These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

MIcrobial Life Discovered In Meteorite.

Author
Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#1 - 2013-01-15 18:01:07 UTC
According to a recent paper in the Journal of Cosmology.

Interestingly, this ties into the red rain phenomenon people have been experiencing around the world, and may be the best evidence yet for Panspermia.

Quote:
At the time of entry into the Earth’s atmosphere on 29 December 2012, the parent body of the Polonnaruwa meteorite would have had most of its interior porous volume filled with water, volatile organics and possibly viable living cells. A remarkable coincidence that should be noted is that within several days of the meteorite fall, an extensive region around the site of the fall experienced an episode of red rain. The red rain analysed at the MRI in Colombo has been shown to contain red biological cells that show viability as well as motility. Preliminary studies from EDX analysis show that these cells are similar to the cells found in the red rain of Kerala that fell in 2001, cells that have not yet been identified with any known terrestrial organism

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

Rain6639
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2013-01-15 18:19:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6639
10µm? you don't say~Big smile similar in scale to prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells in earth's biosphere. love it
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#3 - 2013-01-15 18:21:03 UTC
The Andromeda Strain is here. Im heading to my zombie shelter now.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Rain6639
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#4 - 2013-01-15 18:47:11 UTC
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:

there's no way. we'd win.

the "donut shapes" are no cause for concern. the shape of a blood platelet's round-disc-with-pinched-center is a geometrically-efficient shape for rapid absorption and diffusion of molecules. so... as long as physics works the same where these "donut shapes" originated, it's just convergent development.

and yeah, the circles also similar in size to human platelets (2–3 µm), BUT the paper takes a stab at claiming the leech-looking things are biologically defined structures yet fails to address the circles -WHILE- making repeated mention of "red rain" ...leading the reader to associate fossilized circles with blood through suggestion of color (red) and liquid (rain).

I'm going to believe the paper is tabloid scientific journalism.

particularly this sentence: "Diatoms are unicellular phytoplankton characterised by elaborately sculptured frustules comprised of a hydrated silicon dioxide polymer."

why is "the journal of cosmology" including a definition of a diatom? who is their intended audience, exactly.

laypeople. who read the national enquirer.
Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#5 - 2013-01-15 18:51:12 UTC
red rain sounds awful.

to the car wash without delay!
Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#6 - 2013-01-15 19:04:00 UTC
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:

Any virus which can harm us has evolved alongside us for millenia to do just that, exploiting specific things. Unless humans are common throughout the universe, it's not really a concern. Bacteria could be, though.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

Rain6639
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#7 - 2013-01-15 19:06:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6639
unless i see the rock fall from the sky myself, I don't believe it. it's more likely the circles and "leech" fossils are forams and other diatom fossils that are from -earth-

here's an old image of coal under microscope: http://i.imgur.com/J64Pe.png

space coal? CCP gave that to 50,000 people late december. big deal. unless i can run my car with space coal, i'm not interested. unless enough of it falls that someone can sell it, no one else will care either

OP, you got trolled by buckingham university.
Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#8 - 2013-01-15 19:19:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Bane Necran
Rain6639 wrote:
OP, you got trolled by buckingham university.

Unless you're going to claim those images are not from a meteorite, and are hoaxed somehow, i'm not sure what your point is.

If you want to accuse a university of hoaxing, don't let me stop you. Head on over to their site and tell them how wrong they are. P

Be sure to post the reply here.

Rain6639
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#9 - 2013-01-15 19:22:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6639
my claim is, the paper is a joke

those were found on 29 December 2012, and the report is published 2 weeks later?

if these people value their credibility at all, they would spend weeks, even months refining their claims before publishing.

anyone familiar with scientific papers would recognize this, and have a good laugh.

heading of the paper: dated 10 january 2013

first sentence of the abstract: "We report the discovery for the first time of diatom frustules in a carbonaceous meteorite that fell in the North Central Province of Sri Lanka on 29 December 2012."

translation: 'hey, y'all, this is a joke. let's see what people say.'
Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#10 - 2013-01-15 19:25:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Bane Necran
Rain6639 wrote:
if these people value their credibility at all, they would spend weeks, even months refining their claims before publishing.

And how could they refine their claims further? It seems pretty simple. They found a meteorite, and when put under a microscope they found Diatoms. That's the main point here, and could easily be done within a week.

Some of their further speculation after that may be incorrect, but they aren't claiming any of that as fact.

Rain6639
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#11 - 2013-01-15 19:26:05 UTC
the paper is a gag for laughs.
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2013-01-15 20:07:50 UTC
Rain6639 wrote:

those were found on 29 December 2012, and the report is published 2 weeks later?

anyone familiar with scientific papers would recognize this, and have a good laugh.

first sentence of the abstract: "We report the discovery for the first time of diatom frustules in a carbonaceous meteorite that fell in the North Central Province of Sri Lanka on 29 December 2012."

They should've also looked for the mexican staring frog of southern sri lanka while they were there

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Rain6639
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#13 - 2013-01-15 20:27:29 UTC
sasquatch. lives in sri lanka with tupac
Eli Green
The Arrow Project
#14 - 2013-01-15 20:31:55 UTC
Rain6639 wrote:
sasquatch. lives in sri lanka with tupac

Pics or it didn't happen

wumbo

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2013-01-15 20:44:24 UTC
Rain6639 wrote:

until proof of contrary or otherwise, I shall treat that paper as neither a hoax or fact.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Rain6639
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#16 - 2013-01-15 20:51:19 UTC
don't just sit there, pick up the phone and call buckingham university like the author intended

c'mon it's a prank
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2013-01-15 21:22:06 UTC
Rain6639 wrote:
don't just sit there, pick up the phone and call buckingham university like the author intended

c'mon it's a prank

I tried, but I just got this automated message

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Rain6639
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#18 - 2013-01-15 23:53:26 UTC
I clicked that link and i was all liek Alt+W nope nope nope nope not gonna get me!
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2013-01-15 23:55:37 UTC
Rain6639 wrote:

c'mon it's a prank

ok, can you pay up the international call fees?

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Synthetic Cultist
Church of The Crimson Saviour
#20 - 2013-01-15 23:57:59 UTC
The journal of cosmology's executive editor appears to be one of that paper's writers. That's why it's been published so quickly.

The paper says that the theories of said writer, have been vindicated.

It's not exactly unbiased.

Synthia 1, Empress of Kaztropol.

It is Written.

12Next page