These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Now that the jukebox is gone...

First post First post
Author
Veng3ance
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#101 - 2012-12-08 20:07:28 UTC
CCP RealX wrote:
Julia Reave wrote:
I just thought it might uselessly continue playing in the background, when I just turn the volume down.

That's why I was looking for the "stop" button :)

I'm looking into either to add a checkbox to make the music stop or when the slider goes to 0.0 that the the music system will also stop.

Btw, really backwards idea. This "checkbox" already existed. It's called the stop button the jukebox. Roll
Cheekything
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#102 - 2012-12-08 20:58:37 UTC
I love eve music but with the need for communication it's hard to have music running at the same time :(.

I used to listen it when I was a noob but since then it's a bit redundant.

Also still wanting server side preference storage
ColdCutz
Frigonometry
#103 - 2012-12-08 21:57:11 UTC
Bring the Jukebox back with an 'Adaptive' button next to the 'Repeat' and 'Shuffle' buttons.
Velarra
#104 - 2012-12-08 23:06:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Velarra
I'm reminded of that time someone thought it'd be a great idea to remove the ship Hanger and ship spinning. That you know, it'd be an awesome idea to force CQ on everyone or simply the door.
Futchmacht
TERRA CORE INDUSTRIES
#105 - 2012-12-09 11:27:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Futchmacht
CCP RealX wrote:
Kha'Vorn wrote:
Julia Reave wrote:
...is there a way to actually stop the music or prevent it from playing other than turning its volume slider down in the options menu?

Doubt it.

Turn the slider for music down down down. I did that on my 2nd day in eve. Never slid to the right again..

Sad

CCP RealX ... Dont take it to heart.. im sure most people like myself like your in game music when they are in the mood for it.

Some times ill listen to it for hours and some times i feel like listening to my own music. Having the option to use your own playlists in game and be able to change them on the fly, or even switch back to eve music was a GREAT idea... taking it out of the game was a REALLY BAD idea...

What i think is the best way to bring back the Jukebox with 3 options.

#1. Checkbox option to play the eve music the way you designed it to work in this last patch and the ability to turn it off when wanted.

#2. An Automatic playlist that has all of the eve music in it so you can change songs when you want. So that people who want to skip songs can. Or if there is a song you like to hear you can pick it yourself.

#3. Our own playlists back like before so when we dont want to hear eve music we can play our own mp3's or what ever.

Thay way you have the best of all worlds you have the new eve music system and all the old systems in place.
Jade Cargo
Jade Company
#106 - 2012-12-09 15:00:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Jade Cargo
No wonder I couldn't find the damn jukebox. Thought I'd thown away the icon somewhere.

Anyway, another couple of slight fails is that I like to hear the login music because it kind of defines each release of EVE for me, but I then don't want any music in game. The old jukebox system allowed that. One could leave the music slider up, but then the jukebox wouldn't play once it had been stopped once.

Also, multiboxing could work under the old system just by leaving one jukebox playing, the other stopped. Now it's just a blaring cacophony (big words of the post) of sound with both clients playing music. Yes, I know - one could turn the slider down on one client, but then it has to be turned back up prior to exiting for me to hear the login music :)

So......not sure why the downgrade.
Sannye
Perkone
Caldari State
#107 - 2012-12-09 22:50:22 UTC
I've been searching for hours for the jukebox.

My music is off, and i cant start it by turning up the volume for the music, it's just gone.

I have no clue why a simple player has gone, now i have to have other applications run the same music in the background . It's one of those things that actually matter more for the "eve-experince" than having a place in a station you can walk around in. For me, that music is part of EVE, and i'd rather have a button i can turn on/off inside EVE, than having itunes or another player running in the background.

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#108 - 2012-12-30 21:36:26 UTC
bump
I haven't forgot about the jukebox; let us not forget about this post.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Scanghis Khan
Unicorn Tea Party
#109 - 2013-01-10 06:24:21 UTC
Just signed back up for one month of Eve after having not played for quite awhile, honestly, sincerely: I can't believe they removed the Jukebox. It's like the first thing I looked for when signing in, and someone on twitch.tv told me they removed it.

I don't understand why. I went to soundcloud, the interface is annoying, and it's on a totally separate screen.

Why would they remove this. Was it causing harm to the gaming interface? I sense a financial move... free advertising on SoundCloud or something?

Anyway, bring it back -- PLEASE!!!!

Garia666
CyberShield Inc
HYDRA RELOADED
#110 - 2013-01-10 06:41:53 UTC
no idea why they removed the juke box tbh.. the problem with the sound is that if you play 4 5 hours a day. for like 10 years.. you get frustrated. However the 1st eve sound is so unique that if you hear it somewhere on tv or on someones pc you know straight away what it is.
mechtech
Ice Liberation Army
#111 - 2013-01-10 06:44:37 UTC
The jukebox just doesn't fit with the "soundscape" approach that CCP went with. Sound and music should be more than just a list of tracks.

That said, I think the soundscape system should remain somewhat extendable. Perhaps a set of folders for different situations that you can drag and drop tracks into.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#112 - 2013-01-10 08:10:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Vaerah Vahrokha
mechtech wrote:
The jukebox just doesn't fit with the "soundscape" approach that CCP went with. Sound and music should be more than just a list of tracks.

That said, I think the soundscape system should remain somewhat extendable. Perhaps a set of folders for different situations that you can drag and drop tracks into.

I used to be able to:

1) Hear the log in screen music

2) Log in into a client where the music was enabled, while all the others had it set to "pause".

3) The settings were permanent and by client, so set them once and forget...

3) ...Therefore I had exactly the enjoyable experience I wanted.

Now:

1) I can't hear the log in screen music because...

2) ...I can't set one client to "music on" and the others "music off". Only 1 global setting which alters all clients.

3) After some days fiddling with music at every login I gave up, it's too annoying to keep setting everything all the time...

4) ... Therefore I have exactly a crap experience I did not want.

Conclusion: seeing how it just follows suit of a lot of redone new things like the corp hangars forgetting the last open division, I can safely conclude the CCP usability QA are simply stealing their wage.
Nyla Skin
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#113 - 2013-01-10 08:22:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Nyla Skin
galenwade wrote:

Finding out that most people don't listen to the Music track you spend hours selecting Sad

Would you expect them to listen to it for 5 years running though?

Personally Im against this change, because I don't particularly want to use a different application for playing music, and I dont want to alt+tab away from the game if I don't have to. There has been cases in other games where it causes bugs.

In after the lock :P   - CCP Falcon www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies

Alvarus Marez
Prophets Of Fortune Ind.
#114 - 2013-01-10 09:43:48 UTC
The day I learned the Jukebox was gone was a day I thought about crying but did not because of manliness... but still, it ALMOST made me cry. That has got to count for something right?
Bring back the jukebox! A bunch of goofball turkeys can rage and shoot a statue in protest of CCP adding traversable captains quarters to the game, where's the rage when they actually lose a feature?

I'd hate to see their reaction WHEN CCP ADDS THE ABILITY TO WALK AROUND YOUR OWN GOD DAMN SPACE SHIP AND OR INTERACT WITH YOUR CREW FUUUUUU... eherm.

Carry on.
Thelodas
MoG Republic
#115 - 2013-01-10 09:50:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Thelodas
Tiberious Thessalonia wrote:
CCP RealX wrote:
Kha'Vorn wrote:
Julia Reave wrote:
...is there a way to actually stop the music or prevent it from playing other than turning its volume slider down in the options menu?

Doubt it.

Turn the slider for music down down down. I did that on my 2nd day in eve. Never slid to the right again..

Sad

If it helps any, I actually listen to EVE music even when I am not playing EVE. Big smile

Same. I have the Soundcloud feed favorited and all the tracks from there in my pc playlist
Danalee
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#116 - 2013-01-10 09:51:33 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
mechtech wrote:

I used to be able to:

1) Hear the log in screen music

2) Log in into a client where the music was enabled, while all the others had it set to "pause".

3) The settings were permanent and by client, so set them once and forget...

3) ...Therefore I had exactly the enjoyable experience I wanted.

Now:

1) I can't hear the log in screen music because...

2) ...I can't set one client to "music on" and the others "music off". Only 1 global setting which alters all clients.

3) After some days fiddling with music at every login I gave up, it's too annoying to keep setting everything all the time...

4) ... Therefore I have exactly a crap experience I did not want.

Conclusion: seeing how it just follows suit of a lot of redone new things like the corp hangars forgetting the last open division, I can safely conclude the CCP usability QA are simply stealing their wage.

My sentiments exactly, you won't belive it but this is the reason I've kept only one account active. I sincerely hope it's a bug/oversight and will be fixed soon.

D.

Proud member of the Somalian Coast Guard Authority

Member and Juror of the Court of Crime and Punishment

OffBeaT
Too Cool To Kill
#117 - 2013-01-10 09:51:54 UTC
yess.. delete it! push stop....
Hemi DarkStar
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#118 - 2013-01-10 10:19:11 UTC
The removal of the jukebox made me disable the music ingame. I don't want a player running in the background. It breaks the immersion value. I find myself playing less and less now, logging in with total silence just doesnt feel right. The music in EVE is great, only it gets boring after long hours of play.

I used to browse the internet for cool tracks that fit EVE. It was part of the fun of the game. I would sometimes just dream away in CQ, looking at my docked ship. I too want to see the jukebox brought back.
Mivonks
Usually Harmless
#119 - 2013-01-10 11:35:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Mivonks
I don't really dislike EVE's music, but I also had to turn it off because I just can't bear to listen to it constantly. It would be ideal if I could just set up a shortcut so I can toggle the music when it starts to tire me. And a shortcut to make it skip to another random song would be great as well, that's pretty much all I used the jukebox for anyway.
Juno Valerii
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#120 - 2013-01-10 11:45:38 UTC
While I only recently got into EVE and thus never saw how the old jukebox worked, even STO has an in game app that allows you to control Winamp or itunes from in game. Can we at least have that instead?