These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Scamming new players.

Author
Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#1 - 2013-01-24 17:30:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Corey Fumimasa
Some kid was just on help saying that he tried to sell a PLEX and another player convod him and got the kid to just do an in station swap for zero ISK. Is that frowned upon? And does CCP do anything to discourage it?

Just curious, I felt kind of bad about the story. The kid was like "my mom bought it for my birthday =-(

It was awful!

***Day 2 edit: Thread is split pretty evenly, a few more posts for leave PLEX alone, but more likes for "Make PLEX safer"

Lots of explaining of fundamental economic principles. Many players fight against the well documented fact that making financial transactions safer will also lower prices for the products in question.

*** Day 3 edit:

It looks like a lot of the people arguing against a change in the PLEX program are holding PLEX. Their arguments are not about what would be best for the game, rather they are concerned that a change in the way PLEX are handled would lower the price of PLEX. Causing massive losses for anyone holding PLEX as a hedge against inflation.

***Day 5 update: I think we have closed on a solution that everyone can live with:

Leave PLEX in game as long as completely new players don’t see it as the first option with which to buy in game currency. A safe replacement for PLEX could be developed and advertised in its stead. PLEX would be an in game item of better value than the out of game option. But only players with a bit of experience will know about it.

***Day 5.1 edit: I'm going to go cook some bacon, and make pancakes. And make pot of dark roast coffee.
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2013-01-24 17:32:49 UTC
Corey Fumimasa wrote:
Some kid was just on help saying that he tried to sell a PLEX and another player convod him and got the kid to just do an in station swap. Is that frowned upon? And does CCP do anything to discourage it?

Just curious, I felt kind of bad about the story. The kid was like "my mom bought it for my birthday =-(

It was awful!
:/

Sitting in the official helpchat and scamming noobs who seek help ... that's really low, even for EvE players ...
De'Veldrin
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2013-01-24 17:33:21 UTC
AFAIK, the only think you are explicitly forbidden from scamming with are character trades. Some helpful GM may come along and correct me, but if the kid feels like it violated the rules, they should file a petition.

De'Veldrin's Corollary (to Malcanis' Law): Any idea that seeks to limit the ability of a large nullsec bloc to do something in the name of allowing more small groups into sov null will inevitably make it that much harder for small groups to enter sov null.

Mai Khumm
#4 - 2013-01-24 17:33:36 UTC
As long as it wasn't done in the public chat but in a private convo, he's pretty much screwed...
Some Rando
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-01-24 17:34:50 UTC
Whoever did that should be banned. Of course, CCP could also help us out by concretely defining what a "new player" is, too.

CCP has no sense of humour.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2013-01-24 17:35:37 UTC
I'm fairly sure scamming complete newbies isn't allowed.
The solution would be for the scammee to file a petition.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Jita iswhereIsit
Doomheim
#7 - 2013-01-24 17:36:57 UTC
Its part of the game, as long as he didn't use the recruitment channel or the help channel directly then whoever scammed him did nothing wrong.
Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#8 - 2013-01-24 17:39:01 UTC
Thanks, I think he ended up running a petition.
Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#9 - 2013-01-24 17:42:35 UTC
Jita iswhereIsit wrote:
Its part of the game, as long as he didn't use the recruitment channel or the help channel directly then whoever scammed him did nothing wrong.

Against the rules and Wrong are 2 different things. It was wrong. Scamming a few million isk is one thing, but that was 20$, and now the kid feels like **** about the game. No reason for that.
Psychotic Monk
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2013-01-24 17:44:01 UTC
Yes, there are new players and people in unfortunate circumstances who play, but you can't know which of these people are telling you lies in order to try and get out of a sticky situations and you often can't tell the difference between someone who's a terrible communicator because they're 13 or just dumb.

Your assumption has to be that every player in the game is equal. If information presented to you later makes you change your mind, then fine, but you should be aware that people will say pretty much anything to you in order to try and get out of a sticky situation.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#11 - 2013-01-24 17:48:21 UTC
I'm sorry but no matter how new you are you shouldn't be dumb enough to give a PLEX to someone else via station trade

"New" is not a synonym for "stupid"

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Dave Stark
#12 - 2013-01-24 17:48:58 UTC
not sure if i should be sympathetic or amused.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#13 - 2013-01-24 17:50:07 UTC
Corey Fumimasa wrote:
Jita iswhereIsit wrote:

Against the rules and Wrong are 2 different things. It was wrong. Scamming a few million isk is one thing, but that was 20$, and now the kid feels like **** about the game. No reason for that.

That is my gut reaction also, but then I thought about it for a moment.

Scamming someone out of $20 should be bannable, however once purchased that PLEX became an item just like any other and therefore subject to risks just like anything else in game.

Secondly, if "his mom gave it to him" it was to give him a month of game time... so why was he trying to sell it to begin with. If I was his mom I'd be a little pissed off about that. That fact negates some of my sympathy.

No, the only issue is "is scamming allowed in the help channel, and did this event happen in the help channel or a convo?".

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#14 - 2013-01-24 17:59:07 UTC
From the eve-live logs, the guy didn't get scammed from the help channel, it looks like it happened outside of it entirely.

From the looks of it, he made a private contract without specifying a price.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

De'Veldrin
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2013-01-24 18:09:29 UTC  |  Edited by: De'Veldrin
Ranger 1 wrote:

Secondly, if "his mom gave it to him" it was to give him a month of game time... so why was he trying to sell it to begin with. If I was his mom I'd be a little pissed off about that. That fact negates some of my sympathy.

Gotta disagree with you here. Remember this is the same age group that is paying all those f2p pay to win games on Facebook and PSN and the like. Parents give their kids in game money for stuff all the time (I've bought my kids cards for their games for their birthdays before).

The problem is, in Eve, your stuff can be taken away from you pretty easily, whereas in those other games, it generally is yours once you get it.

Quote:

No, the only issue is "is scamming allowed in the help channel, and did this event happen in the help channel or a convo?".

Fundamentally, I agree with you.

However, the headache for CCP will be when mom calls her credit card company and says "That's an invalid charge because my son didn't get the thing I bought." TBH, I was surprised when CCP started allowing you to undock with PLEX - it's got to be mkore of a hassle for them than they first anticipated.

De'Veldrin's Corollary (to Malcanis' Law): Any idea that seeks to limit the ability of a large nullsec bloc to do something in the name of allowing more small groups into sov null will inevitably make it that much harder for small groups to enter sov null.

Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#16 - 2013-01-24 18:10:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Gogela
I don' know about you guys, but as a new player I was in NO POSITION to buy PLEX at all. If it was available at the time, I'd have been SELLING PLEX! What noob has 550 mil to kick around? It took me forever just to scrape together enough ISK for a battleship! If you can scam a noob w/ PLEX I got news for ya: he's hot a noob.
Roll

Edit: If the noob bought PLEX to sell... yah that's pretty tasteless and ban the scammer....

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#17 - 2013-01-24 18:10:36 UTC
De'Veldrin wrote:
True, but the headache for CCP will be when mom calls her credit card company and says "That's an invalid charge because my son didn't get the thing I bought." TBH, I was surprised when CCP started allowing you to undock with PLEX - it's got to be mkore of a hassle for them than they first anticipated.

i'm pretty sure chargebacks get you permabanned

Demolishar
United Aggression
#18 - 2013-01-24 18:12:06 UTC
Gogela wrote:
I don' know about you guys, but as a new player I was in NO POSITION to buy PLEX at all. If it was available at the time, I'd have been SELLING PLEX! What noob has 550 mil to kick around? It took me forever just to scrape together enough ISK for a battleship! If you can scam a noob w/ PLEX I got news for ya: he's hot a noob.
Roll

The noob was selling.
De'Veldrin
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2013-01-24 18:12:30 UTC
Andski wrote:
De'Veldrin wrote:
True, but the headache for CCP will be when mom calls her credit card company and says "That's an invalid charge because my son didn't get the thing I bought." TBH, I was surprised when CCP started allowing you to undock with PLEX - it's got to be mkore of a hassle for them than they first anticipated.

i'm pretty sure chargebacks get you permabanned

I doubt mom will care if her son's account gets banned as long as her credit card balances.,

Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#20 - 2013-01-24 18:13:34 UTC
Demolishar wrote:
Gogela wrote:
Roll

The noob was selling.

Ah. That's something different. You're right that's f'd up. Just like you can't hang out in starter systems and grief noobs you shouldn't be able to pull $20 off of them like that. Ban the scammer if that's the case.

Signatures should be used responsibly...

123Next pageLast page