These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Trying to figure EVE out. Is it meant to be played 1-2 hours a day but no more?

First post
Author
Cyrus Zane
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-01-28 18:40:00 UTC
I am brand new and I have played many MMOs and they are about progression. It seems like skill training is slow, is this game meant to be played maybe 1 hour a day or so you can train and set queues and log?

Just trying to figure the game out.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#2 - 2013-01-28 18:50:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Mag's
Some may think you need to play it as such. But there are many aspects of eve, that early skill sets can easily be accomplished with.

The main thing to remember, is that player skillz are just as, if not more important as skills are. Take the time to learn the game while you build up the required extra skill sets.

Edit: Oh and welcome to Eve. Cool

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#3 - 2013-01-28 18:58:30 UTC
skill training should not influence your gameplay. Its just something which runs in the background. If all you do is to wait for your skills to complete you will have a very bad eve experience and probably quit.

Figure out what you want to do as spaceship pilot and do it, if you can't do it right now find a corp which can help with it. But do not wait for your skills to catch up.

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Vaju Enki
Secular Wisdom
#4 - 2013-01-28 18:58:34 UTC
You can play EvE 20 hours a day, you can play 1 hour every month.

It's up to you.

The Tears Must Flow

Caldari Citizen 20120308
Doomheim
#5 - 2013-01-28 19:02:10 UTC
Mag's wrote:

The main thing to remember, is that player skillz are just as, if not more important as skills are. Take the time to learn the game while you build up the required extra skill sets.

How is player's skill just as important as sp. What skill is involved in Planetary interaction? What skill is involved in hauling goods from one station to another. If it's the pvp aspect, maybe.

To the Op's question, don't rmember much when I first started other than plopping some skills into queue and logging. Did do a few missions here and there but didn't play long starting out. Granted they did improve on the introduction for new players and the tutorials so you might want to check that out.
Dewa Cinta
Horrible Mining Corp
#6 - 2013-01-28 19:06:30 UTC
If you are lost try joining EvE University, it is a player-made corp in the game dedicated to helping new players out.
Dewa Cinta
Horrible Mining Corp
#7 - 2013-01-28 19:07:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Dewa Cinta
Caldari Citizen 20120308 wrote:

How is player's skill just as important as sp. What skill is involved in Planetary interaction? What skill is involved in hauling goods from one station to another. If it's the pvp aspect, maybe.

Maybe the fact that you need to actually set up the planetary systems?
Caldari Citizen 20120308
Doomheim
#8 - 2013-01-28 19:09:47 UTC
Dewa Cinta wrote:
If you are lost try joining EvE University, it is a player-made corp in the game dedicated to helping new players out.

Good luck trying to join. Screening process takes a week with a written application and voice chat with someone. Next thing you know you're getting a call from the CIA's secret service.
Caldari Citizen 20120308
Doomheim
#9 - 2013-01-28 19:10:55 UTC
Dewa Cinta wrote:

Thank goodness for Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKnObxB9XCs
Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#10 - 2013-01-28 19:12:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Bagrat Skalski
Cyrus Zane wrote:
I am brand new and I have played many MMOs and they are about progression. It seems like skill training is slow, is this game meant to be played maybe 1 hour a day or so you can train and set queues and log?

You can play it as long as you wish. I remember my first week, i was ninja salvaging, 8 hours a day.
Dewa Cinta
Horrible Mining Corp
#11 - 2013-01-28 19:13:36 UTC
Dewa Cinta wrote:

Good luck trying to join. Screening process takes a week with a written application and voice chat with someone. Next thing you know you're getting a call from the CIA's secret service.

Not really.

Dewa Cinta wrote:

Cool, how did you get a youtube video to set up your PI for you? Please teach.
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#12 - 2013-01-28 19:24:36 UTC
Play 6 to 8 hours a day, preferably while at work or school, with your EVE session safely tucked away in the background in case your "boss" or teacher strolls by.

You'll be winning EVE in no time. Blink

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#13 - 2013-01-28 19:27:04 UTC
Dewa Cinta wrote:

Dewa Cinta wrote:

Cool, how did you get a youtube video to set up your PI for you? Please teach.

Perhaps he thinks, that player skills that are taught don't count as player skills for some odd reason.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#14 - 2013-01-28 19:34:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Cyrus Zane wrote:
I am brand new and I have played many MMOs and they are about progression.

If you like other MMOs, you'll HATE EVE.

CCp should make this a pop up you get when you try to DL EVE :) .

But seriously, other mmos make you the human equivalent to a hamster on a wheel with all that stupid "leveling", EVE says "screw the wheel, figure out how to bust out of this cage and make the humans who delight in watching you run on a wheel and crap in your cage PAY for their insolence"!!

This is why I prefer EVE Twisted
Aza Ebanu
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2013-01-28 19:37:43 UTC
Cyrus Zane wrote:

CCP used to give players a few basic skills that made them "able", but reduced the new player starting skills because they wanted to make things more harsh. The devs hate you... Oh and welcome to EVE Online.
Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#16 - 2013-01-28 20:12:46 UTC
Cyrus Zane wrote:

One of the best part of EvE is just that do not enforce your character progression to some in game grinding. I remember when I started to play EvE (coming from other MMORPG) the sense of freedom coming from this. You can do whatever you want and like at the moment, also silly things, you're not forced in something for your character grow
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#17 - 2013-01-28 20:22:55 UTC
Cyrus Zane wrote:

Consider placing less emphasis on the acquisition of new skills and more emphasis on enjoying all of the things you can do with what you have. The personal skills you acquire through experiencing game play weigh very heavily in the balance.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#18 - 2013-01-28 20:25:28 UTC
Quote:

You can be shown the basics of setting up PI and acquire the learned skills to do so, but it requires a experimentation and skill to learn how to optimize a particular planets resources for optimal gain.

The skill in hauling comes in learning what to haul and what NOT to haul, and how to avoid hostile encounters while doing so.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Super spikinator
Hegemonous Conscripts
#19 - 2013-01-28 20:44:00 UTC
Mag's wrote:

To the Op's question, don't rmember much when I first started other than plopping some skills into queue and logging. Did do a few missions here and there but didn't play long starting out. Granted they did improve on the introduction for new players and the tutorials so you might want to check that out.

cool, so I'm just going to haul plex in a shuttle out of jita through the fastest route to a system in lowsec to sell to a station where there is a guy who is also selling plex for 10% less than I am even though there is a buy order for 10% more than the regional average. I mean who sells something lower but has a buy order for higher, does he hate money?
Trin Javidan
Caymen Labs
#20 - 2013-01-28 20:48:07 UTC
Its meant to be played atleast 3-4 hours a day. It depends on what you choose to do.

Eve is really addictive because it is so slow in the beginning. The fastest way to skill up is by buying a toon. To buy a toon you need isk and there are several ways to get onto alooot of isk. Knowlage, $$$ or hard game labour. Knowlage, playing the markets make billions a month saves lots of years training. Thyeres lots more to it
123Next page