These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Care-bears may be physically unable to PvP

First post
Author
Shadowschild
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#101 - 2013-01-18 17:21:56 UTC
Tarn Kugisa wrote:
I don't do PvP often, even though I'm in nullsec, mainly because I either don't have the forsight to buy a few PvP ships, or I'm too poor when it happens to buy any.

I checked your evekill history. You average 1 kill a month & you live in nullsec.
Unless you have a 2nd account that pvps, i would definately concider you a carebear.

Hell even I concider myself to be a bit of a carebare because if there is no scheduled op, im out making iskes.
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#102 - 2013-01-18 17:23:51 UTC  |  Edited by: silens vesica
Corey Fumimasa wrote:

Or being able to produce faulty modules and sell them on the open market (at a loss of course). Or self destruct ships that are like mega smart bombs!

Never mind PvP - THIS is an idea that makes me giggle like Dr. Evil on a nitrox high.

Maybe set the chance of manufacturing bogus modules depend on one's industrial skills queue and how high it's been developed - All 'V' == no faulty modules. Lower skills, higher % of faulty modules.

Maybe fautls can range from lower output or reduced range to random failures whilst in use... Maybe even blowing up, in case of particularly bad units, doing damage to structure and wiping out the modules to either side of them in their bank?

OK, OK - so - unlikely. But still a fun thought. Twisted

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#103 - 2013-01-18 17:29:21 UTC
Shadowschild wrote:
Tarn Kugisa wrote:
I don't do PvP often, even though I'm in nullsec, mainly because I either don't have the forsight to buy a few PvP ships, or I'm too poor when it happens to buy any.

I checked your evekill history. You average 1 kill a month & you live in nullsec.
Unless you have a 2nd account that pvps, i would definately concider you a carebear.

Hell even I concider myself to be a bit of a carebare because if there is no scheduled op, im out making iskes.

There's nothing wrong with carebearing. Its a valid and a fun play style.

There are carebears who refuse to participate in the game because they fear loss of isk. These people would like to see Eve changed to support their risk free idea of play. Which would ruin Eve. Call them extrebears or horribles.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#104 - 2013-01-18 17:33:24 UTC
Corey Fumimasa wrote:
Clementina wrote:
I'm going to let the carebears here in on a little secret.

PvPers get afraid during combat too.

The pain of loss, The humiliation of possibly being chastised for a shitfit, the fear of defeat in battle, and the ennui of just being able to witness your warped, webbed and scrambled ship circle the drain is something that happens to PvPers as well as carebears.

A game that elicits the kind of physical reaction that I have felt in Eve is a very rare thing. It is perhaps CCP's greatest achievement, and perhaps one of the most important dynamics ever developed re computer simulations.

This feeling must be respected and encouraged and fostered by the player base.

Perhaps I'm wrong about bears and their frozen fingers locked around the keyboard, good.

What is obvious is that some people don't like it, even if they do like combat missions. Is there some mechanic that would be fun for those players that would allow them to engage in ship PvP?
They like building things and planning skill tree's and ? How could those activities be applied to PvP?

I have looked into this issue for a good long time. What the PvP combat adverse players are afraid of is stress. A confrontational interaction with another person is what causes the physical reaction you mention. For some that gives them The Rush, and is desirable. For others its just a pile of stress that leaves them feeling drained and even sick, and is to be avoided.

Why do such players even play eve? Because its the best space MMO on the market, and with a little care the stressful situations can be avoided the majority of the time. Do you know a better space MMO for such players?

Adding new ways for there to be confrontational interaction will not change the issue. The stress adverse player will avoid them too. But what if we dropped down from "confrontational" to "competitive" interaction. Examples in game are the market and high sec exploration (whoever finds it first and does it fast gets the reward).

An example: Solar systems that can be claimed by an alliance via doing more industry and NPC killing there than any other alliance. I'm not sure how to really do this as a war dec would escalate the competition for system ownership to being confrontational, but its a thought.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Some Rando
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#105 - 2013-01-18 17:33:33 UTC
Corey Fumimasa wrote:
Amen. How would you feel about big ugly rats created by some mad industrialist and sent to destroy you on occasion.

Sound on par with AFK mining, people wanting to play the game without actually playing.

CCP has no sense of humour.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#106 - 2013-01-18 18:05:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Vincent Athena wrote:

I have looked into this issue for a good long time. What the PvP combat adverse players are afraid of is stress. A confrontational interaction with another person is what causes the physical reaction you mention. For some that gives them The Rush, and is desirable. For others its just a pile of stress that leaves them feeling drained and even sick, and is to be avoided.

Why do such players even play eve? Because its the best space MMO on the market, and with a little care the stressful situations can be avoided the majority of the time. Do you know a better space MMO for such players?

Star Trek Online.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/01/11/a-quick-star-trek-online-pvp-interview-with-jack-emmert/

Jack Emmert wrote:
Massively: How integral is PvP play to Star Trek Online as a whole?

Jack Emmert: All of our PvP is optional and consensual.

If I had despised "confrontation" and had a choice between a game built upon the idea of non-consensual pvp and a game like STO, I'd pick STO.

Quote:

Adding new ways for there to be confrontational interaction will not change the issue. The stress adverse player will avoid them too. But what if we dropped down from "confrontational" to "competitive" interaction. Examples in game are the market and high sec exploration (whoever finds it first and does it fast gets the reward).

An example: Solar systems that can be claimed by an alliance via doing more industry and NPC killing there than any other alliance. I'm not sure how to really do this as a war dec would escalate the competition for system ownership to being confrontational, but its a thought.

A person who doesn't not like Stress and Confrontation (and loss, remember EVEs harsh death penalty) choosing to play EVE online is like choosing swimming as a hobby when you are allergic to Chlorine. No amount of rationalizing will make one such as that NOT allergic to chlorine.
Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#107 - 2013-01-18 18:06:39 UTC
Some Rando wrote:
Corey Fumimasa wrote:
Amen. How would you feel about big ugly rats created by some mad industrialist and sent to destroy you on occasion.

Sound on par with AFK mining, people wanting to play the game without actually playing.

IDK the AFK thing doesn't bother me at all. The skill que is kind of AFK playing, as is research, trading, production, PI and I'm sure a host of other stuff. So the game already supports that kind of play, nothing wrong with it. Especially when it is balanced by greater risk and lower reward.
Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#108 - 2013-01-18 18:13:32 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

A person who doesn't not like Stress and Confrontation (and loss, remember EVEs harsh death penalty) choosing to play EVE online is like choosing swimming as a hobby when you are allergic to Chlorine. No amount of rationalizing will make one such as that NOT allergic to chlorine.

And yet they are here, they stay. Maybe they are not opposed to risk and stress, rather they just can't pilot ships in combat situations for whatever reason.
The goons are always saying that the health of the Eve economy is based on destruction, relies on it.
What options exist to destroy the ISK of your enemies outside of direct combat? Something that the bears could participate in.
Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#109 - 2013-01-18 18:18:15 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:

That is interesting. Maybe massive bonuses for a bear corp in highsec when fighting in a system that it owns. And a requirement for merc corps to destroy a certain number of beacons or run certain missions before they can assault a POS in a system "owned" by the bear corp.
Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#110 - 2013-01-18 18:31:31 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
Corey Fumimasa wrote:
Clementina wrote:
I'm going to let the carebears here in on a little secret. PvPers get afraid during combat too. The pain of loss, The humiliation of possibly being chastised for a shitfit, the fear of defeat in battle, and the ennui of just being able to witness your warped, webbed and scrambled ship circle the drain is something that happens to PvPers as well as carebears.
A game that elicits the kind of physical reaction that I have felt in Eve is a very rare thing. It is perhaps CCP's greatest achievement, and perhaps one of the most important dynamics ever developed re computer simulations. This feeling must be respected and encouraged and fostered by the player base. Perhaps I'm wrong about bears and their frozen fingers locked around the keyboard, good. What is obvious is that some people don't like it, even if they do like combat missions. Is there some mechanic that would be fun for those players that would allow them to engage in ship PvP? They like building things and planning skill tree's and ? How could those activities be applied to PvP?
I have looked into this issue for a good long time. What the PvP combat adverse players are afraid of is stress. A confrontational interaction with another person is what causes the physical reaction you mention. For some that gives them The Rush, and is desirable. For others its just a pile of stress that leaves them feeling drained and even sick, and is to be avoided. Why do such players even play eve? Because its the best space MMO on the market, and with a little care the stressful situations can be avoided the majority of the time. Do you know a better space MMO for such players? Adding new ways for there to be confrontational interaction will not change the issue. The stress adverse player will avoid them too. But what if we dropped down from "confrontational" to "competitive" interaction. Examples in game are the market and high sec exploration (whoever finds it first and does it fast gets the reward). An example: Solar systems that can be claimed by an alliance via doing more industry and NPC killing there than any other alliance. I'm not sure how to really do this as a war dec would escalate the competition for system ownership to being confrontational, but its a thought.

For some the root might be aversion to stress. But I think for most, PVP is just more "hardcore gaming," (i.e. intensive gameplay and time commitment) than they can get into or want to get into. If you think about it, you need a lot of game knowledge to be any good at PVP. You might face any one of hundreds of different ship types and mod types. Learning about them doesn't just happen, you have to spend the time to read up on them. And it also helps if you keep up with the latest nerfs and buffs. That knowledge doesn't just jump in the boat, you have to do some homework. That's just one example of game knowledge you need to be effective at PVP.

The other thing is time commitment for the gaming session itself. Solo PVP pretty much seems to be a goner. So that means either doing something that requires committing to a fleet (low sec gang roam, null blobs, gate camps, whatever). As we all know, group activities don't happen instantly. They take time to set up, it takes time to get everywhere where they're going, all that. I lot of times I'd like to do some PVP, but I don't have two or three hours continuous to commit to a fleet op. I'm not going to get in fleet, then once we get set up, say 'Sorry guys, got to log, good luck.'

Bottom line is I think PVP is more hardcore gaming, in that it requires more intensive effort and time commitments. Not everybody has the time for that.
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#111 - 2013-01-18 18:31:40 UTC
I think it's just the long grind to get stuff that does it, and then, you just get the stuff blown up.

The main problem with PVP is that it's rife with what I call "stupid ship loss". In order to be able to absorb it, you have to grind the ISK or materials to get more ships - to lose. Now this might be the name of the game for a lot of people, but a large portion of the player base gets so caught up in acquiring the funds and materials for PVP that they become wound up in that as the goal and then become reluctant for it all to go up in pixel smoke.

Imagine that you are going to enter a car into a demolition derby. For those of you who don't know, a demolition derby is a kind of race or competition whereby you wreck cars.

If you can get a car for free, or for say 100 bucks, throw some numbers on it, and then go destroy it, it's no big deal.

Now imagine that you have to work a second job for several months to pay say $3000 dollars for a car to enter in the demolition derby.

Imagine that in order to survive more than two seconds in the event, you have to put in an expensive roll cage, a high performance engine, etc. Imagine you have to go through the trouble of assembling these yourself.

How willing will you be to destroy this car?

The trouble with EvE PVP is that it's a demolition derby of sorts, but you have to grind PVe (very boring PVe if not mining rocks) to get the stuff.

What's the solution? The solution is either to find some means of making ships more available, such as free rookie ships with more combat capability (or perhaps a different kind of combat-ready rookie ship for militia members in FW) with less grind, or change the nature of PVP such that combat vessels get the same kind of support and logistics that a RL warship gets. Even tanks don't just go afield without infantry support. EvE PVP is gate camps and "Primary-F1" blobbageddons and that comprises for the most part an anti-climactic outcome.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Shadowschild
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#112 - 2013-01-18 18:43:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Shadowschild
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
I think it's just the long grind to get stuff that does it, and then, you just get the stuff blown up.

The main problem with PVP is that it's rife with what I call "stupid ship loss". In order to be able to absorb it, you have to grind the ISK or materials to get more ships - to lose. Now this might be the name of the game for a lot of people, but a large portion of the player base gets so caught up in acquiring the funds and materials for PVP that they become wound up in that as the goal and then become reluctant for it all to go up in pixel smoke.

Imagine that you are going to enter a car into a demolition derby. For those of you who don't know, a demolition derby is a kind of race or competition whereby you wreck cars.

If you can get a car for free, or for say 100 bucks, throw some numbers on it, and then go destroy it, it's no big deal.

Now imagine that you have to work a second job for several months to pay say $3000 dollars for a car to enter in the demolition derby.

Imagine that in order to survive more than two seconds in the event, you have to put in an expensive roll cage, a high performance engine, etc. Imagine you have to go through the trouble of assembling these yourself.

The trouble with EvE PVP is that it's a demolition derby of sorts, but you have to grind PVe (very boring PVe if not mining rocks) to get the stuff.

What's the solution? The solution is either to find some means of making ships more available, such as free rookie ships with more combat capability (or perhaps a different kind of combat-ready rookie ship for militia members in FW) with less grind, or change the nature of PVP such that combat vessels get the same kind of support and logistics that a RL warship gets. Even tanks don't just go afield without infantry support. EvE PVP is gate camps and "Primary-F1" blobbageddons and that comprises for the most part an anti-climactic outcome.

Your comparison makes no sense. In fact, your entire post is wrong.

This is how it really works:
1) You get into a null corp.
2) Start running hubs/havens/sanctums (or w/e)
3) Slowly assemble 1 of each fleet doctrine ship you can fly over time.
4) Use such ships when you can make the ops.
5) Get on killboard.

If you lose it, you get REINBURSED for the hull + insurance payout. Anyone who just carebears instead needs to be kicked in the nuts & poded back to empire.
Itis Zhellin
#113 - 2013-01-18 18:46:59 UTC
Tbh, EVE have no pvp. The only real pvp is on the market. Shooting dots in space is nothing more like a smart phone app. Right click on your face and go boom is more like and xcel formula. Indeed, require more IQ than usual, but it still like a software not a game.

Now combine that with the primitive gankers whom wanna convince every new payer that mining is bad.. and you have the real picture why EVE is a "family business". Every new face is raped and forced into the vets playstyle and ofc I point to this oldie gang called goons that tend to take over every game they like. This oldish "grandpa" humor, the hunt for so called tears is driving any new player away. I mean.. you wanna try EVE, then this old dude show around and start his old jokes and gank you in the name of trololol then he start a blog bout how smart he is and how easy he can grief the noobs.

I said bad things about goongams, but that is pointed only to the primitive army and their drug dependent leader. I have a HUGE respect to the veteran goons whom doing market pvp and indy.. those guys are the most brilliant brains in this game. When a goon indy leader post on the forum, is like a dev blog. When mittan post.. is like a flush in the toilet. No offense pls.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#114 - 2013-01-18 18:53:03 UTC
Corey Fumimasa wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

And yet they are here, they stay. Maybe they are not opposed to risk and stress, rather they just can't pilot ships in combat situations for whatever reason.
The goons are always saying that the health of the Eve economy is based on destruction, relies on it.
What options exist to destroy the ISK of your enemies outside of direct combat? Something that the bears could participate in.

Seriously? You mean other than spying and corp theft? It's not that hard. Join an alliance and step up to the plate as the logistics guy. You don't even have to steal anything; just let all the POS go dark.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#115 - 2013-01-18 18:54:33 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

Personally? VERY.

Because it's a demolition derby, not "preserve your car you should be in in the 1st place because it took you several months to grind it" derby.

There is not wrong with not wanting to trash your car, but you shouldn't be competing in demolition derbies if that is the case.

The problem here isn't some magical barrier to pvp in the game that doesn't exist (I can run for 1 HQ site for enough isk for a pvp cruiser for example). it's the people and their choices (and sense of entitlement), with a little bit of impatience and not being creative enough to figure out how to make quick isk for pvp habits.

Thousands of EVE players pvp everyday, demonstrating that it's just not hard at all to find a way to do it. When you start trying to find ways to encourage people to pvp who can't figure it out on their own, you start to change the fundamental nature of the game. Anyone who wants pvp can figure it out just like all of us who pvp (i partake sometimes, when I feel like it) did.

Quote:

For a solution to exist you need a problem, and I don't see one. The eve economy is humming along so where is this need to force of entice more people to pvp? Where is the dire need to lower barriers in some way?

I don't care if people pvp or not (as long as they accept the consequences of doin their own thing" in a pvp-centric game where people can and will screw with you for no reason, we're cool) and see no evidence pointing for a need for radical change.
Piugattuk
Litla Sundlaugin
#116 - 2013-01-18 18:55:26 UTC
Being the supreme parasite carebear I tell you I pvp when the mood hits me, but it's of little interest I have to be inspired otherwise I feel nothing for it.

And when I do I am looking for a laugh at the ridicules way I get blown up.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#117 - 2013-01-18 18:59:59 UTC
Corey Fumimasa wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

And if someone has such a reason why they can't fly a space ship in a spaceship game, they need more help than any game designer can help them with lol.

Quote:

It's not the Goons who say it, it's CCP (i know i know, same thing right lol). Seems to me the economy is working fine, or is their a bread line of out of work ship builders I haven't seen in Jita Cool .

I simply think that it's good for a pvp game to require some effort and thought before being successful at an activity. Making things easier for people who don't or can't overcome simple problems (the simple problems all of us who pvp have already figured out) is not a good move. It's like saying "Chess is too hard" and letting people use Checkers rules instead.
Hestia Mar
Calmaretto
#118 - 2013-01-18 19:01:11 UTC
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
I think CCP should fly around and randomly gank people who have never been killed, just to show them that this game is made for PvPers for PvP purposes.

Wrong, wrong, wrong...it may have been the intention for EVE to be a pvp game, but that's not what it has become. The simple massive majority of players who stay in hi-sec and don't pvp are testament to that. Get used to it my friend, you're the minority in our game now.

And please don't bring up the usual 'market trading is pvp' argument - that's competition, not pvp
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#119 - 2013-01-18 19:10:59 UTC
Itis Zhellin wrote:
Tbh, EVE have no pvp...

That's one of the stupidest statements I've ever heard.

No offence pls.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#120 - 2013-01-18 19:16:42 UTC
Itis Zhellin wrote:
Tbh,blablablablablablablaballalbnalabhalahaanalabaabalanbaljabkla is like a flush in the toilet. No offense pls.

Did you actually say something there?