These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

PVP is boring!!!

Author
RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#21 - 2013-01-06 03:17:16 UTC
Is Mahduk your main? Because your killboard does not show PvP experience. It shows rookie ship losses and that is not a fair assesment of PvP.

You need to be in a good fleet of pilots that really know what they are doing. Then find another good fleet of pilots and give it a go.
After 50 to 100 fights you can more or less call yourself experienced.

You can mine, mission, trade, etc. But .... 98% of the ships in Eve have WEAPONS mounted. And when someone shoots your ship out of the sky, you're going to want the skills to be able to shoot back.
It's a game with guns. What else would the main focus be?
YuuKnow
The Scope
#22 - 2013-01-06 03:42:44 UTC
Mahduk wrote:
Hi,

I've always heard EvE is mainly a pvp game so i thought i must give pvp a go at some point.. I have done that now and i must say i'm really disappointed. Solo PvP is extremely boring, most of the time to spend warping around from safespot to gate and back while looking for targets. Takes hours and then the actual fight lasts about a minitue and there is very little you can do apart from switching on all guns and setting orbit to optimal range. I definitely don't see the point in wasting all that time for a few seconds of pvp time. Then, i tried RvB to get some idea of fleet pvp. This might be intersting to the commanding FC, but you as an individual are just a pawn and once you get primaried that's it, not much you can do.

So i'm really failing to see how the PvP in EvE got this reputation. I hate grinding missions but at least you're making progress, warping between safespots for hours is just a complete waste of time. Or am i'm missing something here?

Join Red vs Blue
Vizvig
Savage Blizzard
#23 - 2013-01-06 07:19:15 UTC
I stay cloacked
day
...more

and this guy on gate waiting while my mining barge gets uncloacked
one day
... and more

this is pvp
Meditril
Second Star
Cheese Party
#24 - 2013-01-06 09:27:55 UTC
If you are lacking an enemy to PVP with there is a very simple solution:

1. Join a faction in Faction Warefare.
2. If you are Caldari/Amarr go Eszur, if you are Galente/Minmatar go Siside solar system.
3. Open a plex and wait. Usually you will get a visitor in less than 5 minutes.
4. PVP
Eight Two
SWIFT Inc.
#25 - 2013-01-06 14:39:41 UTC
Meditril wrote:
If you are lacking an enemy to PVP with there is a very simple solution:

1. Join a faction in Faction Warefare.
2. If you are Caldari/Amarr go Eszur, if you are Galente/Minmatar go Siside solar system.
3. Open a plex and wait. Usually you will get a visitor in less than 5 minutes.
4. PVP

Confirming this thread is about how to find PvP.

Seriously though, Eve PvP favors the guy either properly thinking about his fits or the best copycat over twitch gameplay. If you want more "action", you'd probably have to go look somewhere else.

People on this forum have a habit of portraying PvP as rocket science, when it fact there is very little the pilot can actually do during a fight in comparison to what he can do before it. The Rocket Science part is actually preparing for the fight and learning when/what to engage and the meta-game. In that respect Eve's much more a strategy game than anything else.

Bad Messenger
Rehabilitation Clinic
#26 - 2013-01-06 14:44:23 UTC
agreed, EVE pvp is really boring. Mostly it is just farming clueless people.

Sometimes you may get fun moments in PVP but that happens rarely, too rarely to see all that effort for it.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#27 - 2013-01-06 15:49:10 UTC
Bad Messenger wrote:

Sometimes you may get fun moments in PVP but that happens rarely, too rarely to see all that effort for it.

That is a completely self made hell...

You don't have to "Farm" clueless people

If you want excitement take a ship out.. find a fight you think you have a 20-30% chance of winning tops... and go for it.

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Bad Messenger
Rehabilitation Clinic
#28 - 2013-01-06 16:38:50 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
Bad Messenger wrote:

That is a completely self made hell...

You don't have to "Farm" clueless people

If you want excitement take a ship out.. find a fight you think you have a 20-30% chance of winning tops... and go for it.

when PERVS were in caldari militia we counted that if gallente brings 5x more players we will get even fight with same size ships
Garr Earthbender
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#29 - 2013-01-06 17:05:50 UTC
So much has changed hasn't it Messenger?

-Scissors is overpowered, rock is fine. -Paper

CausticS0da
Shrubbery Acquisitions
Blohm and Voss Shipyards Alliance
#30 - 2013-01-06 21:18:16 UTC
This is a terrible thread with terrible people in it. The fact that nobody questioned his statement that pvp is just about hitting orbit is just a small part of how terrible it is.
Vaju Enki
Secular Wisdom
#31 - 2013-01-06 21:57:37 UTC
Probably this is not the game for you.

The Tears Must Flow

SeaSaw
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2013-01-07 02:26:34 UTC
Mahduk wrote:
Hi,

I've always heard EvE is mainly a pvp game so i thought i must give pvp a go at some point.. I have done that now and i must say i'm really disappointed. Solo PvP is extremely boring, most of the time to spend warping around from safespot to gate and back while looking for targets. Takes hours and then the actual fight lasts about a minitue and there is very little you can do apart from switching on all guns and setting orbit to optimal range. I definitely don't see the point in wasting all that time for a few seconds of pvp time. Then, i tried RvB to get some idea of fleet pvp. This might be intersting to the commanding FC, but you as an individual are just a pawn and once you get primaried that's it, not much you can do.

So i'm really failing to see how the PvP in EvE got this reputation. I hate grinding missions but at least you're making progress, warping between safespots for hours is just a complete waste of time. Or am i'm missing something here?

Good Mahduk;

You are right, it is boring. Wandering around looking for fights (or even worse, that tedious sphereical probe-scanning system) is amazingly dull. I play the harmonica most the time I am logged into eve (or read Evilyn Waugh). If you join FW and go and sit and plex in Siseide at peak times it is just tolerable. Somebody attacks you every 10 minutes or so and you click the button to set your distance and the button for the guns.

To make PvP enjoyable you need a good book for all the down time.

If they really want to improve the game they could make dscan automatic and it could sound a beep when someone was detected, or a least let it beep when someone comes on grid. Then I wouldn't have to sit where I can see the monitor.

your humble servent
SeaSaw
Thomas Gore
Blackfyre Enterprise
#33 - 2013-01-07 08:13:44 UTC
You have misunderstood. EVE PvP is not about actual combat between ships. It's everything that happens before and after it. Almost every battle is decided before the first shot is fired. That's just how it goes.
IbanezLaney
The Church of Awesome
Shadow Cartel
#34 - 2013-01-07 09:39:10 UTC
Mahduk wrote:
Hi,

It felt the same for me for ages.

I used to find it so difficult to find a fight but then realized - I was just being too cautious and picky about targets + didn't really know how to find them efficiently.
In many fights I would gtfo thinking I had no chance of winning when I should have stayed. (This is still something I do too often)

Now it is different - it seems easy to find some pew. There are a few quiet patches but that's when you fit ships etc...

Lowsec seems busier now which has helped a bit - but the biggest difference in finding fights is my perception/approach to pvp.
Find someone who will fc you in a 3-5 min gang who is not afraid of taking on the odds.
Use the time to learning how to counter different ships.

I don't think it is boring killing a bunch of pirates in their 'bigger ships' with a few hookbills.
That is where the real fun is - finding something big and expensive then killing it with something cheap and small.
I was trying it for ages with no success - now after lots of playing with which fits work for me and learning - now I do ok at pvp even against much bigger odds sometimes.

In my experience - the bigger the ships get and the bigger the fleet gets - the more boring the fleet gets.
Many might not agree but small fast fleets are just my preference.

If the pvp you tried was boring with too much downtime/waiting - try and get into some fleets with different FC's.
Some are fun to fly with. There are others where you can't hit the quit fleet button fast enough.
Don't put up with ragers/abusive fc's. They just want someone else to blame and forget what it was like when they were learning.

A good FC is everything when you are learning pvp.

Eve pvp is the only game where I actually can panic or feel excitement while playing. No other game I can remember has actually given an adrenalin rush while pewing before. - but eve has.

+ as others have said - If you are in safe spots then you are wasting your time.
Lots of fights happen off planets, sun and fw plexes - no one is gonna bother scanning you out in a safe unless you undock something silly and make it worthwhile to find you.

Damn I typed a lot..... I'll stop now.
Princess Nexxala
Quantum Cats Syndicate
#35 - 2013-01-07 18:11:49 UTC
BM is permanently stuck in the past when he was once sort of relevant. Poor guy, all the OGB, dual boxing, no risk pvp got a bit boring for him I suppose.

Garr Earthbender wrote:
So much has changed hasn't it Messenger?

nom nom

Substantia Nigra
Polaris Rising
The Bastion
#36 - 2013-01-07 19:23:36 UTC
Wow! I am impressed. Some dood posts to complain about, or at least state his dislike of, some element of eve that he appears to have hardly ever engaged in ... and we all turn it into a thread. Whatever happened to "WOW is thataway"?

I guess I am almost a 'vet' by now. Hopefully not too bitter and managing to help more than I hinder. I build and sell many things, including large collections of bookmarks.

Jame Jarl Retief
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#37 - 2013-01-07 19:35:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Jame Jarl Retief
Mag's wrote:
So you're complaining about solo PvP, in an MMO designed to reward group play? Hmmm.

To be fair, as a general rule EVE doesn't exactly reward group play. Some gameplay requires a group, and pays more because of it, but it doesn't reward grouping for those things where groups are not required. As such, I feel EVE actually punishes grouping.

Good example is current FW plex mechanics. In many/most other MMOs, the more people gather around the "flag", the faster it caps. Simple logic being, you risk more troops by doing it, and gathering in one place. Thus, your reward is that the node flips faster when you do it with more people. In EVE, not only does the plex not cap faster, but the reward for doing it gets split between the participants, rather than each participant receiving the same LP in group as he would have received solo. As such, there's no incentive and no reward for grouping there. In fact, there's strong incentive NOT to group and do things together.

Not to mention that grouping as a whole is a bit counter-intuitive in EVE. First you are told not to trust anyone, and then you're expected to group with (initially) total strangers, thus opening yourself up to all kinds of potential grief. Hence the heavy vetting process of most corps in EVE, and general reluctance to fleet up with random people.
Mutnin
SQUIDS.
#38 - 2013-01-07 19:40:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Mutnin
Mahduk wrote:
Hi,

Welcome to EVE.. You are missing the EVE of a few years ago, a magical fairy tale land, where there were targets in space every once in awhile, that amazingly enough wanted to fight you with out bringing all 50 of their best friends. It was still few and far between, kinda like pink unicorns, but they were out there regardless. It always took 5 hours to find the 30 second fight though, so no changes there..
TomyLobo
Negative Density
D3nse Matter
#39 - 2013-01-07 20:35:03 UTC
EvE is a sand box so it's quite different from your casual MMO. If you want a game solely based on PVP then go play Heroes of Newerth or League of Legends. You'll get all the PvP you could ever ask for without even trying.
Moreover, what I've noticed in this thread is that people have their own definitions of fun PVP. Maybe you should try out different stuff and see what works out for you. I find it to be fun when I pick on helpless people or outsmart those that think they are prepared. Go figure...
Patch Gatsby
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#40 - 2013-01-07 22:39:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Patch Gatsby
PvP is very different in different places. Big blob sov wars in null, gate camping in low sec pipes, high sec war decing are all types of PvP. They are each very different. If you want to get fights easily without too much hassle, join RvB. That is one place where if you do wait an hour, you do so knowing a fight will come. They even have a solo system. I have no desire to fight in a 500 man fleet, but I have a great time in 10-20 man fleets or breaking gate camps in low sec. At the end of the day, Eve is the most realistic MMO there is in terms of PvP. Real enemies don't come to fight you when you want them to, where you want them to, in the numbers and strength that you want them to. Real warriors hunt their enemies for days or weeks, only to be ambushed and killed on the way home. There are tons of games out there that will hand you fights, thankfully this isn't one of them.