These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Rebalance the tormentor, again.

Author
Commander Ted
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#21 - 2013-01-15 00:34:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Commander Ted
Kahega Amielden wrote:

Atron/executioner are made of paper. Other brawling frigates may be able to close due to the Tormentor's low speed, eventually..but the Tormentor is still tanky and still capable of fighting up close. By the time most other brawling frigates get point blank, they will be half dead.

Tristan damage is pitiful without drones. It has two unbonused turret hardpoints, which can either be rails (laughable DPS) or blasters (slightly less laughable and requires you get point blank). Given that even bonused drones are exceedingly squishy, this does count as a notable weakness.

Atron/executioner can use this cool strategy called KITING. Their tank doesn't matter because you will never hit them. Even if im dumb enough to warp into a plex your in I still have a chance to coast out of scram range.

The tormentor also isn't that tanky and my incursus can go faster while perma tanking the thing. Every damn brawler can. My merlin/incursus can tank you while hitting you with null. My kestrel will rain full dps on you while having a bigger buffer than you, my slasher will run laps around you while ASB tanking and getting you with a tracking disruptor, the breacher will shake off your damage and apply full dps hitting your resist hole, the punisher has the exact same damage projection and out tanks you massively forcing you to retreat at the least. the condor will kite the **** out of you, the incursus can perma tank you or fit for kiting. Also did you forget that I can fit AUTOCANNONS on my trist or dual neuts and shut off your tormentor completely. The Tristan has multiple sets of drones and will close range while your trying to kill them. Frigate fights have extremely short durations and wasting time trying to kill my drones is a really unwise decision in most cases.

Your sounding like you hardly even do frigate 1v1's man.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=174097 Separate all 4 empires in eve with lowsec.

John Nucleus
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#22 - 2013-01-15 01:01:08 UTC
I find using a neutralizer adds a little extra kick to it. It takes longer to kill something but it makes brawlers like the incursus easier to deal with.
Zarnak Wulf
Task Force 641
Empyrean Edict
#23 - 2013-01-15 01:10:43 UTC
The Tormentor is probably my favorite frigate after the Tristan. (Which is hilariously OP btw).

High:
Focused Pulse II x 3
Mid:
AB II
Web II
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler
Low:
DC II
200mm rolled tungsten
Adaptive Nano Plate II
SAR II
Rigs:
Small Energy Burst
Small Armor Nano Pump x 2

Hobs II x 2

Overheat your mids and approach to get the initial tackle. Move to 8km and kite after that. Anything MWD fit should die in a fire. This ship is infinitely better then the Punisher.
Commander Ted
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#24 - 2013-01-15 01:29:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Commander Ted
Zarnak Wulf wrote:
The Tormentor is probably my favorite frigate after the Tristan. (Which is hilariously OP btw).

High:
Focused Pulse II x 3
Mid:
AB II
Web II
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler
Low:
DC II
200mm rolled tungsten
Adaptive Nano Plate II
SAR II
Rigs:
Small Energy Burst
Small Armor Nano Pump x 2

Hobs II x 2

Overheat your mids and approach to get the initial tackle. Move to 8km and kite after that. Anything MWD fit should die in a fire. This ship is infinitely better then the Punisher.

Anything MWD fit you catch is flown by an idiot. Also exactly what advantage does this ship have over any other ship that fits a scram web and afterburner?

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=174097 Separate all 4 empires in eve with lowsec.

Zarnak Wulf
Task Force 641
Empyrean Edict
#25 - 2013-01-15 01:51:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Zarnak Wulf
Dead Kiter

I have seen a few slip past. Their DPS is so horrible though that you can usually call for and get help before they kill you. And if you have Loki boosts? (Above example did not) -18km web and 16 km scram. Fly no tank kiters at your own risk.

Edit: with a web and an AB a target will have a hard time getting under your guns which is the real weakness of the Punisher. Instant ammo swap lets you push 180 DPS or so. (I don't have Pyfa at work for exact numbers). The ship hurts, has about 5.5k EHP, and can get a few cycles of it's SAR to add to that.
Commander Ted
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#26 - 2013-01-15 02:32:04 UTC
Zarnak Wulf wrote:
Dead Kiter

I have seen a few slip past. Their DPS is so horrible though that you can usually call for and get help before they kill you. And if you have Loki boosts? (Above example did not) -18km web and 16 km scram. Fly no tank kiters at your own risk.

Edit: with a web and an AB a target will have a hard time getting under your guns which is the real weakness of the Punisher. Instant ammo swap lets you push 180 DPS or so. (I don't have Pyfa at work for exact numbers). The ship hurts, has about 5.5k EHP, and can get a few cycles of it's SAR to add to that.

ewww links...

Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#27 - 2013-01-15 17:08:54 UTC
Quote:
Atron/executioner can use this cool strategy called KITING. Their tank doesn't matter because you will never hit them. Even if im dumb enough to warp into a plex your in I still have a chance to coast out of scram range.

Atron is **** at kiting compared to the executioner or condor, hence why I thought you were referring to a brawl fit. Regardless, the Tormentor is no more vulnerable to kiting than any other scram range frigate.

Quote:
The tormentor also isn't that tanky and my incursus can go faster while perma tanking the thing. Every damn brawler can. My merlin/incursus can tank you while hitting you with null. My kestrel will rain full dps on you while having a bigger buffer than you, my slasher will run laps around you while ASB tanking and getting you with a tracking disruptor, the breacher will shake off your damage and apply full dps hitting your resist hole, the punisher has the exact same damage projection and out tanks you massively forcing you to retreat at the least. the condor will kite the **** out of you, the incursus can perma tank you or fit for kiting. Also did you forget that I can fit AUTOCANNONS on my trist or dual neuts and shut off your tormentor completely. The Tristan has multiple sets of drones and will close range while your trying to kill them. Frigate fights have extremely short durations and wasting time trying to kill my drones is a really unwise decision in most cases.

The Incursus can only permatank the thing (and most other t1 frigates) with a gimmicky dual rep fit...A dual rep fit that will not have a web and thus will never get into range. It would be a stalemate until the Incursus ran out of boosters at which point it would die.

Blasterboats with null (and no real range bonus) cannot effectively fight at ~8km. The only thing a Merlin/Incursus can kill at that range is something that also cannot project damage for ****.

TD/ASB slasher could probably win. Breacher/Punisher explicitly counter the tormentor on the basis of range projection, this is nothing new (though the tormentor isn't that much less tanky).

Unbonused autocannons are going to function like blasters except with **** damage. Dual neut could be interesting against a laserboat like the Tristan but you may or may not consistently be in neut range.

the Tristan does not have a full extra flight of drones. It has 3 extra.

Commander Ted
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#28 - 2013-01-15 17:18:21 UTC
Kahega Amielden wrote:

The Incursus can only permatank the thing (and most other t1 frigates) with a gimmicky dual rep fit...A dual rep fit that will not have a web and thus will never get into range. It would be a stalemate until the Incursus ran out of boosters at which point it would die.

Blasterboats with null (and no real range bonus) cannot effectively fight at ~8km. The only thing a Merlin/Incursus can kill at that range is something that also cannot project damage for ****.

TD/ASB slasher could probably win. Breacher/Punisher explicitly counter the tormentor on the basis of range projection, this is nothing new (though the tormentor isn't that much less tanky).

Unbonused autocannons are going to function like blasters except with **** damage. Dual neut could be interesting against a laserboat like the Tristan but you may or may not consistently be in neut range.

the Tristan does not have a full extra flight of drones. It has 3 extra.

First off the atron is nearly identical to the executioner and an excellent kiting ship. Also you said your tormentor would beat anything, so I said anything.

Blasterboats will null can still hit you while closing distance on you, also the merlins buffer is massive it will catch you. Once I close range I can go antimatter and **** ye, then what happens if the fight starts and your not more than 7km away? Also that gimmicky ship will either tank your ships dps for a really really long time. Then if I fit a buffer incursus, not only can I catch you because im faster but I will do more dps when I do close range.

Unbonused autocannons can project range and hit your for any damage type, and I will be consistently in neut range because IM FASTER THAN YOU.

Also while your still shooting my drones I am closing range quickly.

Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#29 - 2013-01-15 20:14:26 UTC
Quote:
First off the atron is nearly identical to the executioner and an excellent kiting ship. Also you said your tormentor would beat anything, so I said anything.

Both beam lasers and pulse lasers work for a kiting executioner, and both are far and away better weapon systems for the purpose than railguns.

Quote:
Blasterboats will null can still hit you while closing distance on you, also the merlins buffer is massive it will catch you. Once I close range I can go antimatter and **** ye, then what happens if the fight starts and your not more than 7km away? Also that gimmicky ship will either tank your ships dps for a really really long time. Then if I fit a buffer incursus, not only can I catch you because im faster but I will do more dps when I do close range.

A dual-rep incursus will not close range because it will lack a web. The Merlin is a bit tankier but will take significantly more damage on approach than it will dish out. As you said, frigate fights don't take a long time; slowboating into range will make you eat a lot of damage before you start seriously dishing out damage.

Quote:
Then if I fit a buffer incursus, not only can I catch you because im faster but I will do more dps when I do close range.

And eat a ton of damage on approach.

Quote:
Unbonused autocannons can project range and hit your for any damage type, and I will be consistently in neut range because IM FASTER THAN YOU.

Unbonused autos have about 6km falloff and negligable optimal. With barrage, that's 9km falloff. While closing range you'll be starting off at ~50% of unbonused autocannons' already low damage. You'd be far better off with just double neuts.

Regardless, this is silly. I am not saying there are not circumstances that other frigates would beat the tormentor, as there are. However, the tormentor is perfectly capable of competing with plenty of other frigates. It doesn't have to win every matchup, just enough of them.
Rynnik
Evasion Gaming
The Ancients.
#30 - 2013-01-15 21:39:28 UTC
The current tormentor is my favourite Amarr frig in the re-balanced frig lineup and I fly it more than any of the other T1 frigs right now. It is a great little 1v1 frig and quite versatile which is something most Amarr frigs are not. I don't think there are any problems with how it stands right now.
Previous page12