These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Trying to figure EVE out. Is it meant to be played 1-2 hours a day but no more?

First post
Author
Dasola
New Edens Freeports
#21 - 2013-01-28 20:57:26 UTC
Aslong time eve player, i can say this:
You can play eve as much or as little as you want. When my addiction was at its worse, i was paying easy 10 hours a day, even more on weekends.. If i was not working, i wasprobably in eve....
Now years later i play on average just 2-3hours a day.

Dont worry about skills, what ever you want to do in eve, theres only limited skill set on that huge tree that helps on spicific task. Its more important for you to learn how eve works. The real gameing skill. Thats what turns 2 day old alt character to killing machine.

We are Minmatar, Our ship are made of scraps, but look what our scraps can do...

Usagi Toshiro
Null Tax Crew
#22 - 2013-01-28 21:02:09 UTC
I work a full time day job and have a family. I play 1-3 hours a night most nights after the kid is in bed. I still find EVE fulfilling. You set your own pace in EVE. Some activities are time intensive some are set and forget. All depends on your fancy.

Cheers and welcome to New Eden!

Trolls are like stray cats. If you feed them they multiply. Please do not  feed the trolls.

Skeln Thargensen
Doomheim
#23 - 2013-01-28 21:07:12 UTC
what everyone else said.

and if you get frustrated at the skill training time then log out. Or try and time the week long + skills to coincide with leaving for a lovely holiday somewhere.

forums.  serious business.

Leetha Layne
#24 - 2013-01-28 21:11:06 UTC
For many reasons, EVE is a different mindset than other MMOS. You will get the feel for it fairly quickly.
Rebecha Pucontis
Doomheim
#25 - 2013-01-28 21:43:17 UTC
Caldari Citizen 20120308 wrote:
Mag's wrote:

The main thing to remember, is that player skillz are just as, if not more important as skills are. Take the time to learn the game while you build up the required extra skill sets.

Edit: Oh and welcome to Eve. Cool

How is player's skill just as important as sp. What skill is involved in Planetary interaction? What skill is involved in hauling goods from one station to another. If it's the pvp aspect, maybe.

To the Op's question, don't rmember much when I first started other than plopping some skills into queue and logging. Did do a few missions here and there but didn't play long starting out. Granted they did improve on the introduction for new players and the tutorials so you might want to check that out.

What a load of rubbish from this guy. There are plenty of things you can do with little or no skills. Ninja salvaging is an obvious one, but there is much much more. An active corp will also have many many uses for a new upcoming player, particularly with the new buff to the tier one frigates.

And to say Planetary Interaction required little skill just shows you really do know nothing about what you are talking about, a new player could spend weeks learning how to maximise the output from the planets which they have set their colonies up at.
Vera Algaert
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2013-01-28 21:45:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Vera Algaert
Cyrus Zane wrote:
I am brand new and I have played many MMOs and they are about progression. It seems like skill training is slow, is this game meant to be played maybe 1 hour a day or so you can train and set queues and log?

Just trying to figure the game out.

In EVE ISK is a lot more useful than currency is in most other MMOs - most notably you can use it to buy game time and complete characters (both from other players only, not from ccp directly).

in practice you can always find a use for "more ISK" (even if it is saving up for that 100m SP character you wish you had) and you will usually find a way to convert "more time spent playing" into "more isk"

so the grind is very much there if you want to play EVE that way

Not Politically Correct
Doomheim
#27 - 2013-01-28 21:59:11 UTC
Cyrus Zane wrote:
I am brand new and I have played many MMOs and they are about progression. It seems like skill training is slow, is this game meant to be played maybe 1 hour a day or so you can train and set queues and log?

Tutorials are a grind, but you need to do them. After that? Yes, it takes a few minutes for the lower level skills to complete. After that? You have to work for what you want. Kind of like RL, isn't it?
Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#28 - 2013-01-28 22:02:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Corey Fumimasa
There is stuff to do all day every day at any skill level; from 10 minutes check your PI and skills, to 4 hours playing with different fits and ships, to meeting people and taking notes and learning the lore and history of New Eden both in terms of fiction and in relation to the real events that have happened over these past 10 years.

Don't fall into the trap of playing Eve like other MMO's. There are many score boards in Eve, if you want that sort of thing. Or you can make your own. But don't expect the game to pat you on the back and say "good job! You win!" That is up to you to decide.

Challenge other noobs to race to the Eve Gate, or to the outer rim. Play double up ISK games where you give someone 10 ISK and they can double it and send it back or keep it. I've lost millions on that game and learned a lot about the people here. Pretend you are a scout for suicide pirates and bump ships out of align while demanding ransom.

Go to lowsec and nullsec! Its free to get destroyed for a while, take advantage of that. Learn first hand what a disco camp is, and why pirates travel in pods, and the relationship between scan resolution and time to warp. Learn how to use your D-scan, that is the same no matter how many SP you have.

There's a youtube series by a guy named Drogres, called "lets play eve online" great stuff there. Also watch "Clear Skies"

Welcome to Eve.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#29 - 2013-01-28 22:07:51 UTC
Destination SkillQueue wrote:
Dewa Cinta wrote:

Dewa Cinta wrote:

How is player's skill just as important as sp. What skill is involved in Planetary interaction? What skill is involved in hauling goods from one station to another. If it's the pvp aspect, maybe.

Maybe the fact that you need to actually set up the planetary systems?

Thank goodness for Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKnObxB9XCs

Cool, how did you get a youtube video to set up your PI for you? Please teach.

Perhaps he thinks, that player skills that are taught don't count as player skills for some odd reason.

"This video showed me how to solo 5 battleships with an Ishkur. That means soloing 5 battleships with an Ishkur isn't hard, right?"

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#30 - 2013-01-28 22:10:11 UTC
Anyway, the best part about EVE's long skill training is that sense of accomplishment when you're finally able to do something new and fun.

I just started flying dictors after finally finishing propulsion jamming 5, and in battle they're a lot of fun to fly, trying to stay alive and yet keep the enemy fleet trapped.

Jame Jarl Retief
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#31 - 2013-01-28 22:26:15 UTC
Cyrus Zane wrote:

No, it's not meant to be played 1hr a day. It's meant not to be played at all.

You pay CCP the $15/month.
You log in and queue a skill.
You log off.
You log back in and queue next skill.
Repeat for a few years.

After you've done that, you can actually start playing the game.

Seriously though, this game is very, very slow. Insanely slow in fact. Glacial. It is not the kind of game where you can log in for 10 mins when you have free time and have some meaningful gameplay done.

People who tell you skillpoints don't matter probably have been playing so long that they forgot what it's like to have NO SKILLS at all (as a new character). When literally everything needs to be trained, and that training, a few hours each, quickly adds up to months of training where you are essentially hamstrung by your low SP. However, personally I feel at 4-6 million SP mark (3+ months of training) you can reasonably start throwing your weight around in-game. Until then, you're fodder. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise - they want you...as fodder...for themselves.

Don't trust anyone. And always observe the 11th commandment: "Do Onto Others, Before They Do Onto You".

Welcome to Eve!
Not Politically Correct
Doomheim
#32 - 2013-01-28 22:32:09 UTC
I have a character who needs 287 days of training to be an FC - E. She will never be an FC - E without the training. Put on your 'big boy pants' and go for it.
Aralieus
Shadowbane Syndicate
#33 - 2013-01-28 23:30:29 UTC
Super spikinator wrote:
Mag's wrote:

The main thing to remember, is that player skillz are just as, if not more important as skills are. Take the time to learn the game while you build up the required extra skill sets.

Edit: Oh and welcome to Eve. Cool

To the Op's question, don't rmember much when I first started other than plopping some skills into queue and logging. Did do a few missions here and there but didn't play long starting out. Granted they did improve on the introduction for new players and the tutorials so you might want to check that out.

cool, so I'm just going to haul plex in a shuttle out of jita through the fastest route to a system in lowsec to sell to a station where there is a guy who is also selling plex for 10% less than I am even though there is a buy order for 10% more than the regional average. I mean who sells something lower but has a buy order for higher, does he hate money?

I have a strong suspicion you will be learning about Eve's harshness in the near future Lol

Oderint Dum Metuant

Rebecha Pucontis
Doomheim
#34 - 2013-01-28 23:48:39 UTC
Not Politically Correct wrote:
I have a character who needs 287 days of training to be an FC - E. She will never be an FC - E without the training. Put on your 'big boy pants' and go for it.

You can FC in a cloaked frigate. In game skills have nothing to do with being a good FC. Perhaps your thinking about being a fleet booster which is a lot different.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#35 - 2013-01-28 23:55:01 UTC
Jame Jarl Retief wrote:
People who tell you skillpoints don't matter probably have been playing so long that they forgot what it's like to have NO SKILLS at all (as a new character).

Uh no, we're pointing out that there's a distinct difference between skillpoints and skills.

Someone could have 40 million SP and be absolutely useless for flying even T1 frigates, and someone else could have 15 million SP and be an excellent T3 pilot.

Spurty
#36 - 2013-01-29 00:05:12 UTC
EVE doesn't care if you're unemployed, unwashed student or single mother with two jobs.

You more or less level at the same speed

World / Universe is better for it

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Not Politically Correct
Doomheim
#37 - 2013-01-29 00:26:08 UTC
Rebecha Pucontis wrote:
Not Politically Correct wrote:

You can FC in a cloaked frigate. In game skills have nothing to do with being a good FC. Perhaps your thinking about being a fleet booster which is a lot different.

What do you think FC - E means? I'm almost interested.
Balthisus Filtch
RISE Inc.
#38 - 2013-01-29 00:46:14 UTC
You can play as much or as little as you like.

Find your own balance and don't listen to what any of us say :)

The game is quite tough and is renowned for having a steep learning curve. Try not to let that put you off.
Ildryn
IDLE INTENTIONS
#39 - 2013-01-29 00:48:22 UTC
Dewa Cinta wrote:
If you are lost try joining EvE University, it is a player-made corp in the game dedicated to helping new players out.

Good luck trying to join. Screening process takes a week with a written application and voice chat with someone. Next thing you know you're getting a call from the CIA's secret service.

Which is actually a good thing. Because a lot of corps get theives/corp killers because they did not do some simple background checking.
Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#40 - 2013-01-29 04:17:15 UTC
Regular dayjob here, I simply can't play for hours on end. During the week maybe 3-4 hours on a lazy evening, but I can have the client open all weekend sometimes. It's a fine balance between my IRL schedule and the developments in Eve. Don't tell my boss I browse dotlan during work hours sometimes! Big smile
Previous page123Next page