC corps are a place you go so no one can ever wardec you and so you are safe from everything but suicide ganks.

This FORCES people to suicide gank if they want to affect your game play, which is very much not a good thing for the game.

In other words, you are forcing a gameplay style on me I don't like, and preventing me from PVPing in a PVP oriented game. Do you see the issue?

Oh, and I think you are wrong about the EVE community, there are not nearly as many griefers as the forums would lead you to believe. You mostly hear about people who whine publicly, which makes them a target. You do know that posting anything on these forums does make you a target in-game, right?

In-game, I run into way more white knights who want to kill pirates and griefers than actual pirates and griefers, and I hang out with pirates and griefers(those dudes are someof the nicest guys ever to sit and BS with... as long as you know they will jump on any weakness you show them).

The EVE universe is one where declaring war on your competitiors is a legitimate business practice, but far to many people across all aspects of the game use NPC corps as a shelter for their business to prevent this(I myself use NPC corps to shelter my haulage, because its a best practice to keep high value assets safe). We need to fix this and remove the ability to hide from the nature of the game behind flawed mechanics.

Aren Madigan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#351 - 2013-02-07 02:29:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Aren Madigan
Tallian Saotome wrote:
Aren Madigan wrote:

My bad, I misread that :P

And what you say is true, staying in the NPC corp would no longer work to keep people safe.

Thats the whole point. Right now NPC corps are a place you go so no one can ever wardec you and so you are safe from everything but suicide ganks.

This FORCES people to suicide gank if they want to affect your game play, which is very much not a good thing for the game.

In other words, you are forcing a gameplay style on me I don't like, and preventing me from PVPing in a PVP oriented game. Do you see the issue?

Oh, and I think you are wrong about the EVE community, there are not nearly as many griefers as the forums would lead you to believe. You mostly hear about people who whine publicly, which makes them a target. You do know that posting anything on these forums does make you a target in-game, right?

In-game, I run into way more white knights who want to kill pirates and griefers than actual pirates and griefers, and I hang out with pirates and griefers(those dudes are someof the nicest guys ever to sit and BS with... as long as you know they will jump on any weakness you show them).

The EVE universe is one where declaring war on your competitiors is a legitimate business practice, but far to many people across all aspects of the game use NPC corps as a shelter for their business to prevent this(I myself use NPC corps to shelter my haulage, because its a best practice to keep high value assets safe). We need to fix this and remove the ability to hide from the nature of the game behind flawed mechanics.

I hardly see the point of high sec though if you're pretty much going to remove part of its purpose, and given the nature of the game, if you want new people to enjoy it? If you want people who may not the best to learn, they need room to do so, not be forced to either hide, making them playing pointless, or die and die and die until they are stuck in a rookie ship. If you want people in player corps, they need to be good fits, otherwise all you get is discontent. Not something you want in any game.

Also I'm not basing my view on the forums, or just the EVE community. I'm basing it on a combined experience of other games that have had pure FFA gameplay (pretty wide variety of text MUDs, Age of Conan, even Ultima Online some, but towns were still largely safe, so you had methods to get past the camps, etc). This isn't an isolated thing. There are plenty in any game, anywhere that'd jump on this opportunity. There's a reason webcomics like The Noob have presented this concept with a pure FFA server, masses of PKers just waiting and watching for the opportunity to gank easy targets. EQ PvP servers were notorious for delevelers using obscenely overpowered gear for the level and ganking easy targets. EVE isn't going to mysteriously and magically be different just because its a different game. A sense of power over others appeals to a very very base human instinct that really comes full swing in gaming. "This time" wouldn't be any different. You really think CCP wouldn't just go for it if they didn't think that everything would be ok if they did? That things would be better if they did? CCP would be all over that if there wasn't some incredible and potentially game breaking risk involved. That's their thing. I think if they were certain this wouldn't be the case? They'd probably be fine with the idea your presenting. I know I would.

Now I'm not saying corps shouldn't have viable things they can do. I wouldn't say that they shouldn't get advantages they have access to with enough members that encourage war decs. A game can be PvP focused without having to be able to kill everything in sight.

EDIT: And hell, I'd be up for making calling CONCORD a manual thing... no more AFK protection. Can do other things while you mine and such, but gotta be alert enough to call CONCORD before or soon after you blow... or just be auto on podding.
Serith Ellecon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#352 - 2013-02-07 02:40:59 UTC
Simple solution:
Make courier contracts taxable (if they're not already) and then make the NPC corp tax scale by skill points. Say 5% per million SP? Or by character age? It takes roughly 100 days of training to get into a JF, or around 5 mil SP, and that's before you improve your cybernetics, or get any other skills to align faster so you can survive things.

A scaling tax may well require a cap, of say 50% tax. But then you have a choice, to pay double the price to a contract hauler in an NPC corp, or save money and take the risk your preferred hauling corp could get a war dec.

Inappropriate signature added.  CCP Notarealdev.

Tallian Saotome
#353 - 2013-02-07 02:41:03 UTC
Aren Madigan wrote:
Wall o' text from both of us

There are 2 kinds of NPC corps, noob NPC corps which you can never go back to, and the other kind. Noob NPC corps should not be wardeccable, ever, but you should have to leave if you want to use T2 hulls or capships(freighters are caps), and perhaps one or 2 other markers that would indicate you can no longer claim you are a noob(if you can fly a mining barge, a T2 hull, or a capship of any variety, you are not a noob). This was all explained in my original post.

Essentially, noobs deserve protection, but once you are no longer a noob, you need to deal with the game, not hide from it.

Oh, and just because everyone has wardecced the NPC corp doesn't mean its a FFA, I have no idea wheere you came up with FFA.

Aren Madigan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#354 - 2013-02-07 02:52:43 UTC
Tallian Saotome wrote:
Aren Madigan wrote:

There are 2 kinds of NPC corps, noob NPC corps which you can never go back to, and the other kind. Noob NPC corps should not be wardeccable, ever, but you should have to leave if you want to use T2 hulls or capships(freighters are caps), and perhaps one or 2 other markers that would indicate you can no longer claim you are a noob(if you can fly a mining barge, a T2 hull, or a capship of any variety, you are not a noob). This was all explained in my original post.

Essentially, noobs deserve protection, but once you are no longer a noob, you need to deal with the game, not hide from it.

Oh, and just because everyone has wardecced the NPC corp doesn't mean its a FFA, I have no idea wheere you came up with FFA.

It essentially would be, just wardeccing the NPC corps would be the most satisfying/profitable targets for a good while, and frankly it still fails to address what happens once someone is knocked back to essentially a noob level because they don't like the corp choices they've been presented and they get knocked back, among other things. If people want to hide, let them, just don't make it the most profitable thing. Let people enjoy the game the way they wish since really, that's going to end up being the only remotely fair and reasonable thing for a game like this. One where if there weren't protections of some sort, you could be obliterated to nothing and never recover. It'd take a true masochist to find that to be fun. Might be fun to afflict to some people, but that's really not a healthy attitude to encourage.
Tallian Saotome
#355 - 2013-02-07 03:00:25 UTC
Aren Madigan wrote:
Tallian Saotome wrote:
Aren Madigan wrote:

It essentially would be, just wardeccing the NPC corps would be the most satisfying/profitable targets for a good while, and frankly it still fails to address what happens once someone is knocked back to essentially a noob level because they don't like the corp choices they've been presented and they get knocked back, among other things. If people want to hide, let them, just don't make it the most profitable thing. Let people enjoy the game the way they wish since really, that's going to end up being the only remotely fair and reasonable thing for a game like this. One where if there weren't protections of some sort, you could be obliterated to nothing and never recover. It'd take a true masochist to find that to be fun. Might be fun to afflict to some people, but that's really not a healthy attitude to encourage.

I beg to differ about it being un-recoverable.

I have been knocked down to nothing on a couple occasions, and didn't have to resort to hiding in an NPC corp to recover, its actually much easier to recover by joining a player corp than it is to try and recover solo.

More than that, no matter how much you lose, as long as you have friends recovery is easy, just float a 10 mil loan. You can also scam for this, or just run L1s in a noobship(if you can do it as a noob, you can definitely do it as a vet, and you can do it as a noob). As a final option, you can always make a mission corp and recover by taxing noob mission runners.

There is no such thing as not being able to recover unless you refuse to take part in the multi-player aspect of the game.

A 1 man corp is better than NPC corp, but even thats a terrible idea since why would you want to play a multiplayer game solo?

Nicolo da'Vicenza
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#356 - 2013-02-07 03:02:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Nicolo da'Vicenza
Aren Madigan wrote:
I hardly see the point of high sec though if you're pretty much going to remove part of its purpose, and given the nature of the game, if you want new people to enjoy it? If you want people who may not the best to learn, they need room to do so, not be forced to either hide, making them playing pointless, or die and die and die until they are stuck in a rookie ship. If you want people in player corps, they need to be good fits, otherwise all you get is discontent. Not something you want in any game.
NPC corps don't help newbies and aren't relevant to their discussion - if anyone wanted to gank a newbie out of the game or into rookie ships, they could easily do so without wardecs - just a handful of catalysts. Cheaper then a wardec, most likely. For a character who can't access ships with high HP that require lots of SP, armor plates and a DCU are better 'pro newbie' features then an NPC corp. It's quite advantageous for the veterans multibox fleet though who crush the newbies economically with their cumulative wealth as well.

I almost forgot, NPC corps assure though that the griefed newbie will never have any sort of recourse beyond auctioning the kill right.

Quote:
EDIT: And hell, I'd be up for making calling CONCORD a manual thing... no more AFK protection. Can do other things while you mine and such, but gotta be alert enough to call CONCORD before or soon after you blow... or just be auto on podding.
Aren Madigan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#357 - 2013-02-07 03:09:08 UTC
Tallian Saotome wrote:
Aren Madigan wrote:
Tallian Saotome wrote:
Aren Madigan wrote:

I beg to differ about it being un-recoverable.

I have been knocked down to nothing on a couple occasions, and didn't have to resort to hiding in an NPC corp to recover, its actually much easier to recover by joining a player corp than it is to try and recover solo.

More than that, no matter how much you lose, as long as you have friends recovery is easy, just float a 10 mil loan. You can also scam for this, or just run L1s in a noobship(if you can do it as a noob, you can definitely do it as a vet, and you can do it as a noob). As a final option, you can always make a mission corp and recover by taxing noob mission runners.

There is no such thing as not being able to recover unless you refuse to take part in the multi-player aspect of the game.

A 1 man corp is better than NPC corp, but even thats a terrible idea since why would you want to play a multiplayer game solo?

OK, I'm just going to come out and say this, how does not being in a player corp automatically mean they only play solo? They could work with various other people from various corps, NPC and player. Being in an NPC corp does not automatically mean solo play, it just means they don't have a specific group. And why should they be forced to?

And also, Nicolo, note that specifically note that targeting a person to that extent does fall under griefing pretty distinctly, as it should. Funny how mechanics are also built to largely prevent that from happening with any efficency, isn't it?
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#358 - 2013-02-07 03:11:47 UTC
I was going to type something, but the Thread has become so Baroque it has disappeared utterly........AS IT SHOULD.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Tallian Saotome
#359 - 2013-02-07 03:18:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Tallian Saotome
Aren Madigan wrote:

OK, I'm just going to come out and say this, how does not being in a player corp automatically mean they only play solo? They could work with various other people from various corps, NPC and player. Being in an NPC corp does not automatically mean solo play, it just means they don't have a specific group. And why should they be forced to?

And also, Nicolo, note that specifically note that targeting a person to that extent does fall under griefing pretty distinctly, as it should. Funny how mechanics are also built to largely prevent that from happening with any efficency, isn't it?

Automatically? It doesn't, but in practice, it usually does.

Thats the thing, you can cherry pick exceptions to any generalization, but cherry picking examples doesn't mean the generalization isn't generally true.

As far as I have been able to tell from my time in eve, during which I have done almost everything but run my own empire(including being an asocial carebear, tho I never stayed long in NPC corps because of the constant scams and spam in the channel) 95% of people in NPC corps have been alts or people hiding from wardecs.

And the alts were there to hide them from wardecs so people could make isk mindlessly, or post on the forums without fear of retaliation.

Kinda sad that so many people are now hiding in NPC corps with all their characters that 'Post with your main' is no longer a thing.

Oh yeah, and its always possible to recover in eve because plex Bear

Aren Madigan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#360 - 2013-02-07 03:40:47 UTC
Tallian Saotome wrote:
Aren Madigan wrote:

Automatically? It doesn't, but in practice, it usually does.

Thats the thing, you can cherry pick exceptions to any generalization, but cherry picking examples doesn't mean the generalization isn't generally true.

As far as I have been able to tell from my time in eve, during which I have done almost everything but run my own empire(including being an asocial carebear, tho I never stayed long in NPC corps because of the constant scams and spam in the channel) 95% of people in NPC corps have been alts or people hiding from wardecs.

And the alts were there to hide them from wardecs so people could make isk mindlessly, or post on the forums without fear of retaliation.

Kinda sad that so many people are now hiding in NPC corps with all their characters that 'Post with your main' is no longer a thing.

How do we know which one is doing the cherry picking here? Fact is, we don't really. Not reliably at least, so I'm not even going to bother discussing that part of it. Hell, your views of the scams and spam is different from my experience with it, I just didn't feel any real connection or motivation, but different people are going to have different mindsets. It be like looking at these forums and deciding that the community of EVE is terrible based off them alone.

Also don't get me started on the PLEX... its fine and dandy, but if it started being needed for stuff like that, the game could burn in hell.

Anyways, think at this point we've been going in circles long enough.... seriously though, if you want some changes, really should go with pushing something not so drastic... frankly there's no way one can say that its not a severe, massive and drastic change. Can believe its the right change all you want, but its a huge long reaching one that affects a lot more than the reasons why its often suggested. To expect something like that is pretty unrealistic.