These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Retribution 1.1] Armor Tanking 1.5

First post First post
Author
John Nucleus
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#341 - 2013-01-22 13:07:00 UTC
Rick Rymes wrote:
So in theory

The AAR reps over twice that of a T1 Armor rep, the Incursus should only need one to achieve around the same as dual repping Straight

Add on that this mod runs on cap charges, you don't necessarily need a cap booster, which frees a mid for a web Blink

And because a AAR acts as two reps, you also technically have an extra low as well, which can be used to add more buffer/speed/damage Smile

And because you are using one AAR instead of two reps you should in theory have more fitting for other stuff Big smile

But to top it off you no longer have a severe speed penalty on an already fast ship even with armor rigs Lol

Did the toughest T1 frig just up its game???

That's how I see it too. The incursus just became too good. Great tank, gank, speed, and control. It has no weakness. Why would you want to fly any other brawler?
Johnny Aideron
Order of Rouvenor
#342 - 2013-01-22 13:13:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Johnny Aideron
Fozzie can you explain why you consider a hull bonus for recieved remote reps to be OP? I mean there is already a bonus to remote reps in the game it is called armor/shield resistance bonuses.

Hypothetical example: Imagine a 25 man gang (with 20 dps ships and 5 logi) vs an identical gang. Each dps ship does 500 dps while each logi reps about 300 armor points/s. The only difference between them is that one gang has a 37.5% bonus to recieved remote armor repairs while the other gang has a 25% bonus to armor resists.

Both gangs put out 10,000 DPS (before resists are taken into account) and rep 1500 dps. How does the different hull bonuses affect each gang? Well firstly the gang with resist bonuses reduces incoming damage by 25%, so the other sides DPS is reduced by 2500dps. Whereas the other gang get a boost to it's remote reps so their incoming repairs are increased by 562.5 dps.

So even with a hypothetical bonus to recieved reps the resistance bonused ships win out.

Under the fairly sensible assumption that a fleet brings more dps than logi, then the armour resistance bonus ends up being much more useful in fleets than this bonus to recieved reps. Furthermore:
*Resistance bonused ships tend to have an extra low or mid for tanking, whereas active tanking ships tend to have a less focused slot layout, forcing one to either sacrifice tank or dps.
*Resistance bonused ships get better as the fleet scales up whereas active tankers get progressively worse even with this proposed active rep bonus.
*Resistance bonused ships are less vulnerable to volley damage on top of getting more remote reps

Even so, if the bonus turned out to be too strong you could always lessen the bonus to 3-5% for remote reps (and leave 7.5% bonus for active tanking). I just don't see why it's OP.
Sui'Djin
State War Academy
Caldari State
#343 - 2013-01-22 13:15:45 UTC
Since this is a thread about armor tanking:

Fozzie, are you also considering the imbalance that is caused by slave-set-implants?
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#344 - 2013-01-22 13:17:30 UTC
John Nucleus wrote:

That's how I see it too. The incursus just became too good. Great tank, gank, speed, and control. It has no weakness. Why would you want to fly any other brawler?

It tanks less with new bonus+SAAR than with old bonus Dual SAR II, but only for 7 cycles while still using half as much cap.

Sinzor Aumer
Planetary Harvesting and Processing LLC
#345 - 2013-01-22 13:36:47 UTC
Sean Parisi wrote:
I like the fact that you aren't homogenizing the Ancillary armor repper with the shield repper.

In fact he does homogenize them. Armor tanking is not a burst tanking, and it shouldnt be!
Reactive armor hardener - that is the right approach. I'd rather just revamped that module without inventing anything new.
But no, CCP will skrew everything that was done before, they've found IWIN button. Could we have ancillary MWD? Ancillary lasers? Ancillary scram? Ancillary capacitor booster, ftw! Sure, new people, new ideas - THEIR ideas - and who cares about the experiense, the lore, the metagame...
Griffin Omanid
Knights of the Zodiac
#346 - 2013-01-22 13:38:46 UTC
I assume these improvements is the first attempt to rebalanc active armor tanking.
And also the AAB will surely be first of all only a prototype modul like the ASB, won´t it?

Nice changes, and let´s see waht they bring. Also I now wish that ASB also get limited to once per ship, but that OT.
Jerick Ludhowe
Internet Tuff Guys
#347 - 2013-01-22 13:39:38 UTC
Sinzor Aumer wrote:
Sean Parisi wrote:
I like the fact that you aren't homogenizing the Ancillary armor repper with the shield repper.

In fact he does homogenize them. Armor tanking is not a burst tanking, and it shouldnt be!
Reactive armor hardener - that is the right approach. I'd rather just revamped that module without inventing anything new.
But no, CCP will skrew everything that was done before, they've found IWIN button. Could we have ancillary MWD? Ancillary lasers? Ancillary scram? Ancillary capacitor booster, ftw! Sure, new people, new ideas - THEIR ideas - and who cares about the experiense, the lore, the metagame...

Don't forget, all these modules should only be available in tech 1. That way no one has to make any choices when fitting them.

I think fozzie needs to be ousted as balance dev tbhEvil
Sinzor Aumer
#348 - 2013-01-22 13:42:10 UTC
Sui'Djin wrote:
Fozzie, are you also considering the imbalance that is caused by slave-set-implants?

I'm not Fozzie, but slave set is balanced by crystal set.
Capital shield boosters is an issue, but it's definitely offtopic.
Gripen
#349 - 2013-01-22 13:44:11 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Roime wrote:
Quote:
This effect is stacking penalized and gives no bonus when the reps are not overheated. Same calibration and build costs as a Aux Nano or Nanobot Acc rig.

Stacked with what, only with itself or the other two rigs as well?

Stacked with itself since nothing else affects armor rep heat bonus atm.

What about red giant wormhole effect on overload bonuses? I think it's worth mention here because last time CCP guys didn't test how their changes work with wormhole effects made negative falloff exploit possible.
Unkind Omen
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#350 - 2013-01-22 13:46:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Unkind Omen
CCP, please consider decreasing volume taken by Cap Boosters of all sizes by at least two times. The most ridiculous stuff about your Ancillary shield boosters and reps is that they require cargo hold on combat ships to fit active tank. On the other hand you may just want to increase cargo space of active tanking ships or introduce a very special "Battery cargo hold" to them. Having only 4-5 loads of Cap Booster 800 is not enough for long range roamings. Permatanking is not an issue here since you have already managed to limit useful amount of ASB and AAR on ships to one per ship.

Update: Another weird but somewhat cool solution is to make Cap Boosters into `Empty Cap Booster` and introduce a module that will recharge them from ship's capacitor with efficiency of 60-70%. They will also wear off and eventually break down when used.
Sinzor Aumer
#351 - 2013-01-22 13:49:55 UTC
Jerick Ludhowe wrote:
Sinzor Aumer wrote:
Sean Parisi wrote:

Don't forget, all these modules should only be available in tech 1. That way no one has to make any choices when fitting them.

I think fozzie needs to be ousted as balance dev tbhEvil

I also vaguely remember attempts to make TC/TE/TD for missles.
Jeez, where is your imagination, guys? Who was the one to introduce capacitor with its amazing recharge curve? Find him, bring him back, pay him well. Or just sometime use brainstorms with us, players.
Sinzor Aumer
#352 - 2013-01-22 13:53:58 UTC
Unkind Omen wrote:
CCP, please consider decreasing volume taken by Cap Boosters of all sizes by at least two times.

No. Just remember once and for all - now you're cargohold-tanking. Not that realman-ish like hull tanking, but sure even more dumb.
Unkind Omen
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#353 - 2013-01-22 13:56:28 UTC
Sinzor Aumer wrote:
Unkind Omen wrote:
CCP, please consider decreasing volume taken by Cap Boosters of all sizes by at least two times.

No. Just remember once and for all - now you're cargohold-tanking. Not that realman-ish like hull tanking, but sure even more dumb.

That's not fair, I want some cargo space for loot! Twisted Why should I get no loot if target is unable to protect itself?
Edward Olmops
Gunboat Commando
#354 - 2013-01-22 13:59:18 UTC
Concerning math....

If I combine 3 Rigs that each give 100% bonus to the overheat bonus, what is going to happen?

Stacking:
1. 100%
2. 88%
3. 57%
(roughly)

which means the combined bonus is:
2 x 1,88 x 1,57 = 5,9

multiply the 10% rep amount by 5,9 => 59% bonus to rep amount. Nice.

multiply the 15% ROF bonus by 5,9 => 88,5% bonus to ROF. OmgwtfBBQop....wh000t?

Does that mean 8,7times as many cycles or am I somehow completely wrong?

Would mean: AAR loaded, overheated, 3 Rigs: like 2.25 x 1.59 x 8.7 = 31times the rep amount of a T1 repper (8.7times the cap usage plus the cap boosters).
or in other news:
push that button to instantly trade aall your cap, a molten repper and half a cargohold full of cap boosters a for a fully restored armor...
Unkind Omen
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#355 - 2013-01-22 14:01:08 UTC
Edward Olmops wrote:
Concerning math....

If I combine 3 Rigs that each give 100% bonus to the overheat bonus, what is going to happen?

Stacking:
1. 100%
2. 88%
3. 57%
(roughly)

which means the combined bonus is:
2 x 1,88 x 1,57 = 5,9

I guess it is 100%+100%+88%+57% = 345% here.
Rick Rymes
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#356 - 2013-01-22 14:03:19 UTC
Roime wrote:
John Nucleus wrote:

It tanks less with new bonus+SAAR than with old bonus Dual SAR II, but only for 7 cycles while still using half as much cap.

It adds more depth at least to a very one fit ship, A cap booster/AAR/t2 rep will still be awesome like the current dual rep Incursus but now a attacker has to worry if he is fit with a web or not.

The whole pg trade off seems a bit **** when all shield users gain is a bigger sig.

And why are trimarks/resist rigs still have a speed penalty, my underpowered buffer Punisher isnt aloud to go above 900m/s but the overpowered Incursus can go as fast as it likes Question
Jerick Ludhowe
Internet Tuff Guys
#357 - 2013-01-22 14:09:17 UTC
Rick Rymes wrote:

And why are trimarks/resist rigs still have a speed penalty, my underpowered buffer Punisher isnt aloud to go above 900m/s but the overpowered Incursus can go as fast as it likes Question

Agreed. Trimarks should be mass penatly as additional weight does not decrease speed outside of terribad physics models (aka eve). Resistance rigs should do something else entirely when it comes to drawbacks, your ship slowing down because your armor is "harder" just does not make much sense.
Pinky Denmark
The Cursed Navy
#358 - 2013-01-22 14:11:18 UTC
I can't believe I'm hearing whines about "large shield extenders fit much easier than 1600mm plates" and "shield boosters have much better burst tank than armor reps". Come on guys - shield and armor have always been different and you are forgetting plenty armor advantages like better standard resists, much lower cap consumption on armor reps and bigger plates available than shield extenders. can we have this discussion about the armor tank issues and why these changes are good and bad?

Having cooled down I looked at this again with fresh eyes :

Skillbook reducing plate mass with 25% : I think this will help a little on the skirmish area where shield tankers prevail due to being able to outrun and outmaneuver armor ships. But with velocity drawback still on half the armor rigs armor ships will only have a chance while active tanking and then they will likely be alpha'ed before getting tackle on a shield skirmisher... Interceptors will definately still be better off with a shield extender even if traditionally an armor ship!!

Skillbook enabling active reps to go nuts while overheating : Okay, I guess it's convenient. It has potential to compensate for the slow cycle times on reppers and most active rep ships I've used can spare a rig slot for this.
Rigs increasing powergrid? Go go autocannons on all active rep ships without a good racial gun bonus.

Base mass adjustment on plates with exceptions. Just make sure you have a logical pattern on those plates mass. Don't make 1600 and 400 stick out. People only use them because thats the biggest they can fit and not because of their mass penalty.

AAR gives armor tankers a few advantages:

More burst rep because active tanking today doesn't keep up with half the dps people bring. But why not boost active tanking in general because normal shield boosters doesn't work for pvp either unless you go officer mods and crystals with blue pills... Why not focus on the problem instead of making an alternative? It's fine to have mods with an alternate better burst tank, but the normal ones need a boost too, seriously.

Cap injected so basically save a cap booster, but armor tanking already use way less cap pr. hitpoint than shield boosting? There is a reson while armor tankers could run 2 armor reps easier than shield tankers could run a single shield booster and the shield booster needed an amp on top to get decent results when talking about effeciency. And honestly it seems like a cap booster is needed anyway for 2nd repper and most guns - It's not like most armor tankers have issues with enough medslots anyway... which means armor reppers will likely be able to keep their reps going even at 3/4 for normal cap while an ASB tanker just stops to exist because the latest nerf made single ASB useless in order to balance dual ASBs...

Don't think this is all it takes to fix armor tanking - It'll be like the hybrid buff that wasn't finished but just dropped in silence when you started focus on ships rather than looking into why people didn't use railguns and why people rarely used anything but antimatter with a few minor exceptions.

Pinky

PS. sorry for bittervet attitude, I mean it well..
Spugg Galdon
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#359 - 2013-01-22 14:21:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Spugg Galdon
Pinky..... Good points but you need to look at the numbers for armour vs shield boosting efficiency again.

A dual MAR II fit pushes 70HP/s at 2HP/ Cap unit
A Large SB II plus a SBA II pushes 81.6 HP/s at 2.267 HP/ Cap unit.

The Shield booster is actually more efficient than the armour. The difference in HP/s is actually equalised from the armours better resistance profile so EHP/s balance out

Standard armour repairers really need their efficiency increased to 3 HP/ cap unit.

But I agree with your other statements about "fixing what we've already got".
Edward Olmops
Gunboat Commando
#360 - 2013-01-22 14:22:20 UTC
Unkind Omen wrote:

I guess it is 100%+100%+88%+57% = 345% here.

Why? That would be the only place in EVE where a combined bonus would be calculated in this way...