These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Wormholes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

A Gripe about C4 combat sites

Author
Svodola Darkfury
Cloak and Daggers
The Initiative.
#1 - 2013-01-17 20:31:27 UTC
Let me be very clear:

This is a nitpicking gripe. I love wormholes. I love the money we make here. But this just flat-out BUGS me.

Problem: Why do the rats spawn over 100km away in C4 combat sites?

Why is it a problem: They don't spawn this far away in any other type of wormhole that I'm aware (but I haven't tried C6).

Why it's annoying: C4 wormholers have long had to put on their hiking boots to get to the rats, or use long-range fits (100km max hit, <20km minimum hit) to remain effective. I know you get some spawns in C1-C3 where the rats are about 70km away, but even that felt a little excessive at the time. Fortunately the rats burn in at you like there's no tomorrow. In C4s, some of the rats' optimals are shooting from 60-70km (upholders and preservers come to mind).

Is this fixable without improving ISK/HR for the C4 population?
I would say yes; spawn the rats at 70km (hell even 80km) from the warp-to-zero spot instead of anywhere from 90-180km away. You'll still need something of a ranged fit to run effectively (no blaster rokhs still) but you won't be spending 30-60 seconds staring at that wave in the Radar that spawned 220km away thinking to yourself "... really? Why is that necessary?'

TLDR;
This was a gripe about the distance that rats spawn from you in C4s. Their difficulty is fine. Everything else about balance between wormholes, etc. is fine. C4s are the only wormholes with combat sites that have rats spawning at distances over 100km as far as I'm aware, and it's totally a quality of life improvement. YES, I can live with the rats taking 30-60 seconds to burn into me, I just don't understand why they're spawning out of their OWN optimal range. If they were shooting me from 200km we would strap on micro jump drives, but they're not. They're burning into 70km cursing their bad warp-ins.

Svodola Darkfury, probably 1000+ C4 anomalies in and still grinding...

Director of Frozen Corpse Industries.

Winthorp
#2 - 2013-01-17 20:50:50 UTC
Why my tengu no work anymore.
lanyaie
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#3 - 2013-01-17 21:03:49 UTC
So fit a propulsion module :)

Spaceprincess

People who put passwords on char bazaar Eveboards are the worst.

Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#4 - 2013-01-17 21:13:53 UTC
Meh,

We don't have much of an issue.

Frontier Barracks. Sure the first wave starts about 95lm from the warp in. But if you know where the other spawns are you can easily slowboat around to ensure you are in range when they arrive. We have no issues here.

Frontier command post. Same basic game as barracks. May take 20 seconds or so to start up on that first wave, but they are frigs to they burn in fast.

Sleeper Information Sanctum. All close range, so no issue.

Integrated terminus. Honestly we run these almost never so I don't even remember. we always clear the Barracks and command posts first.

Yes Radar's and Mags are stupid long range. But F them anyhow.

The flip side is C4's are so much emptier that it is far easier to find farmable systems than C3's. So you waste far less time rolling the hole to find one.

Hathrul
NED-Clan
Goonswarm Federation
#5 - 2013-01-17 21:14:26 UTC
in c6 you dont have that problem

from what i remember from our c4 days....you could burn in the opposite direction during th earlier spawns in the site and then warp to a structure in site to get in closer range instantly
Jack Miton
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#6 - 2013-01-17 21:20:28 UTC
C4s and C5s spawn at long range.
It's because they're designed for BSs.

C1-2 are designed for BCs, C3s for BCs/BSs and then C6s are setup perfectly for running for T3s and logi support.

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

Svodola Darkfury
Cloak and Daggers
The Initiative.
#7 - 2013-01-18 01:48:21 UTC
Derath Ellecon wrote:
Meh,

We don't have much of an issue.

Frontier Barracks. Sure the first wave starts about 95lm from the warp in. But if you know where the other spawns are you can easily slowboat around to ensure you are in range when they arrive. We have no issues here.

Frontier command post. Same basic game as barracks. May take 20 seconds or so to start up on that first wave, but they are frigs to they burn in fast.

Sleeper Information Sanctum. All close range, so no issue.

Integrated terminus. Honestly we run these almost never so I don't even remember. we always clear the Barracks and command posts first.

Yes Radar's and Mags are stupid long range. But F them anyhow.

The flip side is C4's are so much emptier that it is far easier to find farmable systems than C3's. So you waste far less time rolling the hole to find one.

Like I said, we have no issues. The ranges just seem strangely far way compared to C5s; we've never done escalations, but from what I understand from Jack's posts they're 40ish KM away on spawn. The furthest spawn I've seen in a C5 is 90km I believe, which is fine; they burn in fairly quickly. But 180km? Really?

It's just weird. It's a REALLY minor gripe, but it built into a forum post after I timered it and we spent 8 minutes out of our hour of farming waiting on rats to burn into range (we don't do Mags/Radars anymore because it's a longer wait).

I could just really go for the max spawn range to be 100km. It's not a big boost in ISK, it's nothing like that. It's just... for sanity's sake? Does that make sense? Maybe rats shouldn't be spawning at warp distances.

Svo.

Agreh Tensenn
Tensenn Industries
#8 - 2013-01-18 04:14:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Agreh Tensenn
If you warp in at 100km to the anomaly, chances are fairly good you will be at, or close to, warp distance to the structures. When there the distances are not AS extreme. Of course it somewhat limits what ships to bring to the site. A Nightmare with tachs for example can hit everything good out too 100km, and when changing to two tracking script TC it can even hit the 15km cruisers fairly well. Might not be the optimal ship to bring to another wh though, but anyway it doesn't really seem like you need any help to figure out what ship to bring :)

I think the small inconvenience of the long range is a pretty good balancing point at the moment. Said nightmare coupled with a basilisk nets me about 300m/hr as it is right now. If I could bring something with shorter range and therefore higher dps, that would be slightly over the top.
Dgram Loop
Dutch Squad
#9 - 2013-01-18 10:23:02 UTC
Derath Ellecon wrote:
Meh,

^^This

It was annoying at first but then I simply memorized the general area each wave would spawn (especially helpful on mag/radar) and had the fleet follow my ship so that we would always be 100k or closer to the new spawn when a trigger went down.

For tengu fleets AB helps alot now that range is slightly lower than before, especially with T2 furies which is what I use on sleeper battleships as often as possible.

It's a small price to pay for one of the better farming sites in eve for a small group IMO.

PS: The Strange Energy Readings C6 anomaly is like this aswell, making a warpin point closer to the structure works fine though.
Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2013-01-18 10:37:49 UTC
Sleeper sites are designed to be run in pvp ships not farming tengus. Range is not a problem when you use MWD fitted T3, plus, you can put up a good fight if you get jumped.
TomyLobo
U2EZ
#11 - 2013-01-18 11:19:42 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:
Sleeper sites are designed to be run in pvp ships not farming tengus. Range is not a problem when you use MWD fitted T3, plus, you can put up a good fight if you get jumped.

Bullshit.
TomyLobo
U2EZ
#12 - 2013-01-18 11:33:03 UTC
Winthorp wrote:
Why my tengu no work anymore.

One still had to move towards new spawns even before the HM nerf but it's now worse.
Nash MacAllister
Air
The Initiative.
#13 - 2013-01-18 13:00:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Nash MacAllister
Let's be clear, no C4 rats spawn 180km away. The furthest is ~130km.

EDIT: I am not trying to instigate, but once you start talking about 130km and not 180km, figuring out ship fits and fleet comp for efficiency becomes far easier.

Yes, if you have to ask yourself the question, just assume we are watching you...

Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2013-01-18 13:34:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Rek Seven
TomyLobo wrote:
Rek Seven wrote:

Bullshit.

Good point. Well made. Big smile
Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#15 - 2013-01-18 15:58:28 UTC
Nash MacAllister wrote:
Let's be clear, no C4 rats spawn 180km away. The furthest is ~130km.

EDIT: I am not trying to instigate, but once you start talking about 130km and not 180km, figuring out ship fits and fleet comp for efficiency becomes far easier.

Well, I would beg to differ a little. At least on the Radars and Mags. At least the Trinary hub and evacuation center, the spawns are > 150km from the warpin. I remember distinctly because you cannot click on them and hit approach because they are outside range.

I even had one instance where the last spawn actually spawned off grid. I thought the site was bugged and warped off. As I entered warp i saw the red crosses briefly. I ended up warping back and forth until i could get a bookmark on grid. It continued to be funny as the battleships orbited me they would disappear and reappear as they moved between the two grids.

That's when I decided to say F'k the radars and mags.
Nash MacAllister
Air
The Initiative.
#16 - 2013-01-18 18:33:50 UTC
Derath Ellecon wrote:

That's when I decided to say F'k the radars and mags.

Best C4 plex decision ever. Big smile

150km is still not an issue...

Yes, if you have to ask yourself the question, just assume we are watching you...

SojournerRover
Explorer Corps
#17 - 2013-01-18 19:23:37 UTC  |  Edited by: SojournerRover
They have a ship for that .
Set a BM then warp to it.

But really it is a C4, It's not very hard!

[b][u]ROVER[/u] (REDRUM)[/b]

Svodola Darkfury
Cloak and Daggers
The Initiative.
#18 - 2013-01-18 21:38:56 UTC
SojournerRover wrote:
They have a ship for that .
Set a BM then warp to it.

But really it is a C4, It's not very hard!

As usual missing the point.

It's not hard. It's easy. It's a minor nitpick that annoys me.

And to a post a couple above this: Trinary hub, 180km+. You have to warp to the center point structure, and even then they're 100km off.

IT'S NOT HARD PEOPLE. IT'S ANNOYING. We've been doing these sites for 8 months to great effect, it's just a little obnoxious to wait for them to burn in. It's totally a quality of life thing. We make great money, but it's just so much easier when we pop into C5s with a double squad and everything is 70km or under away.

Svo.

Paikis
Vapour Holdings
#19 - 2013-01-18 22:20:57 UTC
Svodola Darkfury wrote:
we pop into C5s

Problem solved!
Lin Gerie
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2013-01-19 01:09:40 UTC
Living in a C4 I agree. Furthermore I am a hybrid weapon and drone user but at these ranges I can pretty much only use BS rails. Unfortunately we dont have any logi pilots, only two carrier pilots (1 carrier though) which means I only get about 20-30km range before I'm in danger from lack of reps. Some sites are worse then others but honestly it feels unnecessary for them to spawn so far out in the first place.

The real issue is that they tend to stay at that range. Unlike the C1 where they spawn 70km out and come rushing towards you, these guys tend to hang out at 70-100kms for cruisers and BS and unless we warp the whole fleet out and back in (which with a carrier is a pain in the ass) we have to sit at long range.

Is it too hard? no, but it is irritating that when we moved from our C2 to our C4 i had to shelve my blasterboats, especially when I find that much more fun then sniping from 100km =/

It would be nice if they at least changed it up a bit. Give us an ambush site like in C1 WHs where they all spawn about 20km away and in relatively the same spot. Not necessarily for ease but for fun and to mix it up a bit.
12Next page