These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Retribution 1.1] Armor Tanking 1.5

First post First post
Author
Hakan MacTrew
Konrakas Forged
Solyaris Chtonium
#981 - 2013-01-28 07:52:07 UTC
Vayn Baxtor wrote:
Probably asking for too much, but could we see some small +5%' or 10%'ish resists for the plates below 400mm?
Would give the small ships some more interests in fitting them for armor tank reasons. Just a bone that could be tossed.

Overall, "sounds good to me", regarding these general armor changes.

Wish we could see a lot more use of PI-products as secondary ammo like with Nanite Repair Paste here.

Such as an 'Energized 400mm Nanofiber Armour Plate'?
Interesting concept, maybe sacrifice some of the raw armour bonus for a small resist buff...
Certainly more helpful in solo active fits and fleet ops with logo support.

I almost exclusively use shields, and I think this could be something that would help armour tanking out. Making your armour count for more.

If the bonus was small, like only a 5% or even 10%, I wouldn't even bother with stacking penalties either.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#982 - 2013-01-28 09:20:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Garviel Tarrant
Vizvig wrote:
Akturous wrote:
Vizvig wrote:
If today hyperions perma tanking 2-3k DPS, how we will be counter them tomorrow?

You have to think about it.

You cannot balance ships around the insane tank they get with maxed t3 bonuses. If people think the tanks too much (which it f u c king isn't, because everyone brings a blob when they see a classic active tanked ship) then bonuses need addressing (which they are being).

You know without bonuses, just a lowely set of low grade crystals and a DG large booster, a sleip only tanks 551 dps and it's not even cap stable tanking that. So a command ship with a faction booster can't even tank a drake, a god damn drake. If you use asb you can't sustain your tank long enough now with the nerf to booster volume.

You know bonuses will never get nerfed, it's time to fix insane tank via nerf base rep amount, and deliver more madness to eve balance.

Why everyone bringing blob to chew classic aktive tanked ship? But not bringing blob when see regular passive tank lyke vagabond.

You know a Nerf has already been announced right? Both in amount and bringing them on grid.

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Sinzor Aumer
Planetary Harvesting and Processing LLC
#983 - 2013-01-28 09:42:01 UTC
Vayn Baxtor wrote:
Probably asking for too much, but could we see some small +5%' or 10%'ish resists for the plates below 400mm?

+1 for this, under-sized plates should have some additional advantages. Furthermore, we can see some interesting dual-tanked fits (I mean active+passive tanking, not what you thought, weirdos!)
Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#984 - 2013-01-28 10:43:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Alx Warlord
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:
Perihelion Olenard wrote:
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:
So Fozzie, how about no PG for plates and no cap use for reppers (just nanite paste).

So you'd have nothing against cruisers fitting 3-4 1600mm plates for an absolutely absurd amount of HP?

Nope not at all, on the grounds that other penalties apply, such as inertia/agility and as mentioned in my other posts acceleration. If you are dumb enough to stick 1600mm plates on a frig then good luck, it would be so heavy and so difficult to move or point at anything those 1600mm plates wont matter that much. If plates mass more than the ship then that genuinely is stupid enough to warrant a Darwin award for naturally self selecting.

I just think that acceleration/agility/inertia can be made just as powerful as penalties as PG with the right mechanic.

Can you foresee a frigate taking more time to align and warp then a freighter?

Maybe The Plates could use a modification.... Make part of the Bonus Raw HP and part of the Bonus % HP... this would solve many issues...
KatanTharkay
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#985 - 2013-01-28 11:00:49 UTC
Vayn Baxtor wrote:

That's something worth considering for the 800mm, 200mm and 50mm plates.
Veshta Yoshida
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#986 - 2013-01-28 11:45:41 UTC
More EHP, either through resists or stat bumps, are unnecessary. The Dps/EHP ratio for frigates-cruisers is right where it should be, if anything the EHP on 400 plates should be reduced as it is the most commonly used oversizing option for frigs/destroyers.
That said, the 800 plate is rarely used as most cruisers and all BC+ use 1600's but buffing one and not the others makes little sense. Were plates to have an additional benefit then let it synergize with AAR through a slight cap reduction on active mods (plate used as temporary capacitor) or increased rep amount (plate mass used for constructing additional nano-bots).

The convoluted way would be to give the various plates (Steel, Tungsten etc.) separate and unique bonuses while equalizing the EHP benefit across the board .. would boost market value for almost all the plates not currently used (ie. all but Tungsten) and could pose some interesting decisions in the fitting screen.

Plates should in no way, shape or form be buffed "on their own" beyond what has already been proposed (lowered mass) as it will exasperate the 'buffer everything' problem making this whole exercise to improve active tanking a waste of energy.
raawe
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#987 - 2013-01-28 11:52:10 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:

• Change the penalty on all active armor rigs (Aux Nano Pump, Nanobot Accelerator, and the new Nanobot Overcharger) to increase the powergrid use of local armor reps by 10% instead of reducing ship velocity. Note this is increasing the PG use of the reps by 10% (or 5% at Armor Rigging V) not decreasing the total PG of the ship.

• Armor repair amount will need to be buffed cuz it's already tight fit on most dual rep fits

CCP Fozzie wrote:

Plates
  • Add a new skill to the game called Armor Upgrades. This skill reduces the mass penalty of all armor plates by 5% per level. (Int/Mem, rank 3, requires Mechanics 3) This skill affects all plates (including 1600mm) and is separate from the stat change listed below.
  • Reduce the base mass penalty on all 800mm, 200mm and 50mm plates by 20%

• Great, will make those slow amarr ships more viable in PVP

CCP Fozzie wrote:

Ancillary Armor Repairer
  • Not the same mechanic as the ASB, please read to the end.
  • Always uses the same cap as a normal (T1/T2/Named) Armor Repper
  • When not loaded with Nanite Repair Paste, has 3/4 the rep amount as a T1 Armor Repairer
  • When loaded with Nanite Repair Paste triples rep amount (so reps 2.25x a T1 repairer when loaded)
  • Same cycle time and fittings as T1 reps
  • Smalls use 1 paste per cycle, mediums 5, larges 10. Can hold 8 cycles worth of paste at a time. Reload time is 1 minute just like an ASB, but the longer cycle time of armor reps means it goes longer between reloads
  • Limited to one per ship

• Fitting req same as T1 reps?

Btw do you plan to add some armor rigs that will affect modules like Armor Thermic Hardener? (cap usage, increased resists or something like that)

Sinzor Aumer
    Planetary Harvesting and Processing LLC
    #988 - 2013-01-28 12:32:42 UTC
    Veshta Yoshida wrote:
    That said, the 800 plate is rarely used as most cruisers and all BC+ use 1600's but buffing one and not the others makes little sense. Were plates to have an additional benefit then let it synergize with AAR through a slight cap reduction on active mods (plate used as temporary capacitor) or increased rep amount (plate mass used for constructing additional nano-bots).

When one module (or ship) is under-used, it needs buffing - and it makes sense. It was done to frigates and cruisers and everyone's happy. Tier-cide of modules is just a question of time, and I dont see a reason why we cant start now.

I like the idea of increasing rep amount by installing plates, not just for ancillary one (which must die), but for all reps.
    Edward Olmops
    Gunboat Commando
    #989 - 2013-01-28 12:39:07 UTC
    An idea about the AAR:

What if the AAR would only use up charges (and provide the 225% burst tank) WHEN OVERHEATED?
    (if not overheated, any remaining charges just sit in the repper forever)

1. This would emphasize the use of overheating and the emergency/burst nature of the module. Either I am in URGENT need for more armor or I am not. So most likely I will want to use heat and burst at the same time (as long as the module won't melt way faster than it has spent all Nanite Repair Paste).
    2. The specialty of the AAR as opposed to the ASB should be sustained tanking. Lets say I run a complex/mission whatever PvE thing that requires sustained tanking.
    I am in a dangerous environment like lowsec and expect to be ambushed all the time. So basically, I need a ship that is BOTH capable of PvE and PvP (at least to a certain degree).
    It would be a nice thing if I now could trade my required active tank for a weaker one (75%) with the option of burst tanking in an emergency.
    Now, if the thing works like the ASB, I can't do that with an AAR. if I go in with the repper full of Nanite Paste, I cannot activate it without wasting the precious Paste to the NPCs.
    And if I have no charges in it, I simply have a crappy armor repairer with 75% efficiency - I won't have the 1 min time to reload when ambushed!
    So I would need an extra button "use with charges/without charges".
    => Solution: couple it to overheat.
    3. Since Nanite Repair Paste will both be used for loading the repper and repairing heat damage, there would be a synergy. I just have to keep track of ONE pile of ammo.
    Plus one can repair & reload at the same time. At least that works with ASBs. I pretty much overheat them all the time, the minute reload time is more than enough to repair the heat damage and the overheat bonus adds nicely to the burst tank.
    Hakan MacTrew
    Konrakas Forged
    Solyaris Chtonium
    #990 - 2013-01-28 13:44:42 UTC
    Edward Olmops wrote:
    An idea about the AAR:

What if the AAR would only use up charges (and provide the 225% burst tank) WHEN OVERHEATED?

1. This would emphasize the use of overheating and the emergency/burst nature of the module. Either I am in URGENT need for more armor or I am not. So most likely I will want to use heat and burst at the same time (as long as the module won't melt way faster than it has spent all Nanite Repair Paste).
    2. The specialty of the AAR as opposed to the ASB should be sustained tanking. Lets say I run a complex/mission whatever PvE thing that requires sustained tanking.
    I am in a dangerous environment like lowsec and expect to be ambushed all the time. So basically, I need a ship that is BOTH capable of PvE and PvP (at least to a certain degree).
    It would be a nice thing if I now could trade my required active tank for a weaker one (75%) with the option of burst tanking in an emergency.
    Now, if the thing works like the ASB, I can't do that with an AAR. if I go in with the repper full of Nanite Paste, I cannot activate it without wasting the precious Paste to the NPCs.
    And if I have no charges in it, I simply have a crappy armor repairer with 75% efficiency - I won't have the 1 min time to reload when ambushed!
    3. Since Nanite Repair Paste will both be used for loading the repper and repairing heat damage, there would be a synergy. I just have to keep track of ONE pile of ammo.
    Plus one can repair & reload at the same time. At least that works with ASBs. I pretty much overheat them all the time, the minute reload time is more than enough to repair the heat damage and the overheat bonus adds nicely to the burst tank.

Using an AAR without using up its charges is actually a very valid point. Splitting the button in half, one side for charges, the other for without, should do the job.
    I'm not sure about forcing the tie in with heat though. It means that unless you have trained in the heat skill, this mod would be useless. It gets a healthty benefit from heat already, as you pointed out about ASBs.

A module similar to the shield boost amp, but for armour could be helpful. At preset, a triple rep fit is totally dependant on cap boosters, normaly being forced to use at least 2 at a time. With a module that grants 30% - 35% more per rep, that triple rep fit, especially combined with an AAR, could be viable with only two repping modules and probably only one cap booster. This would be workable on more hulls.
    Mag's
    Azn Empire
    #991 - 2013-01-28 14:11:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Mag's
    Hakan MacTrew wrote:
    Edward Olmops wrote:
    An idea about the AAR:

Using an AAR without using up its charges is actually a very valid point. Splitting the button in half, one side for charges, the other for without, should do the job.
    I'm not sure about forcing the tie in with heat though. It means that unless you have trained in the heat skill, this mod would be useless. It gets a healthty benefit from heat already, as you pointed out about ASBs.

A module similar to the shield boost amp, but for armour could be helpful. At preset, a triple rep fit is totally dependant on cap boosters, normaly being forced to use at least 2 at a time. With a module that grants 30% - 35% more per rep, that triple rep fit, especially combined with an AAR, could be viable with only two repping modules and probably only one cap booster. This would be workable on more hulls.
    Agreed. I'm not keen on this module being reliant upon overheat. That mechanic is clunky enough and I don't need more reasons to need use of it. The AAR could maybe have a switch, to allow either mode. When you're going to need it, switch the AAR mode on.

What we need is an increase in the base rep from armour reppers, this would mean the AAR gets an increase. This could be attained through either the final amount, or changes to timers and cap use. But either way I think a boost is required.

We need a 20% decrease in powergrid for large reppers, not 10.

An acknowledgement that the ASB, needs to be limited to the same amount per ship as the AAR. Whether this be 1 or 2 units.

The removal of the new skill, unless it gives 50% at level 5.

And maybe as you said, a new mod that boosts the rep like a boost amp. But the trouble with this route is the same old, same old feeling it gives.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Edward Olmops
    Gunboat Commando
    #992 - 2013-01-28 14:26:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Edward Olmops
    Hakan MacTrew wrote:

In hindsight, I should have put this problem on top of my posting since this is what my proposal is about.
    A split button may technically solve it, but I don't think the UI needs more tiny buttons.
    Also, I would bet that the "split button" idea would be way more complicated for the developers than connecting the charges to overheating (that's why I proposed it).
    Currently there is 2 mechanisms that allows us to operate modules in different ways - and these are heat and charges (with scripts as a specialized version of charges that never get spent).
    The AAR will already be using charges and for balancing reasons, the reload time will be 1 min.

The AAR (as announced in OP) will have four modes of operation:

1) vanilla: no charges, no heat - base efficiency, runs forever if cap-stable
    2) overheated: heat, but no charges - +30% efficiency, but the module will melt after a while
    3) loaded: charges will be spent - +200% efficiency, runs only 8 cycles, 1 min reload
    4) loaded & overheated - +260% efficiency, the real burst tank! (yeah, melts & runs out of charges, but we aren't cowards, are we?)

I will happily forget modes 2 & 3 if that allows me to instantly switch from 1 to 4. One minute reload totally ruins this.

P.S.: and give the thing Thermodynamics I as Prerequisite - then no one can complain about not being able to overheat it.
    Freighdee Katt
    Center for Advanced Studies
    Gallente Federation
    #993 - 2013-01-28 15:24:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Freighdee Katt
    Edward Olmops wrote:

I suggested several pages ago they should just add another tab, 180 degrees opposite from the heat tab, that means "burn charges." Call it the "blue tab," as opposed to the current green tab. If the blue tab is lit, then the module consumes charges when it is activated. You can light it when the module is on or off, same as heat works now. You can also un-light it at any time, with or without turning the module on or off. Without knowing all the black magic behind the current UI, it appears that a second tab would be a simpler and more conventional update to the UI than "split buttons."

The blue tab would apply to any module that has charges which you can selectively use or not use; both the ASB and AAR fall into this category now, although anyone running an ASB will probably have the blue tab lit at all times, since you never want to run it empty anyway, due to the heinous cap use. With the AAR though, the blue tab is a must have feature in order for the "normal" mode to make any sense at all. Without this control, you can never run the module except in burst mode, which defeats the entire point of its design.

Another thing the AAR needs to do is run in 3/4 rep gimp mode while reloading; otherwise, again, the point of it always burning cap and having a "normal" mode is defeated. Since they want this to work in a "different" way than the ASB, it needs to actually work in a different way, and that way needs to make sense. If not, then it's just some sort of gimp armor ASB with all the downsides and none of the advantages.

EvE is supposed to suck.  Wait . . . what was the question?

Nikuno
    Atomic Heroes
    #994 - 2013-01-28 15:26:42 UTC
    Edward Olmops wrote:
    Hakan MacTrew wrote:

In hindsight, I should have put this problem on top of my posting since this is what my proposal is about.
    A split button may technically solve it, but I don't think the UI needs more tiny buttons.
    Also, I would bet that the "split button" idea would be way more complicated for the developers than connecting the charges to overheating (that's why I proposed it).
    Currently there is 2 mechanisms that allows us to operate modules in different ways - and these are heat and charges (with scripts as a specialized version of charges that never get spent).
    The AAR will already be using charges and for balancing reasons, the reload time will be 1 min.

The AAR (as announced in OP) will have four modes of operation:

1) vanilla: no charges, no heat - base efficiency, runs forever if cap-stable
    2) overheated: heat, but no charges - +30% efficiency, but the module will melt after a while
    3) loaded: charges will be spent - +200% efficiency, runs only 8 cycles, 1 min reload
    4) loaded & overheated - +260% efficiency, the real burst tank! (yeah, melts & runs out of charges, but we aren't cowards, are we?)

I will happily forget modes 2 & 3 if that allows me to instantly switch from 1 to 4. One minute reload totally ruins this.

P.S.: and give the thing Thermodynamics I as Prerequisite - then no one can complain about not being able to overheat it.

Split buttons are unlikely as it'd be a new function added solely for this module, but a script might be more realistic.
    Sergeant Acht Scultz
    School of Applied Knowledge
    Caldari State
    #995 - 2013-01-28 15:39:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Sergeant Acht Scultz
    I'm still stuck at this "new skills" thing, soon enough you need to play eve off line for 2 years before you can fit a ship decently.

This makes the game more and more unattractive for newer players, I know already new players are not welcome no need to remind me, but the more skills like this are added the more this game the worst it will be for noobs.

Noob watches this

Then gets this

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

Jerick Ludhowe
    Internet Tuff Guys
    #996 - 2013-01-28 15:45:00 UTC
    Nikuno wrote:

Split buttons are unlikely as it'd be a new function added solely for this module, but a script might be more realistic.

CCP does not even know how to add a timer to their module UI, I highly doubt the suggested script will ever come to fruition.
    Mike Voidstar
    Voidstar Free Flight Foundation
    #997 - 2013-01-28 15:54:53 UTC
    The easiest solution is just not to make it a repairer in its own right, but a repair amplifier, perhaps an "Ancillary Nano Pump". When active it cuts the cap use of the repaired to a fraction of normal, and increases the speed and repair amount by enough to achieve the desired burst tanking effect. Divorcing the paste from the reps allows you to set the consumption rate to the desired time frame, allows the use of the rep at its full normal value without having to worry about extra fiddly buttons that don't exist yet, and allows the benefit to scale with whatever repairer you are using from t1 to officer mods.

Zyella Stormborn
    Green Seekers
    #998 - 2013-01-28 16:07:10 UTC
    Takeshi Yamato wrote:
    Armor repairers are meant to be more sustainable, whereas shield bosters are meant to have a stronger peak tank.

If we compare the cap efficiency though, a T2 shield booster + boost amp combo has 13% higher cap efficiency compared to double reps of the equivalent size, while also having a 14.75% stronger tank.

The only thing that makes armor repairs "more sustainable" are cap recharge mods, which don't apply in PvP except on capitals.

The capacitor usage of of small, medium and large armor repairers should be reduced. That will give active armor tanking in PvP the edge in sustainability it is supposed to have. Active armor tanks in PvE could use the buff as well, since they are clearly less popular than shield tanks.

I agree with this

There is a special Hell for people like that, Right next to child molestors, and people that talk in the theater. ~Firefly

Gitanmaxx
    Viziam
    Amarr Empire
    #999 - 2013-01-28 16:10:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Gitanmaxx
    fozzie, if you fix armor tanking I will let you sleep with my girlfriend.

Please just make sure that after the changes amarr ships still have the PG to fit a tank and guns. The cruiser line finally is able to not have to fit undersized guns so a double check that the change to rigs won't restrict them back to using undersized guns is all I ask.
    Irya Boone
    The Scope
    #1000 - 2013-01-28 16:27:59 UTC
    And no more skill to train to balance something obvious.
    make the changes affected By current skills in Game because it's unfair to be at the same level than shield tanking we have to learn more ?

CCP it's time to remove Off Grid Boost and Put Them on Killmail too, add Logi on killmails .... Open that damn door !!

you shall all bow and pray BoB