These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

When will the GM team be producing their response to the Miner Bumping Discussion Thread?

First post
Author
Boudacca Sangrere
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#81 - 2013-01-07 20:22:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Boudacca Sangrere
RubyPorto wrote:
Boudacca Sangrere wrote:
Simple solution for miner bumping:

IF the bump disrupts the miner (the module not the pilot) by forcing the bumpee out of range of the rock, then give the bumper a simple suspect flag.

This would hold true to the time honored tradition of EvE that every action also has (some sort of) reaction.

I am thinking this would result in places where bumping occurs become a whole lot more interesting.

Twisted

B.

Why should miners get some special arbitrary protection from bumping? You just got a giant buff from CCP and you're already whinging for another one?

I neither mine nor gank, so this would not buff or nerf me either way. Your reaction though seems to indicate you are a tad miffed about the buff mining ships got. Frankly, after thinking ever so briefly about this, I would like to know from someone who does mine, and from someone who does bump the following:

Can a bumper prevent a NON afk miner from mining? HOW many would it take if one cannot?

IF a NON afk miner can continue to mine - then no problem with bumping. Keep and allow as is.

IF a NON afk miner is clearly prevented from mining - then implement a function that will flag the bumper for the agression which he clearly perpetrates The idea about module interruption is just one, I am sure there are others. Collission damage etc. will not work due to bottlenecks like Station undock etc.

B.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#82 - 2013-01-07 20:23:09 UTC
Yusef Yeasef Yosef wrote:
RubyPorto wrote:
Bumping is simply a form of harassment. The only purpose is to annoy, regardless of all the excuses.

Since CCP defines quite clearly what constitutes Harassment in their game, Quote and Link where CCP has said that.

Then petition all of the bumpers for violating the TOS (which explicitly bans any form of Harassment).

Just because a Company doesn't want to admit it, doesn't mean it isn't true. Plenty of examples of that.

So charging rent on someone who lands on Boardwalk is harassment, despite Hasbro's claims to the contrary?

When the people who make the rules for a game say that the rules allow X, X is allowed. Duh.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Yusef Yeasef Yosef
Doomheim
#83 - 2013-01-07 20:24:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Yusef Yeasef Yosef
RubyPorto wrote:
RubyPorto wrote:
Bumping is simply a form of harassment. The only purpose is to annoy, regardless of all the excuses.

Since CCP defines quite clearly what constitutes Harassment in their game, Quote and Link where CCP has said that.

Then petition all of the bumpers for violating the TOS (which explicitly bans any form of Harassment).

Just because a Company doesn't want to admit it, doesn't mean it isn't true. Plenty of examples of that.

So charging rent on someone who lands on Boardwalk is harassment, despite Hasbro's claims to the contrary?

When the people who make the rules for a game say that the rules allow X, X is allowed. Duh.

Now you are just getting silly. P
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#84 - 2013-01-07 20:25:15 UTC
Boudacca Sangrere wrote:
I neither mine nor gank, so this would not buff or nerf me either way. Your reaction though seems to indicate you are a tad miffed about the buff mining ships got. Frankly, after thinking ever so briefly about this, I would like to know from someone who does mine, and from someone who does bump the following:

Can a bumper prevent a NON afk miner from mining? HOW many would it take if one cannot?

IF a non afk miner can continue to mine - then no problem with bumping. Keep and allow as is.

IF a non afk miner is clearly prevented from mining - then implement a function that will flag the bumper for the agression which it clearly is. The idea about module interruption is just one, I am sure there are others. Collission damage etc. will not work due to bottlenecks like Station undock etc.

B.

Mine aligned to another part of the belt or to another belt. Warp when a bumper approaches. Bumping solved by being ATK.

Exactly the same tactic that has always provided guaranteed safety from gankers.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#85 - 2013-01-07 20:25:59 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:

You made the claim.

Kainotomiu Ronuken
koahisquad
#86 - 2013-01-07 20:27:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Kainotomiu Ronuken
Boudacca Sangrere wrote:
IF a NON afk miner is clearly prevented from mining - then implement a function that will flag the bumper for the agression which he clearly perpetrates The idea about module interruption is just one, I am sure there are others. Collission damage etc. will not work due to bottlenecks like Station undock etc.

Depends on the skill of the bumper and the bumpee.

Or the miner could just pay 10 million ISK and that's it.

Piugattuk wrote:
Miner bumping is grief play IMO, being done by;

1.bored players
2.immaturity
3.lonely middle age guy who angry
4.obsessive player focusing on the lowest thing that won't fight back.

Take your pick it's probably time for those players to get their face out of the monitor and deal with RL so they won't be any of the above.
Great answer! If you can't beat them ingame, just claim to have a better real life!
Tali Ambraelle
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#87 - 2013-01-07 20:27:39 UTC
Kainotomiu Ronuken wrote:

This is EVE. CCP's game. Not Yusef's game. It doesn't matter what you think harassment means. In this context, the only relevant definition is CCP's definition.

Eve is a game. This is not the real world. Just because you are so disconnected from reality that you think harassment in the true sense of the word is ONLY defined by a game company doesn't mean others will feed into your delusion.

You and others like you are so disconnected from the real world that I believe you need to have a time out Smile
Boudacca Sangrere
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#88 - 2013-01-07 20:27:52 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:
Boudacca Sangrere wrote:

IF a non afk miner can continue to mine - then no problem with bumping. Keep and allow as is.

IF a non afk miner is clearly prevented from mining - then implement a function that will flag the bumper for the agression which it clearly is. The idea about module interruption is just one, I am sure there are others. Collission damage etc. will not work due to bottlenecks like Station undock etc.

B.

Mine aligned to another part of the belt or to another belt. Warp when a bumper approaches. Bumping solved by being ATK.

Exactly the same tactic that has always provided guaranteed safety from gankers.

Not quite. There is a difference in having to move to stay in range of your currently targeted rocks, or warping off to another place. A pretty big difference actually.

B.
Aracimia Wolfe
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#89 - 2013-01-07 20:28:31 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:

And this you see is the genius of the charge for a permit. Fact of the matter is the code, and the fee turns this from a simple attempt to be annoying to a valid tactic for emergent gameplay in the sandbox.

Only the saviour of hisec could have thought of such brilliance!

On a more serious note, anyone who is anti miner bumping is also anti tackle/covops/cap bumping, anyone who is anti these highly valid methods of controlling hostiles in a fleet/small gang/solo pvp environment is at best a bit strange in the head at worst (insert ISD removeable commentry here)

The fact of the matter is that CCP would have to put new ruling in to seperate miners from other eve players, and thats just dumb. Not trying to be offensive here but really use the whole book not just the first two pages eh?

Other "effective" methods to give the miners a chance thats fine. As I've said before the New order would probably welcome the challenge, at least they're at the keyboard to try. And failing that they always have the Knight s of the New order to fall back on.

Again, repeat after me "They charge therefore it's legit"

And once again I am not part of the new order, but I do however fully and utterly approve their right to develop content for this game after their own fashion.

Kill it with Fire!

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#90 - 2013-01-07 20:29:58 UTC
Rodtrik wrote:
Nice strawman. I'll reiterate. Provide evidence where CCP ever said ganking was meant to be profitable. If you do not, your opinion will forthwith be considered moot, biased, and uninformed.

I dunno, try the fact that cargo has dropped from ships you kill since the beginning of time? The fact that we have cargo scanners?

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#91 - 2013-01-07 20:30:47 UTC
Tali Ambraelle wrote:

This is EVE. CCP's game. Not Yusef's game. It doesn't matter what you think harassment means. In this context, the only relevant definition is CCP's definition.

Eve is a game. This is not the real world. Just because you are so disconnected from reality that you think harassment in the true sense of the word is ONLY defined by a game company doesn't mean others will feed into your delusion.

You and others like you are so disconnected from the real world that I believe you need to have a time out Smile

In any other PvP game a "bumper" would be regarded as some hybrid between human failure and a psycho.
In EvE it's sanctioned game play though. EvE indeed attracts a special kind of players.
Tali Ambraelle
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#92 - 2013-01-07 20:30:47 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:

This shows that you are nothing but biased and have no real credible opinion. This doesn't work with ice mining, which is what they target. You would never be able to complete a cycle. Problem not solved. Roll Typical belligerent undesirable thinking...

No, it doesn't. It's either get bumped or pay. Extortion, risk free extortion. Filth.
Kainotomiu Ronuken
koahisquad
#93 - 2013-01-07 20:31:37 UTC
Tali Ambraelle wrote:

You started off well, but then you misunderstood me.

What harassment means in the real world applies in the real world.

What harassment means according to CCP applies in EVE.

No overlap.
Tali Ambraelle
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#94 - 2013-01-07 20:33:56 UTC
Tali Ambraelle wrote:

You started off well, but then you misunderstood me.

What harassment means in the real world applies in the real world.

What harassment means according to CCP applies in EVE.

No overlap.

Yes, there is. Eve is not a magical place where real world conduct does not apply. Harassment is harassment is harassment until such time that Oxford University decides to change the definition. Keep feeding your delusions though! It simply makes it more evident that you are nothing but a filthy belligerent undesirable who has no place in high sec Smile
Yusef Yeasef Yosef
Doomheim
#95 - 2013-01-07 20:34:21 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:
RubyPorto wrote:

You made the claim.

The subject of "bumping in Eve" and "charging rent in Monopoly" are not even in the same relm in regard to gameplay.

Bumping in non-combat situations is an emergent form of harassment allowed by loose gampley rules.
Charging rent is on the other hand, is a clearly written mechanic of gameplay.

One is allowed by loose rules, the other is a specific game mechanic. Trying to equate the two is simply, silly.

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#96 - 2013-01-07 20:36:04 UTC
Tali Ambraelle wrote:
RubyPorto wrote:

This shows that you are nothing but biased and have no real credible opinion. This doesn't work with ice mining, which is what they target. You would never be able to complete a cycle. Problem not solved. Roll Typical belligerent undesirable thinking...

Even with Ice mining, it takes less time to relock after warping somewhere you're aligned to than slowboating back from wherever you've been bumped to.

Or just pay the 10m ISK.

Or mine Ore if Ice mining is too "risky."

Quote:

No, it doesn't. It's either get bumped or pay. Extortion, risk free extortion. Filth.

Feel free to create some risk for them by ganking them.

But "Risk Free" extortion of people engaged in a Risk Free activity. Sounds like a fit.

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#97 - 2013-01-07 20:38:42 UTC
The subject of "bumping in Eve" and "charging rent in Monopoly" are not even in the same relm in regard to gameplay.

Bumping in non-combat situations is an emergent form of harassment allowed by loose gampley rules.

One is allowed by loose rules, the other is a specific game mechanic. Trying to equate the two is simply, silly.

Bumping is a specific game mechanic. CCP specifically included collisions as a game mechanic. Some space games do not have collision detection at all.

Both are quite specific game mechanics. But people playing monopoly understand that they're playing with other people who might sometimes cause them in-game inconvenience. People complaining about bumping do not seem to understand that.

Kainotomiu Ronuken
koahisquad
#98 - 2013-01-07 20:40:40 UTC
Tali Ambraelle wrote:
Yes, there is. Eve is not a magical place where real world conduct does not apply. Harassment is harassment is harassment until such time that Oxford University decides to change the definition. Keep feeding your delusions though! It simply makes it more evident that you are nothing but a filthy belligerent undesirable who has no place in high sec Smile

No there isn't. I can harass you according to your definition (or interpretation of the OED's definition) as much as I like ingame, so long as I don't harass you according to CCP's definition. Smile
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#99 - 2013-01-07 20:43:22 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:
Or mine Ore if Ice mining is too "risky."

But mining ore requires slightly more attention than ice mining, which only requires less than a minute of attention every hour. This is too much for AFKers.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Yusef Yeasef Yosef
Doomheim
#100 - 2013-01-07 20:44:46 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:

Bumping is a specific game mechanic. CCP specifically included collisions as a game mechanic. Some space games do not have collision detection at all.

Both are quite specific game mechanics. But people playing monopoly understand that they're playing with other people who might sometimes cause them in-game inconvenience. People complaining about bumping do not seem to understand that.

Bumping for combat situations is completely valid, as in where it results in ship destruction.

Outside of that, it is harrasment. CCP may not admit to this, but any reasonable person would; unless they are weakly attempting to justify their in-game behavior.

You can spin it anyway you like, but it simply ends up being "weak-sauce" behavior justification.