These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

How do you catch the kitey frigs on warp in?

Author
Taoist Dragon
The Flying Dead.
#1 - 2013-01-15 05:11:50 UTC
Hi all you low sec dwellers!

When you are running a plex (FW or exploration) and a kitey frig appears on short scan how do you setup to catch the blighter if you are in a brawling frig?

I'm asking as I am flying more kitey stuff nowadays and have only been caught by brawlers if my miskey or lag when i land in a plex and it seems that most of the low sec dwellers don't seem to know how to catch them.

So post up some general tactics to follow and maybe we can give the brawlers a fighting chance. Twisted

That is the Way, the Tao.

Balance is everything.

Zarnak Wulf
Amarrian Vengeance
Team Amarrica
#2 - 2013-01-15 05:26:56 UTC
Loki booster. 18km web and 16km scram says no kiting for you.
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#3 - 2013-01-15 05:33:17 UTC
good question. All i can say is that when flying a slicer i usually manage to get out of the scram/web range using my momentum under optimal conditions (no OGB, non lag).

at warpin i simply burn away from the WT with overheated MWD. In almost every case the camper catches me by turning off my mwd but the momentum is usually sufficient to get out of scram range.

double webs would probably catch me without problems.

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Taoist Dragon
The Flying Dead.
#4 - 2013-01-15 05:41:26 UTC
Zarnak Wulf wrote:
Loki booster. 18km web and 16km scram says no kiting for you.

LOL I was rather thinking something a new player could do to catch them. As evena 2 day old player in a brawling frig will pretty much chomp a kiter if he can catch them Twisted

But yes this pretty much will catch kitey frigs easily

Balance is everything.

Zarnak Wulf
Amarrian Vengeance
Team Amarrica
#5 - 2013-01-15 05:48:34 UTC
It's fit and counter fit. If kitey fits are really an issue for your brawler then downgrade your guns and go back to a MWD rather then an AB fit. I typically will overheat my mids with them being off. I'll hit the AB button and launch drones as I see the orange star appear. I'll hit approach and start spamming lock as he lands. I will always land a point and web. It's just a case of whether he can coast out or not.

I imagine if I had a MWD fitted though a web and scram would be just about lethal. Of course then you lose the advantage o range control to other brawlers. Fit and counter fit.
Taoist Dragon
The Flying Dead.
#6 - 2013-01-15 05:51:32 UTC
Zarnak Wulf wrote:
It's fit and counter fit. If kitey fits are really an issue for your brawler then downgrade your guns and go back to a MWD rather then an AB fit. I typically will overheat my mids with them being off. I'll hit the AB button and launch drones as I see the orange star appear. I'll hit approach and start spamming lock as he lands. I will always land a point and web. It's just a case of whether he can coast out or not.

I imagine if I had a MWD fitted though a web and scram would be just about lethal. Of course then you lose the advantage o range control to other brawlers. Fit and counter fit.

This exactly.

I wasn't asking for myself.. I love smashing kiters around in a brawler. I was just asking for general advice for the newer players that may be having difficulty catching the blighters :)

Balance is everything.

Shaalira D'arc
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2013-01-15 05:54:57 UTC
1) Sit still on the beacon. If you orbit, you'll be much more likely to be in motion away from the kitey than in motion towards it when it lands.
2) Start cycling your prop mod.
3) Overheat scram and web. Do whatever else you feel like doing beforehand, like launching drones, etc.
4) When it hits your overview, select it and start approaching it even before it's target-able. Use a hotkey for approach if it makes it faster.
5) Spam the lock button until you start locking. When you do, start cycling scram/web.

Hope that helps.
IbanezLaney
The Church of Awesome
#8 - 2013-01-15 07:06:56 UTC
Taoist Dragon wrote:
Hi all you low sec dwellers!

When you are running a plex (FW or exploration) and a kitey frig appears on short scan how do you setup to catch the blighter if you are in a brawling frig?

I'm asking as I am flying more kitey stuff nowadays and have only been caught by brawlers if my miskey or lag when i land in a plex and it seems that most of the low sec dwellers don't seem to know how to catch them.

So post up some general tactics to follow and maybe we can give the brawlers a fighting chance. Twisted

Screw brawling - I just try to have a faster kite than the other guy.

Since I have been in Amarr/MinnieMouse space - all I ever see is:
Your Warrior II missed IbanezLaney cause he is Awesome
Your Warrior II has hit IbanezLaney for 2 damage cause he decided he better move in and get point.

True story.
Zarnak Wulf
Amarrian Vengeance
Team Amarrica
#9 - 2013-01-15 07:20:14 UTC
It's all fun and games until the beam Coercer vaporizes you in three salvoes/ four seconds.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#10 - 2013-01-15 08:47:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Garviel Tarrant
Stay at warpins.

I would suggest you come play with BYDI in heyd if dislike winning your fights in plexes.

Also you have like 3 solo kills this entire month? 2 of them being ganks..

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Meditril
Forced Content
#11 - 2013-01-15 09:53:21 UTC
Interceptors work nicely here. Get one of those with bonus on scram range. Together with their speed and their fast locking time you have very good chances to catch those kitey stuff.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#12 - 2013-01-15 10:20:09 UTC
Meditril wrote:
Interceptors work nicely here. Get one of those with bonus on scram range. Together with their speed and their fast locking time you have very good chances to catch those kitey stuff.

You shouldn't need that, if you're on the warp in you should lock them almost instantly because of the mwd bloom..

Veshta Yoshida
PIE Inc.
Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris
#13 - 2013-01-15 11:17:30 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
Meditril wrote:

You shouldn't need that, if you're on the warp in you should lock them almost instantly because of the mwd bloom..

Lock is almost instant but by the time a scram can be applied they are 5-6km away letting them coast out where they can floor it again.

The only two option one has against the foul unimaginative kiters is to have same or more range and/or speed than them. That is unless one employs boosters, buddies or other manner of trickiness.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#14 - 2013-01-15 11:20:14 UTC
Veshta Yoshida wrote:
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
Meditril wrote:

Lock is almost instant but by the time a scram can be applied they are 5-6km away letting them coast out where they can floor it again.

The only two option one has against the foul unimaginative kiters is to have same or more range and/or speed than them. That is unless one employs boosters, buddies or other manner of trickiness.

Assuming you aren't webbing them and moving yourself?

Seriously if a kiter lands within 6km from you and you let him get away you are inept

Meditril
Forced Content
#15 - 2013-01-15 14:03:58 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:

Seriously if a kiter lands within 6km from you and you let him get away you are inept

In theory yes, in practice you should not forget the lag.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#16 - 2013-01-15 14:32:50 UTC
Meditril wrote:
Garviel Tarrant wrote:

In theory yes, in practice you should not forget the lag.

Has quite literally never happened to me or anyone i fly with..

Anyhow if the kiter not landing on you is not an option pretty much the only things you can do is having some long range option (Guardian tungsten in a rail incursus for example) or trying to slingshot for ten minutes while he whittles down your tank.

Then you get really mad when he just moves to 30km since he has links and you're ******.

Gah'Matar
Dirt 'n' Glitter
Local Is Primary
#17 - 2013-01-15 18:08:28 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
Has quite literally never happened to me or anyone i fly with..

Anyhow if the kiter not landing on you is not an option pretty much the only things you can do is having some long range option (Guardian tungsten in a rail incursus for example) or trying to slingshot for ten minutes while he whittles down your tank.

Then you get really mad when he just moves to 30km since he has links and you're ******.

I've had this happen to me (and I've done it), usually momentum carries them out of scram / web range if they spawned more then 3-4km away from me. You need a 6-7km/s fit or faster. If they wait to keep me at range, it doesn't usually work, if they hit max speed and overheated mwd first (I have mouse macro for this), it can work.

Most "normal" kiters get the lock, scram, web and 7 overheated neutron blasters to the face.

If you orbit the beacon at 8km, you're dumb. You're either a 0 or already at optimal. both cases stationary.
ground ctrl
Goose Swarm Coalition
#18 - 2013-01-15 19:43:37 UTC
This is what I do:

sit at warpin.

ship at 0 ms with ab on.

When you first see the ship on the overview you will not be able to lock it but you will be able to approach it. (At least that seems to be the case) So as soon as I see it on overview I spam approach button. This way I know I am moving toward him.

Then and only then do I try to lock it as soon as it lands and apply the scram and web. I try to lock it by left clicking on the overview with ctrl held down. As soon as I see it is locking I click on the web and scram mods.

Usually I can catch them but sometimes the clicks don't register and he gets out of range.

Like the op I would be interested in other people giving their exact procedure to see if I am missing something.

Just in case I ever play this stoopid stoopid game again.
Generals4
#19 - 2013-01-15 20:37:09 UTC
Quite simple: ensure you decide the playing field. If i'm in a brawler i'm gonna wait at the spot the guy lands on. Usually he won't be able to get away far enought before i got him scrammed/webbed. Worst thing to do as a brawler is follow a kiter.

_-Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily. _

Taoist Dragon
The Flying Dead.
#20 - 2013-01-15 20:54:48 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
Stay at warpins.

I would suggest you come play with BYDI in heyd if dislike winning your fights in plexes.

Also you have like 3 solo kills this entire month? 2 of them being ganks..

What has my KB got to do with the OP? I have been asked a couple of time about being able to escape brawlers on the warp in while flying kitey ships. Seeing as I've only really started flying kitey since joining FW I thought the good people who may know more about it than I do could post up some advice.

If you want to be an ingrate and turn this into an attack on my ability to solo or whatever I respectfully ask you to bugger of and go fornicate somewhere else.

MY kb has always been bad and I make now claims otherwise. Anyone who uses KB's as there measure of success IMO is taking it way too seriously and need to get a life!

If you have something constructive to add then feel free.

Balance is everything.

12Next page