These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Possible to become self sustaining in 14 day trial?

First post First post
Author
Zearsocom Patrouette
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-01-05 08:24:58 UTC
Is it possible to make enough money for a plex within the time frame of a fourteen day trial? Just curious because i am loving the game so far, and also the idea of making an account purely for play4free and having the danger of being unable to play because 'i cant pay the rent' seems to excite me.
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-01-05 08:39:37 UTC
Possible, yes. Likely to happen, no.

To make 600 million in 14 days (well, 600 million plus all your expenses), you need to either get bloody lucky or have a good knowledge of the game.

Station trading or scamming are probably the only 2 ways that might work in that kind of time frame with a new character and minimal skills. Mining maybe, if you mine 12-14 hours a day for 14 days nonstop, maybe. Industry requires more skills. Exploration maybe, but that's very luck-based. You might make a billion in a 2 hours, you might make a million in 5 days. Missions, L1 and L2 missions won't pay enough

Be careful. The 'I must make a PLEX this month' can easily turn the game into a second job, one where you spend most of the month doing stuff you hate so that you can get the ISK to pay for another month where you spend most of the time doing stuff you hate, etc.
Vilnius Zar
SDC Multi Ten
#3 - 2013-01-05 08:57:53 UTC
Yes, you can. If you do some research and put in the hours it's possible. All you really need is around 50 mil per day and you can make that happen as a newbie, but it does require a time investment, effort and some luck. Exploration doing radars will easily do that if you put in the time and can be done by 2 day old chars.
Boudacca Sangrere
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-01-05 10:48:39 UTC
As the previous posters have said, yes it is possible, but highly unlikely. A pretty surefire way would be this though:

Get a buddy invite (extends your trial to 21 days) and thus gives you more time to earn the isk necessary.

ALSO, usually, anyone giving you a buddy invite will get a plex from CCP once you sign up. Thus it is not uncommon to offer new players 400 mil Isk or more as an incentive. So your second plex should not be too hard to come by...

B.
Rammes lol
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-01-05 11:37:53 UTC
start eating caffeine pills dont sleep for the next 14 days grind some missions while mining at the same time might get you close lol

If you find yourself in a fair fight in EvE your tactics suck!!!

Zoe Athame
Don't Lose Your Way
#6 - 2013-01-05 18:02:28 UTC
If you have to ask, you won't be able to.
Merouk Baas
#7 - 2013-01-05 19:06:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Merouk Baas
He's not risking anything.

The buddy invite forces you to make a new account as his buddy, and you get an extended trial, which you get to keep even if you activate full subscription on day 1. He gets a plex when you go full subscription, and he's giving you the majority of the value of that plex.

You could actually buddy yourself, and get the plex on the first account and the extended trial on the second, but then you're paying for 2 subscriptions basically, which may not be what you want.
CCP Eterne
C C P
C C P Alliance
#8 - 2013-01-05 20:36:08 UTC
I have removed a Buddy Trial offer from here, as it is not allowed outside of the sticky.

EVE Online/DUST 514 Community Representative ※ EVE Illuminati ※ Fiction Adept

@CCP_Eterne ※ @EVE_LiveEvents

Ace Kurosaki
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2013-01-05 22:39:44 UTC
I sent you a message in game

message me when u r next online and i'll give u tips on how to make isk
Merouk Baas
#10 - 2013-01-05 22:53:19 UTC
He can see in-game messages from the website here if he logs in to post. You can send messages from here without having to log into the game. It can function as a private forum conversation via private messages.
Flurk Hellbron
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#11 - 2013-01-05 23:32:04 UTC
No, you can not.
Veraca Darmazaf
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2013-01-06 01:14:53 UTC
You can brute force it if you have a silly amount of free time, but it's really not worth it.
ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#13 - 2013-01-06 01:31:35 UTC
A PLEX is 570 million ISK right now. That comes out to making 40 million ISK per day, every single day of your trial. This can theoretically be accomplished by running a boatload of missions, mining for hours and hours, or getting really lucky with trading or scamming. Any way you turn it, you need to either put in a lot of time and effort -- at low skills, this would be at least 3-4 hours every day, and possibly way more.

Unless you really enjoy doing whatever you choose to do to afford the PLEX, then you are likely to get stuck in a really un-fun "grind so i can grind more" loop, which can make Eve a terrible experience. Ultimately it's up to you, but having to grind out the month's "rent" can really take the fun out of it.

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

Aptenodytes
Reckless Abandon
#14 - 2013-01-07 09:51:07 UTC
If you want to do this then you need to treat EVE like a job. After the trial ends, to earn a PLEX a month you need to earn 27 mil per working day, that is just under 4 mil per hour if you do 9-5 with an hour for lunch. Certainly you can earn this by mining or loot thieving or mission running or pretty much anything really.

Or if you've got that much free time, you could just get a real job, and in 3-4 hours earn enough to buy a month's subscription plus a PLEX you can sell to buy some shinies......
Haedonism Bot
People for the Ethical Treatment of Rogue Drones
#15 - 2013-01-07 13:15:07 UTC
It can be done, as others have said, but only with a lot of work. And once all that work is done, you don't get to spend your isk on anything fun - just buy your PLEX and start saving for the next one. Might be an interesting challenge to try if you have the time for it, but not really worth the trouble for most of us.

www.everevolutionaryfront.blogspot.com

Vote Sabriz Adoudel and Tora Bushido for CSMX. Keep the Evil in EVE!

Fractal Muse
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2013-01-07 14:37:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Fractal Muse
I would suggest to buy the first month of EVE time properly to give yourself a cushion for learning how to play. With a buddy invite that will give you 51 days of play time.

That said, it is doable. It just depends how much time you have that you are willing to put into the game.

Exploration is probably your best option for making that kind of ISK but it will rely on a significant time investment.

Another option is to salvage other people's level 4 missions (or go to 0.0 and do it there) and sell the loot. You may have to buy the 'rights' to the level 4 loot or split the profits with the mission goer.

You could also use a small ship and fly around dangerous regions (0.0) and quickly loot other player wrecks.

If you do all of the tutorial missions you'll have a small seed amount that you could use for trading. You can buy a bunch of stuff cheap in the starting systems and bring it to a larger market. There you can buy some things and bring them somewhere else to sell for a little bit more. If you keep this up and do it intelligently, you'll reach your goal.

I would not suggest mining or running missions. These two activities require a lot of skill points before they can bring in the kind of ISK you would need - a PLEX goes for around 560 million ISK. You can find them for 550 million but you should be estimating having 600 million. Although if you have enough time to play you could probably do it in missions or even mining. By enough time I'm talking about at least ten hours of play time per day.

To make this kind of ISK will need a plan on what you are doing to do and how to do it. You will need to spend a significant amount of real time playing the game. Assuming you have 21 days, that means you need to make 29 million per real life day. If you have 14 days then you have to make 42 million per day.

I'm not sure about the rewards from the epic mission arcs but that might be viable.

Another option, now that I think about it - you could redo all the training missions in all of the starter systems. The training missions bring in an 'okay' amount of ISK. I believe that by the end of doing all the tutorials you will have ~10 million ISK in your wallet and as assets. You can sell all the extra ships and skill books.

I also believe that you can redo the tutorials from each of the start systems. At the very least you can do them from each of the races. So you can do the tutorials at least four times (although I think you can do them 12 times) so that will give you a start while your primary ISK making skills train up (exploration, trading, salvaging, whatever you decide.)

Finally, you can social engineer the ISK aka convince people to give it to you or loan it to you.

Good luck! I still recommend planning on buying your first month of playtime.
Usagi Toshiro
Null Tax Crew
#17 - 2013-01-07 15:31:05 UTC
ISD LackOfFaith wrote:
A PLEX is 570 million ISK right now. That comes out to making 40 million ISK per day, every single day of your trial. This can theoretically be accomplished by running a boatload of missions, mining for hours and hours, or getting really lucky with trading or scamming. Any way you turn it, you need to either put in a lot of time and effort -- at low skills, this would be at least 3-4 hours every day, and possibly way more.

Unless you really enjoy doing whatever you choose to do to afford the PLEX, then you are likely to get stuck in a really un-fun "grind so i can grind more" loop, which can make Eve a terrible experience. Ultimately it's up to you, but having to grind out the month's "rent" can really take the fun out of it.

Hit the nail on the head here. If you like EVE, I'd set aside 2-3 months subscription cost while you figure out your niche in game. Once you've found what you like to do, make it lucrative. Then lay out a plan to make the ISK for PLEX.

Trolls are like stray cats. If you feed them they multiply. Please do not  feed the trolls.

Pinaculus
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2013-01-07 15:58:15 UTC
EVE is totally worth $15 a month, but if you get a rush off of "needing the money" then try scamming for it. I've never scammed ISK, because it makes me feel icky. I have fallen for a few scams, though, which is proof that they work.

I know sometimes it's difficult to realize just how much you spend on incidental things each month or year, but seriously, EVE is very cheap entertainment compared to most things... If you are a smoker, smoke one less pack a week and pay for EVE, with money left over to pick up a cheap bundle of flowers for the EVE widow upstairs.

Xintri Ra'Virr
Yamaguchi-Gumi
#19 - 2013-01-08 10:40:10 UTC
Zearsocom Patrouette wrote:
Is it possible to make enough money for a plex within the time frame of a fourteen day trial? Just curious because i am loving the game so far, and also the idea of making an account purely for play4free and having the danger of being unable to play because 'i cant pay the rent' seems to excite me.

So you want to make around 600m ISK in 14 days with char that barely has any skillpoints?

I think its impossible, sorry.

However later on its quite easy to make 1 Bill ISK in 3-4 days in lowsec. But you need good hardware for that and knowledge about lowsec survival. Not ot mention at least 20mil SP character which is a year time worth of playing.

Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#20 - 2013-01-08 10:54:42 UTC
You're aware that there are games that are straight-up free (League of Legends, Planetside, Etc) and games that are free after the initial purchase of the software (Guild Wars 2, like two of every three MMOs ever put on the market). If you're actually that hard-up for cash maybe a game without a monthly subscription in the first place is right for you?

Remember, there are only as many PLEX available in-game as there are players willing to spend 30+ dollars for a month on the game instead of 10-15$ (or whatever that is in your local currency). That's pretty much a fixed proportion of players, so the more people go for the grindfest+PLEX method of paying subscription, the more expensive those PLEX are going to get.

Or, to put it another way: you like the game enough to play it for upwards of four hours a day, but you don't like it enough to chip in for two to three mugs of decent beer for the developers in a given month? Sheesh.
12Next page