These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

So i wanna buy a smartphone with which i can use eve aply's

Author
CaptainTr1cky
Dividing by Z3r0
#1 - 2013-01-11 03:26:05 UTC

I come to you , my fellow capsuleers ... please enlighten me on what smartphone should i buy that is a) good price b) android c) not horrible to look at ... and d) can use eve aplications

Also if u can link me or tell me some of the eve aplications that exist out there i'd rly apreciate it !! cheers
Thomas Gore
Blackfyre Enterprise
#2 - 2013-01-11 12:39:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Thomas Gore
All the three major mobile platforms (iOS, Android and Windows Phone) have pretty good EVE applications to choose from.

I'm an Android user myself (Samsung Galaxy S3) and use Aura, but the iOS app (Neocom) is pretty good too (I use it on my iPad).

EDIT: I just noticed you want an Android device. I'd recommend Samsung Galaxy series, but I guess everyone has their own favourites.
Rana Ash
Gradient
Electus Matari
#3 - 2013-01-11 13:01:28 UTC
HTC all the way :)
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#4 - 2013-01-11 13:31:20 UTC
Don't get sucked into the swamp called smartphone! You'll miss everything going on around you...

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

CaptainTr1cky
Dividing by Z3r0
#5 - 2013-01-11 14:32:44 UTC
i was aiming for an android because i saw on one of the forum threads can't remember which .. that someone said windows has limited aplications that u can use and that android would be the best .. but i'm open to all suggestions

and tx for the reply's so far
Calico-Jack Daniels
#6 - 2013-01-11 15:02:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Calico-Jack Daniels
I'm going take a different approach here... security. Note: I'm an android user myself.

Android: I've been happy, incredibly reliable. Here's a Pros and Cons list.

Pros: Reliable (have only had the Android OS crash a couple of times in the nearly 2 years I've owned my phone. Antivirus apps available (Yes phones can be infected by malware). Can be rooted. Easy platform to develop on. Google Play store is good imho. Tons of Apps. A lot of IT based Apps too, which I really like. Plus, there's a Backtrack 5 image that can be run from the phone, so, if I needed to, I could use my phone for penetration testing, though the small screen and keyboard would drive me a bit nuts. Linux based OS.

Cons: Near Field Communication (NFC) (think phone touching feature to transfer data/stuff) is incredibly vulnerable to attack and comes enabled by default. APPS in Google Play store don't go through the same sanitizing process as the Apple App Store and therefore, there is an increased risk for using malicious apps. Rooting potentially makes the phone more vulnerable to attack if not handled correctly. Autocorrect.

iPhone: My lovely bride has one and likes it. From a security perspective, the most recent iPhone has improved their sandboxed OS environment tremendously making it more difficult to compromise/hack an iPhone. However, with that said, there's already a jailbreak method for the new iPhone. The app store does a great job sanitizing apps before allowing them in the app store. Most of the time it "just works".

Cons: Difficult development platform for making apps (Objective-C) (compared to Java for Android). Part of the Apple line of products (more in the line of the vendor controlling too much and not letting the end user have more control over products). Autocorrect (some may consider it a pro Cool)

Never used a windows phone, and probably never will.

So, besides the EVE apps for interfacing with your Characters' API, what else do you want to do with your phone? It appears most EVE apps work well so maybe figure out what else you want to do with your phone and let that guide your decision.

I go well with Quafe...

Mark Munoz
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2013-01-11 20:48:21 UTC
I love Neocom on iOS that product is awesome! I find I use it more now than EVEMon.
Cynthia Gallente
GERAS INDUSTRIES
#8 - 2013-01-11 22:19:34 UTC
What carrier do you wanna use?
How modern do you want your device to be?

The SGS2 Skyrocket is an awesome device, not the newest, but not a piece of crap.

I am partial to the Note though, it's my device!

Post with your lick™

CaptainTr1cky
Dividing by Z3r0
#9 - 2013-01-12 00:57:09 UTC
i was thinking more of ( and please corect me if i'm wrong ) a phone that can have ( if there exists ofc ! ) an eve aply where u can recieve eve in-game mails and be able to write back ... or more or less be able to enter the forum and that .

I'm in a 12h shfit job with a day shift week and a night shift week so i wanna be able to stay in contact with my fellow corp members ( yes call me a geek !! )

can i haz that ?
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2013-01-12 00:58:02 UTC
Chribba wrote:
Don't get sucked into the swamp called smartphone! You'll miss everything going on around you...

But in 1 case I read of teh car didn't miss the smartphone user P

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Pitrolo Orti
Doomheim
#11 - 2013-01-12 02:48:16 UTC
If you are of the rare breed that has not smartphone don't buy one...they will eat your soul and make you a bot...

Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.

Cynthia Gallente
GERAS INDUSTRIES
#12 - 2013-01-12 20:49:36 UTC
you can go to the forums and get your evemails that way....
i htink the Aura app for android can do evemails, but it's kinda not working for me at the moment cuz of some screwing around with it i did ...

Post with your lick™

iSupremacy
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2013-01-13 17:08:43 UTC
Using Neocom app on iOS.. not sure if thats available on android.. but the app is great :) skills, evemail, Skill planner, Assets, wallet, Kill reports, Fitting tool etc.
Astenion
Purple Void Corporation
#14 - 2013-01-15 15:33:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Astenion
Get a Chinese Android for 200 bucks and call it a day. It's made in the same factory that the iPhones and other Androids are made in, only it's faster and 400 bucks cheaper and does THE EXACT SAME THING.

Just got it in the mail the other day and it runs circles around the other Galaxies and iPhones, and for less than half the price. Same processor, RAM, software, everything...just cheaper. You'd be an idiot to pay 500 bucks for a Samsung or iPhone when you can get something even better, made in the same factory, for much less money.
Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#15 - 2013-01-15 17:11:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Jhagiti Tyran
Astenion wrote:
Get a Chinese Android for 200 bucks and call it a day. It's made in the same factory that the iPhones and other Androids are made in, only it's faster and 400 bucks cheaper and does THE EXACT SAME THING.

Just got it in the mail the other day and it runs circles around the other Galaxies and iPhones, and for less than half the price. Same processor, RAM, software, everything...just cheaper. You'd be an idiot to pay 500 bucks for a Samsung or iPhone when you can get something even better, made in the same factory, for much less money.

Thats an option if you want a PAYG, but why on earth have a Smartphone on PAYG? Without high or unlimited data whats the point, and you pay far more for mobile data on PAYG in the UK at least. The sim only deals are not all that great either, not compared to getting the phone directly.

So you end up with a cheap phone that is not as good as the high end phones and a **** call and data package.

Edit

I should qualify the not as good comment, sure some of the raw specs might seem as good but you do no get the same service quality or warranties. Neither do the specs match either most of the "best" (lol) do not come near, the screens are poor too so while the resolution may be claimed to be the same they have half the pixel density.

There is nothing really wrong with them, anyone who gets something like a Samsung Galaxy Ace or Y needs to get their heads examined but they don't match the top of the range phones.