These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why people are lazy creating their avatars...

Author
Growing Old Disgracefully
#81 - 2013-01-13 03:27:57 UTC
What are all these clones doing above me?

Ahaha new page fail.

Luc Chastot
#82 - 2013-01-13 03:46:44 UTC
Yeah, everybody has two eyes, two ears, one nose etc.

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Quintos Gaius Kaltos
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#83 - 2013-01-13 04:54:16 UTC
I blame genetics. Couldn't have been too many people came through the original wormhole.
We're all one big inter-bred family.
Celeste Taylor
Ruby Dynasty
#84 - 2013-01-13 05:18:15 UTC
I find the hairstyles a bit disappointing compared to most of the other options. I wish that hair length would work on a slider much like most of the other values. Despite the options presented people tend to gravitate towards a few styles with some almost never chosen. The other disappointment is in the earring department which has so many options that are almost identical. I however think that the "sculpting" engine is fantastic.

As for facial designs, my characters from different bloodlines do tend to look like each other more so than others of the same race. Eye placement, nose width and length, cheek fullness, mouth size, ear size, brow prominence, jawline prominence, are factors in the players control. I have a few of these traits tweaked to one extreme (like super deep set eyes, or max nose length and overall delicate bone structure) across my characters. This is even before makeup, tattoos and scars are applied. This results in an image that is super customized to my slightly odd aesthetics which do stray from the "model norm."
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#85 - 2013-01-13 05:35:40 UTC
People have tried to look like me, but they can never be me. Their loss.

Mr Epeen Cool
Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#86 - 2013-01-13 06:01:31 UTC
Pitrolo Orti wrote:
Seems everyone has the same avatar...why people have the same one and they don't spend time creating their own....

Because they lack any sense of individuality. It's all part of the garden variety "power gamer" psych profile. Helpless & weak in real life = obsessed with power & e-peen waving online. So naturally they all go for the maximum tough-guy image, get themselves a mohawk, slap on some cop shades, and the drown themselves in their own virtual machismo.

The hilarity is half the reason I play MMOs. The other half is, of course, boredom.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Vortexo VonBrenner
Doomheim
#87 - 2013-01-13 07:03:59 UTC
Who needs to put effort into an avatar when CCP gives ya free goggles that make any avatar look...well...awesome?
Hendrik Tiberius
Red Phoenix Rising
#88 - 2013-01-13 09:09:59 UTC
Why you don't put your question in the form of a question...
Pitrolo Orti
Doomheim
#89 - 2013-01-13 11:29:17 UTC
Katran Luftschreck wrote:
Pitrolo Orti wrote:
Seems everyone has the same avatar...why people have the same one and they don't spend time creating their own....

Because they lack any sense of individuality. It's all part of the garden variety "power gamer" psych profile. Helpless & weak in real life = obsessed with power & e-peen waving online. So naturally they all go for the maximum tough-guy image, get themselves a mohawk, slap on some cop shades, and the drown themselves in their own virtual machismo.

The hilarity is half the reason I play MMOs. The other half is, of course, boredom.

I see what you did there Hahaha

Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.

Juno Valerii
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#90 - 2013-01-13 13:41:40 UTC
My toon is a nearly exact replica of my STO toon that I had since launch. As I will almost certainly not be playing that anymore, I decided to bring her over here. TBH, I should have moved a LONG time ago. Big smile
Yeovilty
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#91 - 2013-01-13 15:03:19 UTC
From this thread alone, I see not a single face that is the same as another... Just saying D:
Ginger Barbarella
#92 - 2013-01-13 15:26:53 UTC
When you reach perfection, why try again? Cool

"Blow it all on Quafe and strippers." --- Sorlac

Stitcher
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#93 - 2013-01-13 15:53:37 UTC
I'm amazed by the variety, tbh.

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

Felicity Love
Doomheim
#94 - 2013-01-13 16:21:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Felicity Love
I was and am naturally gorgeous... no editing needed.

P

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Aemynn
#95 - 2013-01-13 16:21:48 UTC
Is a "PLEX for Pitrolo Orti to Get Corrective Lenses" campaign in order?
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#96 - 2013-01-13 17:23:08 UTC
I think I managed to be unique.
Yuwee Vesa
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#97 - 2013-01-13 17:40:47 UTC
^ Agreed.
Arec Bardwin
#98 - 2013-01-13 17:41:56 UTC
I spent 5 minutes and never touched the char creator again. I guess some people just don't care about dressing up dollies.
Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#99 - 2013-01-13 19:21:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Barrogh Habalu
Yeovilty wrote:
From this thread alone, I see not a single face that is the same as another... Just saying D:

Because it mostly attracts people who spent some time on their avatar and are here to disagree.
Well, just like with most threads in GD tbh Big smile

TBH I had this question bugging me.

Imagine a newb who creates their first toon. What does he have?
A lot of scars, markings, some hairstyles, a bit of clothes and ability to sculpt facial traits (and well, body). Most of this stuff doesn't offer much possible combination, given that some features are quite unpopular.

What should make character different is facial traits, but it takes time and dedication to sculpt a face. So why bother when CCP made quite a good premades? After all, there's a huge unexplored New Eden awaiting you...
Well, actually the way you "shoot" your avatar afterwards also helps with making your toon distinguishable, but you can do so much with that (not to say that instrument is bad, it's just limited by design).

I can't say that I don't care about avatars, but I pretty much felt into this trap. Oh well, screw that, I like mine.

Though some people really put an effort into their avatars. I must confess that I have a small collection of the most memorable ones I've seen on these boards. Keep up great job! Blink

P.S. EVE Avatar is awesome, haters gonna hate.
Kytayn
Kronos TEchnologies
#100 - 2013-01-13 19:32:14 UTC
Stealth show-me-your-avatar thread. Well done OP.

Be careful in Pulsar systems, you might get Pod Flu.

(Bio for YouTube reading)