These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Anyone wanna talk snakes?

First post
Author
CCP Nadir
C C P
C C P Alliance
#21 - 2013-02-04 13:10:24 UTC
Actually I've always wanted a pet lizard too, especially a chameleon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aX_obrDPJA

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#22 - 2013-02-04 15:20:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Eurydia Vespasian
when i was little i found an eastern box turtle in the woods. this was in the midwest. must have been an intrepid little bugger. i kept him for awhile (yes, it was a "him" according to the pet guy) but...remarkably, he escaped one day. i know! who would have thought a turtle to be a great escape artist? he was like the houdini of all turtles.
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#23 - 2013-02-04 15:40:56 UTC  |  Edited by: silens vesica
Growing up we had a gopher snake as a pet - Wild-caught (she climbed into my step-father's sleeping bag), she was remarkably docile and easy to handle; content to drape herself over our shoulders and (literally) hang out. Only kept her three or so years befroe releasing her back into the wild. At the time we released her, she was a veritible giant of her species, over 8 feet long. Yeah, we kept her well-fed.
Blink

Along the same time, we also had other examples of south-west desert species present in the house (that being my step-father's area of research), including an immature (and *very* nasty) western diamondback rattlesnake and a horned toad (AKA horned lizard).

Oh, and a pallid bat. Yes, really. Also quite docile and easy to handle - would take mealworms from your hand, or take them on the wing if you tossed them up. Had to make sure the room was *tightly* sealed to prevent his escape before releasing him to fly, of course.

All of the above were returned to their habitats before long.

Last, we had some red-eared slider turtles that grew to entirely unreasonable size on their diet of minnows and stunned horseflies; we'd hunt horseflies for them, and because the turtles woudn't eat dead prey, we learned how to swat the horseflies in such a way to stun and mangle them without killing them. The turtles loved those.
Twisted

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Duramah
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#24 - 2013-02-06 14:11:39 UTC
Brujo Loco
Brujeria Teologica
#25 - 2013-02-06 23:01:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Brujo Loco
I like my "snakes" like this, flexible ... mmmmm ...

BUT NOT LIKE THIS OK? they evil ...

Inner Sayings of BrujoLoco: http://eve-files.com/sig/brujoloco

Helgrind Wolf
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#26 - 2013-02-07 06:04:24 UTC
silens vesica wrote:
Growing up we had a gopher snake as a pet - Wild-caught (she climbed into my step-father's sleeping bag), she was remarkably docile and easy to handle; content to drape herself over our shoulders and (literally) hang out. Only kept her three or so years befroe releasing her back into the wild. At the time we released her, she was a veritible giant of her species, over 8 feet long. Yeah, we kept her well-fed.
Blink

Along the same time, we also had other examples of south-west desert species present in the house (that being my step-father's area of research), including an immature (and *very* nasty) western diamondback rattlesnake and a horned toad (AKA horned lizard).

Oh, and a pallid bat. Yes, really. Also quite docile and easy to handle - would take mealworms from your hand, or take them on the wing if you tossed them up. Had to make sure the room was *tightly* sealed to prevent his escape before releasing him to fly, of course.

All of the above were returned to their habitats before long.

Last, we had some red-eared slider turtles that grew to entirely unreasonable size on their diet of minnows and stunned horseflies; we'd hunt horseflies for them, and because the turtles woudn't eat dead prey, we learned how to swat the horseflies in such a way to stun and mangle them without killing them. The turtles loved those.
Twisted

I've never seen a rattlesnake tank that wasn't covered in venom, and yeah its usually pretty easy to handle some wild snakes depending on the species. I'm in Ohio at the moment so there isn't much here reptile wise. Back home in SC though it was a blast, there were always interesting reptiles to find. There is a population of water snake out here that is endangered literally because people mistake them for cotton mouths and always kill them. Got a new little girl today, a 3 month red tail boa, she's a lighter phase, almost pink.
Helgrind Wolf
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#27 - 2013-02-07 06:07:45 UTC
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
when i was little i found an eastern box turtle in the woods. this was in the midwest. must have been an intrepid little bugger. i kept him for awhile (yes, it was a "him" according to the pet guy) but...remarkably, he escaped one day. i know! who would have thought a turtle to be a great escape artist? he was like the houdini of all turtles.

I had the same thing happen with an alligator snapper I found in a ditch one time XP
Helgrind Wolf
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#28 - 2013-02-07 06:09:04 UTC
CCP Nadir wrote:
Actually I've always wanted a pet lizard too, especially a chameleon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aX_obrDPJA

My girlfriend has been harassing me to get her one for a while now, the 10 other reptiles just are not enough haha.
Previous page12