These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Any point...

First post
Author
Salpad
Carebears with Attitude
#21 - 2011-10-11 16:43:04 UTC
Louis deGuerre wrote:
You can train for a year to max everything for a specific ship+fit and be 20% better than a new guy who trained for a month./

QFT.

The OP just has to train a large number of skillz to level 3 (or sometimes even level 2 is enough) to get started. Each such skill might take a day, and as long as he doesn't want to get into cruiser hulls or use medium güns or larger, there are no steep prerequisites. So one can become a reasonble pilot in half a month, and that first half month can be well spent flying level 1 and 2 missions, and doing a little belt ratting, to learn the interface.
Alxea
Unstable Pirate Sharks Of The Damed Sea
#22 - 2011-10-11 21:28:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Alxea
Beorn Darkstar wrote:
in playing eve this late in the games life? Forum is full of moaning and crying post, some post say eve is dying and other say eve is losing players. I just started eve yesterday and love it, but I see it will require a lot time to actually get to the enjoyable parts. Basically I don't want to board a sinking ship. Do you guys see eve lasting for a few more years? I'm looking for the long haul. Anyway, thanks for your time. Hope I didn't feed the trolls too much.

Eve is not dieing or loseing players, its gaining more all the time. Trolls will just be trolls. Don't listen or believe everything you hear. There are a lot of alts who don't use their mains and cry about super carrier nerfs and how it killed their god like status in the game. So now that they can die like the rest of us, they just mad they are now killable. Pretty much explains all the crying. Don't worry about it. Play the game, enjoy it, it is going to be around for many decades to come.

There are between 300,000 and 400,000 subscribed, 40,000 to 50,000 logged in at the same time 23/7. Some time ago there was a rant about people unsubbing, was just a bunch of alts about 1000 fake unsubbing, but posting on the forums, forum warrioring all the live long day once apon a time. Thousands of new people come and play eve all the time. I see a lot of new players and old.
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#23 - 2011-10-11 22:01:28 UTC
Alxea wrote:
Beorn Darkstar wrote:
in playing eve this late in the games life? Forum is full of moaning and crying post, some post say eve is dying and other say eve is losing players. I just started eve yesterday and love it, but I see it will require a lot time to actually get to the enjoyable parts. Basically I don't want to board a sinking ship. Do you guys see eve lasting for a few more years? I'm looking for the long haul. Anyway, thanks for your time. Hope I didn't feed the trolls too much.

Eve is not dieing or loseing players, its gaining more all the time. Trolls will just be trolls. Don't listen or believe everything you hear. There are a lot of alts who don't use their mains and cry about super carrier nerfs and how it killed their god like status in the game. So now that they can die like the rest of us, they just mad they are now killable. Pretty much explains all the crying. Don't worry about it. Play the game, enjoy it, it is going to be around for many decades to come.

There are between 300,000 and 400,000 subscribed, 40,000 to 50,000 logged in at the same time 23/7. Some time ago there was a rant about people unsubbing, was just a bunch of alts about 1000 fake unsubbing, but posting on the forums, forum warrioring all the live long day once apon a time. Thousands of new people come and play eve all the time. I see a lot of new players and old.

Only one answer to that: +1

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Jennifer Starling
Imperial Navy Forum Patrol
#24 - 2011-10-11 22:17:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Jennifer Starling
Beorn Darkstar wrote:

I find this question a bit hard to answer.

The downside of EVE in my personal opinion is that it's full of vets. It's top heavy. Everything has been seen and done and explored and conquered already. Every piece of 0.0 space is occupied, traders have perfected their spreadsheets and it doesn't look like EVE is going to get really revolutionary changes. For example: next "expansion" is mostly about re-balancing, not really any "new" content. And yes, I think EVE would thrive more if there was a second server where people could start from scratch.

Also EVE has its flaws: personally I think almost everything is unneccessarily slow and there's hardly anything that caters casual players that want to jump into action. Finding PvP targets can be quite tedious and you may well end up having no fights after looking around in lowsec for hours. Gettting a bit versatile and well-skilled for anything bigger than a T1 (battle)cruiser takes months, if not years.

That said, the world of EVE is quite extensive and it's kind of fun to get to know how things work and try things out, making money, trying out new tactics. Fights can be exciting if you find one. Your first wormhole or gate camp or fight is quite a thrill. It also depends on what you like and the people you meet. It will definitely keep you amused for a while.
Alxea wrote:

I think it's about 100,000 subscribed with on average 3 accounts each?
Look at this, especially questions 5. and 13.
Jennifer Starling
Imperial Navy Forum Patrol
#25 - 2011-10-11 22:26:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Jennifer Starling
Louis deGuerre wrote:
You can train for a year to max everything for a specific ship+fit and be 20% better than a new guy who trained for a month./

Not really. Sometimes I see players in for 3-4 months not even doing half the damage of my battlecruiser in a battleship.
Implants, ship bonus, RoF bonus, DPS bonus, T2 .. it all adds up.
Add to that more speed, shield, armor, hull, cap recharge ..
J'Poll
Caldari State
#26 - 2011-10-11 23:07:57 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
Jennifer Starling wrote:
I think it's about 100,000 subscribed with on average 3 accounts each?
Look at this, especially questions 5. and 13.

Have you also looked at the number of people that voted, just over 400 so that isn't even near enough to say the other part of the 100.000+ players have to be like that.

Also I don't think a 2nd server will benefit for a couple of reasons. The first reason: vets/scammers/griefers will move there. Also being on 1 server is one of the main differences that makes EVE 'better' then any other MMO like (BOHICA Blizzard) WoW. I like the part where there is the butterfly effect, so every action by any player (even if it's very small) will have effect. Also being in 1 server with vets helped me alot when I was a newb, loads of people tought me how stuff worked etc.

If you can't find what you are looking for, search harder as it will be somewhere around the EVE universe.

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Aston Bradley
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2011-10-12 06:00:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Aston Bradley
Jennifer Starling wrote:

Also EVE has its flaws: personally I think almost everything is unneccessarily slow and there's hardly anything that caters casual players that want to jump into action. Finding PvP targets can be quite tedious and you may well end up having no fights after looking around in lowsec for hours. Gettting a bit versatile and well-skilled for anything bigger than a T1 (battle)cruiser takes months, if not years.

True, but it's better this way. I compare it to fishing. Part of the fun is waiting for something to bite. If you get a fish 2 seconds after you drop your line, there is not excitment. I never underdstood does who fish in artifical farm pools. Sure sometimes you won't catch anything. But on the other hand, this lack of abondance makes each catch more enjoyable.

This is one of the things that sets EvE appart from other MMo's. Death has consequences (Not as much as it used to but still), so players think twice before engaging a target. You can "hunt" in eve, while other MMO's only offer brainless brawler fights.

But yes, it's something that can turn off new players that want quick action.

Jennifer Starling wrote:
The downside of EVE in my personal opinion is that it's full of vets. It's top heavy. Everything has been seen and done and explored and conquered already. Every piece of 0.0 space is occupied, traders have perfected their spreadsheets and it doesn't look like EVE is going to get really revolutionary changes. For example: next "expansion" is mostly about re-balancing, not really any "new" content. And yes, I think EVE would thrive more if there was a second server where people could start from scratch.

Yep, that's one of the biggest issues for. It's saturated. Market still offers some opportunities, but 0.0 is simply governed by Russian corps for the most part. It's more of a limitation to new corporations honeslty. The entry barrier for a new corporation is just way to high. You have vet corporations that just won't let you in. Qs q plqyer, you cqn just join one of those vet corporations.

[i]FiS should be the priority, but WiS should not be burried!

Don't encourage CCP to make empty promises or Incarna will happen again![/i]

J'Poll
Caldari State
#28 - 2011-10-12 09:51:35 UTC
I agree that null-sec is just saturated. Let's hope CCP just found another jumpgate to an entire new region of null-sec or make it more easy for people to aquire null-sec space for themself.

As for markets, they seem to be saturated but if you are a hardcore industry/trader you will get in there. Just try to play the market so you will make profit while your stuff is still being sold below the other traders prices. That's the fun part of the market imo, it takes a bit of effort to get in them and make ISK.

I totally agree with EVE isn't good for a new player who just want to jump into the action from day one. EVE is all about 'long term' planning etc. there isn't much stuff that will let you just jump into the action, even simple lvl 1 missions as a new player require some degree of research about how missions work (triggers, tanking of rat damage etc).

Empl Tash'cran
Sparkle Motion.
#29 - 2011-10-12 21:13:16 UTC
Having goals helps a lot. Not all skills are applicable to all ships at all times. You can train for 13days to get Frigate V, but it won't matter one bit in your Brutix.

This character has 1.3mil SP. I then *stopped* training it as it was complete. On a particular fit that I like to fly, setting EFT from this characters skills, to "All level 5" (perfect) will increase my DPS by 11% and my EHP by 5%.

This character started PVP at 15 days old, and started getting kills at 18 days old.

Yes, this is obviously an alt ... but the points of my argument remain; the barriers for entry for any one particular thing are quite low, the barrier to do all things, is high.
Vetruvius Valinor
Doomheim
#30 - 2011-10-12 23:36:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Vetruvius Valinor
Salpad wrote:
Louis deGuerre wrote:

QFT.

The OP just has to train a large number of skillz to level 3 (or sometimes even level 2 is enough) to get started. Each such skill might take a day, and as long as he doesn't want to get into cruiser hulls or use medium güns or larger, there are no steep prerequisites. So one can become a reasonble pilot in half a month, and that first half month can be well spent flying level 1 and 2 missions, and doing a little belt ratting, to learn the interface.

I got into Cruisers in 3 days. Even trained some skills to make mine decent. Of course I'll train more but it only takes about a week to become good at a cruiser, in a month you should be great, a few months you should have all the skills you need trained and be the best you can be in a cruiser; barring personal skill and understanding of course.
Herping yourDerp
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#31 - 2011-10-13 05:41:59 UTC
eve won't die until CCP pulls a NGE like star wars galaxies did...
if you dont know star wars galaxies was an amazing MMO that was deep, sony made an expansion that made it a wow clone

everyone quit
no one new joined

CCP almost did just this and there was a player riot in the 2 major trade hubs, CCP reversed many of the things they said that might happen, so for now EVE is worth it.

the reason u see lots of whining, is people like to express what is wrong, there is lots wrong with eve, but also lots of things are right.

EVE for example is the only mmo i have ever seen where smaller can be better, in wow a lvl 20 item will be worthless, in eve, that frigate still has a purpose and can be used correctly and get kills.

anyways... for now, eve is fine.. try it, try to get into a friendly corp that helps you, good luck.
Aston Bradley
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2011-10-14 07:06:14 UTC
Herping yourDerp wrote:
eve won't die until CCP pulls a NGE like star wars galaxies did...
if you dont know star wars galaxies was an amazing MMO that was deep, sony made an expansion that made it a wow clone

everyone quit
no one new joined

QFT

But i i will admit that i am actually looking forward to SWTOR. Even if in it's core it is a enhanced wow clone with lightsabers.

[i]FiS should be the priority, but WiS should not be burried!

Don't encourage CCP to make empty promises or Incarna will happen again![/i]

David Grogan
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2011-10-14 13:34:26 UTC  |  Edited by: David Grogan
CCP Fallout wrote:
Beorn Darkstar wrote:
I see it will require a lot time to actually get to the enjoyable parts.

I'd like to address this part of your post; player's can attest to what they like/dislike about the game, and I would just be seen as selling it to you :D

But for me to address it, I'm wondering what are the enjoyable parts to you? There's a tremendous amount that one can do with EVE from the start that might not be obvious to someone new to New Eden :)

Dont get complacent CCP............. 2 years of neglect of eve online because of WOD and Dust 514 has seen a sizeable drop in subs.

Winter Expansion is not all that much of an expansion but rather a large patch to fix some of the crappy mistakes ye made over the last few years.

While Dust 514 might end up being successful.... WOD i doubt will be that successful.......... here your competing with too many similar games such as wow, star wars, second life & more noticeably free vampire mmorpg's called Reign of Blood & Immortal Night which both use the pay2win micro transaction model

Everytime you buy something that says "made in china" you are helping the rising unemployment in your own country unless you are from china, Buy locally produced goods and help create more jobs.

Pixxie Twilight
#34 - 2011-10-23 01:49:35 UTC
Beorn Darkstar wrote:

I came to Eve because I saw Incarna footage on youtube, plus I wanted to see if I was smart enough. Lol. I'd tried to get into Eve a couple of times before this Incarna phase, but it was too textbooky for me at that time. The New Player experience felt better this time around.

To start, I enjoyed Eve because it was so different from the other MMOs I've played - you don't have to fight and raid all the time, there's variety, trading, industry, real tension because the PvP can happen all over the place without prior consent. Those weren't around in my last MMO (DDO which I played since 2006). I think Eve is a very fresh take on the MMO concept, and the whole sandbox thing makes the players quite interesting. Re the more realistic PvP, since when does a bad guy say excuse me can I mug you now? :P

Getting into a new player corp that trains you might be okay to get your feet wet, but to escalate the fun factor, after a while join a corp in which the veterans let you participate in what they're doing. The recruitment thread is a good place to window shop corps. An active corp with a good number of vets is when the real fun comes alive. Just my opinion. And have patience, training can take a while, I'm getting a jump clone soon, and then I'll have a safe character to put my training implants on. ;)

Good luck!

Pixxie
>^^<

[b]~~~ NEW PLAYER PODCAST ~  PIXXIE'S EVE ONLINE PODCAST ~~~ Latest Episode EPISODE 10*SWTOR, DIABLO 3, Inferno, HULKAGEDDON* ~~~~~~~~  On iTunes and at http://pixxietwilight.podbean.com/ ~~~~~~~~[/b]

Avon
#35 - 2011-10-24 22:59:36 UTC
Eve has been dying since 2003.
Each year more and more people claim this.
Long may those numbers increase.

People ***** and moan because they are so attached to the game, it is a good sign.
When the moaning stops, that's when Eve is in trouble.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#36 - 2011-10-24 23:06:26 UTC
Jennifer Starling wrote:
Louis deGuerre wrote:

Not really. Sometimes I see players in for 3-4 months not even doing half the damage of my battlecruiser in a battleship.

The difference between one character with all skills +4 vs the other with all skills +5 will be 5% to 10%. That the other guy wasn't using implants (or was using missile implants while flying a laser boat), or didn't know to use tracking enhancers instead of heat sinks is a different argument to SP equality.
J'Poll
Caldari State
#37 - 2011-10-25 09:43:06 UTC
Avon wrote:
Eve has been dying since 2003.
Each year more and more people claim this.
Long may those numbers increase.

People ***** and moan because they are so attached to the game, it is a good sign.
When the moaning stops, that's when Eve is in trouble.

Again just a +1. This is totally true, people who like the game will moan when things aren't done well.

Also there are loads of scammers that try to trick you with the "I'm quiting EVE, buy my stuff for 1 trit"-scam. So be aware of those.

Signal11th
#38 - 2011-10-26 10:50:10 UTC
Beorn Darkstar wrote:

lol people have always moaned on the forums since the forums conception, take no heed of us "forum warriors" we are usually uptight bittervets that like complaining.

If you ingnore the usual crap on the forums they can actually be a good place for information and help.

I;ve been playing for a few years now and like any game there are issues but this spaceship is definately not sinking, it's a great game!

God Said "Come Forth and receive eternal life!" I came fifth and won a toaster!

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#39 - 2011-10-27 22:45:21 UTC
Beorn Darkstar wrote:

EVE has been dying since 2004.

No really, you can search the old forums and find "EVE is dying" posts dating from then.

The last 18 months has seen deep concern about the direction EVE was headed in, but these last few weeks have seen a significant change in direction. I personally am feeling a lot more confident.

Additionally, most of the problems that are complained about are of little direct concern to a brand new player. What does the supercap nerf matter to you? It doesn't.

If you love EVE, then the best thing to do is to sub up; that's what will help ensure that it's still going in another 8 years.

Even in the worst case, EVE will be here for quite a while - SWG lasted almost 8 years after the infamous NGE, and nothing nearly as bad as that has happened to EVE yet.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Velicitia
XS Tech
#40 - 2011-10-27 23:58:50 UTC
Jennifer Starling wrote:
Louis deGuerre wrote:

no, really. level 4-5 generally takes 14-30 days. You get a 5-10% boost from level 4-5...

Whilst the "20% difference" is potentially lower than the actual number, but I wouldn't imagine that it's much higher than 33% or so.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Previous page123Next page