These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Retribution 1.1] Armor Tanking 1.5

First post First post
Author
CCP Fozzie
C C P
C C P Alliance
#381 - 2013-01-22 15:14:07 UTC
Dzajic wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Larger reply is still coming but I just want to quickly note that we're pulling the Overheating rig from this proposal until further notice.

As always thanks for all your comments on it. I started off with an early mistake with this rig and we're not going to re-add it unless it's properly balanced.

Can you please also reconsider Incursus nerf till further notice? It would be terrible shame if AARs got delayed or changed to something more reasonable and the little frig got its bonus nerfed for no reason. Please! :(

We're not going to apply the Incursus change if significant parts of this proposal get delayed, don't worry. They go hand in hand.

Game Designer | Team Five-0

Twitter: @CCP_Fozzie
Twitch chat: ccp_fozzie

Hannott Thanos
Notorious Legion
#382 - 2013-01-22 15:14:12 UTC
Shpenat wrote:

With AAR the things you need to have in your cargohold: ammo, largest possible cap booster charges for cap booster. smallest possible cap charges for AAR, nanite repair paste to repair overheated modules. Quite a lot of stuff...

I was under the impression that one cycle only pulls the required amount of cap from the loaded booster?

while (CurrentSelectedTarget.Status == ShipStatus.Alive) {

_myShip.FireAllGuns(CurrentSelectedTarget);

}

Rick Rymes
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#383 - 2013-01-22 15:15:04 UTC
Keko Khaan wrote:

Ignorance seems indeed to bless for people like urself but let me explain it to you.

Armor tanking downside is mass penalty on plates and rigs while shield tanks have sig radius penalty on shield extenders and rigs. Now if ccp gives skill that reduces armor tanking downside but doesnt make skill that would reduce shield tanks downside. Yes it makes armor tanking OP towards shield tanking.

What you say is honorable but factor this in.

We don't want a skill that reduces mass penalty

The fact that an armor tanker has to train a skill to reduce a disadvantage that a alternate system does not have is plain unfair.

And that's not taking into account that the sig penalty is very slight when compared to the mass/speed penalty

What would make it fair is if there was no mass/speed penalty to begin with OR shield mods/rigs had the same speed/mass penalty, which not only makes sense since it means speed tanking becomes a more independent way of fitting a ship.

If CCP do decide to continue with this path then yes maybe a pointless skill to reduce shield sig penalty can be bezzie mate with the equally pointless mass penalty reduction skill
Shpenat
Ironman Inc.
Transgress
#384 - 2013-01-22 15:15:44 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Larger reply is still coming but I just want to quickly note that we're pulling the Overheating rig from this proposal until further notice.

As always thanks for all your comments on it. I started off with an early mistake with this rig and we're not going to re-add it unless it's properly balanced.

Sad panda face

That rig was actually looking quite promising.
Pinky Denmark
The Cursed Navy
#385 - 2013-01-22 15:16:03 UTC
Buffer tanks just work better than active reps because more people are involved in the fights these days with a bigger server population as well as the dps from each ship has increased a lot the last few years easily overcoming active tanks...

Shield buffers work better than armor buffer for other reasons than a direct comparison:
Buffer and RR proofed to be win - but armor rr is dealyed making it a problem with bigger numbers.
Shield buffer work better because you don't need to rep up between fights if you have time to wait.
Armor buffer can't keep up and dictate range against shield buffer fleets - and speed is important (hence we had a nano nerf)
Shield has become in favour because it allows damage mods going full gank. full gank with numbers are better than heavily tanked armor buffers with little dps. This is a result of more people fighting.

So don't go flat out thinking shield buffer is better than armor buffer on a 1 to 1 comparison. It's the added benefits when you have large numbers that gives the image of shield fleets we have today...

Pinky
Jerick Ludhowe
Internet Tuff Guys
#386 - 2013-01-22 15:19:06 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:

How about you pull the entire proposal and go ahead and fix existing core issues rather than applying band aid lazy developer fixes.

simply not impressed.
Shpenat
Ironman Inc.
Transgress
#387 - 2013-01-22 15:20:22 UTC
Hannott Thanos wrote:

I was under the impression that one cycle only pulls the required amount of cap from the loaded booster?

No. The idea is to use cap from your capacitor AND consume another capacitor booster charge (probably small one) to give the augmented rep amount.
Jame Jarl Retief
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#388 - 2013-01-22 15:22:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Jame Jarl Retief
Krell Kroenen wrote:
Over all I guess there will be a rash of AAR fited ships running a muck after this goes lives and CCP will claim armor tanking as being fixed. But I can't help but feel that these changes are a copout to getting their hands dirty and doing a proper reworking of armor tanking. An ill fitted bandage to a wound that really needs surgery if you will.

A lot of folks seem to share this same sentiment. I was talking to someone about this last night, and he said that CCP modus operandi lately has been to put the cart before the horse, then do unspeakable things to the horse, then the cart, and then chalk it up as working as intended and not speak of it again for 5 years out of sheer embarrassment. Blink

And I agree about the new skill. It's nice and all, but is this something that EVE needs? More skills? Especially since you just added four sensor compensation skills a month ago? Is this really what you want a new player to see? More skills? And with the Destroyer/BC split coming in next expansion, and older players getting basically "free" 6 million or so SP that a newbie joining too late to train these will have to train for later at the cost of several months of training time? Is this really making the game better in any way, shape or form? How?
Keko Khaan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#389 - 2013-01-22 15:23:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Keko Khaan
Rick Rymes wrote:
Keko Khaan wrote:

Ignorance seems indeed to bless for people like urself but let me explain it to you.

Armor tanking downside is mass penalty on plates and rigs while shield tanks have sig radius penalty on shield extenders and rigs. Now if ccp gives skill that reduces armor tanking downside but doesnt make skill that would reduce shield tanks downside. Yes it makes armor tanking OP towards shield tanking.

What you say is honorable but factor this in.

We don't want a skill that reduces mass penalty

The fact that an armor tanker has to train a skill to reduce a disadvantage that a alternate system does not have is plain unfair.

And that's not taking into account that the sig penalty is very slight when compared to the mass/speed penalty

What would make it fair is if there was no mass/speed penalty to begin with OR shield mods/rigs had the same speed/mass penalty, which not only makes sense since it means speed tanking becomes a more independent way of fitting a ship.

If CCP do decide to continue with this path then yes maybe a pointless skill to reduce shield sig penalty can be bezzie mate with the equally pointless mass penalty reduction skill

Well yea i can agree with this.. And yea maybe mass penalty is bit rough compared to sig penalty. But to give another skill that reduces its penalty while not giving anything to other..

But then again if we compare lets say zealot fleet with logi support vs vaga fleet with logi support. Which is stronger? Yea hard to say depends on situation i guess...

Edit:

Alltho i do think they should have different penalties so things remain different. I like that they work differently.. Shield regen not really issue for me. But maybe they could make shield regen work with some skill while making another lets say resistance skill to compansate etc..
Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#390 - 2013-01-22 15:24:16 UTC
Dear CCP Fozzie,

Instead of introducing a new skill for armour tankers and widening the power gap between old and new (starting) players why not adapt the hull upgrades skill that most players will have already trained to a significant level:

"Hull Upgrades

Skill at maintaining your ship's armor and installing hull upgrades like expanded cargoholds and inertial stabilizers. Grants a 5% bonus to armor hit points per skill level."

SImply change to:

Skill at maintaining your ship's armor and installing hull upgrades like expanded cargoholds, armour plates and inertial stabilizers. Grants a 5% bonus to armor hit points and a 5% reduction in mass for fitted plates per skill level.

Job Done.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Jame Jarl Retief
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#391 - 2013-01-22 15:27:04 UTC
Keko Khaan wrote:
Well yea i can agree with this.. And yea maybe mass penalty is bit rough compared to sig penalty. But to give another skill that reduces its penalty while not giving anything to other..

Problem is, you can't compare shields and armor in a straight-up manner. For one, shields regen, armor doesn't. That alone invalidates a lot of direct shield vs armor comparisons.

Now, if CCP added passive armor repair via some new nanite technology, then shield vs armor comparisons would work better, but the cost would be shield and armor tanking being completely homogenized. Then again, with AAR being added on top of ASB, arguably the two ARE getting homogenized regardless.
Dzajic
#392 - 2013-01-22 15:28:01 UTC
Just to note, with OH rigs currently off the table, only change conventional active armor tank receives is trading a lot of grid for some speed.
Rick Rymes
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#393 - 2013-01-22 15:28:13 UTC
I have to say that this proposal is underwhelming.

Which to say is uncharacteristic of you Fozzie.

You and your co workers managed to bring Faction warfare to the forefront of PvP

You then made useless and redundant ships become not just useful but also unique, creating endless possibility's and a fresh atmosphere for the average PvPer

some people (including myself) would that it was your teams work that was the best part of Retribution.

But this just does not look healthy , i would prefer you took a better look at Armor tanking in both its active and buffer forms and do a real re vamp of the way armor plays.
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#394 - 2013-01-22 15:30:53 UTC
Jame Jarl Retief wrote:
Keko Khaan wrote:

Problem is, you can't compare shields and armor in a straight-up manner. For one, shields regen, armor doesn't. That alone invalidates a lot of direct shield vs armor comparisons.

Now, if CCP added passive armor repair via some new nanite technology, then shield vs armor comparisons would work better, but the cost would be shield and armor tanking being completely homogenized. Then again, with AAR being added on top of ASB, arguably the two ARE getting homogenized regardless.

But the AAR and the ASB are functionally different, which was a great idea to do, I like the AAR in both what it does and that it is different from the ASB.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Edward Olmops
Gunboat Commando
#395 - 2013-01-22 15:35:39 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:

Too bad.
I just calculated that with 3 of these T2 rigs, an overheated Repper would actually have had a NEGATIVE cycle time.
And I believe THAT would have caused a severe disruption in time-space that might have been used to create wormholes to Jove space... :-(
Eternal Error
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#396 - 2013-01-22 15:39:26 UTC
Debir Achen wrote:
Eternal Error wrote:
Hint: In addition to being incorrect on tracking (given that sig radius only matters if your sig radius is less than the sig res of the guns),
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Turret_damage

Missile damage is capped at a % = sig res / explosion velocity. Do you have a reliable reference stating something similar for guns?

Eternal Error wrote:
armor rigs penalize speed, not mass.
True. But plates penalise mass. And everything else I stated is still true.
I don't want to de-rail the thread, but there's a similar topic up in ships and modules right now titled "target painter vs. web vs. tracking computer". You are technically correct that it is not capped. Realistically though, it's not that big a deal.

CCP Fozzie wrote:

Thank you. Please consider scrapping all new module/rig/skill/etc. ideas until you work on balancing existing ones. I think you're trying to come up with big ideas and make big changes when it's simply not necessary. Additionally, a small tweak here and there is all you need to let people know that you understand the issue and are working on it. These balance issues have been around for years, we're not going to freak if you don't fix it all at once.

Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#397 - 2013-01-22 15:39:53 UTC
To be honest. All rigs should have their penalty removed and the bonus you get from them linked to the level of the skill you train for it.

I mean why not? The drawbacks on rigs on the whole tend to be stupid. Also there is so much imbalance between the rigs. Some rigs are far too good while others are just underwhelming
TrouserDeagle
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#398 - 2013-01-22 15:40:14 UTC  |  Edited by: TrouserDeagle
Why do we even still have 50mm plates? If you're plating a frigate it should be a 200mm or 400mm or it's a wasted slot.

still waiting on tristan rep bonus btw
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#399 - 2013-01-22 15:42:07 UTC
Spugg Galdon wrote:
To be honest. All rigs should have their penalty removed and the bonus you get from them linked to the level of the skill you train for it.

I mean why not? The drawbacks on rigs on the whole tend to be stupid. Also there is so much imbalance between the rigs. Some rigs are far too good while others are just underwhelming

In one of the other balancing threads someone mentioned the idea of a 20% reduction per rigging level instead of 10% per level, both improving the effectiveness of rigs and making there a reason to train them to level 5

Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#400 - 2013-01-22 15:43:11 UTC
TrouserDeagle wrote:
Why do we even still have 50mm plates? If you're plating a frigate it should be a 200mm or 400mm or it's a wasted slot.

still waiting on tristan rep bonus btw

POWNAGE rookie ships