These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Retribution 1.1] Armor Tanking 1.5

First post First post
Author
Dominia Yizkor
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#221 - 2013-01-22 01:25:51 UTC
Dominia Yizkor wrote:
Richard Stallmanu Stallmania wrote:
Fozzie, I truly love you for the new ship balances.

But allow me to speak my mind here.

The new push towards "Ancillary"/Burst tank mods does one thing, it leaves the "traditional" form of that tanking in the dust.
Ancillary booster's killed traditional active shield tanks.
Ancillary Armor Reppers will kill traditional active armor tanks.

Remember ASB Cyclones/Slieps/Maelstroms?
Yeah. No one wants that to come back. It was boring, and generally stupid.

What will happen post AAR's? Same stuff. One fit that has silly numbers and that everyone will be using.

In addition, CCP is listening to the foaming at the mouth forum posters that believe "Off-grid links" are "super mega overpowered", when in reality, like everything else in Eve, are an advantage gained via SP investment and ISK investment.
So once that change rolls into effect, there will be ZERO reason to use any traditional active tank, as off-grid links were the only thing that made them viable.

Please buff the TRADITIONAL style of active tanking. All the necessary mods, ships, fittings, and skills are already in place.

How do you do this? Easy.

Reduce cap usage on traditional shield boosters.
Reduce cycle time on armor repairers.

This makes both types of tanking very similar in function, but those with armor tanks will have the "Crowd-Control" provided by utility mid-slots, and active shield will boast more DPS at the cost of "Crowd-Control".

Adding new modules invalidates the use of the old.

I would like to bump this and see if Fozzie would kindly address these points (not the links part ofc, since this is all about the tanking) since I think this guy has some decent ideas, or at least ideas worth being addressed.

Zarnak Wulf
Task Force 641
Empyrean Edict
#222 - 2013-01-22 01:30:24 UTC
With a 3% PG implant I would make the Brutix:

High:
Neutron Blasters II x 7
Mid:
Experimental MWD
Small cap booster II
Fleeting Propulsion Inhibitor
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler
Low:
MAAR
DC II
EANM II x 2
MFS II x 2
Rigs:
Armor nano pump
Armor overheat rig x 2

With damage implants and drones you can get 700-900 DPS between Null and Void. The small cap booster along with the considerable cap buff will insure you get your 9 charges worth out of the MAAR and keep your guns firing. Balls out like a proper Gallente ship.
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#223 - 2013-01-22 01:39:46 UTC
Veshta Yoshida wrote:

[Brutix, ]
Medium Armor Repairer I
800mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
Damage Control II
2x Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
Warp Scrambler II
Fleeting Propulsion Inhibitor I
[empty med slot] choose your poison .. would go for twin or TD .. ~50 grid left

7x Heavy Neutron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge M

2x Medium Ancillary Current Router I
Medium Trimark Armor Pump I (place holder for new rig)

Funny thing is the repairer, just 4 heated cycles and it adds more armour than a 1600 plate would have added .. kind of nasty.

Yeah I was talking to Zarnak about a fit like that. It feels like burning 2 rig slots for Neutrons and not even having enough grid left for a cap booster on an active tank fit is a bad plan.

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#224 - 2013-01-22 01:41:36 UTC
Zarnak Wulf wrote:
With a 3% PG implant I would make the Brutix:

High:
Neutron Blasters II x 7
Mid:
Experimental MWD
Small cap booster II
Fleeting Propulsion Inhibitor
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler
Low:
MAAR
DC II
EANM II x 2
MFS II x 2
Rigs:
Armor nano pump
Armor overheat rig x 2

With damage implants and drones you can get 700-900 DPS between Null and Void. The small cap booster along with the considerable cap buff will insure you get your 9 charges worth out of the MAAR and keep your guns firing. Balls out like a proper Gallente ship.

What kind of tank do you get out of it? I'm guessing it's something approaching 600-700 overheated?

-Liang

Zarnak Wulf
Task Force 641
Empyrean Edict
#225 - 2013-01-22 01:46:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Zarnak Wulf
It will fit if you skip the plate. You will get about 1300 out of each of your 9 cycles.

Edit: I'm working off of a little iPhone app but ~480 plus whatever the overheat rigs would add to that.
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#226 - 2013-01-22 01:49:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Liang Nuren
Zarnak Wulf wrote:
It will fit if you skip the plate. You will get about 1300 out of each of your 9 cycles.

Hummmmm..... I need to play with it.

-Liang

Ed: Still kinda skeptical. But I'll withhold judgment.

Unforgiven Storm
Eternity INC.
Goonswarm Federation
#227 - 2013-01-22 02:00:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Unforgiven Storm
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Xenuria wrote:
I have a question, what about 1600mm Plates? Why are they excluded from the bonus? I personally never use anything smaller than those for plates.

The fact that nobody uses anything other than 1600mm and 400mm plates is why they are excluded from the bonus Smile
The 800mm and 200mm change is to help narrow that gap a bit (I know it doesn't narrow it all the way) and the 50mm change is there just to keep OCD people happy.

1600s still get the benefit of the new skill.

since you are messing with these modules are you going to change them in a way the T2 becomes better than a M4, because nowadays since bonus are the same (for example the 1600 give 4200 bonus in m4 or t2) but M4 fitting requirements are much better, so everyone fits M4 plates instead of T2

By having the same bonus t2 plates sucks when compared with the m4 versions, please fix this

Unforgiven Storm for CSM 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13. (If I don't get in in the next 5 years I will quit trying) :-)

Unforgiven Storm
Eternity INC.
Goonswarm Federation
#228 - 2013-01-22 02:07:09 UTC
double post

Unforgiven Storm for CSM 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13. (If I don't get in in the next 5 years I will quit trying) :-)

fukier
Gallente Federation
#229 - 2013-01-22 02:07:42 UTC
Unforgiven Storm wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Xenuria wrote:
I have a question, what about 1600mm Plates? Why are they excluded from the bonus? I personally never use anything smaller than those for plates.

The fact that nobody uses anything other than 1600mm and 400mm plates is why they are excluded from the bonus Smile
The 800mm and 200mm change is to help narrow that gap a bit (I know it doesn't narrow it all the way) and the 50mm change is there just to keep OCD people happy.

since you are messing with these modules are you going to change them in a way the T2 becomes better than a M4, because nowadays since bonus are the same (4200) but M4 fitting requirements are mutch better, everyone fits M4 plates instead of T2

t2 plates sucks, please fix them

they already did tech II 1600 gives 4800... try reading patch notes it helps...
At the end of the game both the pawn and the Queen go in the same box.
Colman Dietmar
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#230 - 2013-01-22 02:10:33 UTC
I don't have sufficient knowledge on all applications of armor tanking, so speaking only from the perspective of medium-sized repairer use in low-to-med SP PVE.

Both active tanks (shield and armor) are severely inferior to passive shield tanking. Even against EM/thermal rats passive tank is either same as or better than the active armor tank on most ships. The reason for this, as I see it, is either the bad capacitor efficiency of the repair systems, or low per-module repair ammount. If you fit many repair modules, you can repair enough DPS but run into severe capacitor issues that you cannot compensate even by sacrificing all the spare slots you have left. If you fit few repair modules, you can't get a DPS tank comparable to passive shields even if you use everything you have for tank support mods.

And if this brings a though of nerfing passive tanking, by doing that you would just hurt low-SP PVE pilots, which I think don't need to be hurt any more.

As for the PVP, main reason I'm avoiding armor tanks in there is how armor rigs hurt ones mobility. In my experience, mobility is the key to survival, so hurting that in favor of EHP doesn't seem to help much. Maybe with the changes to the armor repair rigs I'll have options of using armor tank in PVP, but I'd really like seeing the resistance rigs penalty changed as well.

Finally, I know how it is a special thing about armor tank and all, but having some options to augument armor tank with med slots would be VERY helpful. And no, not by capacitor boosters. Right now you have med+low slots helping you with your shield tank, and only low slots helping with armor. This is an obvious inferiority.
Unforgiven Storm
Eternity INC.
Goonswarm Federation
#231 - 2013-01-22 02:12:08 UTC
fukier wrote:
Unforgiven Storm wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Xenuria wrote:

since you are messing with these modules are you going to change them in a way the T2 becomes better than a M4, because nowadays since bonus are the same (4200) but M4 fitting requirements are mutch better, everyone fits M4 plates instead of T2

t2 plates sucks, please fix them

they already did tech II 1600 gives 4800... try reading patch notes it helps...

ups, I was getting this info from here http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/1600mm_Reinforced_Steel_Plates_II

totally outdated them

/ignore

Debir Achen
Makiriemi Holdings
#232 - 2013-01-22 02:12:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Debir Achen
ghost st wrote:
I mean if you look at turret tracking, speed (well Transvaal) is much more important than signature radius. You can have a high sig radius but be relatively unaffected if you can still move. But if you cant move, even a ludicrously small sig radius wont help you.
A 10% speed penalty and a 10% increase in sig radius have an identical effect on the tracking calculation.

Of course, it's not quite that simple. Mass doesn't affect nominal max speed, but it does significantly affect agility and max speed under prop mod. For added fun, the % affect to max prop mod speed is less than the % affect to the ship's mass, though it gets closer the greater the mass of your ship.

In contrast, an increase in sig has no affect on ship handling, though it does also make the ship easier to lock.

Aren't Caldari supposed to have a large signature?

Freighdee Katt
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#233 - 2013-01-22 02:17:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Freighdee Katt
Galatea Galilei wrote:
Coming from a PvE perspective, active armor tanking is not unusable, but it's so bad relative to shield tanking that I can easily fit a cap-stable shield tank on my Myrmidon that tanks more DPS than a cap-stable twin-MAR armor tank, even though the Myrm has bonuses for armor tanking! You're better off ignoring the bonuses and fitting a shield tank to maximize your sustained tank.

The new rig only helps when overheating, and besides I can't very well use it when I need three CCC rigs, two cap rechargers, and a cap power relay just to make the dual MAR fit stable. The other rig changes just remove the speed penalty, and do nothing to affect the fact that even a twin-MAR setup on a bonused ship doesn't heal as much damage as a passive shield tank on a ship that doesn't even have resist bonuses.

The proposed changes don't seem to come anywhere close to putting a dent into the inferiority of armor tanking...

Pretty much this. This whole set of changes seems like just throwing a weird, needlessly tweaky and kinda useless new module and yet another batch of one-off "must train to V" skills at the problem instead of just making a balance pass on the fundamentals.

If you wanted to get armor tanking back on track, you should have been looking at fundamentals like:

- Having the rep hit at the start instead of the end of the cycle
- Making standard reppers run faster with the same cap use, or just rep more
- Buffing hull active rep bonuses across the board to 10%
- Buffing base armor resist values across the board to give armor tanking some sort of basis for seriously competing with shield features like passive recharge and dual/triple/quad/lolASB tanking

If you wanted to get clever dealing with the speed disparity, how about something really nice like a role bonus for some hulls that negates 80% of the armor rig / plate speed penalty for the designated buffer tank / PvP boats?

As it is, this doesn't feel like "balance" at all, just a random set of things that will bring a bunch of unintended consequences, aggravate the already out of control SP bloat that is going on with the "rebalancing," and not even touch the fundamental issues that have been discussed over and over here for ages.

EvE is supposed to suck.  Wait . . . what was the question?

Iyacia Cyric'ai
Lai Dai Counterintelligence
#234 - 2013-01-22 02:25:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Iyacia Cyric'ai
Freighdee Katt wrote:
Galatea Galilei wrote:
Coming from a PvE perspective, active armor tanking is not unusable, but it's so bad relative to shield tanking that I can easily fit a cap-stable shield tank on my Myrmidon that tanks more DPS than a cap-stable twin-MAR armor tank, even though the Myrm has bonuses for armor tanking! You're better off ignoring the bonuses and fitting a shield tank to maximize your sustained tank.

The new rig only helps when overheating, and besides I can't very well use it when I need three CCC rigs, two cap rechargers, and a cap power relay just to make the dual MAR fit stable. The other rig changes just remove the speed penalty, and do nothing to affect the fact that even a twin-MAR setup on a bonused ship doesn't heal as much damage as a passive shield tank on a ship that doesn't even have resist bonuses.

The proposed changes don't seem to come anywhere close to putting a dent into the inferiority of armor tanking...

Pretty much this. This whole set of changes seems like just throwing a weird, needlessly tweaky and kinda useless new module and yet another batch of one-off "must train to V" skills at the problem instead of just making a balance pass on the fundamentals.

If you wanted to get armor tanking back on track, you should have been looking at fundamentals like:

- Having the rep hit at the start instead of the end of the cycle
- Making standard reppers run faster with the same cap use, or just rep more
- Buffing hull active rep bonuses across the board to 10%
- Buffing base armor resist values across the board to give armor tanking some sort of basis for seriously competing with shield features like passive recharge and dual/triple/quad/lolASB tanking

If you wanted to get clever dealing with the speed disparity, how about something really nice like a role bonus for some hulls that negates 80% of the armor rig / plate speed penalty for the designated buffer tank / PvP boats?

As it is, this doesn't feel like "balance" at all, just a random set of things that will bring a bunch of unintended consequences, aggravate the already out of control SP bloat that is going on with the "rebalancing," and not even touch the fundamental issues that have been discussed over and over here for ages.

Except small armor repairers aren't bad and the issue with large armor repairers is the ridiculous fitting requirements that require you to downgrade to the smallest class of large guns. Only medium armor repairers scale poorly (as evidenced by the need to fit triple reps on the Myrm to make it a competitive ship). The other issue is that the speed/agility penalty of armor plates inhibits solo work (which the current proposal seems to address). Buffing resists across the board is just nonsensical and serves only to make buffer armor stronger, which is completely unneeded as they already reign superior to a lot of shield setups in fleet doctrines (Zealot/Abaddon fleets will be ridiculous).
General Foom
Foomonopoly
#235 - 2013-01-22 02:27:13 UTC  |  Edited by: General Foom
Liang Nuren wrote:
Zarnak Wulf wrote:

-Liang

dudes

the new Brutix has 7 lows and 50 extra grid

Edit: er 6.......nvm lol.
thx Liang for correction
whoops..

banning self from posting for at least 5 mins
Cethion
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#236 - 2013-01-22 02:28:38 UTC
I see a lot of good in this change. I like the addition of the new rig, and the changes to the current active tanking armor rigs, the new skill and plate changes will make armor tanking a lot more viable, but I don't think the problem is solved by the addition of a new module. Sure, the AAR provides a nice burst tank, and it invites comparison between it and the ASB. If you do want to differentiate between burst and sustained tank so much, then they should both be limited to one per ship rather than just having ASBs capable of getting around the reload times with multiple fit modules, but that's just a gripe about inconsistent application of a philosophy towards tanking.

This doesn't fix the 'sustained' armor repairers. It does make active tanked ships more agile and, certainly, faster, but it will still take 2-3 active modules to be able to withstand any reasonable dps, on a ship with bonuses. Maybe this is the intent, but that is a huge chunk of your lowslots devoted to this, and that's before consideration of something like damage mods or armor resist mods.

Rather than this new module, I'd rather see 'sustained' armor reppers get a little buff. Nothing huge, mind you, just enough to make them viable.

Co-host of Down the Pipe

DarthNefarius
Minmatar Heavy Industries
#237 - 2013-01-22 02:35:32 UTC
As an Incursion PvE armour fleet pilot I'm unimpressed with everything announced here narrowing the differences between shields getting thier reps at the beginning of thier cycles and being to load up on damage mods in thier lo's... they even have a tracking enhancer mod which goes in the low too which is the equivenant of the tracking computer mod in the mid.

An' then Chicken@little.com, he come scramblin outta the    Terminal room screaming "The system's crashing! The system's    crashing!" -Uncle RAMus, 'Tales for Cyberpsychotic Children'
Vyktor Abyss
Abyss Research
#238 - 2013-01-22 02:41:50 UTC
I've not fully digested all these changes and the impact it will have on pvp yet so I can't really comment on the changes.

However I'd like to make a more general point :

You have consistently boosted the average tank of most ships, either passive, resists or active tanks with new modules, better gang boosts (from T3) etc...

Why can't you look at and give some boosts to 'Gank' fits - specifically the offensive rigs with horrible penalties, stacking penalties, and calibration points that make them far less useful than just adding more tank via a trimark/shield extender or whatever that isn't stacking penalised.

It seems to me after the changes the soloists out there will be looking at even more pvp grinds that become more a matter of who runs out of cap booster charges first. Gank fitting should be a viable option too and right now it is rarely close to winning against a tank setup - not to mention turning most 'fights' into bait 'n' ganks due to the ease of over-tanking.

Just a broader point. Cheers.
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#239 - 2013-01-22 02:43:01 UTC
General Foom wrote:
Liang Nuren wrote:
Zarnak Wulf wrote:

-Liang

dudes

the new Brutix has 7 lows and 50 extra grid

I must have missed the +2 low slots.

-Liang

Shaak'Ti
The Public Enemy.
#240 - 2013-01-22 02:43:47 UTC
awesome.. but I think there is one more little thing to make active armortanking in line with active shield tanking..

..teh pirate implant set