These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How EVE Became Obsolete (And why CCP hasn’t noticed)

First post
Author
Kaivar Lancer
Doomheim
#381 - 2013-02-01 06:01:11 UTC
A 2D version of Eve would be nice, maybe an overhead view with bitmaps that overlap and scale according to their Z value. Nothing fancy, just something that'll allow us to login to Eve while we're on the train or whatever and do some stuff.
Atomos Darksun
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#382 - 2013-02-01 06:21:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Atomos Darksun
How many laptop sales happen because they have to replace their dead piece of ****? Desktops rarely die in comparison to laptops, and that should be considered.

I also have to add that using a laptop for any extended period of time is extremely uncomfortable. Arms scrunched together, looking down at the screen....unless some major technological revolution occurs, I don't ever see my main work/play platform being a laptop or any other mobile device. On that note, it will never be practical either; serious internet spaceship business requires serious hardware, which is simply the exact opposite of what you want on a mobile device.

The desktop isn't going anywhere. It will always be more reliable than its mobile counterparts and have better price/performance. Any serious business will continue to use them, and PC manufacturers haven't really cared about the consumer space in a while. (yeah, yeah, craptops, yada yada, definitely not targeted at businesses)

Oh, Apple you say? Proptip: It's why they're 10% marketshare and not 90%.

And Linux isn't going to advance into the consumer sphere for a long time. The developers are usually more concerned about puritanical open-source mantra than anything else (headlines: nvidia tries to give good native linux drivers, dogmatic open-source nuggets tell them to shove it up their ass). Ubuntu, arguably the most user-friendly distro has the most hilarious upgrade cycle that breaks things without fail every release. Seriously, the best Linux has to offer is nowhere near close enough to constitute a consumer product.
ashley Eoner
#383 - 2013-02-01 06:23:09 UTC
Ageck Kalenia wrote:
addelee wrote:
Considering PC sales were up 8% last quarter and Lenovo's profit rose 34% (source) I suspect the thread creator might want to check some facts, post some sources to those facts and not base this whole thing on his opinion and start a troll fest.

Last quarter was the holiday season! PC sales should have been up 30%. Lenovo's profits rose because they took market share from competitors, not because the traditional PC market grew.

What good are facts if you can't apply some logic?

30% according to who? That's like the perfect example of pulling a random number of your ass.

There's already over a billion PCs in use around the world. You think that market saturation might of started to occur?

87 million pre-made PCs (excluding macs) shipped second quarter 2012 alone. That doesn't even include people like me who build computers for themselves or others. The aftermarket for PC parts is gigantic.
Xen Solarus
Furious Destruction and Salvage
#384 - 2013-02-01 09:25:43 UTC
Most EvE players are of the older crowd. I still love the threads with people desperately clinging onto windows XP. I very much doubt EvE is going to be effected by the newer touch-screen tech coming out now, not for a long whiles. Becides, any player worth their salt doing anything remotely dangerous would be a complete moron to risk relying on touch-screen technology, assuming CCP even bother to make it possible to play EvE on such devices. I doubt CCP is going to reimburse your destroyed navy raven because you couldn't quite press that shield repper button. Shocked

I'm sure as the tech advances, so too will EvE, and eventually we'll see it possible to play it on a tablet. Though i don't think its required quickly, and certainly isn't making EvE "obsolete". You could make the same arguement with just about every game out there that is currently unplayable on a tablet. But regardless of how cool you might think Call of Duty, or Grand Theft Auto might be on a tablet, they'res always going to be people like me that will much perfer playing with a controller or a mouse and keyboard. I still think its more of a gimmick atm than an actual contender to traditional computers.

Post with your main, like a BOSS!

And no, i don't live in highsec.  As if that would make your opinion any less wrong.  

Merin Ryskin
Peregrine Industries
#385 - 2013-02-01 10:02:47 UTC
At least threads like this do a good job of showing who uses a computer for serious things, and who just plays facebook games all day. Anyone who has to do real work with their computer can take one look at an iWhatever and see that it's just a toy. No keyboard/mouse, limited hardware capabilities, tiny screen, can't type comfortably for long periods of time, etc. It's great for killing time when you're away from home, or checking your email while you're stuck in traffic, or other things that aren't very demanding. But that's all it is, it can supplement a PC, but not replace it.

So: PC gaming isn't going anywhere. Hardcore gaming will always be PC/console-focused, and the "well I've got a PC anyway, might as well play games on it" market is going to exist for the foreseeable future.
Bubanni
Corus Aerospace
#386 - 2013-02-01 10:06:54 UTC
All I want from eve is better multicore support (I have 12 cores, and I heard eve can only use 2-3) and 64bit so all my ram is useful

Supercap nerf - change ewar immunity https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=194759 Module activation delay! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1180934

Valleria Darkmoon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#387 - 2013-02-01 10:36:00 UTC
Demographics, look it up.

Reality has an almost infinite capacity to resist oversimplification.

Crumplecorn
Eve Cluster Explorations
#388 - 2013-02-01 11:41:42 UTC
10/10 OP, a 20 page thread on how no-one will ever buy a surround sound system again because headphones exist.

Witty Image - Stream

Not Liking this post hurts my RL feelings and will be considered harassment

Mr Kidd
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#389 - 2013-02-01 15:18:58 UTC
Ageck Kalenia wrote:
The numbers don't lie. The traditional PC is walking dead. It pains me to admit as much as anyone.

I spent $4,000 custom-building my last PC. But my next PC will cost perhaps half that money. It will run Linux, not Windows. And I will likely use it less than either my slate, my gesture-enabled television, or my cellphone. So will you, even if you don't believe me yet.

You're forgetting one thing...businesses. The business floor is still heavily populated with PC's. There's a reason for that: productivity. You're never going to get production levels from information services that is had now by touch screen devices. NEVER. The interface it too simplistic and that your input is also your screen too cumbersome. That PC sales have plateaued only means the PC market has matured. How much more processing power do you need to do the tasks you're doing now. There's been no revolution in interface design in decades and the technology isn't yet invented to do so. In fact, processing power, that we have so much excess, is being shared now between server and client further reducing the need to upgrade as frequently as we have.

The fact that tablet sales have taken off only means that the digital market is permeating other facets of life, not revolutionizing our work environments. And thus, it may indeed mean that the consumer market is changing but the business market, not so much. Therefore, the PC still has a long and useful life. Granted, consumers may find more portable devices than a desktop and something smaller than a laptop sufficient for their needs, many of us do not, using tablets and whatnot as an extension of our more powerful desktop.

Now, the internals may change. But then Eve is written in Python which is a platform independent language. CCP already has, although no longer maintained, a linux client. So, I'm not too worried about MS dumping their desktop OS for glorified PDA's.

Don't ban me, bro!

ashley Eoner
#390 - 2013-02-01 22:11:04 UTC
Xen Solarus wrote:
Most EvE players are of the older crowd. I still love the threads with people desperately clinging onto windows XP. I very much doubt EvE is going to be effected by the newer touch-screen tech coming out now, not for a long whiles. Becides, any player worth their salt doing anything remotely dangerous would be a complete moron to risk relying on touch-screen technology, assuming CCP even bother to make it possible to play EvE on such devices. I doubt CCP is going to reimburse your destroyed navy raven because you couldn't quite press that shield repper button. Shocked

I'm sure as the tech advances, so too will EvE, and eventually we'll see it possible to play it on a tablet. Though i don't think its required quickly, and certainly isn't making EvE "obsolete". You could make the same arguement with just about every game out there that is currently unplayable on a tablet. But regardless of how cool you might think Call of Duty, or Grand Theft Auto might be on a tablet, they'res always going to be people like me that will much perfer playing with a controller or a mouse and keyboard. I still think its more of a gimmick atm than an actual contender to traditional computers.
Hey now I've been running the same install of XP pro corp for at least 6 years now. I've migrated it across 4 different machines. Currently that install is part of a dual boot option on my media server system.

Ageck Kalenia
Development Holdings
#391 - 2013-02-02 00:44:01 UTC
Zhantii wrote:
You do realize that an ARM cpu can hardly do any of the things x86 cpus can, they are mainly made for low power requirments and a set system OS, even intel is realesing ULV cpus to improve the tablet market and ultrabook market.

And Linux is still the worse gaming OS out there, sure its used alot, but thats for devices like routers, servers, phones, etc etc. wish have not even close to the performance power of a x86.

And that Steam is releazing recoded native games for linux is becuase they are releasing a console called STEAM BOX, wish is gonna run a linux kernel and be the cheap version of gaming, basicly its a HTPC prebuilt for games that VALVE releases and ofc they will all be compatible, but game engines like the source and unreal is almost linux native thats why they could port games so fast, it hardly needs any recompiling.

So no ARM will not be the future and x86 will only grow bigger, with haswell around the corner using a very improved intergated GPU, notebooks and ultrabooks will be very powerfull and for devices like phones and tablets you have tegra 3 to thank^^

Cheers

ARM processors ALREADY do nearly all the things traditional CPUs do. The one current exception is heavy-duty gaming, but that is changing fast with products such as Tegra and Ouya moving mainstream. It's also worth noting that nVidia, Qualcomm, and TI are making great strides in ARM development, while x64 development has slowed dramatically at both Intel and AMD.

A good (though not perfect) analogy for what's happening is the 1950s automaking industry. Everyone believed heavy V-8 American cars were here to stay, and would only get bigger and better. Admittedly, V-8s never will disappear completely, and many of the most memorable cars ever built are V-8s. But traditional consumers haven't bought them since WWII; they remain a niche enthusiast market, fun and distinct, but costly and less efficient.

The traditional Windows PC reached its high-water mark a year or two ago. It won't vanish, particularly in desktop form, but consumers have already curbed their buying. Microsoft knows it and is desperately trying to reinvent it. Valve knows it and has all but abandoned ship. Google and Apple know it and are aggressively positioning Android and iOS to replace (yes, replace) Windows to average consumers.

I know most of us reading this are hardcore enthusiasts. But ask yourself these questions:
1) Did you buy your PC exclusively for gaming?
2) If you didn't need a computer for work, school, communication, etc, would you still buy one just to play EVE-Online?
Realistically, the "99%" who live on a fixed income have no finances, living space, or practical uses for desktop gaming PCs. They will buy a console like PlayStation, Wii, and Ouya. Increasingly, they'll game on the mobile device of their choice.

We purists who sneer at "kid's games" like Angry Birds and Words With Friends are ignoring the fact that iOS is already the world's most popular gaming platform. Those of us who hold dearly to our PCs will also pay dearly - for software and components no longer mass-produced or relevant to Joe consumer. ARM is the Volkswagen Beetle of our day, and Windows 8 is the Ford Edsel.

For the record, I never said EVE is dying. But I am saying it's lost relevancy as its target demographic narrows. The snobs here might consider that a good thing, but I think most of us, including CCP, would disagree.
Merin Ryskin
Peregrine Industries
#392 - 2013-02-02 02:43:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Merin Ryskin
Ageck Kalenia wrote:
2) If you didn't need a computer for work, school, communication, etc, would you still buy one just to play EVE-Online?

And this is where your argument fails. You need a computer for work/school/etc so you will have a computer to play EVE on. Buying an iThing is something you do in addition to a real computer, not as a replacement for one. Unless of course you're the kind of person who only uses a computer to send email and play facebook games, in which case you aren't in EVE's target market anyway.

Quote:
We purists who sneer at "kid's games" like Angry Birds and Words With Friends are ignoring the fact that iOS is already the world's most popular gaming platform.

And there's a nice dishonest article. Of course the iWhatever is the most popular gaming platform, if you include people who spend five minutes a day playing a facebook game on their lunch break in the iWhatever customer base but only include "serious" gamers in the PC customer base (Valve's 40 million customers, for example). All you've demonstrated is that the "casual" game market is bigger than the "serious" game market, but that has absolutely nothing to do with what platform (or platforms) "serious" gamers are playing their games on.
ashley Eoner
#393 - 2013-02-02 04:34:04 UTC  |  Edited by: ashley Eoner
Ageck Kalenia wrote:
Zhantii wrote:
You do realize that an ARM cpu can hardly do any of the things x86 cpus can, they are mainly made for low power requirments and a set system OS, even intel is realesing ULV cpus to improve the tablet market and ultrabook market.

And Linux is still the worse gaming OS out there, sure its used alot, but thats for devices like routers, servers, phones, etc etc. wish have not even close to the performance power of a x86.

And that Steam is releazing recoded native games for linux is becuase they are releasing a console called STEAM BOX, wish is gonna run a linux kernel and be the cheap version of gaming, basicly its a HTPC prebuilt for games that VALVE releases and ofc they will all be compatible, but game engines like the source and unreal is almost linux native thats why they could port games so fast, it hardly needs any recompiling.

So no ARM will not be the future and x86 will only grow bigger, with haswell around the corner using a very improved intergated GPU, notebooks and ultrabooks will be very powerfull and for devices like phones and tablets you have tegra 3 to thank^^

Cheers

ARM processors ALREADY do nearly all the things traditional CPUs do. The one current exception is heavy-duty gaming, but that is changing fast with products such as Tegra and Ouya moving mainstream. It's also worth noting that nVidia, Qualcomm, and TI are making great strides in ARM development, while x64 development has slowed dramatically at both Intel and AMD.

A good (though not perfect) analogy for what's happening is the 1950s automaking industry. Everyone believed heavy V-8 American cars were here to stay, and would only get bigger and better. Admittedly, V-8s never will disappear completely, and many of the most memorable cars ever built are V-8s. But traditional consumers haven't bought them since WWII; they remain a niche enthusiast market, fun and distinct, but costly and less efficient.

The traditional Windows PC reached its high-water mark a year or two ago. It won't vanish, particularly in desktop form, but consumers have already curbed their buying. Microsoft knows it and is desperately trying to reinvent it. Valve knows it and has all but abandoned ship. Google and Apple know it and are aggressively positioning Android and iOS to replace (yes, replace) Windows to average consumers.

I know most of us reading this are hardcore enthusiasts. But ask yourself these questions:
1) Did you buy your PC exclusively for gaming?
Realistically, the "99%" who live on a fixed income have no finances, living space, or practical uses for desktop gaming PCs. They will buy a console like PlayStation, Wii, and Ouya. Increasingly, they'll game on the mobile device of their choice.

We purists who sneer at "kid's games" like Angry Birds and Words With Friends are ignoring the fact that iOS is already the world's most popular gaming platform. Those of us who hold dearly to our PCs will also pay dearly - for software and components no longer mass-produced or relevant to Joe consumer. ARM is the Volkswagen Beetle of our day, and Windows 8 is the Ford Edsel.

For the record, I never said EVE is dying. But I am saying it's lost relevancy as its target demographic narrows. The snobs here might consider that a good thing, but I think most of us, including CCP, would disagree.
Your automobile knowledge is severely lacking. ALmost every single sports car made in America uses a v8. A lot of the popular SUV models out there use V8s and the truck market itself is full of V8s (including offerings from Toyota and such). The V8 might not be as popular as ever but the straight 6 which was the V8s competitor in the 50s is basically gone.

The 99% will continue to buy PCs to do work on because PCs will still give the biggest bang for the buck.

Your cluelessness of the PC market is only matched by your cluelessness of the Automobile market..

EDIT : I do find it funny to see the RISC architecture coming back after Apple abandoned it years ago.
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#394 - 2013-02-02 10:03:40 UTC
ashley Eoner wrote:
The V8 might not be as popular as ever but the straight 6 which was the V8s competitor in the 50s is basically gone.

well, the only reason why the L6 engine is mostly gone is because of the transition to front wheel drive. very hard to slam a straight-6 under the front hood in a way that favours FWD without making the car huge. Volvo does it with the T6, but I think it's the only one, and it only does on the bigger cars they have that have AWD.

Merc went from L6 to V6 because of that reason. package size, and VW tried to make a hybrid of sorts with the creation of the VR6, which is basically the hellspawn of a V6 and a L6.

porsche still retains the boxer-6, and BMW still uses L6 since forever due to how smooth the engine is and the fact that they are still all RWD (merc isn't anymore btw, since the inception of the A-class and B-class), altho they are starting to go FWD later this year with the new inline3 in their 1-series lineup, and I think their new 2-series.

either way, I prefer V12 to V8's mostly because of their good power and perfect balance.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#395 - 2013-02-02 10:05:03 UTC
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#396 - 2013-02-02 10:15:34 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
how the * did the conversation turn to engines

because everything was said and done and people needed the thread to go on?

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#397 - 2013-02-02 10:20:18 UTC
EVE hasn't become obsolete. what I sense is CCP has spent its resources on the meta game and failed to innovate.
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#398 - 2013-02-02 10:21:12 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
EVE hasn't become obsolete. what I sense is CCP has spent its resources on the meta game and failed to innovate.

yay thread back on track.

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#399 - 2013-02-02 10:22:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
too much time looking at how to improve a game from 2003, instead of making it a game for the future

think outside the sandbox
Kalle Demos
Ironic Corp Name
#400 - 2013-02-02 10:38:07 UTC
20 pages and no one mentions the following

'size limits' on apps
playing games with a wireless connection is terrible most of the time
currently only new Windows 8 desktops support a screen big enough to manage MMO UI, everything else is too small, are you really going to want to play a game where you have one hand in the air for hours?

Also tablets and Apple became popular because people considered 'Windows' as really difficult to understand, can you imagine these people using Linux LMAO

The only thing worse than an Apple fanboi is a Linux fanboi :facepalm: