These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How EVE Became Obsolete (And why CCP hasn’t noticed)

First post
Author
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#401 - 2013-02-02 10:45:34 UTC
just had a huge facebook convo on my wall with friends about buying apple.
Ai Shun
#402 - 2013-02-02 11:02:31 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:

Green, red or those odd looking yellow ones? Because that's the only apple worth talking about unless you believe that owning an overpriced, branded device makes you a person worth knowing.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#403 - 2013-02-02 13:46:07 UTC
I'm with you. I said macs are for girls and paying for one is irresponsible
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#404 - 2013-02-02 13:58:08 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:

show them this little bit of information

sorry that it's 9gag tho, couldn't find it anywhere else.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#405 - 2013-02-02 14:09:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
the main point I made was now that Windows is more capable as an intermediary between hardware and software, and building a computer is nearly plug-and-play, paying for a complete system makes less sense.

ya know, assemble the pieces where they fit, be careful about clamping the CPU, then load the OS. even BIOSs have mouse support.

the problems from ten years ago, such as missing drivers and manually changing motherboard settings... are gone now. of all the complete-system manufacturers like gateway, HP/Compaq, Dell... Apple is the only one that has tied an OS to its hardware to keep itself fat.

maybe it's just that apple has realized a lot of people are trendy, have a bit of disposable income, and are not very computer literate.

my suggestion was, since a mac's value is in the image, get a mac pro tower and fill it with a custom computer. (I'm a genius)
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#406 - 2013-02-02 14:18:45 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
the main point I made was now that Windows is more capable as an intermediary between hardware and software, and building a computer is nearly plug-and-play, paying for a complete system makes less sense.

ya know, assemble the pieces where they fit, be careful about clamping the CPU, then load the OS. even BIOSs have mouse support.

the problems from ten years ago, such as missing drivers and manually changing motherboard settings... are gone now. of all the complete-system manufacturers like gateway, HP/Compaq, Dell... Apple is the only one that has tied an OS to its hardware to keep itself fat.

maybe it's just that apple has realized a lot of people are trendy, have a bit of disposable income, and are not very computer literate.

my suggestion was, since a mac's value is in the image, get a mac pro tower and fill it with a custom computer. (I'm a genius)

biggest innovation that Apple brought these last years was how can marketing win billions upon billions. Assemble something from hitech parts, and then slap an apple logo on it. there, an "innovative" overpriced product that people will want to buy because it has an apple logo.

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Mag's
Azn Empire
#407 - 2013-02-02 14:22:16 UTC
Grimpak wrote:
biggest innovation that Apple brought these last years was how can marketing win billions upon billions. Assemble something from hitech parts, and then slap an apple logo on it. there, an "innovative" overpriced product that people will want to buy because it has an apple logo.
Then create horrendous software to interface with it.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#408 - 2013-02-02 14:22:45 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Grimpak wrote:

apple maps! or whatever comical name that horrendous copycat of googlemaps is.

Mag's
Azn Empire
#409 - 2013-02-02 14:25:54 UTC
Grimpak wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Grimpak wrote:

apple maps! or whatever comical name that horrendous copycat of googlemaps is.
That was most certainly an 'Oh dear' moment. Lol

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#410 - 2013-02-02 14:30:02 UTC
a realistic comparison between macs and non-mac pc's would be Justin Bieber and Optimus Prime
Vexen Lyre
Doomheim
#411 - 2013-02-02 15:36:27 UTC
Kaivar Lancer wrote:
A 2D version of Eve would be nice, maybe an overhead view with bitmaps that overlap and scale according to their Z value. Nothing fancy, just something that'll allow us to login to Eve while we're on the train or whatever and do some stuff.

http://www.teamviewer.com

there's no AFK like meta-AFK!

Docked in Jita - Moon 4 - Caldari Navy Assembly Plant

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#412 - 2013-02-02 16:11:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
a super "light" skill queue-only app and/or desktop widget is more justified than ever. not just for player convenience, but relevance in mobile computing such as tablets and smartphones.

zero inventory management, contracts--nada. not even skill injects. purely skill queue management. updates would only be necessary after skill tree changes or additions/removals of skills (not labor intensive for CCP or app devs)

column on left: injected skills. only option available: add to skill queue
column on right: skill queue, only option available: remove from skill queue.

this one feature would have been enough to take the sting away from my and those other players' deployments

what am I missing: what is the reason we can't manage skills thru API... is there a vulnerability or exploit that would be opened? is it a concern over automation? (and is that enough of a reason to keep it from everyone? say automation happened. would an extended skill queue through second/third party apps be so bad?)
Aineko Macx
#413 - 2013-02-02 16:39:43 UTC
Hrothgar Nilsson wrote:
Ageck Kalenia wrote:
All this attention might suggest the future of EVE is rosy and bright, but consider:

- The future of traditional x86 and x64 PC architecture is increasingly vague. Laptops have been outselling desktop systems for years, but tablet sales are gaining exponentially. A whopping 122 million ARM-based tablets and smartphones sold in 2012.

I really think all of this talk about tablets/touchscreens replacing the PC/laptop is a bunch of hype. I believe the reality is is that desktops and laptops have reached the point of market saturation, and as the market has become saturated, existing PC/laptop has slowed.

There hasn't really been that much of a technological change in software that necessarily requires the replacement of a 2008 computer in 2013. Yet, on the other hand, there is extremely rapid turnover in ownership of smartphones - the typical person goes through several in the time a typical PC/laptop owner replaces their computer.

The entire cell phone industry heavily incentivizes the rapid, serial discardment of old phones and replacement with new ones.

So, in that regard, comparing smartphone to PC/laptop sales is a false comparison. It is really apples and oranges. On the spectrum between disposable and durable goods, smartphones tend toward the disposable end, while PCs/laptops tend toward the durable end. Something like 130 million cell phones are discarded each year in the US, whereas computers are discarded at about 10-15% that rate.

With tablets, they may be replacing the laptop for consumers with relatively minimal needs, but I'd say this segment of the consumer place are mostly not the type of people who were intensive gamers to begin with.

This man speaks truth.

Also analysts drooling over the growth rate of "casual gaming", decreeing the death of other forms. Ludicrous!
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#414 - 2013-02-02 16:43:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
I've had my iPhone 3GS for almost 3 years.

here's an idea: an exclusive EVE-capable phone or tablet, with some in-game capabilities such as inventory, skills, contracts, bills...........

would make some dinero, CCP, and would get me to replace my 3GS

I can't think of another MMO that would benefit so much from something like API interactivity, and has such extensive asset management gameplay.
Ageck Kalenia
Development Holdings
#415 - 2013-02-02 17:00:06 UTC
Merin Ryskin wrote:
And this is where your argument fails. You need a computer for work/school/etc so you will have a computer to play EVE on. Buying an iThing is something you do in addition to a real computer, not as a replacement for one. Unless of course you're the kind of person who only uses a computer to send email and play facebook games, in which case you aren't in EVE's target market anyway.

Quote:
We purists who sneer at "kid's games" like Angry Birds and Words With Friends are ignoring the fact that iOS is already the world's most popular gaming platform.

And there's a nice dishonest article. Of course the iWhatever is the most popular gaming platform, if you include people who spend five minutes a day playing a facebook game on their lunch break in the iWhatever customer base but only include "serious" gamers in the PC customer base (Valve's 40 million customers, for example). All you've demonstrated is that the "casual" game market is bigger than the "serious" game market, but that has absolutely nothing to do with what platform (or platforms) "serious" gamers are playing their games on.

Wrong. You NEEDED a PC for work/school/etc. Mobile devices are turning this logic inside out.

My girlfriend works full time and attends school part time. Her sole computer is a Galaxy Note 2. She takes notes in class, reads and listens to music on the bus, and video calls her friends. At home she simply connects a Bluetooth keyboard, keypad, and mouse. With an HDMI adapter it becomes a full-sized PC for assignments, web browsing, Netflix, and nearly anything else.

In other words, my girlfriend's personal computer fits in her pocket, adapting and connecting as she moves through her day. I've used it, and it not only works, but works well. This is the vision being demonstrated by everything from the Motorola Atrix to Ubuntu for Android to Project Glass. Serious R&D is flowing into mobile tech at the moment. Countless breakthroughs in connectivity, capacity, and interface are rendering traditional PCs obsolete.

It's also a bit conceited to arbitrarily label one gamer "casual" and another "serious". I loathe FarmVille as much as anyone, but in the future we are all just gamers. Yes, EVE is more complex than Temple Run and Gem Miner, just as it's more complex than Minesweeper and Pinball. The mobile and open-source platforms of the future will handle all of them equally well.

Linux deserves full and immediate official client support, but I'm not currently advocating for a full-blown Android or iOS client. The hardware clearly isn't there - yet. But it's high time CCP demonstrated some vision for EVE in the mobile space with a client for skill changes, communication, fitting, and trade. The "kneeboard" concept mentioned by another poster on this thread also sounds brilliant.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#416 - 2013-02-02 17:17:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
is there an MMO that has been ported to a tablet or phone? by your strong opinion of portables and this thread, I am led to believe there is... and that it is flourishing as a result.

as far as I know, the best ported PC-to-tablet games around are N64 and Playstation 1 emulators/roms

I don't mean to sound flippant by grouping tablets and phones--in the case of Apple, tablets and phones share the same processor.
Merin Ryskin
Peregrine Industries
#417 - 2013-02-03 08:36:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Merin Ryskin
Ageck Kalenia wrote:
At home she simply connects a Bluetooth keyboard, keypad, and mouse. With an HDMI adapter it becomes a full-sized PC for assignments, web browsing, Netflix, and nearly anything else.

So, let me get this straight: tablets are great because you can turn them into a PC.

Because that's exactly what you're admitting. To be productive with a tablet you have to remove the touchscreen interface and replace it with a mouse and keyboard, remove the tiny and awkwardly located screen and replace it with a full-size monitor, etc. You remove everything that defines a tablet/smartphone and turn it into a PC with low-end hardware specs. IOW, there will always be PCs in all the ways that matter (mouse/keyboard, decent hardware, etc) and your complaints about EVE becoming obsolete because it can't adapt to a touchscreen are nonsense.

Yes, there might be some technical details to change because the details of the CPU change (though let's not forget about the windows tablets/smartphones), but that's just the same old details software developers have always had to deal with. If CCP can port EVE to mac/linux platforms they can port EVE to the future iPC. But the game itself will remain exactly the same and adapt just fine.

Quote:
It's also a bit conceited to arbitrarily label one gamer "casual" and another "serious". I loathe FarmVille as much as anyone, but in the future we are all just gamers. Yes, EVE is more complex than Temple Run and Gem Miner, just as it's more complex than Minesweeper and Pinball. The mobile and open-source platforms of the future will handle all of them equally well.

You're missing the point entirely. Those labels are just for the sake of being able to talk about the two groups, they don't imply any kind of superiority/inferiority relationship. It's just a recognition of the simple fact that there are two aspects of the gaming market:

1) Casual gamers. People who play a few simple games as a way of killing time (facebook games on the bus, for example) and don't get very invested into gaming. It's the smartphone equivalent of the people who played solitaire on their work computer because it's 4:30 and they're tired of working.

2) Serious gamers. People who play complex games, invest lots of time and effort into them, define themselves as 'gamers', etc.

The article you quoted considered the sum of the two groups for purposes of defining how many people are "gamers" for the iWhatever market, but ONLY considered group #2 for purposes of defining the size of the PC market. It's absolutely insane (and dishonest) to consider Valve's subscriber base as representative of the PC numbers but then count everyone who ever downloaded a facebook game on the iWhatever. You either need to compare both groups for both platforms (and then the PC market gains a huge number of solitaire players), or only compare group #2 on each platform.

And of course it's even more dishonest to use the comparison to "prove" that PC gaming is moving to the iWhatever. The fact that people are playing facebook games on their iWhatever instead of solitaire on their PC doesn't have the slightest bit of impact on a game like EVE.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#418 - 2013-02-03 08:50:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
Merin Ryskin wrote:

2) Serious gamers. People who play complex games, invest lots of time and effort into them, define themselves as 'gamers', etc.

thanks but that was more perspective than I needed, and now I have too much self-awareness. ("all my friends are out and i'm here poasting on eve-o")
ashley Eoner
#419 - 2013-02-05 03:16:21 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:

Building has been plug and play for almost a couple decades now. SCSI terminators IRQs upper memory blocks and such have been a thing of the past from the user's standpoint since 98se.

The only special thing about an Apple motherboard is the TPM chip they put on it for the OS to work. You can easily get around it though hence all the hackintosh stuff floating around.

Ageck Kalenia wrote:
Wrong. You NEEDED a PC for work/school/etc. Mobile devices are turning this logic inside out.

My girlfriend works full time and attends school part time. Her sole computer is a Galaxy Note 2. She takes notes in class, reads and listens to music on the bus, and video calls her friends. At home she simply connects a Bluetooth keyboard, keypad, and mouse. With an HDMI adapter it becomes a full-sized PC for assignments, web browsing, Netflix, and nearly anything else.

In other words, my girlfriend's personal computer fits in her pocket, adapting and connecting as she moves through her day. I've used it, and it not only works, but works well. This is the vision being demonstrated by everything from the Motorola Atrix to Ubuntu for Android to Project Glass. Serious R&D is flowing into mobile tech at the moment. Countless breakthroughs in connectivity, capacity, and interface are rendering traditional PCs obsolete.

Linux deserves full and immediate official client support, but I'm not currently advocating for a full-blown Android or iOS client. The hardware clearly isn't there - yet. But it's high time CCP demonstrated some vision for EVE in the mobile space with a client for skill changes, communication, fitting, and trade. The "kneeboard" concept mentioned by another poster on this thread also sounds brilliant.
So basically what you're saying is she bought all the expensive parts of the computer without having the actual processing power , storage capability, reliability, etc of a real computer. I hope she's backing her stuff up to a real computer somewhere because if she loses the phone or has an accident with it she's going to be boned.

Arronicus
State War Academy
Caldari State
#420 - 2013-02-05 07:08:30 UTC
Ageck Kalenia wrote:
Mainstream news outlets, including Forbes, actually remarked on the game’s success despite its venerability and outdated subscription model.

Only thing this shows is that Forbes has their head up their ass, if they believe the subscription model for games is outdated. A lot of gamers, myself included, vastly prefer to pay a monthly rate, rather than be nickle and dime jewed, by 'free to play' (Most of the game, except you know, the parts that matter, or with a big handicap, unless you pay to play). To that end, many people like myself will NOT play free to play models, even though we will pay to sub multiple accounts in games like Eve.

Ageck Kalenia wrote:

All this attention might suggest the future of EVE is rosy and bright, but consider:

- The future of traditional x86 and x64 PC architecture is increasingly vague. Laptops have been outselling desktop systems for years, but tablet sales are gaining exponentially. A whopping 122 million ARM-based tablets and smartphones sold in 2012.

- Within two years, ARM devices will account for more than half of all personal computer sales.

- 97% of those devices will employ touch as their primary input. A full 50% will support gesture input and 10% will natively display stereoscopic 3D.

Eve relies on the gamer market. Tablets and smartphones, do not provide the quality or type of gaming that Eve fans, or similar pc gamers crave. Touch input is hopelessly inferior to mouse and keyboard, to the point that we will probably never, in my lifetime, see a decent Eve like game, or shooter even, on touch devices.

Ageck Kalenia wrote:

- The PC gaming industry has little appetite for Windows 8, as evidenced by leaders such as Valve Software.

Windows 8 is a ******* joke. Microsoft is going to lose a hell of a lot of money over that blunder, in terms of lost userbase, company investments, etc. Basing any sort of argument on the propogation of Windows 8, is therefore, equally stupid. Moot point.

Ageck Kalenia wrote:

But ARM and other mobile technologies are maturing fast, with multi-core processors, dedicated GPUs, and beautiful multi-touch displays claiming long-established PC territory, both in performance and sales. As our PCs age, we will replace them with touch-based multipurpose tablets, hybrid smartphones, and lord-knows-what other concoctions of techno-wizardry.

Pure, unadultered, Bull. Users who bought a PC for facebook, for twitter, for porn, or for uploading pictures, will switch to the products you listed. Those of us actually interested in playing games; (No, facebook mass-advertisement programs like farmville, mafia wars, and 'f2p' revenue machines like Evony and Travian are not worthy of being called games.) will continue to purchase desktop PCs.

What you are saying is equivelant to saying that as cooler and more functional bicycles come out, all the car users will ditch their aging vehicles for bicycles. The purpose served, while sometimes similar, or the same, still remains critically different in many degrees.

What hope does a full rewrite have?