These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Troubling times

First post
Author
Proletariat Tingtango
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#21 - 2013-01-02 00:39:41 UTC
roleplaying is lame as hell nobody should be defending it in any game.
Aditu Riraille
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2013-01-02 01:04:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Aditu Riraille
You know it's kinda funny how at the end of the day, 98% the EVE Forums content as it stands today boils down to players voicing opinions on how the game should be played... or else (fill in the blank).

Whether overt or implied, seems people just can't help but comment on how some other guy is in the wrong, screwing up his glorious experience by flagrant use of methods that are inferior and detrimental to his own. Honestly, think about it. Take almost any thread and find the lowest common denominator - invariably it ends up being a difference of opinion on EVE play.

Really though, isn't it "all good" if it means more subscribers, hence more content from CCP? We can argue the particulars ad nauseum here, but maybe a little more effort to bear with it and less wailing and gnashing of teeth are in order... from ALL SIDES.

This isn't directed at you Some Rando as a putdown, just my own observation.

"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T. S. Eliot   

Some Rando
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2013-01-02 01:09:38 UTC
Aditu Riraille wrote:
Whether overt or implied, seems people just can't help but comment on how some other guy is in the wrong, screwing up his glorious experience by flagrant use of methods that are inferior and detrimental to his own. Honestly, think about it. Take almost any thread and find the lowest common denominator - invariably it ends up being a difference of opinion on EVE play.

PvP in the sandbox at its finest.

CCP has no sense of humour.

Aditu Riraille
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2013-01-02 01:16:26 UTC
Some Rando wrote:
PvP in the sandbox at its finest.

Agreed, to a point. But is that all there is?? No room for alternative play? No deviation from the "norm" that is the PvP segment of EVE players?

I just happen to believe there IS room for other types of play in EVE without destroying what sets it apart from other MMOs- that's all. Obviously there is a huge contingent of folks here that believe otherwise...

"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T. S. Eliot   

Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#25 - 2013-01-02 01:36:17 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Marlona Sky wrote:
Who are you to tell them how to enjoy the game?

I don't think he was.

Thread title is called 'Troubling times'. OP regards role playing as a bad thing. Basically he does not like how they are playing the game.

Why is it everywhere I post you follow me to chime in just to argue with me, no matter what?

QuestionQuestionQuestionQuestionQuestionQuestion
Some Rando
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2013-01-02 01:42:32 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:
OP regards role playing as a bad thing. Basically he does not like how they are playing the game.

What if I'm roleplaying a guy who doesn't like roleplaying?

Marlona Sky wrote:
Why is it everywhere I post you follow me to chime in just to argue with me, no matter what?

Who are you to tell him how to play the game?

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#27 - 2013-01-02 01:49:18 UTC
I don't role-play often.

But when I do, it's in EVE online.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#28 - 2013-01-02 02:09:55 UTC
Some Rando wrote:
Marlona Sky wrote:
OP regards role playing as a bad thing. Basically he does not like how they are playing the game.

What if I'm roleplaying a guy who doesn't like roleplaying?

Marlona Sky wrote:

Who are you to tell him how to play the game?

touché
MatrixSkye Mk2
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#29 - 2013-01-02 02:26:34 UTC
Some Rando wrote:
I was tooling around in Brapelille today and noticed a lot of roleplaying going on in local. Is this a taste of the future of high-sec, roleplaying everywhere?

Did you file a petition?

Successfully doinitwrong™ since 2006.

Vortexo VonBrenner
Doomheim
#30 - 2013-01-02 02:33:56 UTC
Proletariat Tingtango wrote:

So...does that mean you've changed your mind about opening La Maison Deux? After all your plans you talked about I thought for sure you were going to do it. Not really my thing, but I fully support your choice.
Ave Kathrina
My Ass Is On Fire
#31 - 2013-01-02 02:46:58 UTC
I like to role play a space pirate by scanning down mission runners and stealing thier mission loot.

For example, last night a German pilot chirped up with this rather amusing piece of roleplay after I stole his Confiscated Viral Agent;

"Go back to monkey land and f*&k your mother".
I've done some really stupid shit in this game.
Aether Serval
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#32 - 2013-01-02 02:54:15 UTC
Stealth James315 advertisement.. or do you seriously not know that's where his lot are currently deployed?

That's not the kind of role play you think it is, it is the buy our mining permit and follow our rules or else kind.
Mistah Ewedynao
Ice Axe Psycho Killers
#33 - 2013-01-02 02:58:18 UTC

Why? It works for you.

You can sit in Mom's cellar and pretend you are a L337 forum pilot.

Nerf Goons

Nuke em from orbit....it's the only way to be sure.

Some Rando
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#34 - 2013-01-02 03:05:12 UTC
Aether Serval wrote:
Stealth James315 advertisement.. or do you seriously not know that's where his lot are currently deployed?

That's not the kind of role play you think it is, it is the buy our mining permit and follow our rules or else kind.

So they're not role-playing space-extortionists with a semi-religious devotion to a messiah figure and his commandments?

Some Rando
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2013-01-02 03:06:32 UTC
Mistah Ewedynao wrote:

Why? It works for you.

You can sit in Mom's cellar and pretend you are a L337 forum pilot.

Please keep things civil (unless you're role-playing a terrible poster, in which case, carry on).

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#36 - 2013-01-02 03:48:57 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Marlona Sky wrote:
Who are you to tell them how to enjoy the game?

I don't think he was.

Thread title is called 'Troubling times'. OP regards role playing as a bad thing. Basically he does not like how they are playing the game.

QuestionQuestionQuestionQuestionQuestionQuestion

I post on these forums a lot. If you think I'm following you around or something, there is a word for that.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#37 - 2013-01-02 03:53:44 UTC
I'll never forget the time a Minmatar player berated me in local because I expressed my preference for Amarr ships.

Some people get WAY too immersed.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

FoxBird Freir
Bloomberg Horizont
#38 - 2013-01-02 04:00:22 UTC  |  Edited by: FoxBird Freir
Better they do it there than on the streets of our cities where the children can see.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#39 - 2013-01-02 04:00:44 UTC
I once roleplayed as a cyno scout pilot. Got a warning from the STO mods because I was scaring the other players.
Super spikinator
Hegemonous Conscripts
#40 - 2013-01-02 04:02:07 UTC
Some Rando wrote:
I was tooling around in Brapelille today and noticed a lot of roleplaying going on in local. Is this a taste of the future of high-sec, roleplaying everywhere?

Brapelille. Gallente space. Why does this sound familiar? Were they RPing a cult perhaps?